Author Topic: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories Updated 12/2021  (Read 191305 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 04:35:43 AM »
The method samoht04 describes is a good one, but we don't really expect you to deliberately delay posting a new chapter just because nobody has posted any comments to help create a gap between posts with pictures.  Giving a bit of time for folks to read the chapter is a good idea, just so they don't feel so overwhelmed with updates.  However, I've been known to post chapters quickly because I have to write when inspiration hits and once it's written, I always want to go ahead and share it.

I think you'll use good judgement, Seera.  If you run into any problems, you can always post them here or even send me a private message. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
I have a suggestion for your question regarding lots of screenshots, Seera. Although it is time consuming, what I do is I use Photobucket to make a collage and put two, sometimes four or even five or more, screenshots into one picture. Then I download the collage onto my laptop and upload it to the forum gallery so it is resized to preffered forum size. That way, you can show lots of pictures but it will still fit with the rules because that collage counts as one screenshot. :) That's also a solution for what Pam mentioned about the very common 'four pictures for romantic interactions'. When my sim proposed to her husband, I took four screenies then put them in a four-square-collage and uploaded it the way I described. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
In my personal opinion, the collages are harder to see because each image is small.  I'd rather see one good sized image of a proposal than four small images of it.  Sometimes it just seems like overkill when there are so many pictures of one thing, even if it's compressed down to meet the maximum image count for a post.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Sportsfan

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
I think that if you have 25 pictures in a chapter even that seems like too much. Usually a lot of them are unnecessary or they should be split into multiple chapters.
About updating: I don't update chapters on a computer (I always visit forum on itouch) but I always update the day that I upload the chapters pics to the gallery. That's pretty much every day I play the story file.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »
In my personal opinion, the collages are harder to see because each image is small.  I'd rather see one good sized image of a proposal than four small images of it.  Sometimes it just seems like overkill when there are so many pictures of one thing, even if it's compressed down to meet the maximum image count for a post.

I dislike having my screenshots in the full size, anyway because my graphics are so horrendous.  :-[

I think that if you have 25 pictures in a chapter even that seems like too much. Usually a lot of them are unnecessary or they should be split into multiple chapters.

My average is 16, although the chapter I'm currently writing will definitely have the maximum 25. My chapters tend to be very action-packed anyway and all include things that need to be included, especially the longer chapters. I make a really huge effort, for example in my legacy after my second heir has her wedding, I will be playing the game by switching households every day and making my story from two households' point of view to go with my storyline. :) What I'm trying to say is that 25 screenies might not be too much, especially if there is no point in the chapter that seems a right place to break off and start a new one, which is very often for me.

Offline Sarabi

• Townie
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
2. Limit screenshots to no more than 25 per post. The preferred size for the Forum is 640 x 480.  If you use the Carl's Sims 3 Gallery, it will automatically resize the images for you.

Is this still valid?  I've noticed that most of the stories lately seem to have 800 x 600 pix.

Thanks!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »
Is this still valid?  I've noticed that most of the stories lately seem to have 800 x 600 pix.

Thanks!

I believe it's still valid, but the Gallery automatically resizes pictures to the correct size for the Forum, so I haven't had to re-size manually lately.  I'll find out from Carl if it's still 640 x 480.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »
It's 800x600 these days, fixed!

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
I'm planning an Immortal Dynasty Story, or an attempt at one at least. I was wondering if it is acceptable practice to create the dynasty sim and save them to the Bin, and then start a family in a town to get a few screenshots of say the Sim as a child/teen, to help set up the story? As long as the Sim is then started again in a new town when the Dynasty officially begins? I would just want the Sims appearance to be exactly the same as in the Dynasty.
Thanks!

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:58 AM »
I'm planning an Immortal Dynasty Story, or an attempt at one at least. I was wondering if it is acceptable practice to create the dynasty sim and save them to the Bin, and then start a family in a town to get a few screenshots of say the Sim as a child/teen, to help set up the story? As long as the Sim is then started again in a new town when the Dynasty officially begins? I would just want the Sims appearance to be exactly the same as in the Dynasty.
Thanks!
That is allowed but it was probably a question for the Immortal Dynasty Thread.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 02:41:15 AM »
Thanks!

As long as it's a fresh, unplayed Sim at the point when you start the actual challenge, you're fine.  It would be a good idea to mention what you did in the first post of your story as an author's note so there's no confusion for the readers.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »
That's what I figured but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks Pam!

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline Coocoo girl

• The Desert Devourer
  • Occult
  • This isn't my simself, just to avoid confusion.
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
Are we allowed to make family trees?  You know, mainly just put the heirs, their sisters, the founder and their spouses.  Are we allowed to do that?  If we're not allowed to do that on here then where do we do it?  I've been thinking about doing something like that.
EAT COOKIES.  You'll like them!
Coocoos current story:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,11405.0.html (Light legacy)
New chapter!:All that glitters is not gold(but there is some gold)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »
Are we allowed to make family trees?  You know, mainly just put the heirs, their sisters, the founder and their spouses.  Are we allowed to do that?  If we're not allowed to do that on here then where do we do it?  I've been thinking about doing something like that.

Do you mean make an image of a family tree and post it? I've done that, personally for me it's helpful because it can remind you of who is who and how they are relevant to the story. E.g. Cousin = Daughter of X who was Sister of Y who is Mother of Z. There are various family tree websites which allow you to create a fictional family tree that you can link to, several people do as you can also add images and details easily, I've used Family Echo.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Chuckles_82

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »
Do we need to ask permission for creations from Union Cove to use in our stories?

Also, do we need to ask permission if we use a sim's child/grandchild? Eg: A sim of my creation marries one of the sims in Union Cove, say, Supersim Star, and they have a baby, would I need to ask permission to use that child in a story?

anything