Author Topic: Three Times a Lady: A Rival Dynasties Challenge Story  (Read 45839 times)

Offline rika1431

• Townie
Re: Three Times a Lady: A Rival Dynasties Challenge Story
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
-dances around with joy- I loved this update! I feel like with each week/family update, I 'officially' decide to pick a side, and then the next one comes and I 'switch' sides all over again! You're just so good at making each family relatable. I also really love the museum you made, it's gorgeous! I wish I could build half as well as you do. Eeee, can't wait for more!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
"She yawned and stretched after the fight to show how bored she was."  Brilliant!  I am so enjoying the narrative style you have with these three lovely ladies!  Little comments like, "the historic hip bump" just create such wonderfully priceless moments!
All of that said, while I'm sad that it isn't always Mary's week, I always enjoy the updates  ;=)
Go Team Mary!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
-dances around with joy- I loved this update! I feel like with each week/family update, I 'officially' decide to pick a side, and then the next one comes and I 'switch' sides all over again! You're just so good at making each family relatable. I also really love the museum you made, it's gorgeous! I wish I could build half as well as you do. Eeee, can't wait for more!

I was going to write out my own comment, but this is everything I would say right here.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
@oshizu Astronaut is a toughie, indeed, but I think the biggest challenge is lack of work days! The well did seem to be sweet on Eve, though. Not a single bad outcome!
I added "spa activities" as a club activity when I removed "play chess." I don't want Eve maxing logic accidentally. But that's when the massage table trouble started. Oh, Rhonda! What are we going to do with you?

@rika1431 Thank you so much! What a sweet comment! I was really just messing around with the museum, but I like how it came out. I usually build from floor plans, but it's hard to find references for "alien museum." :)

@PeregrineTook You are truly the most tenacious and also the most loyal simmer! I'm so glad you are reading and enjoying, even if it can't always be Mary's week. :)

@commasplice Thank you so much! I will very happily read that comment over again on your behalf. I very much appreciate your support and readership!

Moneypenny, Week 3, Part 3

And now the thrilling conclusion:

“Well, Mum . . . ?”

“No, darling. You shan’t be moving out just yet. Your mother continues to squander your potential and hold you back.”

I think he did that just to spite me.

At any rate, here is his completed collection of geodes, plus one to make seven for a full museum donation. And the two portraits. I’ve heard there’s a demand for signed copies, and believe me we’ve got extras, so look for yours in the post this week.

We killed some time waiting for the well cooldown to expire by paying our respects to the giant moose-beaver in Granite Falls.

Cory and I relaxed by the fire with the tranquility of two people who know they are about to be rendered useless. You can see they’ve finally updated his work uniform. I’m not sure if that’s paint or the blood of his vanquished enemies on his shirt. He doesn’t really like to talk about work.

Jillian’s a shark at horseshoes. Who’d have thought?

At 9:45 p.m. the wishing well crushed my spirit and all my baby son’s hopes by offering me a $230 bonus in exchange for my $5000 donation.

Naturally, I handled the disappointment with grace and maturity.

We might’ve just squeaked in another wishing session before the big switcheroo, but I didn’t want to risk running over our time, so Felix banged out a few sculptures for his nest egg and Corey and I took a consolation ride in the rocket ship and we called it a night.

I feel your pain, Mary, at a close-but-no-cigar ending to the week. It’s particularly painful to know that Felix is completely done with his goals and is only waiting on his slacker mother to get on with things so he can move out. Ah, well. He’ll get a nice crop of camping mascots to take with him when he leaves us on Sunday or Monday at the latest. Tell your girls to be on their toes this week. Though we didn’t get Felix quite moved out I think you’ll agree we’ve got just the tiniest bit of a lead in this competition, and we intend to hang onto it.

