Author Topic: Photography - Turning photos into paintings?  (Read 33466 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Photography - Turning photos into paintings?
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »
I have a weird question. First a little background. In one of my current games, I'm playing Vanessa an Architect I grabbed her the expensive camera. Can't remember it's name right off the top of my head. Had her start taking photos around Sunset Valley and of her remodels. She's only a level 5 or 6 right now and is limited with what sizes and modes she can use with the camera. I'm more interested in taking photos just for the fun of it, instead of doing any of the photography challenges.

Question: I've gotten some really awesome photos of stuff around Sunset Valley. I would love for Vanessa to look at them and hopefully make them into paintings or maybe drawings. Is this possible?

Thank you, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
Re: Photography - Turning photos into paintings?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:49:23 AM »
If your sim is at a certain level of painting skill (can't remember which level exactly), they have the option to do a "still life". This is where you choose something your sim can see, for him/her to paint. So I suppose you could choose to paint a still life of a photo that is hung on the wall. The thing with that is, in my experience I have found that the painter does not do an exact copy of the image, rather it morphs it in someway by changing the colour, making it blurry, etc. So it won't look exactly like the actual photo.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, anyone. I don't know of any way to transfer an image onto a drawing/sketch.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:52:17 AM »
Well, if the thing you had photographed is near, you can, after level 6-7 of painting, 'remember a shot' or something like that via the mobile phone. Then, have your Sim click on the easel and the option to paint by memory should be visible. And, as Pally said, the painting won't be clear based on the Sim's traits.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:00:46 AM »
Sims can still make somewhat clear paintings on occasion.  Some traits will add some particularities to it sometimes, but this doesn't always happen.  But even when the traits don't distort the painting, it's still a painting.  Paintings are never as clear as photographs are.

And as far as I am aware, the only way to transfer a photograph into a painting is by using the cell phone to memorize a scene.  I might be wrong, but I don't believe this can be done with the actual cameras.  And I don't think this can even be done with sketches.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:19:55 AM »
Thank you for the responses!! What I am hoping to accomplish is to turn the photos into paintings so I can place them onto the wall. I find it fun to watch my Sim people paint and sketch. I love to see what they come up with.

MrsFlynn
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:21:22 AM »
And as far as I am aware, the only way to transfer a photograph into a painting is by using the cell phone to memorize a scene.  I might be wrong, but I don't believe this can be done with the actual cameras.  And I don't think this can even be done with sketches.

"Memorize Scene" takes a photo on your cellphone, which you can then paint.

As for MrsFlynn's question, I am fairly sure that there is absolutely no way to transform a photo into a painting.
Oh, and the camera's name (this is not exact):
Hikon Gladiator.

EDIT: MrsFlynn, we posted at the same time. I think I might've accidentally answered your question you just posted.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:46:45 AM »
What I am hoping to accomplish is to turn the photos into paintings so I can place them onto the wall.

You do know you can place photos onto the walls, like you can with paintings? Or have I misunderstood you?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:13 AM »
Yes I know I can place photos on the wall. :) But the bummer of the thing is Vanessa can only take small - like tiny photos and maybe medium photos right now.

There's a few of the smaller photos that are really cool - One of the light house, the ocean, and my favorite is the one with a Gnome in it. I would really love to see that one in done up in a painting.

I haven't tried the tips yet. It's like almost 1 am here and I should be getting to bed. *Snicker* Trying to be better about not playing marathon sessions of Sims 3.

MrsFlynn

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »
MrsFlynn, unless the gnome is the subject of the painting, as your skill increases, those types of photos will become rare.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 04:06:19 AM »
Yes I know I can place photos on the wall. :) But the bummer of the thing is Vanessa can only take small - like tiny photos and maybe medium

Don't worry, after she's gained a few more levels Vanessa will be able to take Large and Panorama photos. You can check out Carl's Photography Guide for more information if you want it.  ;D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:07:05 AM »
...and my favorite is the one with a Gnome in it.

Lol, that's normally considered a failed picture (unless you were actually taking a picture of a gnome, that is).  

But I suppose art is subjective, and like beauty, it's strictly in the eye of the beholder.  ;)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:16:57 AM »
Oh *Blush* I didn't know that = Gnomes poping up in photos are considered a failed picture. I just thought it was a cute photo. I love the Gnomes in the game. Some of my gardening Sims have them in their gardens. So I thought it was kind of special to find one of my Sims was able to take a photo and a Gnome popped up in it.

MrsFlynn

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 05:01:17 AM »
Yeah the gnomes usually appear in earlier levels and are considered failures, but I also think these photos are cute. But not the black fingers that also appear instead. Memorizing a scene can only be done by the mobile phone, not any of the cameras.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
Well, like I said:  if you like it, that's all that really matters.  ;)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »
I took my Gnome photo and putting it up on the wall. Grabbed the cellphone and selected Memorize Scene - or something like that. Placed the view finder thing as best I could over the Gnome photo and took a snap shot of it.  Painted from memory.  The painting came out okay. Not what what I had hoped. But cute paintings none the less. I kept both Gnome paintings instead of selling them.

As I was trying this out, took some more photos of around Sunset Valley and Vanessa went up to level 7 of Photography!! :) That means better - larger photos!! Whoot!!  After I found that, I ended up deleting most of the smaller photos and getting rid of the ones that have thumb prints in them. I had to laugh at that. Vanessa takes photos like I do. *Snicker*

Thank you SO much for the help!! :)

MrsFlynn

anything