Author Topic: What is the maximum population of a sims 3 town or city?  (Read 37538 times)

Leto85

What is the maximum population of a sims 3 town or city?
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
After reading through the topic: 'Controlling a whole family of sims?' I've read some interesting stuff that Hosfac finds out about if a town is populated to much with to many sims, sims will start dying 'exidentially.'
So, if one of our over enthousiast builders (could include myself) is planning on building a metropolis in Create a World, I am afraid it will be a ghost town; deserted.
I've noticed this with filming in Bridgeport first, but didn't put a lot of atention to it as I was speeding up time anyway.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Re: What is the maximum population of a sims 3 town or city?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
I really think it's as much as the game can hold without getting glitchy. Or as much as it needs, i.e. in a recent career challenge, players have been complaining about various glitches and bugs, which were (most likely) results of over-population. Careers require co-workers, the game keeps either making existing Sims become co-workers or creates new ones, thus over-populating the town. Sunset Valley has nearly 150 Sims in it altogether. In my opinion, the game can hold double of that, maybe even more - near 500 Sims - in one town. But, to be honest, I doubt anyone will ever reach that mark when playing a normal Dynasty game/small family/one Sim household. Sure, huge Legacies have been known to cause such problems.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
Hmmm so my Legacy Family with, 19 Sims from their Blood Line that are Alive (I hope it's 19 I have not checked lately, all those cousins!) and the Generation Eighths all about to hit Young Adult Hood.  :o I better make a back up.   8)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
I really wish I knew a definite answer on that. It seems if I start populating a town with my sims and their children/family, people start randomly dying. And the only thing I can think of I flood the town with too many people. Story Progression is mean sometimes!  >:(

Offline flootiebeauty

• Townie
  • Someday, I'm going to pilot the monorail.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
I think that I read once that the maximum number of sims allowed in Sunset Valley is 150, but I have no idea if that's true. I would think that there's some sort of limit to prevent graphic issues, like how the maximum amount of sims at a party depends on your graphic card.

Leto85

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:04:58 AM »
I think that I read once that the maximum number of sims allowed in Sunset Valley is 150, but I have no idea if that's true. I would think that there's some sort of limit to prevent graphic issues, like how the maximum amount of sims at a party depends on your graphic card.

I was hoping that it somehow got influenced by your graphic card or something other hardware thing that can control this. 150 sims maxium? If that is true I can not call Bridgeport a city anymore.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:28:34 AM »
There are 25 families in Sunset Valley, plus at least 50 social service Sims, paparazzis, in addition to 30 or more homeless Sims, and our own families. How do you imagine that to be under 150?
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:35:02 AM »
Oh, well this sucks. I thought when Hosfac said that your sims would start dying, etc. he meant if it was really LOADS of sims. Oh, goodbye dreams of a 30 generation legacy... :'(

Does the size of your game card, etc. not make any diference?

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
As far as I know, the specs of a computer influence the maximum of population you can have in a world, just like the number of Sims invited to a party or visiting bars in Late Night.

Exactly how much population for what hardware seems still a bit unknown, or at least I've never read anything about precise numbers. As a rule of thumb, I would say the average 150 Sims is +- the population for an average computer. Players with lower end computers might witness the moving out or death spread, if the population in their save outnumbers the maximum pop sustainable for their computer. On the other hand, players with very good computers can handle much larger population, up to 250-300 Sims, from what I've read.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 06:48:32 AM »
Oh, well this sucks. I thought when Hosfac said that your sims would start dying, etc. he meant if it was really LOADS of sims. Oh, goodbye dreams of a 30 generation legacy... :'(

Fez, I think you can raise a thirty generation legacy. How? Make sure every generation has not more than two offsprings, thus allowing a small family. Also keep as much Sims as you can in your main household, not to let them fall under the power of the Story Progression. ;)

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
Fez, I think you can raise a thirty generation legacy. How? Make sure every generation has not more than two offsprings, thus allowing a small family. Also keep as much Sims as you can in your main household, not to let them fall under the power of the Story Progression. ;)

YEY! ;D Hmm.. my first sim and her husband are on their way to having five children, though. It's their lifetime wish. It wouldn't make much of a difference, no? Three more sims? Oh, I do hope it doesn't! 

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:48:20 AM »
YEY! ;D Hmm.. my first sim and her husband are on their way to having five children, though. It's their lifetime wish. It wouldn't make much of a difference, no? Three more sims? Oh, I do hope it doesn't! 

I don't think it would, but not to cause any further difficulties, you could move the three (or two) out for them to find love and raise a family on their own. Though, you can always change the lifetime wish! ;D

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 08:05:07 AM »
I don't think it would, but not to cause any further difficulties, you could move the three (or two) out for them to find love and raise a family on their own.

I shall do just that.  :D

secretsim

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
I think I must be hitting the max, whatever it is, in Bridgeport then. I tend to play large families, and many at the same time. One family had five children -- three of them disappeared. I have no idea where they went and since nobody has a relationship with them, I can't "invite over." They're still in the family tree, though. One of the mothers of my Sim families somehow moved to a foreign country because now I can "Chat Long Distance" or "Invite Foreign Visitor" with her.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
I think I must be hitting the max, whatever it is, in Bridgeport then. I tend to play large families, and many at the same time. One family had five children -- three of them disappeared. I have no idea where they went and since nobody has a relationship with them, I can't "invite over." They're still in the family tree, though. One of the mothers of my Sim families somehow moved to a foreign country because now I can "Chat Long Distance" or "Invite Foreign Visitor" with her.

These are probably glitches and/or bugs. What we are discussing is the reaction and solution of Story Progression of overpopulating, which is, killing Sims of all ages. You can find more help about your problems in the Miscellaneous Help board. Or Technical Help. ;)

anything