Author Topic: Blacksmith's Shop  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Skyberry

• Llama Wrangler
Blacksmith's Shop
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:41:26 AM »
Has anyone figured out how to actually sell things in the smithy's little shop there? All I have figured out is how to put merchandise in there but when I go to open the shop it says nothing is up for sale. How do I price things so I can open the little stall up?  Knowing me it is probably something really simple that I can't see for looking.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
Re: Blacksmith's Shop
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:55:34 AM »
I don't think you need to price anything.  Just click on the stall and select 'open for business' and then stand there.  Customers will start to come by the stall and you just start to interact with them.  There are 4 blacksmith interactions - compliment taste, butter up, hustle, and ask to buy goods.  I think you keep interacting with the customer until you are ready to ask them to buy - not sure what increases your chances of successfully selling an item yet, but you might want to check the merchant thread because I suspect it's similar.  When someone buys an item you will get a pop up message that tells you what sold and for how much.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Skyberry

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:02:09 AM »
Thank you so much. I wonder if it was because of the time I was trying to open the stall that i couldn't? I tried again right after I did the Dailies and I also did what you said and it worked!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 06:11:31 AM »
It reminds me of the mechanism used in Sims 2 Open for Business where you need to persuade the person to buy something. I made §400 on my first two items I sold on it, they were not amazing quality or high level items either so I can't wait to see what happens when my Smith makes better stuff and sells it.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
I found I was wasting a lot of time talking to potential customers - so much so that I accidentally missed one of my responsibilities.  So far this is my least favorite game mechanic and I probably won't spend much time on my merchant because of it.  I'll take less money by selling my smith's goods at the village shop rather than stand around buttering up customers.

Offline HtFde

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
I found I was wasting a lot of time talking to potential customers - so much so that I accidentally missed one of my responsibilities.  So far this is my least favorite game mechanic and I probably won't spend much time on my merchant because of it.  I'll take less money by selling my smith's goods at the village shop rather than stand around buttering up customers.

Well, it depends on the traits and the victims, er, customers. With "Eloquent" I usually find a handful of customers who only need (it's green from the start) a "Butter Up" and a "Hustle" before they can be convinced to buy-

Add the 150 EXP with each sale ....

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »
I seem to learn something new everytime I come here.  ;D  I didn't realise the blacksmith had a shop too.

When I was first playing the merchant, and it was one of those two partner quests, I was trying to get her to make friends with all the customers.  It was annoying that she would spend so much time on them only to sell them one turnip.  Finally, I read Carl's guide and it was much easier and more sensible to get the sales.  I had been avoiding the merchant because it seemed too hard but now I think I rather like playing one.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
Well, it depends on the traits and the victims, er, customers. With "Eloquent" I usually find a handful of customers who only need (it's green from the start) a "Butter Up" and a "Hustle" before they can be convinced to buy-

Add the 150 EXP with each sale ....

Ahhh, so I specced my blacksmith (and merchant for that matter) wrong.  He doesn't have eloquent so that may be why I'm having a hard time selling items (butter up and hustle are rarely green for me at the outset).  I also noticed that if the 'ask to buy' interaction fails, the relationship takes a small hit and I have to dig myself out of that hole before trying again.  I don't know if the same thing happens if butter up or hustle fails - will have to look for that tonight.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
Mine has Uncouth and manages to do it in about 3/4 Interactions, just wish you could move it because it's hard to see and people block it which puts others of being able to buy things. My bggest sale so far has been a §400 off it, don't know what it was though because I forgot.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
I decided to have another go with the blacksmith stall and was actually able to make several thousand simoles over the course of a quest.  My biggest sales were of 2 precise scimitars which sold for just over $700 each.  Even cheap items like crude longswords and crude plate mail made good profit considering how cheap the materials are and how easy they are to make.

The only part that I really don't like about the stall is that there appear to be pathing issues.  As soon as my smith opened for business he would get 2-4 sims browsing.  Even after he selected a target and launched his butter up and hustle actions, the other sims stayed there.  About half the time he lost the sale, even with the action button in the green, because the buyer couldn't get to the stall to complete the purchase quickly enough and the action automatically cancelled.  This was incredibly frustrating.  Has anyone found a way to work around this problem?

Offline HtFde

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
I decided to have another go with the blacksmith stall and was actually able to make several thousand simoles over the course of a quest.  My biggest sales were of 2 precise scimitars which sold for just over $700 each.  Even cheap items like crude longswords and crude plate mail made good profit considering how cheap the materials are and how easy they are to make.

The only part that I really don't like about the stall is that there appear to be pathing issues.  As soon as my smith opened for business he would get 2-4 sims browsing.  Even after he selected a target and launched his butter up and hustle actions, the other sims stayed there.  About half the time he lost the sale, even with the action button in the green, because the buyer couldn't get to the stall to complete the purchase quickly enough and the action automatically cancelled.  This was incredibly frustrating.  Has anyone found a way to work around this problem?

Nods, get rid of the browsers - in one scenario, alas, there is the rare material trader who won't buy. But I usually get them cleaned off by selling things to those in front of the stalls.

Zetshia

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »
About half the time he lost the sale, even with the action button in the green, because the buyer couldn't get to the stall to complete the purchase quickly enough and the action automatically cancelled.  This was incredibly frustrating.  Has anyone found a way to work around this problem?

Try placing a bookcase and some chairs on the bottom floor or the smithy so the visiting sims can read the books. Sims seem to be obsessed with reading so that should keep most of them out of your way while you sell to one sim at a time.

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
Try placing a bookcase and some chairs on the bottom floor or the smithy so the visiting sims can read the books. Sims seem to be obsessed with reading so that should keep most of them out of your way while you sell to one sim at a time.

Oooh, I like it!  Gonna go give it a try!

Offline Jonna

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 01:33:19 AM »
If you're playing with the merchant as well (so you would be able to check), or if you just get lucky, an item the blacksmith sells might be a "hot" item for the day.  It's not really something I would plan on, but it's a nice bonus, especially because you probably won't be expecting it.

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
I tried the bookcase trick and it seemed to help a little.  I also put in a card table and a wine cask to lure people into the building instead of blocking the front of the stall.  I ended up just selling my items through inventory because my blacksmith is level 10 and it wasn't worth the aggravation for a slightly higher profit.  Hopefully this is something that EA will address in future patches.