Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 327194 times)

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Time to Wake Up, Alec
« Reply #1035 on: August 16, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »
The world has been turning without Alex! After Sheo's story, I've liked Mania more and more--I'm impressed that she's helping Alex out, but why?
Because he's the son of her master? Because he's her ex-brother-in-law?
Does she regret breaking up with Sheogorath? I regret their break-up...

Alex, get your act together!

Finally, how wonderful for Majnun that the grandsons will have Anne's eyes.  Awwwww.
The world has been, and he's been wallowing in self-pity. I love Mania, she's truly an awesome character. Her reasons for helping Alec stem from two places - one is that she does it as a favor to her Master.
The second is because, after going through a divorce herself, she's watching Alec make the same mistakes Sheogorath did in their marriage and she's fed up with it.
Does she regret her divorce? Yes and no. She does in the sense that she loved(loves?) Sheogorath very much and she hated that it had to turn out that way, but she doesn't because she knows that nothing was going to change, and now it has. She has her daughter and she's finally getting her life together too.
I regret that their relationship turned as sour as it did. I think Sheogorath does too. Yet, I still think there's hope for them.
As always, I love hearing what you have to say about my characters. You've always got my brain turning and I love it.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #1036 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
I think sarcastic Mania and over-protective Manjun were just glorious!!  Another lovely update.  Not gonna lie, I sometimes struggle to keep all your characters straight in my head, so I can only imagine how tough the story world must be for you to manage!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #1037 on: August 16, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »
I think sarcastic Mania and over-protective Manjun were just glorious!!  Another lovely update.  Not gonna lie, I sometimes struggle to keep all your characters straight in my head, so I can only imagine how tough the story world must be for you to manage!
Sarcastic Mania and over-protective Majnun are amazing. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you reading and commenting, even though I know there's a lot of characters. :D I write with these characters 24/7, so it's less about remembering them for me than remembering if I've mentioned something before or not that's tricky. I write a lot of my chapters before hand and sometimes I'll scrap whole chapters during the writing process. This leads to me wondering if I've talked about some things before or often repeating myself. ::)
Ah well. Good news for everyone is soon we'll be losing a fair amount of characters as Majnun and Anne's generation wraps up here.
As is the life of legacies. Thank you for sticking with me on this one though. =D I'll get better at keeping characters sorted. It would've been better if I was writing this from the beginning - ah well, I'm learning! ;D

Offline Nienor

• Still working on the history chapter...
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #1038 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Amazing update as always @LivvieLove! (I admit to being a silent reader for many months.)
It was interesting to see the new Mania, although people have already commented on that, so I'll leave it there.
Majnun was ... Majnun.
(I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I looked up his name and found the story of Layla and Majnun, the man who cannot marry his lover because he loves her so much he seems mad, then they both eventually die of heartbreak. This got me really worried, because I'm really hoping for a 'happy ending' for Majnun, as he's such an amazing character. Perhaps he'll fail to bring Anne back to life and die? Or am I really overthinking this, and did you just happen to know the Arabic word for madman?)
Anyway, I spotted the Quinn/Esmerelda reference - is that a hint that Song of the Nightingale will come out soon? Or is that just my hopeful mind talking?
If you're bored, try my Perfect Genetics Legacy thingy.
Deidre McMillan's (DV Maid) Perfect Genetics Dynasty
If you're not, go and read the Silmarillion, until you are bored, then read my story.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #1039 on: August 17, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
Amazing update as always @LivvieLove! (I admit to being a silent reader for many months.)
It was interesting to see the new Mania, although people have already commented on that, so I'll leave it there.
Majnun was ... Majnun.
(I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I looked up his name and found the story of Layla and Majnun, the man who cannot marry his lover because he loves her so much he seems mad, then they both eventually die of heartbreak. This got me really worried, because I'm really hoping for a 'happy ending' for Majnun, as he's such an amazing character. Perhaps he'll fail to bring Anne back to life and die? Or am I really overthinking this, and did you just happen to know the Arabic word for madman?)
Anyway, I spotted the Quinn/Esmerelda reference - is that a hint that Song of the Nightingale will come out soon? Or is that just my hopeful mind talking?
Oh my! Hello there @Nienor! A new face! I love spotting new faces! ;D I love all my readers, be they silent or actively commenting, though I always love feedback and seeing what others have to say - especially in cases like this! You found me out!
First of all, thank you for the lovely compliment, and second of all - buckle up because you've unleashed the chatty portion of myself!

New Mania's personality is the same as old Mania, she's just in a new body - a very gorgeous, adorable new body. ::)
Majnun! Oh Majnun, Majnun, Majnun. You've been discovered! It's a long story on my decision for his name, and I could probably spare you the details, but I wouldn't be me if I did. ::)
You'd be surprised how few names there are that mean Insanity, Madness, or Crazy (strange how that works, you'd think those would be popular names for babies ::) ). Selecting the name for Aleccas's brothers were all fairly easy (Kefka from Final Fantasy, Sheogorath from Skyrim, Mania as a form of Manic, Deliro as a form of Delirious), but I needed Majnun's name to be special.
Initially, I knew nothing about Majnun. I like to describe my characters as little people who live in my head (yes, I've spoken to a psychologist, I'm fine XD) with their own stories they have to tell and their own personalities. I'm just a tool to write down their crazy antics and to test them in scenarios to see how they'll react. It's great fun for me and a good creative exercise... but basically I had no idea what kind of character Majnun was.
I originally intended him to be a Chaotic Evil character, but clearly that didn't work out. I found Majnun and Layla a long, long time ago and was fascinated by it. Mostly I just liked the name and knew it fit my Majnun. When I dug into his past, I slowly figured out his wives and the story didn't even come to mind until after I had already formed Majnun and Anne's romance.
So, in short, no he wasn't meant to be based off that story, but I did draw loose inspiration from it.
As far as what happens to Anne and Majnun... I'm not going to spoil anything, but now that I've posted that last chapter I can officially say with no spoilers that Anne is dead/going to die and that she's not coming back.
Now, whether or not Majnun dies of heartbreak later down the line when his time comes towards the end of my story when the next God of Madness and Magic rises... I'll leave that up to reader interpretation. ;D

Phew! Ok, Majnun talk over. Sorry, I could really go on for days about his character.
Now, you've inquired about "Song of the Nightingale!" Squee! I'm so excited for that story. Unfortunately, due to circumstances and time and a coming storyline, I'm moving at a bit of a crawl when it comes to writing the story. "Song of the Nightingale" and The Reapers are about to come to a cross-over point here where the stories will intersect briefly before going on their way. I've been name-dropping them more and building up their characters (well, Quinn's character, Ezzie will get some love here soon when there's less people to juggle and less names for everyone to remember ::) ) so that this intersection can happen. Once this intersection is over with it'll be a lot easier for me to write "Song of the Nightingale" because where things stand right now I've changed several crucial details so that things line up for the Reapers and I don't want to overwrite myself.
Now, "Song of the Nightingale" is going to be a very long story, and I've got several chapters written here and there as I go along. They've been 'together' for roughly 150 years by the time Agnes and the Reapers come into play and the story is going to cover all of it and then some.
Finally, and the most unfortunate bit, I will not be posting "Song of the Nightingale" on Carls. Quinn is too much of a potty mouth for me to do his character justice, and there are some... we'll call it "line walking" I would be doing with certain aspects of Esmerelda's past and personality that I just couldn't do justice if I had to omit or be vague about. So, as for that story, I will put up an announcement when the blog goes live and I will do what I'm doing with the Reapers 2.0 (my rewrite of this story) and have a list of those who wish to receive notice of updates via PM on this forum.

(Long winded breath)! Sorry for chatting your ear off, and thank you for your wonderful comment! =D

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Long Live the Queen
« Reply #1040 on: August 18, 2016, 03:22:13 AM »
I have four chapters ready for you. I don't even know what to say about them, save for that I hope I did them justice in the end. I'll post two tonight and two tomorrow, because I feel like the last two deserve their own time.

Long Live the Queen
Four Years Later
Anne hummed quietly as she washed dishes in the kitchen sink. She smiled to herself when she felt a tugging on her dress as her son looked up at her. “Mommy? What are you doing?”

Anne smiled and wiped her hand on her dress before gently rubbing his hair. He swatted at her hand and scowled. “Just washing dishes, my Aleccas. Would you like to help?”
Aleccas shook his head and frowned. “No.” He said firmly.
“No, thank you.” Anne corrected him.
“No, thank you.” He grumbled.
Anne looked down and gave Aleccas a warning stare. “I think someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, darling.”
Aleccas looked at the floor. “I just don’t want to do dishes.”
“I… I can do them.” Anne looked over and in the kitchen doorway stood Sheogorath. Sheogorath had been gone for long stretches of time as he studied under Quinn and Minha, Agonin’s High Priestess.
She smiled brightly at him. “My Sheo, how’s your studies sweetie?”

Sheogorath smiled and shrugged. “I-I’m…”
“I’m going to go outside.” Aleccas announced before vanishing from the room quickly.
Anne’s eyes went wide as she watched him go before she sighed and leaned back against the counters. “I’m sorry, my Sheo.” She shook her head, she knew Aleccas wasn’t taking Majnun being gone well, but it was starting to get to be too much. Sheogorath had never behaved that way. “What have you been working on?”
Sheogorath stepped over to help her work on the dishes when she stopped him.
“Don’t worry about it, sweetie. I’ll finish it up.” She breathed before returning to smiling at him. “Tell me about what you’ve been learning with Quinn!”
“I… I’m not very good.” He said quietly as he looked down at the counter.
Anne frowned. “Sweetheart! Don’t say that! You’re very good with magic!”
Sheogorath frowned in return and he shook his head. “I-I can’t… I can’t even do… do basic disguise spells.”
Anne looked at him sweetly. “Oh, my Sheo. That magic is very tricky. It took Quinn a very long time to master it.”
“I c-can’t even… even make myself completely invisible.” Sheogorath scowled at the counter.
Anne laughed before putting her arm around his shoulders and pulling him against her to kiss the side of his head. “My Sheo, let me tell you, I can’t even make myself partially invisible! You’re doing so, so well! Don’t you ever forget that.”
Sheogorath opened his mouth when the sound of the front door flying open and Aleccas screaming for Anne caused them both to go running towards the foyer.

Aleccas ran directly into Anne’s skirt before he clutched her tightly. “MOMMY! THERE’S A VAMPIRE IN THE YARD! A VAMPIRE!”
Sheogorath stared at the open door with narrowed eyes and stepped into a defensive stance and Anne could feel the magic in the air shift as it seemed to get darker outside.
Footsteps could be heard running up the walkway and Anne tightened her grip on Aleccas. She reached over and put a hand on Sheogorath’s shoulder. As she opened her mouth to ask him to teleport them out, a voice shouted.
“ANNE!? SHEO?! ALECCAS?!”
Anne knew that voice. “QUINN?!” She took a step forward and Sheogorath held out his arm to stop her.

