Author Topic: Showtime - First Impressions  (Read 58654 times)

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
Re: Showtime - First Impressions
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »
I'm kind of on the fence about Showtime so far.  I played for a couple of hours and had fun but also some frustration.  Perhaps that will change when I get used to the new features.

I love the houses in Starlight Shores - they are beautifully done (even the starters) - but I wish there were a few more in the mid-price range that were unoccupied.  Otherwise I found the town pretty unimpressive.  It felt emptier and smaller than other towns and there is no room to add community lots from other EPs.  I'll play it while I'm experimenting with this EP, but don't see myself choosing it for any kind of long term game.  There are other EA towns, as well as UC, that I much prefer.

I love the ability to 'chat' with friends who are online.  It was really fun to interact with some of you last evening as we were playing and I look forward to seeing more of our forum members in game.  I didn't find the social feature at all intrusive, and it was especially helpful when I had some questions about how to do something and could get immediate feedback from my friends.

I'm interested to experiment with Simport, but it seems to be somewhat inconsistent what with crashes and such.  There are also limitations to it that weren't clearly spelled out ahead of time.  For example, you can't send your performer to another town until they are level 2 - not really a big deal since it is pretty easy to achieve.  When I finally got my performer at the right level to travel I learned that I had to have at least 2 sims in the household in order to send one on tour.  It would have been helpful to know that ahead of time, but live and learn.

While I certainly don't regret getting Showtime, so far for me at least it isn't really living up to all the hype.

bshag

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:46 PM »
I found the bull was hilarious, sorry for so many pics.  I do have a few of the town I will put in another post.

I know you told me how funny the pics were, now I see...hilarious!  Thanks for posting honey! ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
I made the man at Gamestop laugh...first, I wasn't going to buy ST at all due to the social stuff which I didn't want.  Then I changed my mind because of all the neat stuff it comes with and the patch gave us most of the social stuff anyway. ::)  Then I was only going to get it this week, only after I read about any possible bugs...I wound up at Gamestop at 11 AM the day of release. :P  At least I can hold my head up that I wasn't there at 10 AM. 8)

I really like it...the animations are fantastic and really funny.  I have a singer and the singing telegrams are adorable.  I can't wait to see what the other careers do. ;D

There's just so much in the ep, it's going to take time to explore but from the first day, I don't regret buying it. :)

Offline Trentorio

• Townie
  • "Shamo!"
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
I played last night and so far so good. I haven't used Simport yet, but hopefully tonight after I put another Sim in my Singer's household I can send Billie DuRone on tour. I am hoping to host someone soon. I felt a little uncomfortable sending out requests, but that's my own issue not a game issue. I didn't want anyone to feel obligated or spammed.

The two highlights for me were

- Performing for tips. Wow! I was surprised and very pleased when my sim whipped out her guitar and started singing for a whole group of people...it was even more fun when she performed on stage in the park and the audience threw things at her; good things: A teddy bear and A Ducksworth Bathington.

-Secondly, going to see an acrobat perform. I saw in the paper there was a show that night at 7:30 in the big venue that doubles as the theatre. I got there in plenty of time but didn't know what to do, couldn't enter or make a selection to watch the show. The show was supposed to start at 7:30 but at 7:45 my sim and every other sim in the area walked to the door on the side of the building on their own and went inside where the sim was performing.  I was -very- surprised at the quality of the show, the way the sims looked and every little thing about the show. It was like they looked better? A higher quality graphic than I was expecting.

What I don't particularly like and I don't exactly dislike it, either is when performing sing-o-grams and how many pop ups for work appear later in the career. Your sims are running from job to job for a quick little song. Edit: This is in line with what a singing telegram person actually does do but they seem to roll in right after another with no real set hours save you don't seem to get any at night. Which also makes sense.

I also learned not to take all the new traits at once. I got way too many social butterfly wish rolls (which makes sense, you are a social butterfly) and the It's Like I'm Invisible negative moodlet popped up at 8:01 am Sunday, Day 1 Week 1. Managing my Social motive was a little interesting. It drops real quick if you have this trait.  I noticed the social bar continued to lower while on the phone with the occasional big boost during the conversation, but not a continuous green arrow boost. It still wasn't completely full when the call ended, a sim hour or more later.

I am curious to any benefit Diva has besides the social options and doing everything with Flair kind of like Evil and Daredevil Sims.

My singer got heckled on her way to the bookstore without ever having performed anything at all yet. It was kind of funny but gave me a brief Unlucky Feeling negative moodlet.

I give my overall experience 8 out of 10.

