Author Topic: What is the maximum population of a sims 3 town or city?  (Read 37534 times)

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
Re: What is the maximum population of a sims 3 town or city?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
 In the recent past one of my projects was to completely redo Barnacle Bay. I didn't play the game while I was redoing the town because I wanted to play with a town full of Sims that I had created. I took one house at a time, redid the house, deleted any townie and replaced them with Sims I had made. I had a random assortment of singles, families with teens, families with various age children, elders and couples. Once I finished I started to play one of the families. By the time I had gotten to the third generation I noticed that the town was starting to die off.  A lot of houses were empty and new Sims weren't being created by the game. My third generation Sims had no one new to meet and the town was getting empty.

I was playing with normal aging on, story progression and high free will. There were a few empty houses so I know I hadn't over populated. I ended up with a fewer number of Sims than BB had in a normal game.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »
I believe the number changes depending on your hardware capabilities...or at least what the game thinks your hardware capabilities are.  I have read that the game often under-compensates, erring on the side of caution and all.  This is also the reason that a lot of players don't see a lot of sims in the Late Night clubs.

And no, it's not usually a massive loss of virtual life, and I apologize if I gave you that impression.  The game will often act before that's necessary.  But when babies in particular start starving to death, drowning and dying in fires, players often think something is wrong with their game.  I was only trying to point out that this is just how things work.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
Oh. Sorry I understood you wrong, Hosfac. :)

Offline RainaElf

• GrandmaSim
  • Llama Wrangler
  • over the river & through the woods
    • Fragile Winds
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 06:12:32 PM »
There are 25 families in Sunset Valley, plus at least 50 social service Sims, paparazzis, in addition to 30 or more homeless Sims, and our own families. How do you imagine that to be under 150?

according to the official SimsWiki at Fandom.com:

86 Sims - There are a total of 86 Sims living in Sunset Valley.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 10:43:04 AM »
@RainaElf: when you count all homeless/service sims it's 105! (and these are just the ones on the Sims Wiki, depending on the EPs you have and lots place, more of those are generated for new roles too and almost immediately) While I usually don't like thread necromancy, there is a lot to discuss here so thank you (really).

The rumored "150 sim" limit: I've seen this as a default limit set by NRaas' StoryProgression mod and it only applies to residential sims there. I have no idea if Twallan took this from EA's coding or not but I've never seen the resident number in an EA town naturally exceed that during playtime or even come close, especially if you're playing vanilla. I remove that cap whenever I play with the mod and while it has gone over 150 (like to 160), it still usually needs my intervention in terms of manually impregnating sims, messing with age spans, recklessly adding to my own household, etc.

That being said, data is stored for EVERY sim that is generated in a save, with the possible exception of carpool/taxi/bus drivers. I actually took a look at my old finished immortal dynasty and it was chugging along with the data of thousands of sims. I did keep my town's residential population higher than it would naturally be through many male sims who had children outside of the household but the real deluge of info is from service sims you may never hire at all.

Hardware influencing EA's story progression: Now I cannot vouch for this on earlier patches, but it hasn't been true for a while, mostly because EA's story progression hasn't done much of anything since the Pets patch or thereabouts. For a while we were testing out if any combo of hardware/EP selections would bring back the coveted townie pregnancies with story progression but it wasn't true in 2013 with 2013 hardware, and isn't true as I sit at a souped-up gaming desktop. What I can vouch for is that there is no shiny graphics card or RAM amount that will stop sims from getting culled. There's also no hard limit to the sims you can save from it...kinda.

This is a tangent but there are three categories of sims that EA will not cull through story progression alone: previously-played sims (whether it was a previously active household or a sim/multiple sims that used to live with you and since moved out), your coworkers, and any sim that comes pre-packaged into a custom world, because they are considered previously played. Custom worlds are an interesting one because a lot of them have more residents than any EA world. Our own Union Cove has over 100 residents and not a single one will die or move out beyond dying of old age eventually or other non-story progression deaths (like meteor strikes).
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline RainaElf

• GrandmaSim
  • Llama Wrangler
  • over the river & through the woods
    • Fragile Winds
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »
i really need to come over here more. i totally missed this. thank you so much. :)