Author Topic: Showtime - First Impressions  (Read 58635 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Showtime - First Impressions
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2012, 03:13:41 AM »
I've had a few crashes but it has actually gone up and beaten my expectations. Which were low anyway, I was expecting this to not be good but I am enjoying it still and can't wait for my next singer! I'm addicted to the songs!
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
  • Sims3 - because being omnipotent is fun!
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
I'm absolutely loving Showtime. It probably helps that I have not *yet* been hit by any major bugs. I adore Starlight Shores as a town, it's my favourite since Sunset valley. I really like the landscaping and layout, the locals seem to be full of great gossip, the new professions are full of cute animations, and the clothes are *lovely*. The things that annoy me about it so far are actually the things that were added in patch 1.31 - constant queries about sharing memories etc. One of the nicest things about Sims 3 (for me) is the immersive nature of it - constant pop-ups and reminders to log in are more of a distraction and annoyance than anything. But I like the scrapbooks, and I quite fancy getting a couple of badges, so I might grind it for a while anyway (I've got no friends on Sims 3 official page, so I'm not annoying anyone with updates except for myself).

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cas

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »
I'm addicted to the songs!
The songs are good, especially a couple of the early ones.  I like how you can manipulate the chorus and verses during a performance too.  I find all that very well done.

Leto85

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
I've had a few crashes but it has actually gone up and beaten my expectations. Which were low anyway, I was expecting this to not be good but I am enjoying it still and can't wait for my next singer! I'm addicted to the songs!

Ever played The Sims 1? Most songs from the second expansion; Livin" Large are used as sons sims can sing in Showtime.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
So far my favorite song is 'Hurts Both Ways' - kind of countryish ballad, although all the songs I've heard are catchy.  Even before Showtime I liked the different music in the game, though.  I sing Ping and His Checkers when I'm in the shower.   ;D

I'm still kind of lukewarm about Showtime overall - I'm drawn in by the novelty of the careers and Simport, but I think those things will get old pretty quickly.  The part I've enjoyed the most is the social content - it is great to chat with friends while playing.  As a long time World of Warcraft fan that was the hardest thing for me to get used to with TS3 - being isolated in game.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
Huh: Ghosts cannot perform Sing-a-grams.

Tony

« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
The singing career is interesting but it's also really lame - after a certain point, the steady gigs, it no longer allows the sim to perform at the time it was supposed to (no way to get into the big venues without allow for you to enter the rabbit hole).  Sucks.

I have the steam version.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
Throughout all the EPs I've always had a smooth running game that's relatively glitch free and this time around I've got a laggy, randomly freezing game with glitches (some started with the first patch).

Lol.  You're the first person in the history of the franchise to call The Sims "relatively glitch free."  There have been loads of glitches since the base game of Sims 1.  Boy, oh boy, I could tell you some serious stories...

Of course, back then Maxis owned it and they were quick to patch...but that didn't mean that it would get rid of the bugs lol.  The Sims, by it's very nature, has always been a complex game and that makes it somewhat unstable.  I doubt the Sims 4 will be any different, either.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
I'm surprised that there aren't more glitches with Showtime given the addition of social features and SimPort, those can't have been easy to build into the EP.  Maybe I just have modest expectations or perhaps Twallan's mods are doing a great job of handling the majority of issues.

Offline Trentorio

• Townie
  • "Shamo!"
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
I was fine for the first few days of Showtime but beginning Saturday things went majorly downhill for me. I have fixed a lot of it, but I think I will have to end up starting over with my singer and her family. Neither performer can perform for tips and a plethora of other issues that I have found other people have as well.

This is the most trouble I have had with an expansion, but I still love it.

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
  • Sims3 - because being omnipotent is fun!
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »
Oh oh oh, and I just noticed - the grocery store sells bananas! And you can thrown marshmallows at performers, which I assume are good for growing, because they come in different qualities (putrid-perfect, in other words).

Has anyone grown any marshmallows yet?

Interesting fact - marshmallow is in fact a plant, as well as a gooey sugary delicious fire-toy.

Also - I got a gnome last night. He is adorable. He has a cane and a hat and a suit, and reminds me a little of Charlie Chaplin. I'll try and get a pic later this evening...

Offline FireRaye93

• Townie
  • I am burdened with glorious plumbobs.
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
This is a bit overdue, but I wanted to fully explore this expansion before I posted my opinion.

I really like what this expansion has brought to the game. Singing Sims are something I have wanted since the base game and they are finally here! I love the acrobat and magician careers as well.

I haven't experienced too many problems with my game besides a single crash (it hasn't happened since so it looks like an isolated incident) and Sims singing but no sound playing. The game is also a little laggy every now and then, which is annoying but not a deal breaker.

The new clothing and hair options are nice and I love all the buy/build mode objects.

I haven't had much experience with simport because I've only been playing with single Sims uptill now, but it seems pretty cool and I've hosted a few Sims.

Overall, really nice expansion pack.
Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
Lol.  You're the first person in the history of the franchise to call The Sims "relatively glitch free."  There have been loads of glitches since the base game of Sims 1.  Boy, oh boy, I could tell you some serious stories...

Of course, back then Maxis owned it and they were quick to patch...but that didn't mean that it would get rid of the bugs lol.  The Sims, by it's very nature, has always been a complex game and that makes it somewhat unstable.  I doubt the Sims 4 will be any different, either.

Seriously, I've had very few problems with my game. *knocks on wood* The most serious problems I ever had were things that were caused, back when I used it,  by bad CC. Once I had downloaded a Sim from the exchange and every time I would load her in CAS my game would crash, I had the girl doll and she caused all sorts of havoc.  Other than that I've had a few small glitches like not being able to shop at the grocery store because I had a certain seed in my inventory or my Sim couldn't read the newspaper. I do little things like delete my cache files every day that I play and do routine maintenance on my computer and ....who knows? Maybe I'm just lucky. I don't have a super gaming computer either, just a mid range Toshiba laptop.  So? Who knows?

Leto85

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »

Seriously, I've had very few problems with my game. *knocks on wood* The most serious problems I ever had were things that were caused, back when I used it,  by bad CC. Once I had downloaded a Sim from the exchange and every time I would load her in CAS my game would crash, I had the girl doll and she caused all sorts of havoc.  Other than that I've had a few small glitches like not being able to shop at the grocery store because I had a certain seed in my inventory or my Sim couldn't read the newspaper. I do little things like delete my cache files every day that I play and do routine maintenance on my computer and ....who knows? Maybe I'm just lucky. I don't have a super gaming computer either, just a mid range Toshiba laptop.  So? Who knows?

Good maintenance can make a huge difference. So you did the right thing.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Oh oh oh, and I just noticed - the grocery store sells bananas! And you can thrown marshmallows at performers, which I assume are good for growing, because they come in different qualities (putrid-perfect, in other words).

Unfortunately none of the fruit and veg I've tested by throwing at visiting Sims has transferred with them, so there goes the idea of being able to throw each other perfect starter plants for our gardens! They don't even seem to be reported. Miscellaneous items and flowers can be picked up by the performing visitor though, so it may be just another glitch.

Cal
[they/them pronouns please]

anything