I razed the equestrian center and reoriented the salon, consignment and fire station. I added my favorite club from Late Night.  I think the clubs can be easily adapted for Late Night (if that's your thing) with dropping a proper bar in place of the default ones inside.

I thought I would be able to go into the coffee shop, but it doubles as the Diner rabbithole with a stage outside. A little disappointing.

Finally, I couldn't find my Katy Perry fruit dress in CAS.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 03:10:23 PM »
When I finally got my performer at the right level to travel I learned that I had to have at least 2 sims in the household in order to send one on tour.  It would have been helpful to know that ahead of time, but live and learn.

Actually, they were quite clear about that from the start.  They weren't as clear on the career level, but if you think about it, this stands to reason.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
I've met with some frustration with this one, but it's pretty good. I've had an issue repeatedly where I cannot click my Sim to issue commands. Given that's how you perform for tips and use tricks as a magician, that's no good. Resetsim will not work. I've done a few things and don't know if they coincidentally fixed it. The last one to work instantly was cheating and choosing edit Sim in CAS. I haven't played in a while so this could be unrelated to Showtime, but seems to happen just after I pause.

Playing the Magician is interesting, although I had hoped for more tricks. Stage design and the ability to control what they do in the performance should give a good bit of variety for people who take the time to be creative. I find it funny that about three times a little girl has set up a bake sale right in front of the stage. Even during a Simfest! She's quite the little entrepreneur :D

I'm trying to make my magician marry the beautiful genie he just got out of the bottle. For my first wish, I took happiness and got a +25 moodlet with no timer :O I figure buddy up to her then use the third wish to free her. Guess I'll try to make a genie baby soon :)

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
I haven't gotten too deep into the gameplay due to the fact that my game froze up in the new world.
I do love all the new decor and items though! They really did do a great job on those.
Another one of my favorites is the new sim animations.
I gave my sim Marissa the "Diva" and the "Natural Born Star" traits and then had her do a little mini show in her living room.

This is her telling everyone that she is the best. The animation includes her bobbing her head back and forth shaking her figure, it's rather amusing. (Diva trait)

Here's one of her showing off her singing "talents". Reminds me of Christina Aguilera whenever she sings. (Diva Trait)

Lastly, here's one of her "Ta-Da ing" to herself. (Natural Born Star)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Whoa.

In my house of performers (one each of magician, singer, acrobat, and music career), I glanced at the musician's performance ratings.  Guitar skill has FINALLY been replaced with Musical Skill: The highest aptitude of all your musical skills is used in this metric.

Or was this replaced a while ago?

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Whoa.

In my house of performers (one each of magician, singer, acrobat, and music career), I glanced at the musician's performance ratings.  Guitar skill has FINALLY been replaced with Musical Skill: The highest aptitude of all your musical skills is used in this metric.

Seriously? So I can have my musician play Piano instead of Guitar when she's in the Orchestra part of the career? Yes!
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • I'm doing an internet! Woooahhh!
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
Whoa.

Ooh! OOH! Finally, Piano can be played in Orchestra! Yay! (Although DeNile already said so :P)
Find my builds here. | Last Created; Cubeached
Also, feel free to request a home by PMing me! Always happy to help.

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
Learning and loving!
Still learning things as I go. Love the in-game chat ability, it helps to get answers straight away, although I probably shouldn't be a pest and ask but rather just work it out lol
I had a quick look in build mode and can't say I'm impressed - a few new doors and windows and seriously, only six new wall coverings and then there are really only 2 different ones with a couple of variations of each!
I'm not a huge one for clothing, but there are a few nice outfits - the bunny suit is cute.
I thought Starlight Shores would be bigger, not complaining, but just thought it would be busier.
Having fun with a new couple, he's a magician and she is an acrobat, though it probably would have been easier to just concentrate on one new profession at first. I just had her play with fire batons in the park..mm maybe until she knows what she is doing, that is probably something to do where there is a shower close by. She didn't set herself on fire, but I can see the potential lol
Oh well back to it to see what else I can find.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
Love the in-game chat ability, it helps to get answers straight away, although I probably shouldn't be a pest and ask but rather just work it out lol

I can't find any in-game chat ability.  Are you talking about posting messages on your wall for communication?

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
Yes, I meant the posting to your wall. Replies come up in the game in that panel, so it's very much like a chat feature.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 11:54:42 PM »
Okay, I was just making sure I wasn't missing something.  ;)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:50 AM »
There is a chatty button though, but it is still greyed out, so not sure what that is about as of yet.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?