Quinn came bursting into the foyer and he looked at all of them and sighed. “Quickly! Get over here! We have to leave! Now!”
Anne looked around hesitantly, not wanting to leave her home but outside the window she could see several Vampires slowly climbing the fence to their house. She nodded before scurrying over to Quinn with one arm on Sheogorath and the other holding Aleccas to her.
Quinn looked at Sheogorath and nodded. “Help me.” His voice lacked all the usual goofy tones it usually held. She wanted to ask what was going on when the ground shifted underneath them and Anne nearly fell over.
She wasn’t prepared for the teleport and she felt slightly woozy when they arrived in a blindingly white room with a crazy amount of doors lining either side of it. Anne stumbled forward slightly while Quinn and Sheogorath helped steady her.

She felt a familiar tremble and pain start in her hand, causing her to wince. This couldn’t be happening now. She shoved the thought from her mind and ignored her hand as it began to move involuntarily and twitch with pain. She could feel the tremor moving up her arm rapidly when Sheogorath touched her shoulder. The pain and trembling came to an abrupt halt as she felt magic run down her arm. Anne looked at him while shaking her head. “Don’t worry about me, sweetheart. I’m ok.”
He didn’t believe her. “Mother…”
“This way.” Quinn’s voice was dark and he was already walking out through one of the archways.
“Where are we, Quinn?” This wasn’t the Madhouse, she knew that for sure.
“Time.” Sheogorath said quietly. They were in the realm of Time.

The three of them struggled to keep up with Quinn as he rounded a corner and headed down a long white corridor. Shouting could be heard up and down the hallway. Aleccas clutched to Anne tightly as he spotted someone standing at the end of the hallway. “Mommy…” He whispered. “That woman doesn’t have a face.”
Anne looked at him wide-eyed, hoping the woman standing guard outside of the room hadn’t heard the comment. “That’s not a polite thing to say, Aleccas.” She whispered to him quickly.
“But… she doesn’t have a face!” Aleccas said, louder this time.

The Time Keeper’s head turned in their direction and both of them stopped talking immediately as Quinn walked past the guard and threw open the doors behind her with a loud clang.
Anne could see inside then: Nyx sitting in a strange cage, wide-eyed. Malice glaring them down with his fists clenched at a table. Agonin looking annoyed as he sat at a formal looking desk at the back of the room. Finally, off in a corner, she could see the boots of her husband propped on the edge of a table.
“Quinn Flanagan, you better have a good reason for interrupting my courtroom.” Agonin’s voice boomed. Quinn didn’t respond and instead he disappeared around the corner towards her husband’s shoes.
Anne hesitantly and nervously stepped forward. She just wanted to see her husband. It had been so long and knowing he was right there around the corner made her ache to hear his voice again.
Hear it, she did. “What?!” The sound of something slamming and the room shook. Suddenly Malice flew back against the wall with a strange strangled noise. Majnun came into view then as he walked slowly across the room, throwing his arm to the side and watching Malice fly across the room with it. Aleccas jumped and hid behind Anne and Sheogorath watched with a slight smile and narrowed eyes.
Nyx scrambled to the edge of her cage closest to where Malice had been thrown and she glared at him before taking a deep breath.
Anne stared at her husband with longing, almost forgetting what he was even doing. It was like a feeling of relief was filling her now that she was near him. “My sweet?”

Majnun’s head snapped around and the pure rage on his face melted to the gentle face she always knew. He tossed his hand away from his gaze without looking and Malice slunk to the ground as he grasped his throat.
Suddenly Majnun was in front of her, his hands gently clutched her shoulders. “My heart…” He whispered. He carefully looked her over. “Are you hurt?” He looked down at his sons. “Are any of you hurt?”

Anne smiled at him sweetly. “We’re all fine, my sweet.” She whispered as she reached up and touched his face.
He pressed his forehead to hers and relief washed over his face. He closed his eyes tightly and kissed her forehead before ruffling Aleccas’s hair. The boy, of course, swatted at the hands touching him. He patted Sheogorath’s shoulder and they shared a look before Majnun’s face hardened with rage and he turned back into the room. “Quinn.” His voice was dark. “Take my wife and children to the Madhouse.”
Quinn nodded seriously and walked back towards Anne and the boys. He motioned for them to follow him as he walked down the hallways. “Don’t look back.” He mumbled to them as they began to walk.
Screams began to fill the room they just came from and the hallway.

Anne, Sheogorath, and Aleccas stayed in the Madhouse for a few months of time with Majnun. Majnun refused to return to court until Malice was addressed and made plans to start a war with him that he would never forget. Sheogorath studied under his father every chance he got - awed by the power and thought behind each action Majnun planned. Aleccas usually kept his distance from the intimidating man who walked the halls and grumbled under his breath. After a while the trial was called to a close with all charges against Nyx dropped and Majnun deemed their house safe to return to.
The first night they were there the boys were tucked into bed while Majnun sat and stewed in the living room. Anne poked her head around the corner and looked at him with concern. “My sweet, you should come to bed. You’ve been going over plans for war for months now.”

“It is not that which I am stewing about, my heart.” His voice was strained as he spoke. “You could have died when I was at that trial. You had no way to defend yourself.”
Anne looked at him sweetly. “Quinn was there, and Sheogorath was ready to teleport us all out if needed - plus I always keep that potion you gave me.”
“Where was that potion, Anne?” Majnun’s voice was quiet and low.
Anne pursed her lips as she tried to remember. “I believe I kept it upstairs by my easel… I can’t-”
“So it wasn’t with you.” He stared at the ground and let out a hard breath. “Anne, we need to talk about turning you into a Magical Source.”
She frowned and shook her head. “We’ve already talked about this Majnun…”

“We need to talk about it again. I won’t lose you, Anne.” He stood up and looked at her, pain etched into his eyes. “It’s not that bad, Anne. There’s nothing to be afraid of! I’ve never hurt you with my magic - it’s not a scary thing!”
Anne took a step back, shaking her head already. “No, Majnun, I don’t want to think about this-”
“When are you going to think about it, Anne? You could have died!” His voice broke. “Our sons... could have died!”
Anne cleared her throat and straightened herself. “This discussion is closed, Majn-”
“No! This discussion ISN’T closed!” Majnun raised his voice for the first time in desperation.
Anne looked at him, wide-eyed. “Majnun, please… I’m begging you. Let this go!” She took in a breath. “We talked about this earlier, don’t you remember?”

Majnun raked his fingers through his hair and growled. “You stubborn woman! I’m NOT letting this go! Not anymore!” He felt his barriers cracking inside his head and he clutched at his face tightly, willing his mind to hold out.
Anne looked at him with concern and her voice came out soft. “Please, my sweet, you need to calm down. You’ve not rested in so long…”
Majnun put his hands down and shook his head. “You will NOT change the subject.” He couldn’t afford to let this go. Twice now he could have lost her. Twice now he wouldn’t have had to worry if she had just taken his stupid magic. He slumped to the couch and breathed heavily, his voice dropping low to a whisper. “If you do not care to stay alive for me… won’t you at least try to stay alive for our sons?”
“Sheogorath is almost grown.” She said quietly as she took a step towards him. “And Aleccas will always be well taken care of, you know that, my sweet.” She moved and touched his hair gently. “I’m not dead yet.”
Yet. The word strangled him until his sanity came crashing down. “Summertime! Giffle! Crystallizing dewdrops! Hot-roasted!” It all came pouring out until he was just screaming. His Anne was going to die. She planned on it. His heart. His life. The thoughts alone were too much for him.

Her arms were around him and he rested his head against her, feeling drained and, for nearly the first time in his life, afraid of the future. She hushed him sweetly and her fingers ran through his hair. “Are you ok, my sweet? Here, let me help...”
“No! I’m fine.” He hissed before shaking his head and sighing. “I’m… fine.”
“Come, my sweet, let’s just go to bed.” She looked at him with pleading eyes. “Please, my sweet? Please?”
Majnun looked at her and his will faltered. He swallowed and nodded slowly. He walked over to her and placed his arms on her shoulders. “I’m sorry, Anne. I just want you to be around to see our family grow. I want you to be around for more than just our children.”
Anne looked him in the eyes and rested her head against him. “I’m sorry, my sweet. I don’t know what came over me.” She shook her head. “I trust you. I do… I’m just… I feel nervous, I guess. I know it doesn’t make any sense. I’m… I’m sorry.”
Majnun hugged her tightly to him and he smiled softly. “I’m not trying to rush you, my heart. My offer is there… I just ask that you consider it. Please?”
Anne nodded. “I can do that.”
“Thank you.” He whispered as he was finally able to relax.
“I love you, my sweet.” She whispered as she hugged him close to her.
“I love you too, my heart.” He bent down and carefully scooped her into his arms and she giggled lightly. “Let’s get some rest, ok?”
Majnun had always been a patient man, and he could wait as long as she needed. Anything so he could have her for an eternity or more.

“You’re sure it’ll send her to the Essence? She’s not going to go to the Land of the Dead like my mother?” Alessandra walked carefully in the unfamiliar territory.

“Oh, she’ll definitely dissolve into the Essence. Her body will turn to dust and Majnun will have nothing left of her.”
Alessandra looked at her skeptically. “How would you know? Only gods and goddesses dissolve into the Essence when they die-” Alessandra stopped her thought short and she stared at her unlikely ally. Everything clicked into place. “She is meant to replace you as the Goddess of Fate, isn’t she?”

Destiny Labelle’s hand slammed onto the table. “She is NOT going to replace me!”
Alessandra slumped. “It’s nearly impossible to kill a god or goddess as it is, Destiny, let alone the one married to Majnun!
Destiny sat back in her seat. “Yes, it is, but I have a little secret.”
Alessandra’s eyes narrowed. “Go on.”
“I’ve had my eyes on Ms. Anne for a very long time, now. The Book of Fate did everything it could to conceal her from me, but I found her… and I placed a sliver of my magic inside of her.”
“And… what do you intend to do with that sliver?” Alessandra asked carefully.

Destiny looked at her levelly. “Well, I’ve been having some fun with the Book recently, and since Majnun has been away on Trial with Nyx it’s made it very easy to manipulate the darling Anne’s feelings towards an irrational fear of magic.” She paused and drummed her fingers on the desk in front of her. “I won’t be able to keep that up much longer, now that Majnun is home - his magic interferes with it, but now I won’t need to. So long as she doesn’t become a Magical Source she cannot combat the sliver of magic I have inside of her.”
“A sliver will not kill her, Destiny, and killing her is what I aim to do.” Alessandra sighed. “She’s mortal, so any method should work just as easily.”

“Not so fast, dear.” Destiny looked at her with a knowing smile. “Do you know how tightly Majnun keeps his pretty wife locked down? Even with her fear of magic, Majnun has still managed to place a ward over her. She cannot die so long as that ward is active.”
“Cut to the chase, Destiny, because right now it doesn’t seem like we’re going anywhere.” Alessandra scowled.
“You’re right, Alessandra. My sliver of magic won’t kill her.” Destiny folded her hands in front of her. “But it will break down Majnun’s ward long enough so someone else might.” She reached into her desk drawer and pulled out a small vial of black liquid that she sat on the table in front of her. “I break the ward. You deliver the poison to the queen's tea. Both of us profit.” Destiny smiled darkly. “Are you in?” 

Alessandra’s eyes flickered with realization and a wide smile spread across her lips. She carefully reached over and grabbed the vial from Destiny’s desk. She wiggled the poison around her fingers and she laughed. “Long live the queen.”

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Second Chances
« Reply #1041 on: August 18, 2016, 03:39:20 AM »
Second chapter up for the night - this one will be straddling the word count, likely, so I'm going to go ahead and split it into two parts.

Second Chances: Part One
Midnight Hollow: Present Day

Mary ran into the new house and her eyes darted around the room, panic filling her. “Eveline is in trouble? Where is she? Where’s my daughter?!” She demanded as she stared at Mania and a beautiful woman with black, curly hair and bright blue eyes. “WHERE IS EVELINE?!”

The woman with black hair and piercing blue eyes looked solemnly into the room beside her and Mary felt her heart sink. She ran into the room without another word. “Eveline?! I-” She stopped suddenly.
The room was empty except for the one person she didn’t want to see. Alec.
Mary felt anger boiling in her and she clenched her fists. She had been tricked. “Where’s Eveline?”
Alec slowly shook his head and Mary closed her eyes tightly.

“Of course.” She swallowed and she glared at the floor. “Of-freaking-course.” She turned abruptly and walked back for the door that had been closed shut behind her. She turned the knob but it wouldn’t budge. She began to shake the knob and pound on the door yet it was unmoving. “LET ME OUT!” She shouted as she hit the door. Magic coursed through her and she tried breaking the door down with it but even that did nothing. The door simply absorbed the magic she threw at it and Mary let out a scream of frustration before she slumped to the floor.
“NOW KISS AND MAKEUP.” Mania had shouted through the door.
Mary didn’t have anything to say to Alec. She gritted her teeth and glared at the ground by the door. “I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO HIM. OPEN THE DOOR, NOW.”

“Did you hear something, Esmerelda?” Mary could hear Mania speaking through the door.
“Nope.” The other voice returned. “Must’ve been your imagination.”
Alec shifted and he moved to take a step forward when Mary held up her hand, her gaze still on the floor. “Don’t you dare come any closer.” Her voice was venomous.
Alec held up his hands in front of him and swallowed. He slowly lowered himself to sit on the ground across the room from her.
Silence consumed the room. Mary’s gaze was transfixed on the ground. She memorized every crack in the tile on the floor. Every speck. Every slight warping. She stared at the floor while Alec’s gaze never left her and it made her skin prickle. It made her angrier. What did these fools hope to accomplish? Her daughter could need her help right now and she was stuck in a room with him.
Minutes passed in the silence and Mary only steamed. Her rage was starting to consume her.

She took in a deep breath and remembered her training as in Martial Arts.
She tried so hard to meditate. She closed her eyes. She calmed her heart. She thought about something else. Her eyes came open slightly and Alec was still staring at her.
Rage filled her again and she clenched her fists.
Time continued ticking by in silence and Mary’s anger was going nowhere. She refused to look at Alec, but she could see him staring at her from the corner of her eye and it infuriated her. He was just silent as he sat, his eyes never leaving her.
Was this all some game to torture her? “I’ve had enough.” She whispered harshly. “Let me out.”
“I… can’t, Mary.” Alec cleared his throat.
Mary clenched her fists tighter and swallowed. “Is this funny to you?”
“No, Mary. Not at all.” Alec’s voice was soft.
She rolled her eyes. “I don’t believe you.”
“What can I do-”
“Stop talking.” Mary cut him off. “I don’t believe you. I’m not buying it. You stopped caring about us a long time ago Alec and I-”
“Enough!” Alec’s voice was louder this time. “Enough, Mary.” He breathed out harsh breaths. “I’ve made so many mistakes, Mary, and I can admit to that. I know I messed up, big time… but I’ve never stopped caring-”
“Bull.” Mary spat and she turned her glare directly onto him. “‘Can’t you think of someone other than yourself,’ Alec?” She mocked him. It was exactly what he said to her on the phone. “‘I don’t want your help.’” Her face twisted in anger and hurt. “Those are your words, Alec. Not mine.”
Alec clammed up then and Mary shook her head.
“What? Not going to try and convince me that I’m wrong? I’ve got more.” She paused in thought. “Tell me why I should believe you didn’t stop caring? Huh? Because you suddenly care now that I’m gone? Well where was that MONTHS AGO when I NEEDED YOU.”
Alec stood up then.

“What are you doing? Stop it… don’t you dare come any closer… ALEC!” Mary watched him walk with sureness in his steps over to her and she clenched her fists. Mary stood then and took a step back. “I told you to NOT come CLOSER!” Mary was clenching her fists.
He didn’t listen to her though, instead he came even closer than normal and invaded her space. His lips came crashing down onto hers and Mary’s eyes went wide. She was so angry. He was invading her space.

She missed him too much. Where was this man months ago? She needed to do something. She needed to shove him off. Tears began to fall from her eyes and it made her angrier. It snapped her out of her mental trance and she shoved him back hard, suddenly. Her hands pressed forward on his chest and just as fluidly her right hand snapped forward and collided with his cheek as she slapped him hard.
She clutched her arms around herself as tears continued to fall from her eyes. “I… want… I want to hate you so much.” Her voice was a whisper.

Alec’s golden eyes stared into hers with anguish in them. The golden eyes she spent the last twenty years staring into. “I’m sorry, Mary.” His voice broke. “I’m sorry…” She knew it wasn’t about the kiss. His words implied everything.
“You can’t just… you can’t just come walking back in like everything is ok now… because it’s not.” Her voice was distorted by the tears. “Why… why can’t I just hate you?” She shook her head and sniffled. “You lied… you hid… you danced around these important topics for twenty years and I…” She held back a sob. “Why… why can’t I… why can’t I hate you?”
His eyes were glassy and they reflected pain, but he remained resolute. “I’m sorry, Mary.” He whispered again.
Mary broke down completely into a fit of sobs and she stepped forward before resting her forehead against his familiar shoulder. His familiar scent. His familiar touch. His familiar warmth. His familiar heartbeat. She sobbed as she let her arms rest against his chest. His arms wrapped around her waist and it made her cry harder. “Why couldn’t you let me in?!” She sobbed. “Why did you shut me out?”
“I shouldn’t have. I screwed up. I was just afraid and I… I shouldn’t have been. You’re my wife. I’ve shared everything with you… everything except the parts that I wasn’t even ready to accept myself.” He paused before continuing. “I’m not trying to make excuses. What I did was… beyond wrong and I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness but I…”
Mary’s fingers gripped at his shirt and she rested her head against him. “Where were you when you didn’t answer me for over a week?”
“I went to Bridgeport first, then to the Madhouse and a few other places.” His arms wrapped tighter around her. “I was trying to find my father. I searched and used so much magic that I think I overexpended myself a few times which… distorted my idea of time for how long I was gone and…”

“-and so you thought it was only a few hours when it had been days?” Mary swallowed as she finished his thought.
He nodded before resting his cheek against her head. “I’m so sorry, Mary.” He whispered. “I’m so… sorry.”
“You… you didn’t even care when I told you I was moving out.” Mary whispered.
Alec closed his eyes tightly and shook his head firmly. “I didn’t know. I didn’t get that message until…” It was too late. “Those messages… I know this won’t mean much but… they broke me, Mary.” He pressed his face against her hair and took a deep breath in.
“I thought… I thought you didn’t care.” She whispered.
“I did.” He breathed. “I still do. I was an idiot, but I’ve always loved you. I’ve never stopped. From the moment you stepped through the door and into my life the first time… I have always loved you.”
Mary choked on a soft sob as she clutched him even tighter. “I love you.” The words came out so much easier than she imagined they would. They slunk to the floor, still in each other’s embrace, where they both cried with a mixture of relief and release.
Alec broke the silence first. “Mary?”

“Yes, Alec?” She whispered back.
He swallowed. “Anne. My mother’s name was Anne. She died when I was eight. Poisoned.” He closed his eyes shut tight but he couldn’t stop from remembering the day. “I had walked in on them arguing just an hour earlier and my father had thrown me out of the room.” Feelings swarmed him as he found words for things he had never spoken about before. “He had been shaking my mother and she was on the floor begging him to stop when I had walked in.” He squeezed Mary tighter. He had pushed all of these memories away. He had tried so hard to forget them. “My father left the house in a hurry after Quinn arrived… his Priest. I don’t know where my brother was that day, but he was often gone too. He was just like my father and he never spoke to me much. I know he would spend time with my mother in the afternoons sometimes, but I have no idea what they talked about… I was like a stranger in my own home sometimes.” He frowned. “My mother was all I had. All… I can remember having.”
Mary looked up at Alec with sadness in her eyes. “She was poisoned? Couldn’t she have sifted the poison out with magic?”
Alec shook his head. “My mother was human, Mary. Just… a normal, mortal woman. She had no magic… she had no powers… she was just… her.” He swallowed. “She was drinking her tea when she started to feel pain. I remember the look on her face when she realized that something was wrong. She looked at me, horrified and knocked my tea out of my hands. She stood and tried to walk to the kitchen when she collapsed in agony.” Alec began to rock slightly as he clutched Mary to him and he struggled to steady his breathing. “I can still hear her screaming, Mary.” He breathed. “She kept trying to talk to me, to keep me calm because I was crying. I didn’t know what was going on… Just that my mother was hurting.” He paused then to try and gather his emotions. “There was this moment as she was clutching herself on the floor that she seemed to realize that she was going to die. She told me… she loved me.” Alec’s voice broke with emotion and Mary shifted up to hug him tighter. “She loved me and Sheogorath, too. She looked at me as the light was fading from her eyes and told me to tell my father that she will always love him.” He clenched his fists and anger filled him. “He was never worthy of her love. Never. Not after all he did to her.”

Mary squeezed him tighter and her hands ran through his hair. He had missed her embrace more than words could ever describe. He had missed everything about her. Mary was the first person he ever cared about more than himself after that day in his life. She changed everything and her leaving just reminded him of what a shell he was before her. “I’m so… I’m so sorry, Mary.” He cried into her shoulder.
She quieted him and continued to run her hands through his hair. “I’m sorry, too.” She whispered.
Alec continued to cry but he slowly calmed himself to speak again. “My father came waltzing in the doorway as I was… begging my mom to come back. I was so scared, Mary. I didn’t know what was going on, just that my mother was on the ground and she wasn’t breathing. I screamed for her to wake up because… I thought she had to have been asleep. It was the only thing I could possibly think of. My father stumbled in, stupid, insane… he was probably giddy… and with a wave of his hand I fell through the floor and into someone else’s house.” He shook his head. “With a single gesture he had thrown me out of the only home I had ever known. It was like he had been waiting to do that… and I…”
“Whose house did he teleport you to?” Mary looked at him, horrified.
“My grandparents. Robert and Victoria Trebo.” He bit his cheeks. “They let me stay with them, but they never let me forget who I was related to. Victoria told me everyday I would grow up to be just like my terrible father. He had kidnapped my mother and forced her into a marriage. He had broken her spirit and drove her to insanity with him just for fun. He had forced… me... onto her. She had a fiance before him… and a good life ahead of her… and my father took it all away.”
Mary didn't have words to articulate how she felt.

“Victoria was worse than Robert. Robert wasn't so bad, but he was a bit of an alcoholic. When he died after my grandmother he left me everything. The money, the shops, the house. I was 19. I sold it all and took my grandfather's name before relocating around the world. I didn't hear a thing back from my father until I was 23.” He sighed and frowned. “Sheogorath showed up at my door one day and suddenly I was taken to the Madhouse. No ‘hellos,’ no ‘how have you beens.’ I don't even know what he wanted. He didn't speak to me directly for a few years even after that.”
Mary frowned. “My father… my father was brought back… maybe we could bring back your mother?”
Alec shook his head. “I’ve already tried everything. When Thanatos rose and became the first God of Death I went and begged him. I offered my own life as tithe. I just wanted to see her again.”

Mary had no idea what he was talking about entirely, but she brushed it aside. “That didn’t work?”
“She’s not in the Land of the Dead. Her body and soul dissolved into the Essence of the World. She can’t be brought back because there’s nothing left of her to be brought back.”
Mary looked down and frowned. “Oh.”
“So now you know.” He whispered.
Mary continued staring down before she let out a long breath. “I wish you would’ve told me sooner.”
He swallowed. “I know.” His voice was quiet. “I’m sorry.”
She didn’t look up. She had far too many emotions running through her to make any rational decisions. Edward was still in Bridgeport, otherwise she would’ve spoken to him. “I know.” She finally said as she swallowed. She pulled herself away from him. Being close to him was fogging her mind. Being away from him fogged her mind.
Why did this have to happen?

“Mary…” Alec’s voice drew her back in and Mary could feel the tears running out of her eyes. “What can I do to fix this?”
Mary wiped her tears hastily. “I don’t know.” Her voice was quiet. “I… I need more time.”
“I’ll do whatever it takes.” He whispered. “Please, Mary…”
“You walked away, Alec. You shut me out. You yelled. You lied.” Mary swallowed. “I’m not sure this can be fixed.”
Alec grew still at her words, his eyes filled with horror. “I’ve screwed up but I’m not going to make these mistakes again… Mary please…”
Mary slowly put more distance between them. “I need more time.” She whispered.
He bit his cheek and nodded. “Whatever you need. Just say the word.”
She slowly pulled herself to her feet and nodded. “Give me a few hours to process this. I’ll… I’ll call you when I’m ready.” She frowned and her voice became cold. “You’ll answer this time?”

“The only way I wouldn’t is if the phone company shut down.” He whispered. “Even then, I might hang out there just in case to make sure it won’t.”
Mary resisted laughing slightly, but she still smiled. After a moment her smile fell. “I’m not going to chase you again.”
He began to shake his head. “I would never ask you to.”
Mary nodded and swallowed before walking towards the doorway. “We’ve talked. Can I leave now?” She asked weakly.
The door came open suddenly and Mary began to walk and soon her form was replaced by Mania. She looked at him expectantly. “So?”
Alec just nodded as he sat on the floor. “Thank you, Mania.”
“Of course.” She smiled and nodded before closing the door and disappearing.

Alec sat and stared at his phone. He would not miss this call. He had been staring at it for almost four hours. He would not miss this call. It sat on the charger, in the area of the house that guaranteed him full service. He would not miss this call.
The phone began to vibrate and Alec picked it up immediately. “Hello? Mary?”

“Alec? It’s Jack.” Jack’s voice responded. “Is everything ok?”
“Yeah, sorry, Jack. I’m just… expecting a call from Mary.” Alec cleared his throat.
“Ah! Sorry, I won’t keep you. I just wanted to let you know that Eveline and Jupiter have made it back safely and they’ve got news!”
Alec cleared his throat. “Mania told me that my daughter is pregnant. I swear that better have been a horrible joke.”
Jack chuckled. “Congratulations! They’re both very excited about it.”
“As soon as I find my umbrella, your son is as good as dead, Jack.” Alec said quickly before he sighed and laughed. “Is Eveline doing ok? I know she still hates me.”
“I don’t think she hates you, Alec. She’s just emotional. I would give her some time though…”
Alec nodded. “I will. I’ve got a lot I need to make up for. I hate to cut this short, Jack, but I want to make sure I catch Mary’s call.”
“Of course! Take care of yourself, ok?”
“You too, Jack. Keep an eye on my daughter for me, ok?” Alec’s fingers grew jittery as he tried to hurry the conversation along.
“I will.” Jack said warmly. “Good luck!”
“Thanks.” Alec whispered. “I’ll probably need it.”

They hung up the phone and Alec put his head on the table as he sighed. He would wait an eternity staring at his phone. He wouldn’t miss this call.
He wasn’t sure how long it was before his phone began to vibrate again and he jolted upwards. Mary’s number was written across his phone and he felt so many things run through him at once. He answered immediately, scrambling to make sure he hit the right buttons. “Mary? Are you there?”
It was quiet for a moment and Alec felt his heart clench before her voice spoke through the line. “I’m here.”
Relief filled him but he was left speechless. What could he even say to her?

“Do you have a minute?” Mary’s voice filled the silence for him.
“I have as much time as you need me to have.” He whispered.
She fumbled with the phone before responding. “Can we meet up somewhere?”
“Wherever you want to meet. Just say the word.” His heart was pounding. He had no idea what was coming.
“Meet me at the Bistro in half an hour?”
He nodded to himself. He could teleport there immediately. He would not miss her. “Absolutely. I’ll be there.”
“Ok.” Her voice was very quiet. “I’ll see you then.”
The phone call ended and Alec wasted no time throwing open a teleport. He didn’t care if anyone looked at him strange for teleporting into the middle of a restaurant. He would do it again and again. Whatever Mary needed. He needed to make this right.

Eveline clutched Jupiter’s arm and rested her head against his shoulder. She took in a deep breath and hung onto him for dear life as they sat on the couch. Seema looked at her with a curious smile as she idly rubbed her swollen stomach. “You’ll have to let go of him eventually, Evie.” She teased. Eveline stared at her stomach for a long time and wondered if her stomach would look like that eventually too. She blinked slowly and tilted her head, hardly paying any attention.

Finally, she spared a glance at Jupiter who smiled back at her before her inquisitive gaze fell back to her best friend again. “Not if I can help it.” She mumbled.
They had gotten back from Egypt and Eveline hadn’t been able to separate herself from Jupiter since the morning she had awoken after having a much-needed conversation with her grandfather. She wasn’t entirely sure what it was that shook her so much, but the thought of him leaving scared her half to death. She could spend all day staring at him, and while the world was pretty and she actually got to see a pyramid, nothing ever compared to the way Jupiter looked.
She had no sense of shame and she stared at things far longer than normal people would. She had been blind her whole life and now the world was new and exciting. Even Bear had become a subject that consumed five minutes of her time as she stared at him.

Seema laughed and shook her head. “These pregnancy hormones, are they already getting to you, Evie?”
Jupiter rubbed Eveline’s back carefully and Eveline inched closer to him. “I have no idea.”
Seema groaned as the baby kicked inside of her. “This child may not be magical, and I know I love him to pieces, but can you please stop assaulting your mother from the inside, sweetie?” Seema whispered to her stomach.
“How have things been here while we were gone?” Eveline asked then as she rubbed her cheek against Jupiter.
“Well…” Seema pursed her lips and seemed to struggle to say what’s on her mind. “Todd and I are talking, but that’s not really news.” She sighed. “The town has been, more or less, problematic.”
“Problematic?” Jupiter asked then, his brow furrowing. “Was there a Red-Out?”
Seema’s face grew very serious and she frowned. “We had four Red-Outs.”

Eveline’s eyes went wide. “Four?!”
Seema nodded intensely, “that’s not the weird part though.”
“How is that not the weird part?! How many people are dead? Seema! What happened?”
Jupiter calmly pulled Eveline to him and she felt herself relaxing despite the news. Seema looked at them and carefully put her arms over her stomach. “You won’t believe me when I tell you.”
“How bad is it? Is it someone we knew?” Eveline clutched Jupiter’s hand as she braced herself for the news. “Who was killed?”

Seema shook her head, her eyes big. “No one.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Long Live the Queen and Second Chances
« Reply #1042 on: August 18, 2016, 03:59:10 AM »
Second Chances: Part Two
Realm of Majnun: Present Day
Majnun walked and threw the door open to his study. A scowl immediately fell upon his face as he stepped into the room. He pursed his lips and his eyes narrowed. “I should have known I couldn’t get an ounce of peace and quiet.” He grumbled.

“Good to see you, too, Majnun.” Olivia murmured as she looked through one of the books.
“If it isn’t my favorite pest. Come to bother me again, have you?” He sauntered over to his desk and sat down, throwing his feet up in the chair.
Olivia rolled her eyes and sighed. “Did I manage to sneak up on you? You truly are losing your touch, old man.” She gave him a steady glance.

He grumbled and rolled his eyes. “Blah, blah, blah, nag, nag, nag. What do you want?!” He snapped.
Olivia sighed and frowned. “I need to talk to you about something… something… rather big.”
“I already know about Fate’s plan. You can stop nagging me.” He waved her away, knowing this wasn’t what she wanted to talk about.
She gave him an annoyed stare. “For once, I’m not here on Reaper business. I’m here…” She sighed and closed her eyes, resigned. “I’m here as your ward.”
He pulled his feet from the desk and leaned forward, only minor annoyance on his face now. “I’m listening.”
Olivia bit her cheek and delicately began rolling up her sleeve. She held her arm out in his direction slightly. “Look.”
Majnun chuckled. “You have an arm. Congratulations.” He clapped. “Are you done now?”
Olivia sighed with slight frustration and she stepped closer to him. “I don’t mean my arm, Majnun. I’ve been bitten.”
Majnun motioned her over and he grabbed her arm, examining the Vampire bite on her skin that had scarred over - he knew the fang shape well. Malice had a very distinct bite. “Well that was one nasty bug.” He laughed darkly. “You’ll need an extra large fly-swatter to kill a bat.”

Olivia clenched her fist slightly and scowled. “It’s not just the bite, Majnun. It’s the scar.”
He looked up at her with a smirk; “it’s very pretty.” He batted his eyelashes.
“Majnun!” She scowled. “It won’t go away, that’s what I mean. I can’t make it go away!”
Majnun did not break his gaze from her, but she felt the magic run over her skin. Slowly Majnun’s smirk fell and his gaze snapped to her arm. He yanked her arm closer to him, causing her to stumble forward. “That’s… fascinating.” His voice was dark and an equally dark smile grew on his lips.
Olivia leaned awkwardly on the desk so he could examine her arm and she resisted scowling. After a minute Majnun yanked on her arm to pull it closer and she was nearly yanked on top of the desk.
Majnun then turned the opposite direction in his chair and held her arm up into the light, dragging Olivia behind him. She frowned harsher. “Majnun!” She grumbled.
He stood then, her wrist still tightly his his grasp and started walking, causing her to be dragged behind him, off his desk and shortly in step behind him as she tried to regain her balance.

“My arm is still attached to me, you know!” She snapped.
“He should’ve cut it off.” Majnun grumbled as he grabbed a book with his other hand. He began flipping rapidly through the pages of the book before he threw it violently to the side.
Olivia frowned, “what did that book ever do to you?”
He looked at her and grinned darkly. “It told me I was insane.” He whispered.

Olivia made a neutral face, “well, we can’t have that - can we?”
“There’s nothing in the books on this!” He threw another book across the room.
Olivia winced and sighed before rolling her eyes, “you don’t say?” She said sarcastically. “I only combed through your library and Irena’s before coming to see you.”
Majnun grumbled under his breath and looked at her intensely before dragging her over to a chair and shoving her down into it. “Speak.”
“Where do you want me to start?” Olivia kept her eyes facing forward.
“You know where to start.” Majnun crossed his arms and glared at the ceiling.
She folded her hands in her lap and swallowed. “I haven’t been able to change my shape since Eveline went to Prom.”
Majnun turned and walked towards his desk, fiddling with something on it.
Olivia sucked in another breath. “I’ve noticed I’m capable of feeling human emotions, I have been able to since before Noten’s death but I cannot pinpoint exactly when.”

He hummed under his breath and knocked all the things off his desk before moving to stand on it while swatting at the ceiling. “Right. Go on.”
She watched him for a moment while pursing her lips. “When I took Jupiter to Malice, I experienced pain for the first time since my trial.” She frowned at the memories of the white courtroom she faced in order to start the Reapers. They had told her then that she was out of her bounds as a Protection Spirit. They wanted to kill her for it. Yet, at the end of it all they were ok with believing that she was still within her bounds.

Olivia hated to admit that they were right all along.
Majnun fell off his desk backwards, landing on his back directly in front of Olivia. He eyed her cautiously from the floor. “Fascinating. What about Timmy?”
Olivia sighed and put her head into her hands. “You’re not listening, are you?”
“Nope.” Majnun stood up then and shook his head around as if he were shaking wet hair. “Blumber set subego. But then where will we store the ham sandwiches?” He pursed his lips in thought. “The pontoon could work. Desolation on the windmill’s lightning rods.”
Olivia shook her head and stood up. “Alright, you’re busy, I get it. I’m sorry for intruding.” She moved to walk away when Majnun gripped her scarred arm tightly in his hand.
With a fluid movement he threw her back into her seat before snapping his fingers and sitting down on the chair that appeared next to her. His eyes were crystal clear as he stared at her. “You do realize I have to kill you now, right?” He sat back in his chair and crossed his legs before shrugging loosely. “I took an oath when I took you on as my ward at your trial that I would kill you if you stepped out of the bounds of a spirit.” He cleared his throat. “Which means no feeling emotions, no actual physical forms, and no scarring.”
Olivia’s face was emotionless.

“Give me your arm, Olivia.” He held out his hand.
She looked at him for a long moment before slowly placing her arm in his grip.
In a movement faster than her eyes could catch, Majnun conjured something and sliced the skin on her arm open with four little cuts. By the time he had finished was when Olivia really registered it causing her to scream and buckle to the floor. Pain radiated up and down her arm and she whimpered, her eyes growing blurry.
This was all impossible. Why was she capable of doing this? Spirits had no form. Spirits could not feel pain. Spirits could not cry.
She felt something trickling down her arm and she sucked in a breath.
Spirits could not bleed.

She stared, stunned at the floor before she felt Majnun carefully moving her arm. He twisted it and gently touched at the wounds. She winced as he touched the sensitive skin there before suddenly his hand was in front of her eyes - his fingers covered in a golden liquid. His voice was cold and calculated. “Did this happen when Malice bit you?”
Olivia felt woozy and she shook her head quickly. “No… nothing like that. It was just a bite that hurt. Nothing…” She closed her eyes tightly. “Nothing came out.” She blinked back the blurriness that filled her eyes and sucked in a harsh breath. “I swear to you, I did not bleed then… I don’t know what’s going on…”
Majnun eyed her carefully, his face unreadable. He let go of her arm slightly, yet still held it so she couldn’t pull it back to her. He conjured something else and Olivia braced herself for further pain yet none came. Something wrapped around her arm and she looked up nervously, only to see Majnun carefully dressing her wound with a cloth, his eyes focused on the task at hand. He finished wrapping the wound and carefully pulled her sleeve down over it before standing suddenly and walking to one of the chests in his room.
He grumbled under his breath as he slowly tossed potions out and around the room before settling on one and walking back over to her. He placed it in her hands firmly. “This will get rid of the scarring. It’ll take several applications, have Tragic apply it.”
Olivia stared at the bottle numbly. “It won’t matter if I’m scarred when you kill me, my lord.”
He scowled. “Call me that one more time and I will kill you.” His voice fluctuated and reflected that he wasn’t serious. He pulled Olivia to her feet and walked her over to the door carefully. He stared around the room with skeptical eyes. “When the world is watching, play a good part. I can’t promise anything after my own death, but I can keep you alive until then. After that? You’re on your own. Speak of this to absolutely no one.”

Olivia swallowed and looked at him quizzically. “I don’t understand…”
Majnun laughed insanely before pulling himself back in and returning to a whisper. “What’s there to understand? You’re not a spirit. You never were.” He shook his head. “I don’t know what you are yet, and we’re running out of time, but I’m working on it.”
She shook her head. “Not a spirit? That’s impossible, Majnun.”
“So you think.” He grumbled. “Your magic is different. It’s always been different. I’ve met many spirits and you possess magical properties that they do not.” He rolled his eyes. “Also, none of them have quite the ability to nag that you do.”
Olivia looked down at her arm and frowned. “What are you going to do?”
Majnun sighed. “First, I’m going to kick you out, then I’m going to go deal with a wolf-pup.” He paused. “Oh, you meant about you? Not sure yet. For now you need to get rid of the scars.” He opened the door to his study and shoved her. “If anything else happens, you know where to find me.” He groaned. “Unfortunately. Now scram!” He slammed the door behind her.

Olivia took careful steps forward before opening a portal to Windwaker. She wasn’t sure what she just witnessed.
She wasn’t sure of anything, anymore.

Mary approached the Bistro cautiously, she wasn’t sure how much heartbreak she could take anymore. What was she even doing here? She should’ve asked him to sign the papers. She should’ve just put this all behind her as she did her best to acknowledge that she devoted twenty years of her life to a man who couldn’t even tell her some simple truths about himself.

It wasn’t that simple though and she knew it. She wanted him to sign those papers as much as she wanted him to tear them up. She could see him then, he sat outside anxiously. His leg was shaking in the way she’d see it shake a hundred times or more when he was anxious and had something on his mind.
That was her now, she imagined, that was causing that jittery leg. She swallowed and took in a long breath before stepping forward and sitting down across from him fluidly, causing him to jump before he eased. “Mary…”

The way he said her name only made her ache inside. She needed to say something before he weakened her will any further than what it already was. “Don’t speak, please.” She wasn’t playing around anymore. No more going to him on his schedule. “You hurt me more than I can ever describe, Alec.” She bit her cheek and stared at the table. “I don’t honestly know if I can recover from it. If we can recover from it.” She lifted her gaze to see Alec’s pained features. “I’m willing to try though.” Mary said quietly.
Alec’s face shifted from a look of agony to something of hope, and his mouth came open slightly. She held out her hand. “No, please, I’m not done.” She fidgeted with her hands before gathering her courage. “You need to give me time, and we’ll have to take this slowly.” She paused. “I’ve been staying on my own for a few months now and I think it should remain that way for a while.” She struggled to continue making eye contact. “If that’s not something you want to do or can handle then we should sign those papers and-”
“I will do anything you need, Mary.” He cut her off. His gaze was on her earnestly and part of her wanted to rejoice while the other part of her felt a mixture of anxiety. How long would this last?

“You cannot step out on me or Eveline for your father… or this vengeance thing ever again.” She said firmly.
Alec shook his head. “Never again.”
Mary felt herself growing slightly upset. “I mean it, Alec.” She reaffirmed. “One more time and I’m gone and you will never hear from me ever again.”
Alec finally let his gaze drop to the table and let out a breath. “I understand. I would not ask you to stay. I’m just grateful you did.”
They sat in the quiet while other people walked around them with food and drinks. Mary carefully watched everyone walk with her heart still pounding in her stomach. She could see a waiter approaching them and she bit her cheeks.
“Are you-”
“No, I don’t…” Mary cut him off, carefully staring at the table, yet she didn’t know what to say.
Alec fumbled with something before handing the waiter some cash. “I think we’re both good here, honestly. Thank you though.” He responded smoothly. He was always knew exactly what to say, it was something Mary loved about him. The waiter walked away, slightly surprised and Mary smiled softly at Alec.
“Thank you.” She breathed.
“Of course.” His features were soft as he looked at her.

Mary broke away from his gaze and looked down. “I think I’m going to go and check up on Eveline, she told me she was back in town and she had news.”
Alec smiled. “I think you’ll like the news. I heard it through Jack.”
Her eyes went wide. “Did Jupiter propose?”
“I’m not going to spoil the surprise for them.” He smiled at her warmly and she could see it in his eyes.
“He did! Didn’t he?” Mary laughed and shook her head. Alec was smirking, there was more. “What?”
“What?” He smiled at her gently, confused.
“You’ve got that look on your face - the one that says you know more.” Mary pointed.
He smiled and shook his head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Mary laughed and shook her head. “Alright, strong and silent. I see how it is.” She teased before she slowly took in a breath and nodded. “It is good news, right?”
“I think so.” He said quietly.
“Good.” She breathed. “Then I’m excited to see that ring.” She jumped suddenly as she felt her phone vibrating in her pocket. She looked at the text. “Oh! It’s Jupiter, they’re on their way to my place!” She stood up as the continued staring at the text message.
Alec stood up as well before he smiled slightly. “Mary?”

Mary looked up at him, slightly surprised and found him staring at her. “Huh? Yes?” Her voice came out quieter than she expected.
“Would it be out of the question for me to ask you on a date this weekend?” He asked her hesitantly.
She took a moment to process the question before she smiled. “I’d like that.” She bit her lip and looked down. “I’ll text you?”
“That sounds great.” He smiled at her and they stood in a silence for a minute before Mary gestured to the side of her and waved, disappearing down the road towards her house.

Alec had watched Mary disappear when he felt his phone going off in his pocket. He looked at it curiously as a message from an unknown sender came in. There was no name, and more curiously there was no phone number attached to it. His heart sunk into his gut.

I hear you’ve been looking for me.
It was followed by another one.
We need to talk. I’ll be waiting at the Swallow House.

Offline Nienor

• Still working on the history chapter...
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #1043 on: August 18, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
Wow. I just turn on the computer and see the longest reply ever, a helpful thing on my story and three chapters on this story - you really are a brilliant, committed... I don't know, demigod or something!

The extraordinarily detailed comment reply: (because I can't just leave it there!)
It's tragic (sorry, couldn't resist) how won't be able to come back, at all, I've always secretly been hoping she somehow will, although at least there are still a few chapters left before she gets poisoned, so I'll see her a bit more...
As for Song of the Nightingale, it is a shame you won't be posting it here, but I get your reasoning  :( And, wow, you've got my expectations up really high now, and the length means there's lots to enjoy; I am just really exited!
As for 2.0 - I've been reading it since the first two chapters now, can I give my sneaky little way of finding it without PMing you, before you'd even announced it. You gave a link to the Book of Atalan a while back now (I think the post with the God(esse)s in) and then I reached it from a link via there... [I'll take bit down if it shouldn't be allowed, sorry!]

And now the posts (I just kind of summarised my thoughts, as there were three, and I didn't wish to ramble on forever):
I hate the inexorable build up to Anne's death, yet I can't not read chapters with her in!
So it is both Alessandra and Destiny, I wondered about them separately, but didn't guess it was both of them!
And then when one mystery is solved, you drop another one on us. Maybe Olivia is actually a watcher called LivvieLove who created this world  and then couldn't ever escape, trapping other people with her?
I have to say though, my favourite part was Alec's explanation for how Majnun 'killed' Anne, it was very well done  :D He is the literally the only people who knows of him and doesn't love him, Alessandra calls Anne a 'Queen', so he's the 'King', and even Malice and co. must eventually succumb. Its inevitable, one can't not adore him...
If you're bored, try my Perfect Genetics Legacy thingy.
Deidre McMillan's (DV Maid) Perfect Genetics Dynasty
If you're not, go and read the Silmarillion, until you are bored, then read my story.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #1044 on: August 18, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
Wow. I just turn on the computer and see the longest reply ever, a helpful thing on my story and three chapters on this story - you really are a brilliant, committed... I don't know, demigod or something!

The extraordinarily detailed comment reply: (because I can't just leave it there!)
It's tragic (sorry, couldn't resist) how won't be able to come back, at all, I've always secretly been hoping she somehow will, although at least there are still a few chapters left before she gets poisoned, so I'll see her a bit more...
As for Song of the Nightingale, it is a shame you won't be posting it here, but I get your reasoning  :( And, wow, you've got my expectations up really high now, and the length means there's lots to enjoy; I am just really exited!
As for 2.0 - I've been reading it since the first two chapters now, can I give my sneaky little way of finding it without PMing you, before you'd even announced it. You gave a link to the Book of Atalan a while back now (I think the post with the God(esse)s in) and then I reached it from a link via there... [I'll take bit down if it shouldn't be allowed, sorry!]

And now the posts (I just kind of summarised my thoughts, as there were three, and I didn't wish to ramble on forever):
I hate the inexorable build up to Anne's death, yet I can't not read chapters with her in!
So it is both Alessandra and Destiny, I wondered about them separately, but didn't guess it was both of them!
And then when one mystery is solved, you drop another one on us. Maybe Olivia is actually a watcher called LivvieLove who created this world  and then couldn't ever escape, trapping other people with her?
I have to say though, my favourite part was Alec's explanation for how Majnun 'killed' Anne, it was very well done  :D He is the literally the only people who knows of him and doesn't love him, Alessandra calls Anne a 'Queen', so he's the 'King', and even Malice and co. must eventually succumb. Its inevitable, one can't not adore him...
(Laughter) Oh long-winded comments are my speciality! You can just ask poor @oshizu, who has been subjected to several of my long-winded responses...
As for the lovely compliment, I like to think of myself as an insomniac with too much time on her hands. Nah, I am a full-time student and near full-time employee at a salon, so I'm just really used to being very busy. School has been out and will continue to be out until the week of the 30th and suddenly I'm left here with nothing to fill my insane amounts of time I gained. Hence, I write more and 'Troll Da Forums' more. ;)

As for Anne, I just want to say it was insanely hard writing her death. I poured like half of my heart into it. In fact, I wrote the original chapter for it about a month ago because I was in a slump then and I had watched something horribly sad that I couldn't shake myself from so I used it to my advantage to write a very moving chapter. I definitely cried while writing the next few chapters and getting screenshots was a huge affair for me. My fiance kept asking if I was ok, and I was like 'how can I be ok? I'm a monster. I just killed Anne!'

Song of the Nightingale - it is a shame, but I'm glad that I don't have to tone down any parts of the characters. It was really freeing writing Quinn in the Reapers 2.0, just because he got to be himself and respond naturally.
It does make me a wee bit nervous for Mary and Edward's generation... Heh. XD

Don't worry about taking that out! Oshizu actually found the rewrite there and if I'm totally honest I put it there intentionally hoping people might find it. I can't quite link to it here, obviously, but there's nothing in the rules about that. ::) Shh, don't tell anyone! If you would like, I can still put you on the PM list for when I do update, which includes author's commentary on the chapters at hand. I do think Blogger does give announcements to people though if you sign up through them or something? I don't know how that works. ::) Still new to the blog thing.

Finally! Response to your response to my chapters!
Building up Anne's death has been both fun and horribly sad. When writing these next two chapters I was just watching all the pieces slide perfectly together and it was just... hard to watch. It's like watching a horror movie and you're screaming 'NO DON'T GO IN THERE, THE MURDERER IS IN THERE.'
Yes! The murderers have been revealed! Now the question is, what does Majnun deem a suitable punishment for murdering the only woman he ever loved?
Then, what is a suitable punishment that's also forum-friendly? XD
Oh I'm so excited for Olivia's storyline. I feel bad because she'll probably be the most confusing character for everyone to adjust to because I was just joking around and calling her 'the watcher' for a while before things got serious. Now that I'm serious about it, that term will definitely not be in my rewrite. I'll likely keep a few remnants of it here or there in this version, but I've been trying to quietly fade it out. Alas, my Simself has come a long way, and her personality hardly even resembles mine anymore (she doesn't talk nearly as much, obviously).
Finally, the bit on Alec. I think part of the most painful things for me was writing both sides to this story (of Majnun and Anne). From the perspective of Majnun it's clear that he's a wonderful man who loved Anne with everything he had. He just wanted to be a good husband and father and he just kept missing things just slightly. We all know now Majnun definitely didn't kill her (though, there was a time when I wanted to make it seem like he did, yet poor Majnun just fell far too hard for her, there was no recovery). Yet Alec had a very different perspective of events and it's been heartbreaking to write them because I can see both sides of it.
Phew! Before I launch into another tangent, I'm going to call it and end my comment. Thank you dearly for your lovely and thoughtful responses. I love reading what people have to say and think about my story!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #1045 on: August 18, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »
Not to be shallow, but I'm just going to start off by seeing we need a cuter Alec to go with the new teenage Alec.

On a more serious note, I love that Mary has decided to forgive Alec just as they are about to become grandparents.

I have to confess that I was rather peeved with Mary--why the stubbornness about drinking the Magic potion? Has she no desire to be there for her family? Her death transformed the lives of Majnun and Alec for the worse.

And while I remember who Seema is, I no longer remember the identity of her baby daddy. Also, I continue to distrust Seema.

And even more mystery about Majunun's ward Olivia! He really is a big-hearted guy--I'm always glad to see glimpses of that.

Mary and Alec at the bistro--I spied the blond girl there and thought, "Liddell?" And just as Alec is feeling calm, his world falls apart again.
I truly hope he soon finds out the truth about his parents.

Edited to add: Yes, @LivvieLove is right! I meant that "I was rather peeved with Anne," not Mary.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
« Reply #1046 on: August 18, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
Not to be shallow, but I'm just going to start off by seeing we need a cuter Alec to go with the new teenage Alec.

On a more serious note, I love that Mary has decided to forgive Alec just as they are about to become grandparents.

I have to confess that I was rather peeved with Mary--why the stubbornness about drinking the Magic potion? Has she no desire to be there for her family? Her death transformed the lives of Majnun and Alec for the worse.

And while I remember who Seema is, I no longer remember the identity of her baby daddy. Also, I continue to distrust Seema.

And even more mystery about Majunun's ward Olivia! He really is a big-hearted guy--I'm always glad to see glimpses of that.

Mary and Alec at the bistro--I spied the blond girl there and thought, "Liddell?" And just as Alec is feeling calm, his world falls apart again.
I truly hope he soon finds out the truth about his parents.
Alright, that's it. I'm going to do change out adult Alec.
I was really hesitant about it, mostly because I don't want to confuse people, but I'm going to just put up a little notice that Alec is getting his face changed, but he's still the same Alec, just looks different. Hopefully that will work because... I mean...

Hellooooo! He's HOT.

And for as often as I get face shots in my chapters (not very... too many goofy faces ruining my tone), hopefully people won't be too lost!

Anyways... onto the rest of your comment!
Mary has decided to forgive him and I'm so proud of her! I was really worried she wouldn't. I love Alec and Mary together - I do, even though Alec gets on my last nerve sometimes and flirts with women he shouldn't (glares at him).

Now, I'm assuming you meant Anne in this part of your comment (about her taking the magic), which I'm pretty sure was just a slip of the tongue since we just discussed Mary. ::) I do it all the time. Anne had me very upset too. I remember writing it and thinking "how could you do this to Majnun?" I had a bit of an existential crisis before I realized that this wasn't Anne talking. Destiny has been controlling her using the Book of Fate and that's why Anne responded so... un-Anne-like.

On Seema: Ah! Right, that's fine, I'm not going to put a lot of emphasis on her much, she's just Eveline's friend and her baby daddy is Todd Landgraab. The part I'm putting emphasis on is her son. ::) Right now, I love Seema, but we've got a lot of characters to remember and she's not that crucial of one, so don't sweat it! As for distrusting her, I think that's interesting. I can understand where you get that vibe, and maybe I'll explore it myself. I love mysteries...

Speaking of mystery! Majnun and Olivia are really hilarious and adorable to write. They fight a lot as characters, but at the end of the day I honestly believe Majnun cares about her in almost a paternal way. Majnun is actually a very caring person when it comes to most topics. I think the term mpart uses for characters like him is 'anti-hero' (her words, not mine, I usually just call him 'chaotic good/chaotic neutral' because I'm a D&D neeeeerd).

Hahah! If only the glorious Liddell could make an appearance from the story of @PeregrineTook! Alas, Liddell is quite busy tending to her wonderful lady-love... oh and that one guy she married. ::)

Finally, it will be a glorious day when Alec finally gets to have this conversation with his father. ;D I can't wait to write it.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Into the Abyss
« Reply #1047 on: August 18, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »
Author's note: Alright, so... here we go. We've come a long way with Majnun and Anne and now it's time to draw them to a close. I poured my absolute heart and soul into these chapters and if you feel even an ounce of the emotion I felt then it'll be a victory for me. I love all of the readers who have stuck with me through this duel story-line and I apologize if it caused any confusion.
Now - the chapters. This is broken up into two parts. They're not long by any means, but it just didn't feel right combining them into one. I know that sounds odd, but, I just wanted to do this right.
So, without further ado, the next chapters.

Into the Abyss
Quinn Flanagan’s face fell flat and he rolled his eyes. “I can still see you, you know.”
Sheogorath scowled and the veil fell away from him. “I… I hate this.”

“You were getting closer though.” Quinn tilted his head and then sighed. “Ok, not really. Listen, we’ve been doing this for a couple years now. You can at least change your skin color and eyes to blend in a little better, but you’re nowhere near ready for invisibility, kid.” He bit into an apple and sat down.
Sheogorath sighed heavily. “I’ll… I’ll never need to use this. Why… why do I have to learn?”
“Because that doofy clown you call ‘father’ and I call ‘master’ said so.” Quinn took another bite into the apple, his face wincing with disgust before he tossed the apple core behind him. “You know, it’s getting late, just go home for the night. The mistress will kill me if you’re not home by dinner.”

“It’s still afternoon.” Sheogorath grumbled.
“Is it?” Quinn looked outside and groaned. “This is so boring! I wish your father would hurry up and start this war with Malice - give me something to do.” He sighed and scratched his neck idly. “I wonder what that old fool is waiting for, anyways?”
“He’s trying to find a High Priest.” Sheogorath answered quietly. He’d seen a few people going into the Madhouse. They never came out.
Quinn snorted. “Good luck with that. Master’s been dragging his heels on that for over a thousand years now. That won’t happen anytime soon. We’ve done fine without a High Priest before.”
Sheogorath frowned. “He’s worried about Mother.”
Quinn looked at Sheo and sighed. “Agh, right, of course. Wants to see the future to make sure the mistress is safe. I get it.” He sighed dramatically. “He should hurry up. Can we just shove a group of people in the ritual room and lock it for seven days? See who makes it out alive? No?” He shrugged. “It’d speed things up, at least.”
Sheogorath pursed his lips and struggled to think of what to say. “F-F-Father says we’ve got an… an eternity to… to fight and win this war. That… that it’s worth it to slow down a-and look… look at the options.”

“Blah, blah.” Quinn reclined on the couch before sighing. “I suppose this is why I let the clown do the strategies and tell me where to show up.” He looked at Sheogorath and nodded with his head. “Get out of here, go and enjoy the rest of the day.”
Sheogorath felt himself smiling and he nodded. “Bye, Quinn.”
“Ta-ta.” Quinn gave a limp wave and let his arm fall solidly to the floor before sighing and grumbling about how he needed another job to fill his time.

Sheogorath walked in step outside of Quinn’s house and to the property line. Quinn hated him teleporting inside the house. Knocked over too many of his items on the shelves, apparently. Sheogorath smiled as he thought about the look on Quinn’s face right before he would vanish. Unfortunately, Mother did not find it as funny and she asked Sheogorath to not teleport inside Quinn’s house.
He always listened to Mother.
Sheogorath stepped to the end of the sidewalk and stretched. The sun was high above him and the breeze was warm in Dragon Valley. Fall had settled onto Midnight Hollow and it was much cooler than the other end of the world where he stood. He smiled at his talent. He couldn’t make himself invisible, but he could cross oceans in seconds. Slowly he warmed up his teleport in his hands as he stared at it with awe and excitement. It was like a rush of adrenaline.

He prepared the spell to begin his teleportation when something grabbed him from behind. A cloth covered his mouth and the world went black.

Anne painted her canvas gently, but something didn’t feel right. She stood back and stared at her painting, yet it had nothing to do with the paints there. She frowned. Something just didn’t feel right. The colors started changing on the canvas and she squinted and blinked rapidly, looking away and finding the room was changing colors too. Something was very wrong.
She slowly took in a breath and her hand came up to her head. The pain started then, so intense she could hardly breathe.

She was on the floor, staring at the ceiling, but she didn’t know how she got there. The pain tore through her body so intensely she couldn’t even take in a breath long enough to scream. Her hand trembled and suddenly her whole body was shaking too. Her body began to move on it’s own - but wait… no, that wasn’t her body. Majnun was trying to speak to her. She couldn’t hear him. She closed her eyes and willed herself to just breathe again, yet she couldn’t grasp that once familiar reflex.
Her lungs began to quiver as she desperately needed air, yet she couldn’t take a breath in. Her palms were bleeding from the pain causing her muscles to spasm and clench her fists too tightly. Majnun’s face was pained and panicked before she felt magic running through her and everything came unlocked in a startling moment.

She screamed and her body fell back into her table, knocking over a glass vial of paint with a shattering sound. She gasped and choked on the air she sucked in. Majnun continued holding her steady, his magic flowing into her. “Stop… Majnun.” She gasped. She wasn’t ready for this magic yet she didn’t know why. Something inside her head told her that he needed to stop.
“This is ridiculous, Anne!” Majnun’s voice was harsh and he hadn’t stopped. Another wave of pain ran through Anne and she closed her eyes and whimpered.
“Stop Majnun! Stop!” He had to stop. Why did he have to stop? Someone was telling her that he needed to stop. Why did she say that? This hurt too much. He was helping her. She wanted him to help her.
“No, Anne! You have to-”
The door came open and Aleccas peeked inside anxiously, his eyes big and filled with anxiety. “What are you doing to her?!”
He wasn’t doing anything, he was trying to help. Anne couldn’t say anything though and Majnun’s gaze snapped around in panic to see their son. “What are you doing in here?!” He was distressed. Her husband was distressed and she couldn’t find her voice to help him. She couldn’t even comfort her own child.

Aleccas sucked in a shaky breath and a tear spilled down his cheek. “Mommy!”
Anne’s will seemed to fade and suddenly she reached forward to clutch Majnun’s arms. Fire was running through her veins and she closed her eyes tightly. “I don’t want him to see me this way.” She whispered, barely able to articulate the words.
Majnun looked down at her and back to their son. “Get out!” He said quickly as he waved their son out of the room, closing the door and locking it up tight.
Anne pulled herself as close to her husband as she had the strength to. Her head was clear for a brief moment and she needed to take advantage of it before she said things that she didn’t want to say again. “Majnun…” She whispered. “Please… help me.”
Relief and determination filled Majnun’s eyes and he nodded firmly. He pulled her closer to him and she could feel the pain washing away from her with every breath she took. She closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his chest. She knew then that she needed to accept his gift. She was done being afraid for no reason. She was done dealing with the whispering thoughts in her head telling her it wasn’t safe. This was the safest she could ever possibly be: right next to her husband.
She felt her strength returning to her and she began to hug him tightly. “I’m so sorry.” She whispered. “I didn’t want to say those things. I didn’t want to tell you to stop. What’s wrong with me?”

“You were in pain, my heart.” Majnun’s fingers touched her hair gently. “Everything is ok. I’m right here with you now.”
“It wasn’t just that, Majnun… I don’t know… I can’t control those thoughts in my head. It’s like they’re not my own.” She shook her head. “I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be, my heart.” He let out a breath of relief and she felt his magic slowly fade away from inside of her.
She bit her cheek before speaking. “Please, don’t-” She couldn’t find the words. Don’t what? Stop using his magic? She couldn’t ask him to waste his magic like that.
He looked at her curiously. “What’s wrong?”
She needed to say it before she lost control again. “I accept your gift. I want you to make me a Magical Source.”
His brow furrowed as he sat on her words. “This is very sudden.” He said carefully.
She nodded. “I need to say it before those feelings come back. The irrational ones. I’m not afraid of magic. I have no reason to be, my sweet. I can’t explain it…”

He looked at her skeptically and rested his cheek against her head. “I do not wish for you to do something you’ll regret or resent me for.”
“I won’t.” She whispered. “I’ve made up my mind.”
Majnun let out a breath and chuckled lightly. “We can talk about it more after dinner, my heart.”
Anne eased, feeling satisfied with that response. She nodded. “Do you think Aleccas is alright?”
He carefully picked himself up, carrying her in his arms as he walked her over to the bed and sat her down there. His eyes were distant. “I had to think fast.” He sat down next to Anne and slowly shook his head. “He hates me, Anne. You can see it on his face.”
Anne leaned against him, frowning slightly. “He doesn’t hate you, my sweet. He’s just young.” She smiled slightly. “He has a bit of a personality.”
Majnun chuckled, shaking his head. “Personality? No, more like attitude. Attitude and snark that he picked up from hanging out with that ridiculous Priest of mine.”
She laughed. “He loves Quinn, and you do too.”
“Sh, not so loud.” Majnun gave her a warm side-eye.

Anne laughed harder and she smiled brightly before it slowly faded to a more solemn face. “We should probably check on Aleccas. I feel bad that he had to see me that way.”
Majnun kissed the side of her head gently. “I’ll go check on him. Take a minute to yourself to catch your breath, my heart.” He stood up fluidly. “Perhaps if a miracle happens this will be the turning point where our son hates me a little less.”
Anne gave him a stare and rolled her eyes slightly. “Majnun!” She scolded him lightly.
“Yeah, yeah, he doesn’t hate me.” He mumbled and waved away her concerns. “‘Personality,’ of course.” He took a few steps to the door and his voice dropped. “His ‘personality’ will get his head bashed in with one of my books if he’s not careful.”
“Majnun!” Anne scolded louder with wide-eyes.
Majnun laughed and walked out the door.

Anne sat in the quiet of her bedroom and carefully straightened herself. While her strength was returning, she still felt tired. Whatever it was that overtook her that afternoon had really done a number on her.
After she gathered herself she began to move towards the door and down the stairs. She could hear voices in the living room and she stepped quietly so she could listen in.
Majnun and Aleccas came into her view through the archway. Majnun was bent over, smiling slightly as he showed Aleccas a trick with his magic.

“That’s good.” He said quietly. “That’s very, very good, Aleccas.”
Aleccas looked at his father skeptically before he smiled softly at what he was doing. Anne smiled herself as she watched. That would be her in a matter of months - her learning how to wield the magic she would be given. She would not have nearly the talent her sons did.
She watched Aleccas perform the trick once again, forming some kind of bubble with his hands and Anne smiled wider. Aleccas was taking after Majnun in being good at wards. She stepped into the archway when the front door flew open.
Anne jumped as she saw Quinn as he looked around the room confused, he carried something in his hands.
“Quinn? Is everythi-”
“Where’s Sheogorath? He’s here, right? He made it home?” Quinn cut her off and Majnun stood up from where he had been with Aleccas.
“What’s going on?” Majnun asked firmly.

