Author Topic: Sims 3 - Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide  (Read 860454 times)

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
Re: Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 01:30:09 AM »
We get promotions here??  Are there pay raises involved?  :o

Oh wait...a 10% increase on nothing is still nothing, isn't it?  Oh well.

Ranks... like Role Playing Games... at level 5 you unlock "Charming Introduction" at level 10 you unlock "Sleep in Specimen Closet" at level 15 you unlock "Don't Break a Sweat"

;D

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 01:50:00 AM »
Hi jeamariesx3, it was very good of you to start this thread. As soembody else has pointed out, you can also just go here: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files  and download the framework.zip, then move that .zip file to your The Sims 3 folder and extract it there.

I only mention this because the resource.cfg document in that framework.zip is the most recent, and includes framework for the Overrides folder. This is important as some mods require correct use of the overrides folder to function properly. Using the resource.cfg you've linked, people will have to edit the file themselves which can be confusing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 02:04:45 AM »
Like I said, I used mods over a year ago, then stopped using them for a bit after I reached Hero Status and we weren't allowed to discuss mods. I never heard of creating an overrides folder.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:38 AM »
Like I said, I used mods over a year ago, then stopped using them for a bit after I reached Hero Status and we weren't allowed to discuss mods. I never heard of creating an overrides folder.

I hope you don't think I am criticizing you, it is not my intention . The resource.cfg at ModTheSims is simply more robust. The overrides folder has a higher priority, and in some cases mods will need to be placed there so that they are loaded with the proper priority. This applies, for example, when someone is using Awesomemod but also wants to use Nraas PortraitPanel. In that case, Nraas PortraitPanel should be placed in the Overrides folder. Using the overrides folder is not necessary for everyone and is somewhat "advanced" (but not really, it's very simple to use!). Nevertheless, having the resource.cfg properly set up so that it recognizes the overrides folder anyhow is good. If someone comes across a mod which requires the use of the Overrides folder they may be very confused and frustrated if they can't properly edit or set up their resource.cfg.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
No! Not at all. I couldn't find the MTS version of it. This is when I started back up modding after realizing, Challenges here at the time were way out of the question, due to my own PC issues. I couldn't remember where the resource file was and I ended up at this one.  :)

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
No! Not at all. I couldn't find the MTS version of it. This is when I started back up modding after realizing, Challenges here at the time were way out of the question, due to my own PC issues. I couldn't remember where the resource file was and I ended up at this one.  :)

OK, I'm glad you didn't think I was being  critical. :) Oh, also, Mac users can use Keka to open file archives. It's free and supports the major file archive formats (.zip, .7z and .rar).

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
You can if you want, however it is unnecessary.  The EA Patch system does not care whether you have mods installed or not.

Most people suggest removing your mods beforehand because if you forget to remove them, and try to play the updated game, it will go bonkers.

Personally, I leave my mods installed, and then update them with new copies after I have patched.

But frankly if you remove them before patching, or leave them in and replace them after patching, is mostly a personal preference.

:)

Learned that the hard wqy. I unconsciously (bad habit) ticked the download for the patch before removong my mods. My sims could NEVER leave their vacation in China. I tried numerous times and they dropped the issue to did something else. Live and learn. So, NOW, I vow never to download before a mod patch is in place ; and before removing my oldpatches.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
I just installed the Mods folder! (Excuse the excitement, it's my first time doing this).

A couple of things:  I did have to download 7-zip to my computer.

Also, I used the modthesims link up above. It suggested placing the framework.zip folder in The Sims 3 file, but when I did that and extracted the files, they stayed in the folder. I moved it to my desktop, then moved the mods folder in, which contained the overrides folder, the packages folder, and the resource folder. Anyway -- on to Master Controller.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 01:40:59 AM »
You can download Winrar and use it indefinitely without actually paying for it.  After a while it gives you a pop-up saying that you need to buy it, you click the "X" in the corner of the pop-up and continue as usual.

Of course, I'm not at all suggesting that you shouldn't pay for it.  No, not at all.  I would never suggest such a thing...    :-X

But you don't have to.  I'm just not suggesting that.  Nope, you didn't hear that from me.  In fact, ignore the above sentence completely.  :P
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I have to say I'm so happy this topic has been brought to this site. I've been looking at mods for months and I was positive it was was going to be a big deal to install them. They installed so easily I'm amazed. I was playing around with new things most of the day yesterday. I downloaded Master Controller and a couple of the career mods. It's so much fun to have real, new interactions in the game! I'm a happy camper.  ;D

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »
You can download Winrar and use it indefinitely without actually paying for it.  After a while it gives you a pop-up saying that you need to buy it, you click the "X" in the corner of the pop-up and continue as usual.

If you right click on the file you want to extract and select extract here you don't even get a pop up message.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »
I just added WinRar. Do'h! I should've linked it in the first place, as I use it to extract my mod folders. I just realized I pulled a Homer Simpson when typing these instructions.  ::)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Learned that the hard wqy. I unconsciously (bad habit) ticked the download for the patch before removong my mods. My sims could NEVER leave their vacation in China. I tried numerous times and they dropped the issue to did something else. Live and learn. So, NOW, I vow never to download before a mod patch is in place ; and before removing my oldpatches.

This is actually more likely an issue caused by the patch itself, and is probably not related to your mods at all.  Issues like this occur somewhat often, and we've seen this exact thing with the latest patch:  you're unable to complete an adventure that was started before the patch, but adventures you start afterwards appear to work properly.  People who don't actually use mods have this problem, too, so the issue cannot possibly be related.

Your best protection against this is to back up your saves regularly and keep multiple saves of the same game at different sim times.  You especially want to back up your game saves before you install a patch.  I forgot to do this with the last one and it rendered one of my saves completely useless.  :(
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline bobbittx

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
The contents of the resource.cfg file are:

Code: [Select]
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

The way I understand this (someone else may correct me) is that the Priority number gives you a lot of flexibility when trying out mods.

Overrides with a priority of 1000 will take precedence over the game cache (objects already installed through the launcher). Meaning if you've created or downloaded a special version of an object, as long as it is in the Overrides folder the base game/store object should always be overridden. 

The Packages folder has the same priority as the DCCache (downloaded store items, exchange items, mods that come in the Sims3pack format). This is the folder I usually have several sub-folders in. I've named one "NRaas" so that I can keep Twallan's mods contained in a single folder to compare dates with his recent updates wiki page. I have others for CAP, slider, and other types of mods that rarely need to wait for game updates and can be used on any patch level. I have two others "Scripts" and "Objects" that do depend on game updates to remain functional. If a new game patch hits, I'll temporarily remove the Nraas, Scripts, and Objects folders and start a new save game if I get an itch to see the new features.

All new mods I download or create/modify are initially placed in Test. My own rule is that they stay there for at least 2-3 weeks before I move them over to the Packages folder. A busted mod might not necessarily surface as an immediate issue, in fact sometimes its hard to tell they are impacting your game at all.

I don't use the Probation folder much, usually only when I have downloaded several mods at once and then notice lag or unusual behavior. I use it as a secondary test/staging folder to try and see which one(s) are at fault or if I suspect there maybe a conflict that the Dashboard tool doesn't see.

In general, mod use is really going to boil down to trial and error to determine what works for each individual. It is real easy to get frustrated and angry, especially for people that are into 3+ generations save. I used to treat all the verbiage for "make sure to backup and save your files" as people being overly precautionary. But now I have a copy of my game folder for every month in the past 5 months.  - Overkill and borderline OCD: yes. Smashing my face into the keyboard because I messed up my game: not as much. ;)

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
Will mods slow down my computer?

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

anything