Cheers,

Eve

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »
Psh, Mary did close-but-no-cigar so much better  ;=)
I loved the "handled it with grace and maturity" moment when the well simply failed to cooperate.  Your well is such a wild card!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
The first generation is really tough since there's nobody around to mentor!
But your ladies are all doing great, especially Eve of course!
So smart of Felix to work ahead on funding his future household! Congrats on completing the geodes collection. That certainly happened quickly!
Loved the random arrangement of geodes on the museum display stand.

Why is Rhonda such a pain in the plumbob? Is she a club member or something? Lol.
Awwww, we are leaving the Moneypenny household already? :(

Offline rika1431

• Townie
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2018, 05:12:36 PM »
Another fantastic update! I love Eve so much. Completing the career without the benefit of being able to pre-skill your work related skill requirements as a teen is really hard, especially with astronaut's work days. I just loved the 'handled with grace' rage walk after the well disappointed her, that was hilarious!

Also, thank you for mentioning Felix banging out some statue's as a way to get a head start on his funds when he moves out! I never would have thought to do that, it's such a handy tip!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »
Oh wow!  I caught up!  I've started to read this about four times now, but something always interrupted me!  It was no hardship to start over, though.  I have enjoyed it all so very much.  While I love all of your lovely ladies, I have to say that I am #TeamPonsonby!  I really can't decide on the other two, honestly XD Though Felix is... wow... --wipes the drool off--  You have another avid reader ^^ And I love that you used the spooky starter!  I had great fun building that one, though keeping it under starting price was sooo hard XD

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »
"Cory and I relaxed by the fire with the tranquility of two people who know they are about to be rendered useless. You can see they’ve finally updated his work uniform. I’m not sure if that’s paint or the blood of his vanquished enemies on his shirt. He doesn’t really like to talk about work."

Bwahahaha!

Another great update.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
@PeregrineTook You crack me up. Yes, the well is a wildcard indeed, but when it works it works so well! I can't stay away!

@oshizu Well, the geodes collection is a snap to complete. Provided you have a wormhole generator, of course. :) But that's why I picked it for Felix's museum collection. Let the later generations worry about difficult things like UFO plants and aliens in jars! I actually took some time arranging the geodes on that shelf, so I'm quite pleased you noticed.
Rhonda is certainly a character. I'm growing fond of her in spite of myself. She's always doing something photo-worthy!

@rika1431 Thank you! Yes, heirs can take anything they've crafted themselves with them, so a handy teen is a rich teen. Go Felix!

@Shewolf13 Glad you've caught up! And I'm so glad we've got a new member for Team Ponsonby. Eve and Mary have some very enthusiastic cheerleaders, so it's about time Loelia got some attention. :)
Loved your spooky starter, too! It had just the right amount of drama and I had a lot of fun expanding it and trying to make the additions work with the base. I love how it turned out and I'll almost be sorry to move.

@commasplice Thanks so much! Corey and his mysterious "painter" career will never cease to fascinate me.

Ponsonby, Week 4, Part 1

My Dear Ladies,

Permit me a moment of sentimentality, as I believe this is the last letter I shall be writing to you. It’s been an absolutely amazing experience, and I wouldn’t have wanted to share it with any two other people. I’ve got a marvelous life, a darling husband, and two precious daughters, not to mention a five-star rated restaurant that serves tea steeped precisely to perfection. I must insist that you all join me regularly down at the G&K so that we can reminisce about the old days and gossip about our descendants, but for now, I must describe to you the last heady days of my tenure as Dynasty Founder before passing the reins to my eldest.

Honey brought in the week with a bang. A quick perusal of the drink-making guide revealed that the most highly valued drink she could make without death flowers was the Amygdelight, which required her to be focused, so we moved the bar out into the backyard and she set to work.

She did take a few unscheduled breaks. She is a teenager, after all, and very curious about the effects of juice. I elected to look the other way.

Waylon Vo and Darling Walsh came round to cement her good friendships. Also someone named Aditya Banerjee. She's quite popular. It's difficult to keep track.

