Author Topic: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories Updated 12/2021  (Read 191260 times)

Sportsfan

Re: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »
Sorry to bother you!
    I'm planning on experimenting with putting the story shots/style into a format similar to comics. Is this okay? Each             
    post/chapter (I'm still working out how I would divide this haha) would be about 22 pages and 8.5" x 11". They would hold
    anywhere from 1-6 caps. Let me know!
                                                       - Mary

Leto did similar to that here:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,6650.0.html

Maybe that will give you an idea.

Mary-Greenman

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
Thanks Fan, I appreciate the link!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Sportsfan

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Thanks Fan, I appreciate the link!
You're welcome!

Offline MissYuna4ever

• Nooboo
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
Just a quick question - Are we allowed to link to a story hosted on wordpress or blogspot etc?

I prefer to use wordpress when I write stories of the Sims and I'm currently preparing to write a legacy but would like to know if I can use wordpress and link to the chapters here or would I have to write the chapters in the thread.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
Just a quick question - Are we allowed to link to a story hosted on wordpress or blogspot etc?

I prefer to use wordpress when I write stories of the Sims and I'm currently preparing to write a legacy but would like to know if I can use wordpress and link to the chapters here or would I have to write the chapters in the thread.
I'm pretty sure you'd be allowed as there are quite a few people who do that with their stories.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline MissYuna4ever

• Nooboo
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure you'd be allowed as there are quite a few people who do that with their stories.

Thanks - I did quickly look through about 10-15 stories on the board but they all seemed to be hosted in the thread, so I wasn't sure.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »
There are not many long running blog stories on the forum that we get links to. Simfulicious does her stories on blogs a bit I think.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
Yes, I do sometimes use a blog for my stories.  It is definitely allowed.

Offline Seera1024

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »
Couple questions:

1. My first chapter is going to feature the apprehension of a burglar using what shows up in the game: a fight scene covered with a dirt cloud. Would this be appropriate for this forum? I don't plan on putting a big sign in front of the house saying: please come rob me or anything so burglaries shouldn't happen too terribly often.

2. I do play with a few mods mainly to fix things and keep my game running smoothly. Since I'm hosting my story on my blog and advertising to other forums names to those mods might come up. I know I can't name them here, but would it cropping up on my blog be a problem? I suppose I can just post it in here, but I'd rather just post links to the blog so I'm not redoing the images (changing url to bbc code and resizing them since they're bigger than 640x480, I believe).

3. The spouse for my Differences in the Family Tree challenge is Neone Clashe. Her LTW is to be a Master Romancer. Of her progress towards her LTW, how much can I include and not become inappropriate? I don't plan on getting super detailed, but I would also like to acknowledge that she's working on her LTW if I choose to go for it.

4. Also if I do end up reposting here since my chapters are probably going to exceed 25 with duplicate posts removed most likely, would it be fine to double post in those instances? My chapters are basically going to end where I think it is appropriate, not because I've reached picture #25. I have 66 possible pictures for Chapter 1.0 and I only played for 4 Sim days. I highly doubt my chapter will be 66 pictures long, but I'll probably still exceed 25. I'm still in the process of writing it though

I will respect the decision here and I'll be sharing the story here anyways (or at least as long as it doesn't take a turn for the mature side). I figure this is the best way to pay my thanks for the great neighborhood: to let the creators of the neighborhood know how it progresses for at least one save file of mine.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 01:06:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum Seera! I Can answer you're first question. Showing the burglar's capturing is allowed as it doesn't actually show the fighting.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:33 AM »
3. The spouse for my Differences in the Family Tree challenge is Neone Clashe. Her LTW is to be a Master Romancer. Of her progress towards her LTW, how much can I include and not become inappropriate? I don't plan on getting super detailed, but I would also like to acknowledge that she's working on her LTW if I choose to go for it.

Technically anything up to WooHoo itself is OK, but WooHoo itself wouldn't be. However, I have seen some stories around where WooHoo/Try for Baby is featured, but I don't know if those chapters were posted before these rules.

