Author Topic: The Flowers waiting for Grim - Completed  (Read 87010 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Flowers waiting for Grim - Plans and Further Revelations from Leo
« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
 Oh, I see.  That's an expensive way to learn the lesson about registering your games.  Rotten situation.  Maybe there's a chance your CD container will turn up?  Good luck with it all. 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline donatello

• "Dreamin' dreams to oneday carve in stone..." - Prime Circle
  • Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
« Reply #346 on: October 31, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
Thanks. I'm still sore about my design programs though... A new pc will have me back to square one on a whole new level.
"Life is not worth living unless lived for someone else" - Albert Einstein
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Gwendy

• Occult
  • And this is why we can't have nice things.
« Reply #347 on: November 14, 2012, 06:32:07 AM »
I really do love your stories. They're very sweet and slice of life, but they have so much creativity to them! I also really like Mr. Payne as kind of a legacy character that ties everything together. He actually reminds me somewhat of The Doctor from Dr. Who, except that Mr. Payne isn't much of a harbinger of tragedy. He's quite the opposite really. Point being, I'm eighty percent sure he's a Time Lord.

And I just have an itty-bitty bit of a critique. I really like the May-December romance going on with Leo/Sunflower and Laurie/Marigold. I think it's a nice way of saying how even though they're old in body, they still have youthful, vibrant souls and hearts. What rubs me the wrong way a bit is how when Leo proposed to Sunflower, he already had a Young Again potion in reserve, and gave it to her as essentially an early wedding present. I know that it's meant to be a really sweet gesture, but I kind of saw it as a bit of an undermine, like Leo was implying that he'd only marry Sunflower if she was younger. I know that that's not what you were trying to say, and you meant it as a sweet gesture, and I have absolutely no problem with the twins getting Young Again potions in some way, because yes, they did just start living, but I did not like when and how they got them. To me, I think it would have sat better if Leo either told the girls what he was doing and they kept it an open conversation throughout, or if the girls had no idea that the potions came from Leo.

Everything else is wonderful though. I can't wait for the wedding!
The Hideous Immortal Dynasty

I think those pictures gave me heartburn.
-Shirin's roommate's Seal of Approval
------------

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #348 on: November 14, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
I really do love your stories. They're very sweet and slice of life, but they have so much creativity to them! I also really like Mr. Payne as kind of a legacy character that ties everything together. He actually reminds me somewhat of The Doctor from Dr. Who, except that Mr. Payne isn't much of a harbinger of tragedy. He's quite the opposite really. Point being, I'm eighty percent sure he's a Time Lord.

Oh my gosh I LOVE that theory! I can't believe I didn't think of it myself! It makes so much sense.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Gwendy

• Occult
  • And this is why we can't have nice things.
« Reply #349 on: November 15, 2012, 12:56:22 AM »
Oh my gosh I LOVE that theory! I can't believe I didn't think of it myself! It makes so much sense.
Haha, thanks 'Rosa. :) I'd honestly be surprised if nobody else mentioned it before, since usually any character from any tv show, book, comic, movie, etc that can teleport between time and space is almost immediately called out as a Time Lord. (My personal favorite is that Ms. Frizzle from Magic School Bus is River Song in disguise, because that makes Magic School Bus the most amazing spin off show ever.)
The Hideous Immortal Dynasty

I think those pictures gave me heartburn.
-Shirin's roommate's Seal of Approval
------------

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:51 AM »
AAAAHHHHH Gwendy you are rocking my world, I knew I loved Magic School Bus for a reason!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »

And I just have an itty-bitty bit of a critique. I really like the May-December romance going on with Leo/Sunflower and Laurie/Marigold. I think it's a nice way of saying how even though they're old in body, they still have youthful, vibrant souls and hearts. What rubs me the wrong way a bit is how when Leo proposed to Sunflower, he already had a Young Again potion in reserve, and gave it to her as essentially an early wedding present. I know that it's meant to be a really sweet gesture, but I kind of saw it as a bit of an undermine, like Leo was implying that he'd only marry Sunflower if she was younger. I know that that's not what you were trying to say, and you meant it as a sweet gesture, and I have absolutely no problem with the twins getting Young Again potions in some way, because yes, they did just start living, but I did not like when and how they got them. To me, I think it would have sat better if Leo either told the girls what he was doing and they kept it an open conversation throughout, or if the girls had no idea that the potions came from Leo.

Everything else is wonderful though. I can't wait for the wedding!

Thanks very much for the feedback, Gwendy.  It didn't occur to me that it would appear that Leo was only interested in Sunflower if she would agree to become younger, but I understand what you're saying.  The way I saw it, Leo was in love with Sunflower and didn't really care about her age.  But he knew that she cared about it - she and Marigold had come to Sunset Valley to die, essentially.  They were "waiting for Grim".  I saw Leo and the Young Again potion more as him offering her a real alternative rather than making it a condition of their relationship.  I'm sorry if my writing didn't make that clear enough.

