Author Topic: Opting out of Expansion packs  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Justwright

• Townie
Opting out of Expansion packs
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
Now that EA has given us the ability to Opt out of expansion and stuff packs, I was thinking about doing this.  I own all of the expansion and stuff packs but I play realistic, rotational families so I dislike parts of the Supernatural and Pets Pack.  I have the Into the Future pack but have never played with any features from that.  I know I would be losing some hair, clothes, a few traits and LTWs.  Has anyone tried opting out with a saved game?  Are there some issues I'm not considering?  Just wondering what other people experience with this has been.  Thanks for any info.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
Re: Opting out of Expansion packs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »
I've also been nervous about opting out mid-game. I think clothes and hair would just be replaced by stuff from other EPs and Sps, but I've not been brave enough to try. I'm planning on waiting until I've completed my current town jump.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
I'm also wondering about features that may or may not be lost.  For example, World Adventures introduced the Buydebug cheat.  So, if I remove that expansion from my game, do I also lose that ability or was that added with a patch to the whole game?  So many questions.  I think I'll start a test game with all packs, then try removing some.  I'll let you know the outcomes.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:47:42 PM »
I'm also wondering about features that may or may not be lost.  For example, World Adventures introduced the Buydebug cheat.  So, if I remove that expansion from my game, do I also lose that ability or was that added with a patch to the whole game?  So many questions.  I think I'll start a test game with all packs, then try removing some.  I'll let you know the outcomes.

Buydebug was patched in, and not JUST an EP feature. So you're safe there, but good luck with the rest! :)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:30:17 AM »
Update - I created a new game in a downloaded town with all the expansions listed as needed.  I created a guy + dog family.  Then I opted out of Pets, Into the Future, Supernatural, Showtime, Late Night, and Island Paradise.  When I tried to reload that game, it crashed.

I then created a family without pets in Hidden Springs.  After opting out of the above 6 expansions, I reloaded save and it played fine.  It even saved my settings.  One hair changed, the refrigerator and stove changed, and probably some other minor things I didn't notice but overall I'm very pleased.

I then loaded my current game and it too played fine.  A minor change here and there (furniture, clothes) and I noticed the showtime venues had been changed to empty community lots.

I realize I lose some towns and objects doing this but I have tons of CC and downloaded towns, both Store Content and 3rd party.   I think the trade off of losing a few items vs dealing with paparazzi, vampires, pets, etc is well worth it for me.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »
With opting out of whatever expansion/stuff pack you will loose all content from that ep/sp. Content may or may not be replaced. Somethings cannot be replaced.

It's just like if you were to uninstall an ep/sp and try to play a saved game that had that specific ep/sp content installed. It wouldn't work. It would either not load or it would crash.

In the link below it will give information about the new manager.  Scroll down to see How will this affect my played save games ?
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2015/11/expansion-and-stuff-pack-manager.html

Best advice is: If you want to continue playing a saved game you may want to leave which ever eps/sps installed until you are done playing with that saved game. This way your game will be okay and there won't be missing content.

You can turn celebrity, pets and supernatural stuff off in the in-game options. So you can continue to play with the clothes, hairs and buy/build mode stuff that the expansions offer.

1. Go to the Options menu (Lower left hand corner of the screen) at the Main Menu.

2. Select Options and go to the last tab (Advanced Demographics Options) and clear or uncheck what options you don't want.

* To clear these options, you will need to have Story Progression checked. If you play with it off. After you're done clearing the options. Then uncheck Story Progression.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything