Author Topic: Sims 4 - What can I delete in the Saves folder?  (Read 32578 times)

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
Sims 4 - What can I delete in the Saves folder?
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
I'm going to try, again, to get into TS4 and I want to get rid of all the bits and pieces of games that I've started and abandoned.

This is what I see when I open my saves folder.

scratch
SerialGUID

Then a lot of folders that say Slot with a lot of zeros....like this.

Slot_0000000.1save

Are the folders with slot the ones I delete?

*Solution*
If you just want to completely start fresh without having to do a factory reset, but want to keep your Tray folder (Sims/Lots) just delete your Saves folder and recreate a new one. - Or - Just delete everything inside the Saves folder.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: What can I delete in the Saves folder?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:23:57 PM »
You can go in game and delete them, but yes, all the files with Slot and save, plus all the ones that have ver0 or ver1 after them as well.  I'm not sure what the other files are, so wouldn't delete those.  You could also do a factory reset as well.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
Okay, thanks. I thought they were but I wanted to check.  I haven't played TS4 enough to know my way around the files yet.

I didn't want to get rid of the old games through the game screen. I wanted to actually delete the files.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »
Makes sense.  Yeah, those are the files to delete.  I think there's a sticky somewhere that walks ya through it all, but I'm at work so can't link at the moment.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by asking what can you delete? Are you trying to delete some of your previously saved games that you no longer play?

It may be best to do this with a copy of the saves folder, not the original one. That way if something happens, you can get your files back.

1. Sort by Date Modified.
2. Assuming you've used Save As instead of save. -- If you have not played these saves in a long time, you can most likely delete anything before the date of say Feb.28th or the last time you played the game.

If you're trying to do a little spring cleaning and just want to get rid of the backup files the game makes. You can then delete the files that have .ver0, .ver1 - as these are backup files. Be careful not to delete the .save files as these are your main saves. See example below.

For example:
Slot_00000002.save (Main Save)
Slot_00000002.save.ver0 (Backup 0)
Slot_00000002.save.ver1 (Backup 1)

Slot_00000001.save is the auto save. If you've used Save As to save your game and given it a new name. You can then delete the auto save file.

The game does not use the auto save file any longer - Slot_00000001.save . It is safe to delete this file and it's backups. - .ver1, .ver2, etc.

Here's a link that may be of help to.

Restoring a Saved Game
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21519.0.html
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
Thanks MrsFlynn  but I don't want any saved games.  I want to keep what is in my library but I want to get rid of any game I've ever played and start over.  I don't want to do a factory reset because of keeping library content.  You see at this point I have no saves that I'm invested in.  TS4 just hasn't drawn me in yet and I keep starting games only to get bored or run into a bug. 

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
You could do a factory reset and just keep the tray folder from your original Sims 4 folder.  Might be easier.  Just a suggestion though ^^  The tray folder is where all your library items are stored.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
You could do a factory reset and just keep the tray folder from your original Sims 4 folder.  Might be easier.  Just a suggestion though ^^  The tray folder is where all your library items are stored.

Isn't it just as easy to delete all the slot titled items from the saves?

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 01:46:10 PM »
I suppose it is lol, just giving you another option.  I find it easier to take the old Sims 4 folder, put it to the desktop, open the game (which will make a new, pristine Sims 4 folder), then close it.  You can take the tray folder from your old Sims 4 folder and drop it into the new one.  So it's like a brand new game, but with your own library items in there. 

Heh, I have a quirk when it comes to starting over, so this is probably just me being odd.  But thought I'd mention it just in case ^^

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »
If you just want to completely start fresh without having to do a factory reset, but want to keep your Tray folder (Sims/Lots) just delete your Saves folder and recreate a new one. - Or - Just delete everything inside the Saves folder.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: What can I delete?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:54:28 PM »
Yes, you can just delete the full contents of the saves folder and start a new game that way. Just tested that and it seems to work fine. :)

anything