And to those waiting for an update, please be patient a little longer.  I've been so engrossed in the Mission Highly Unlikely story, that I think I'm going to have to finish that one off before I can return to the Flowers and the Treatment Centre.  But it won't be too much longer now.  Thanks for understanding.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #352 on: December 31, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
Milk and a bit of salt has undone many a burnt dish, and some spices and reheating does the rest.

That's so true and if you still can't get it quite right I find just a hint of sugar or honey does the trick!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #353 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:43 AM »

Oh wow didn't even think of that and I love Dr Who!!! I'm dying for the new series to come to South Africa's screens....

Hey Schip You created another Full-Blood Time Lord!! YAY Schip!!!

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #354 on: December 31, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »
Schip other members and I have said this many times and each time it is just as true: You really should write a book! Maybe a Sim Novel for all those simmers out there without internet access or who haven't discovered our forum yet!!!! Can't wait for the next update!!!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
This story has been lagging for some time, and I think it's time I declared it finished.  It is essentially done in that it has reached the conclusion I intended for it.  Somehow I got the idea that it would be nice to finish with a big splashy double wedding, but to be honest (and I think anyone who reads my stories knows this), pretty weddings just aren't my strength or my interest.  I wanted the Flowers sisters to have a second chance at a happy life, and they're ready to embark on their new life now.  Perhaps I might revisit their lives sometime in the future, or perhaps not.  In any case, I do think I'm ready to close their story with "they lived happily ever after."

I'd like to say a little bit about why I started this story.  I was out with some friends one day, wonderful women who are all a bit older than I, and several of them were talking about feeling useless - now that they were older, not working or raising children, there seemed to be no place for them in society.  They had become irrelevant.  Personally, I like being useless, so it was a bit hard for me to understand their perspective, but I thought about it.  Older women, many of whom have spent their lives looking after others, are often shunted aside and ignored.  Even here in the forum's stories, when I started this story, it seemed to me that all the stories tended to be about younger Sims.  Oh, there were all the Elders in the Immortal Dynasties, of course, because the Dynasty rules require them.  But where were the stories featuring Elders just because they're interesting in their own right?  I thought they could be interesting, and that's why I started this story.

Of course, real life doesn't come with Young Again potions.  But being valued for who one is, is a potent rejuvenator, and that would be my wish for all Elders.

In response to a request, Laurie is going to be uploaded to the Swap Shop in the next few days.  I do think he's quite an attractive Sim, but I can't make any promises that his extraordinary (and to me, inexplicable) cooking skills will come with him!

Thanks very much to everyone who has taken the time to read this story and leave comments.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
I must salute you for another great story, Schipperke. Sunflower and Marigold's journey was one that I've enjoyed ever since it began. Once again, you've shown me another way to think about the Sims. I'm glad our heroines found their purpose, and I'm glad that they've received their happy ending.

You thank us for reading and commenting on this story, but I thank you for writing it.

Offline donatello

• "Dreamin' dreams to oneday carve in stone..." - Prime Circle
  • Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
Schip, this was a beautiful, emotional adventure I'll not easily forget. I got the point of the story long ago. I myself have a saying: "Old people just want to feel useful." Learning that at a very young age is a privilege I had only because my grandmother is the most fervent servant of family I have come across in all my life. All she says half the time is "I will never not be there for my children" It breaks my heart to see how her children still make her suffer at 80 because they don't see beyond their lust for acquisition and pleasure... But she has successfully raised one heart to appreciate this truth. To appreciate her. She deserves better. She deserves rest. I wish I could grant her that... But in a divided family she'll always be her daughter's slave :(
"Life is not worth living unless lived for someone else" - Albert Einstein
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
Schip, this was a beautiful, emotional adventure I'll not easily forget. I got the point of the story long ago. I myself have a saying: "Old people just want to feel useful." Learning that at a very young age is a privilege I had only because my grandmother is the most fervent servant of family I have come across in all my life. All she says half the time is "I will never not be there for my children" It breaks my heart to see how her children still make her suffer at 80 because they don't see beyond their lust for acquisition and pleasure... But she has successfully raised one heart to appreciate this truth. To appreciate her. She deserves better. She deserves rest. I wish I could grant her that... But in a divided family she'll always be her daughter's slave :(

Donatello, thank you so much for sharing that.  You have the gift of being able to appreciate other peoples' good qualities, and it is indeed a rare and special gift.  I'm sure your grandmother appreciates her good fortune in having you as a grandson, whatever the other family members may think.

Louise56

Re: The Flowers waiting for Grim - Completed
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
This story was wonderful. Simmers love to set the elder age as short as possible. Elders can be fun to play too! I love how you play the sisters. I'm not a elder yet, but if I was a elder sim, I want you as a watcher. :)