Poll

There are a lot of odd and unique ways to make money in the Sims 3. What way has worked well for your Sims?

Hacking - Nightly forays into the internet underworld plundering other Sims' cash
58 (26.1%)
Kleptomania - "Nice lamp, I think I'll take it!"
90 (40.5%)
Gold Digger - Get enough to live on, cuz once you snag a sucker you're set for life.
32 (14.4%)
Mooching - "Can I have 200 Simoleons, Sim I just met?"
7 (3.2%)
Solving the Unsolvable - Surviving on mental power alone
10 (4.5%)
Finding Stars - Mapping the Galaxy for Fun and Profit
25 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Favorite Offbeat Way to Make Money in The Sims 3  (Read 66323 times)

Reesaroo

Re: Favorite Offbeat Way to Make Money in The Sims 3
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 11:13:17 PM »
::hmpfph:: I'm gonna go pout in my little one star corner.   >:(

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
I'm not going to change my vote, but I have to say that after just doing Gold Digger very quickly, I'm impressed with pocketing $300,000 Simoleons in the first 10 days.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 09:51:11 PM »
I guess I'm like Reesaroo and Pam...too goody-two-shoes for my own good.  ::)

Most favorite way to make money, though it's not really off beat, is fishing.  Wow, between vampire fish and robot fish, sims can really rake in the dough.  Mine was making around 2,000 every 2-3 days.  He'd go play his guitar for tips in the AM and run around, going to science facility and graveyard, fishing through to supper.  Deathfish bring a nice sum also but must be caught after midnight.

Btw, the 3 sims challenge sounds very interesting, and fun.   

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Try making a pond in your yard, and stocking it with death fish. You'd need ten in your inventory to do this. You can stock multiple nodes into the pond - one for death fish, one for vampire fish etc. Then you'll be guaranteed to catch that fish when using that spot.

Heading out to your magical pond and catching death fish 24/7 might be seen as a bit offbeat.

bshag

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
Great idea Carl!  I read on sims3 forum how someone put several different kinds of fish in pond but could only catch one kind.  ???  So probably will only stock with vampires...can fish for those anytime.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
You can catch any fish that you've got stocked in your pond, you just have to have enough of it.  Even though you need 10 to be able to stock the pond, that doesn't give it enough to fish.  The more fish you put into the pond, the better the fishing becomes.  So, you don't put just the 10 fish.  You have to keep putting 10 fish over and over to stock it to the point that it becomes a decent fishing spot.  I guess what I'm saying is that the fish don't reproduce.  You have to keep putting them into the pond for it to grow.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Reesaroo

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
I was wondering how stocking the pond worked.  Thanks for clarifying, Pam.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »
Thanks Pam...I'm definitely going to try several different kinds.   ;)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »
Did anybody know that with Klepto you can be a car thief? Too bad they aren't worth as much as you'd think. I think an 80,000 car only sells for like 6,000 simoleons.

JohnnyDiscard

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:11 PM »
Did anybody know that with Klepto you can be a car thief? Too bad they aren't worth as much as you'd think. I think an 80,000 car only sells for like 6,000 simoleons.

I don't like that the car just goes into the family inventory.  It would be much sweeter if the Sim drove off in the car.

Offline ShelleyB

• Nooboo
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »
Another FYI:  I had a sim that actually EARNED 2.5 mill the old fashioned way--he grew money trees.  It seems to me that most of the special seeds end up being money trees so I went around and only picked up the special seeds.  After he had so much money (he started off as a rock star and held concerts and signed autographs every time the game allowed him to).  Also, his wife was a stay at home mother and made tons of money writing Romance novels until she got the option to write Masterpieces.  This is how you make loads of money as an author.  Anyway, this guy didn't have to show up for work after becoming a rock star so went fishing every day.  If you work at it a little, get perfect angelfish and then fish for deathfish EVERY night.  The best I've gotten so far is 5,000 simoleans PER FISH with a max of six fish per night (midnight until 5 am).  Yes folks, that's 30,000 PER NIGHT for seven nights a week for........210,000 simoleans each week.  (Sorry this is so long.)  If you don't mind using cheats like motherlode and kaching, there is a mega cheat that allows you to set how much money you want in one cheat.  I haven't used any of the money cheats because I like to play, but the mega cheat is familyfunds [family name, like mine is Anderson] and amount.  Example:  familyfunds Anderson 99999999.  Then you have all the money you want...but it isn't as much fun.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »
Yes starting with nothing and making money is one of the most fun parts for me. I like to gain skill levels and improve my Sim and his home. I actually like having to prioritize what he'll buy first. I think, "What can I buy with this cash that will help him to earn even more money and be successful?"

The number of different ways to make money is one of the things that's keeping this game alive for me.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »
I like the money trees, too.  At last count, I think there were 37 money trees on the Dreamweaver Estate, with more seeds that haven't been planted yet.  In addition to finding money tree seeds, the trees also drop seeds every now and then.  Just pick them up and plant them for more trees!

As far as special seeds, many that you find are likely to be for a money tree.  Other special seeds will produce the life plant, the death flower plant, and the flame fruit bush.  You can tell the money tree seeds from the others because they are slightly more gold in color.  If you have multiple special seeds in your inventory, view the details of the stack by clicking the upper left corner of the seed picture in your inventory.  This will let you see each individual seed and you can easily see which is the more gold color money tree seed.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
Great tip on the seed colors, Pam. I was letting them sprout before I could tell. Now it'll be easy.

Snooty

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 06:03:45 AM »
I once started in a too big of a lot and didn't have any cash left. I visited the neighbors and ate and showered there. That's pretty funny actually; They kick you out continuously but I just came back again and repeated. But it's somewhat time-consuming so I started to collect rocks and gems and made more then enough to build up my house.