Sportsfan

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 01:11:13 AM »
I've had pictures of sims woohooing all the time in my dynasty.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:09 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, Seera.

Let's see if I can address your questions.

1. My first chapter is going to feature the apprehension of a burglar using what shows up in the game: a fight scene covered with a dirt cloud. Would this be appropriate for this forum? I don't plan on putting a big sign in front of the house saying: please come rob me or anything so burglaries shouldn't happen too terribly often.

Showing the fight scene is fine.  The game censors it enough to make it appropriate for this Forum.

2. I do play with a few mods mainly to fix things and keep my game running smoothly. Since I'm hosting my story on my blog and advertising to other forums names to those mods might come up. I know I can't name them here, but would it cropping up on my blog be a problem? I suppose I can just post it in here, but I'd rather just post links to the blog so I'm not redoing the images (changing url to bbc code and resizing them since they're bigger than 640x480, I believe).

As long as the mention of mods isn't blatant or prominent and doesn't have links, I think it will be ok.  Also, just so you know, if you use our Gallery to upload your Sims 3 images, it will automatically re-size them to the correct size for the Forum.

We can't really tell you not to write about something that is clearly part of the game.  As long as it's written in good taste and not terribly detailed or "dirty", it should be ok.  The only small concern is that it'll be infidelity in a big way.  But still, that's what the game allows.

4. Also if I do end up reposting here since my chapters are probably going to exceed 25 with duplicate posts removed most likely, would it be fine to double post in those instances? My chapters are basically going to end where I think it is appropriate, not because I've reached picture #25. I have 66 possible pictures for Chapter 1.0 and I only played for 4 Sim days. I highly doubt my chapter will be 66 pictures long, but I'll probably still exceed 25. I'm still in the process of writing it though

If you mean to deliberately post one right after the other for the sole purpose of having 66 images, I'd have to say no.  It becomes an issue of loading times and available bandwidth, so we have to stay firm on the limit of 25 pictures per post.  From my own personal point of view, I've often seen stories that have a lot of pictures just for one action.  For example, there will be 4 shots of romantic interactions.  Or perhaps 4 shots of working in the garden.  The extra shots really aren't necessary for the story and could easily be left out.  Also, the idea isn't to stop your chapter when you reach 25 pictures, but rather to use no more than 25 pictures to illustrate the chapter.  There's a fine line between the difference, but perhaps you understand my point.

I appreciate your concern for following the rules of our Forum, so thanks very much for posting. 

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
I tend to leave a gap between updates, give people a chance to read the other one before posting another. If nobody posts in that time, I leave it till the next day or next few days and then I do post the following chapter. It doesn't hurt to delay chapters though. If for some reason you can't or haven't played Sims for a while you can still update your story until you catch up to where you are. Yay for Neone Clashe!  :D
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Seera1024

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »
2. I wasn't going to post a page listing the hacks I use, but my main concern was in the comments if it came up. I mainly use the most common three so I doubt I'll have to explain it too often.

3. Don't worry, I don't plan on it getting dirty and I won't be painting an idealic picture of cheating. And it's first person from my founder's point of view so I don't I'll be able to get detailed with Neone, but I mainly wanted to know for future knowledge of where the fine line between what happens in the game and what's too much detail was.

4. Fair concern. Another problem of mine that will cause me to run into problems is I'll play way too far ahead and then have to play catch up. How much time needs to pass before I can post the next chapter if I host the story here? And what about if it's hosted on a separate site?

Actually, I think I just solved my problem. I'll just create a separate blog for a PG version of the story. That way I'll just have to change the words and maybe delete a few pictures. I've even done what I can to avoid the generation that would have probably pushed the story to be too mature for this site. Or at least that's my plan at the moment. But I'll definitely post occasionally on the goings on of the Sims in Union Cove.

I'm not so sure it's a yay. They had $87 when their son was born. And they hadn't bought a crib yet...

anything