And Advik, bless him, produced a masterpiece portrait in record time.

Here’s the museum display. There’s seven drinks, though they’re not all visible. We had to enclose the entire thing in glass to keep it safe, and even then one or the other of us is always wandering round to the back of the building, attempting to “clean up” the results of Honey’s hard work. Thus far, we’ve not been successful, and the value of her museum contribution (including the portrait) stands at $8,621. My own portrait comes in at only $1,325, but I’m quite sentimentally attached to it, so it hangs in museum as well.

From there we proceeded to tie up loose ends on Honey’s aspiration. Her licensing income rolled in Sunday morning, bumping her up to the final tier of Musical Genius, and as you can see, I got the short straw and had to take up the pink bunny guitar so I could receive some mentoring from my lovely daughter. She’s merciless, but after three hours I could plunk out a reasonably recognizable version of “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” so all in all I’m rather pleased. No doubt I’ll be the star at our next campfire party.

From there she just needed to have played an instrument for a certain number of hours, so she sat down and began leveling piano as she’ll need it for her career. She’s an astonishingly quick study, and had nearly maxed it by the time she was through.

You may not recognize it immediately, but what you see here is a money factory. Advik painted until his fingers went numb, Raj banged out dining table after dining table, and Jessica and I prayed for the dragon fruit to grow. Her wellness is high enough now that she can give me aromatherapy massages, so she’s preparing me here for what we’d hoped would be my final day at work.

Here’s a better shot of the museum. It’s simple, but classic, so I like it. Honey is harvesting exactly sixteen dragonfruit to take with her when she moves across the street.

Tada! Which she was fully prepared to do at 9:24 Monday morning, when she completed her aspiration. (She’d taken a vacation day from school.)

Sadly, Mummy was not quite as prepared. I know I look pleased about the “great work” I was deemed to have done that day, but it wasn’t quite enough for my final promotion, and I was sore indeed! After all I’ve done for Dewey, Cheatum & Howe! The glass ceiling stands firm, though, it seems, unless one finds a way to punch through it.

There being nothing left except a quick renovation of the restaurant to complete, I decided to tempt fate and see if the wishing well would be as kind to me as it had been to Eve. It was not.

I feel bound to say that I think the well itself doesn’t even know what it’s doing at times. My tense moodlet implies that I was given a “chance” at a promotion, which is just patently untrue. I was very nearly demoted!

Honey responded to the bad news by entering a “loud phase.” Ah, well. She’s a talented musician, so at least when she makes noise it’s rather pleasant. Through several thick walls.

She made good use of her unwanted extra time, however, and set out next morning to make some new friends, and hopefully future housemates.

Both music lovers, she and Joaquin le Chien got on famously, and were friends in no time at all.

She was not as successful at her next stop. Here you see her counting cats. We'd anticipated three, but as it happens there are four, all belonging to Miss Caterina Lynx, so with the two gents from the Bro household, and Caterina herself, their addition to the household would leave no room for a baby, so she moved on without even introducing herself. Pity. Cats are such nice company, and whichever of the Bros she doesn’t marry will likely want some female companionship of his own.

After next work day I’d managed to squeak my way back up to “Ok” work performance, but it was painfully obvious that if we wanted Honey to move on any time at all this week I was going to have to face the well again.

Sweet Raj surprised me by installing a brand-new private well just for me in the backyard (the money factory had been busy!). This one seemed to like me better than the other one, and gave me a lovely green glow, which you’ll both know means a guaranteed promotion after next shift, and we were back on track again.

Having nothing else pressing to do, we celebrated by heading out to alien night at the bowling alley. Eve, that sweet young thing in the blue bolero is someone I’ve not seen before, but who might deserve a closer look! She’s a young adult, and single (yes, I asked, and no, Raj was not pleased!), but lists her profession as “bar regular,” so I can’t be positive that she’s an alien, but she did turn up for alien night, so who knows? Maybe you’ll get lucky!