“Sheogorath is here, isn’t he?” Quinn asked again, his face twisted with concern.
Anne shook her head. “No, he’s been with you all afternoon, Quinn.”
Quinn was shaking his head. “I sent him home hours ago.” He looked around. “I had a bad feeling - something felt off so I went outside and found this.” He waved a cloth around.
Anne looked at him confused before reaching for it, yet Majnun snatched it up before she could look at it.
Majnun sniffed and scowled. “Red toadstool and lavender extract. Knockout powder. Very strong.”
Anne’s eyes went wide. “What does this mean?”
Majnun looked at her with anger in his eyes. “It means someone has our son.”

Anne felt her heart nearly stop beating in her chest. Quinn spoke up before she had even finished processing it. “I overturned everything and I think I located the strand of Order magic that teleported him out - and you know exactly who it traced back to.”
Majnun closed his eyes tightly and scowled. “Alessandra.”
Anne’s face hardened and she felt Aleccas tugging on her dress. Her arms went around her son instinctively and she crushed him to her side.
Majnun turned his gaze onto Anne. “I’m going to go get him back.”
“I’m coming with.” Quinn said firmly.
He turned, and as he did so Anne reached out and stopped him. He looked back at her and her face was lit up with anger. “Get our son back.” She said to him in a hushed voice. “And destroy her.”
Majnun nodded firmly before leaning over and kissing her. “I won’t be gone long.” He patted Aleccas’s shoulder and threw open the door. He walked out of it and into a portal with Quinn following close behind him.

Majnun had gone back to Quinn’s house and examined the trail of magic. It was far easier for him to trace than Quinn, and he was able to pick up the trail easily. It was almost as if Alessandra had hardly covered her tracks, yet Majnun knew she wasn’t very good at keeping herself concealed most of the time.
She lived off of drama. Nothing unusual there, save for that soon her life would be brought to an end.
Majnun used her magic like a guide and followed her tracks all the way to a cellar underground. Rage was filling him and the surrounding neighbors would feel his wrath. He tore down every door while following in her magical footsteps until he finally came to a door where the magic radiated strongest. She had used a ward to keep something inside. Something, or someone. Majnun had no trouble tearing it down and blowing the door open.

With Quinn behind him they took off running inside the room and found Sheogorath sitting behind the bars of a cage. Sheogorath looked at them in horror. “F-F-Father?!”
Majnun stepped forward and threw the door open. He walked into the cell and kneeled by his son, examining every inch of him. Every cut he found he would inflict upon Alessandra.
Sheogorath kept sputtering. “Father! Father!”
Majnun spoke calmly. “Everything is ok, Sheogorath. I’m going to take you home, but first we need to take the wards off of you that she placed and-”
“Father! It’s a… It’s a trap!” Sheogorath finally shouted. “It’s a TRAP!” He reached over and clutched his father’s arms. “Go home. Go home to Mother. Go now.”
Majnun looked at his son with confusion before a horrible realization settled on the room. Majnun was up and moving as fast as he could, leaving Quinn behind to finish removing the remaining wards from Sheogorath. Inside Majnun felt his chest tightening. A storm was brewing outside. He just had to make it home as fast as he could possibly go. Anne’s life depended on it.

After the portal had closed and Anne had watched Majnun disappear with Quinn she took in a breath and looked down at her son.
“Mommy? What’s going on?” Aleccas asked her, his brow furrowed.
Anne ran her hands through his hair and he swatted at them again, scowling. She smiled lightly before speaking. “We’re just going to go make sure your brother is safe. That’s all. It won’t take long.” She reached down and patted his cheek before sighing. “Let’s go make some tea, ok?”
Aleccas frowned. “I hate tea.”

Anne shook her head. “It’s good for you. Come’on, my little sweet.” She grabbed his hand and they walked into the kitchen where Anne began to fumble through the cabinets.
Aleccas watched her carefully before tilting his head. “What’s wrong?”
“I can’t find the tea, Aleccas. I know I put it back up in this cupboard.” She said as she stretched on her toes to feel the top shelf.
“Isn’t that it on the counter, mommy?” He pointed.
Anne turned her gaze towards it, confused. She shook her head. “I could’ve sworn that isn’t where I left it last.”
“Don’t worry, I’ll help you when you start forgetting more things.” Aleccas gave her a goofy smirk and Anne laughed.
“I’m glad I’ll have you then, my little sweet.” She walked over and found the kettle warm. “That’s strange.” She mumbled. Majnun must have warmed her tea before she had come down the stairs. She smiled to herself, he was always thoughtful about those things. Either that or he knew her tea-time by heart.
Probably a bit of both.

She poured out two cups and smiled as she carried them into the dining room, Aleccas nearly tripping her along the way as he jumped around in front of her. “Aleccas! You’ll make me spill our tea!” She scolded.
Aleccas had finally jumped his way into the chair next to hers and stared down at his tea with a flat face. “I hate tea.” He mumbled.
Anne shook her head and smiled. “It’s good for you, Aleccas. See, I’m drinking mine.” She carefully lifted the cup and drank from it before showing him it wasn’t a big deal.

He frowned at his tea and pushed it away, pushing it around on the tabletop.
Anne sighed and cast him a sideways glance. She opened her mouth to say something when she felt something strange. Her throat was tightening. She frowned and idly touched her throat.
Aleccas had finally rolled his eyes and picked up the cup when Anne smacked it away.
Aleccas looked at her, a strange bit of fear and confusion in his eyes as Anne began to clutch her throat. She stumbled backwards, out of her seat and away from the table; her heart was pounding in her chest, skipping every other beat. She crumpled to the floor as her strength gave out.

She could hear her son screaming for her, he kneeled by her head and she could feel her heart as it struggled to continue beating. The pain was unbearable, but not as unbearable as hearing her son as he pleaded for her to get up. She stared at the ceiling of her dining room and she knew then that she was going to die. Her eyes drifted to her son - her baby and she reached up to touch his face. “I love you, Aleccas.” She whispered hoarsely. “I love you and your brother, Sheogorath.”
Tears were falling from his eyes and she wanted to wipe them away but she had no strength.
She just felt tired; so very, very tired. She swallowed, but everything seemed to be moving so slowly for her. She wanted to sleep, the pain was going numb now and she just wanted to sleep. “Tell… your father…” Her lips could barely form the words. “... that I… will always... love him.”

The room was getting darker. Her son’s face was fading away.
She closed her left hand gently and felt the ring on her finger. Her thoughts began slipping from her grasp and all she could see against the blackness was Majnun’s face. She wanted to hang onto it with all she could, but it was too dark, and she couldn't see him anymore.
She, too, disappeared into the abyss.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Come Back
« Reply #1048 on: August 18, 2016, 05:06:56 PM »
Come Back
Majnun had to get home. The sky was slowly turning red. He was seeing red. He couldn’t stop seeing red. There was blood on his hands. His own blood. He clutched his fists too tightly. His nails cut into his palms over and over.

His heart was beating out of his chest. His heart. He needed his heart. He had to get home. He dropped through the last portal, nearly tearing down the central barrier around the house. He threw the door open before he had even made it halfway up the walkway. The sky roared above him as his own emotional torment caused the raw magic to react in the town around him. He was choking on his heartbeat. He needed to see her. He threw himself up the foundation steps and into the front door. He could hear screaming. His son was screaming. Majnun couldn’t think straight.
Her hand. He could see it laying against the floor. Her skin white as porcelain. He fell against the archway to the dining room and his world collapsed.

He couldn’t process it. His Anne. His wife. His life. His heart. His soul. Everything good in this world. She was his everything. She was his. She was on the floor. She was cold. His heart.
His home.
His hand shook. What was he doing? He couldn’t see. He couldn’t feel. Where was his heart? He needed to wipe it away. He needed to think straight. Someone was screaming. He jerked his hand violently to the side and the screaming stopped. He couldn’t bear it. He just couldn’t bear it.

He was on the floor. He was on his knees. He had fallen to his knees but he couldn’t feel anything. His body ached. His heart…
He crawled on his hands and knees. She was the only good thing in this world. She was everything. She was the light. The world could never survive without her. Something was burning his face. Lines were being burned into his face. Droplets that sizzled as they hit the floor. His throat was tightening. She was cold. His heart was cold.

He touched her face. He looked down at the only beautiful thing in the world, and she was gone. His whole body shook. He couldn’t control it. He touched her shoulders suddenly. He would bring her back. He would bring her back. He had to bring her back. She was still there. His heart could never leave him. He couldn’t be without his heart. He touched her shoulders and felt nothing. Not even a stir. Not a whisper. He wanted to scream. He was screaming. Anne. Come back.
His heart. His life. His wife. His soul. He couldn’t be without her.

He was choking. His world was shaking. He was shaking. Glass was shattering. Anne. Come back. This was worse than insanity. This was death. This was dying without closure. Majnun was dying. His insides were crumbling. He was screaming. Where was his heart? He cannot live without his heart. His hands shook violently. His body shook. The house shook. The world shook. People were screaming. He was screaming. Let them burn.

His hands struggled underneath her. Underneath his heart. His heart was cold. He was cold and he needed to feel her again. He needed her touch. He clutched her to his chest. He clutched her to him so that he might stop shaking. He would force his heart back into his chest. He wouldn’t lose her. He could feel it then. The Essence came to claim her.

He wouldn’t let it. He couldn’t let it take her. He was screaming. The house was crumbling. His face was in her chest, but it was disappearing. She was slipping from his grasp. His heart. His Anne. Come back. His iron grasp was faltering, and she was turning to dust. Desperation filled him. His Anne. His wife. Her laughter. Her smile. Her eyes. Her voice. His gentle Anne. His heart. His heart had turned to dust in his hands. All he could do was watch. The top floor buckled on the house. He stared at the floor. He couldn’t blink. He couldn’t. His heart. He ached. The pain was unbearable. There was nothing left. She dissolved to nothing and he was broken.

The world was on fire. His heart was dead.
His angel. His sanity. His light. His clarity.
Anne.
The house crumpled on top of him and he welcomed it.

He couldn’t be. He just couldn’t be without her. He couldn’t be heartless. He screamed as the house crushed him. He didn’t feel it. He couldn’t feel anything. His heart was dead. Anne was dead. His scream would be the last thing anyone would hear.
He was broken. He could never be whole again.

Anne.

His wife.

Anne.

His light.

Anne.

His laughter.

Anne.

His joy.

Anne.

His hope.

Anne.

His sanity.

Anne.

Come back.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Into the Abyss, Come Back
« Reply #1049 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »
I cried looking at the screenshots of Majunun remembering Anne at the end of the second chapter.
Farewell, Anne. Alas, poor Majnun.

anything