By the way, dear, it’s so lovely to see that you and Corey are still so much in love. You’re just darling together, and so affectionate. I’m quite jealous, as Raj doesn’t really go in for public displays of affection, but he’s very sweet when we’re alone, so I can’t really complain. Much.

I had to giggle, Mary. It seems your brother-in-law has taken up bowling. He does look rather smart in the uniform, but those shoes! And I can’t imagine Jana thinks much of his buxom teammates!

Eve, dearest, a word of advice:  I know you’re not fond of Rhonda, but perhaps you might try and keep your antipathy a bit more under your hat? Stiff upper lip, dear, and all that.

And now for the bad news. We’d held on to Jessica for so long that we’d begun taking her presence for granted, but her time was up late Tuesday night. The worst of it is if I hadn’t gotten greedy and used the wishing well, I’d have probably been promoted Tuesday and Honey would have moved out in time to keep our beloved gardener alive and healthy indefinitely, but it is what it is. She was a great help, and we’ll miss her deeply.

You’ll no doubt think us heartless, but in order to distract ourselves and keep the sad moodlets away we all sat down to a puppet show performed by our little Domino while the reaper performed his grim task. Jessica and Domino were very fond of each other, and Jessica did enjoy the shows greatly, so you might say the performance was in her honor.
Allow me to savor my time in the spotlight for just a few minutes longer, my dears. I'll bring my portion of this tale to its thrilling conclusion next time.

Wistfully,

Loelia

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
As for Felix's marvelous collection, my sincere apologies!
I meant to imply "seemingly random arrangement of geodes" because I perceived that theirs was no haphazard arrangement!
I know the Watcher loves Felix as much as I do!

Oh dear, that near-demotion shot! I'm convinced that the Wishing Well can smell our sims' desperation!
It's like going to an outdoor marketplace to haggle, pretending one's not really interested in the product so the vendor will lower the price to entice one.
Heaven forbid that the vendor gets whiff of one's obsessive desire because then its price skyrockets.

We only got a small glimpse of the Ponsonby Museum but it looks heavenly! A view from the front next time, perhaps?
Congrats to Honey for completing all her requirements and to Loeilia for working so tirelessly on her own.
Can't wait for Honey to move out and to meet her new household!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Awww. RIP Jessica (btw, that's my given name lol so I always have to do a double take when I see it XD).  Honey is just so beautiful ^^ I can't wait to see which of the Bros she ends up with.  Ugh, the wishing well... it is both a boon and a curse.  During my Ten Gen attempt, poor Ulrike used it and got the dreaded downward trend dialogue.   Her next shift, she got fired because something made her come home early (never did figure out what actually caused it)...  But she did get 2 or 3 promotions out of it, so it seems worth it for the most part XD

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see what you did with the spooky starter.  I don't often get to see the way a build of mine was transformed ^^ No hurry and if you don't have time, I completely understand.

Offline rika1431

• Townie
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2018, 05:19:31 PM »
Oh dear, that dang well almost demoting Loelia! At least it didn't fire her. That happened to me once--I was just glad to find out you can rejoin your career at almost the same level! But thank goodness she was able to wish her way back up to a next shift promotion! And what we've seen of that museum is gorgeous! I don't suppose I can persuade you into building museums for me?  ;D Your styles are just so pretty! Honey's doing great! I can't believe how quickly your teens moved through their requirements, it's really impressive!

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2018, 09:39:52 AM »
This is just such a fun story.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
Awww, poor Jessica!  She was the unsung hero of this household!  Interesting usage of the puppet show.  I usually send my Tooks fishing to avoid the sad moodlet, but a puppet show...there's just something delightful about that.
I'm looking forward to seeing which Bro Honey chooses and how things go with her new household.
I notice the song that was learned was "Mary Had a Little Lamb."  Go Team Mary!   ;=)