Author Topic: To Prevent a War- A One to Rule Them All Challenge Behind-the-scenes 9/4/18  (Read 78039 times)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.2 New 4/23/18
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 03:47:45 AM »
Adisa, took you long enough to decide to just win Blakely's heart if you want a real marriage.
I thought it was very crafty of her to befriend his dog first, though.

I love Meredith's character and the role you're having her play in Blakely's life and storyline.
Blakely is smoking gorgeous in that shot where he confronts the lowlife who stabbed Maxim. *fans self

Why was Blakely smiling and humming as he headed upstairs after Adisa? Is someone going to get lucky? lol

@oshizu

Hehehe, yeah.  Neither of them really like being forced into anything.  Even though the attraction is there.  Hehehe, of course!  Gotta have the approval of the pooch, after all ^^ Meredith is a great character.  And her and Blakely are very close.  Yes, yes he is.  I already told you, I have that saved as my desktop background lol.  And he's more just happy that there might be a chance that things will work out, despite the circumstances hehe.

This is so wonderful! I don't know where to begin. The tension waiting for the initial meeting of Blakely and Adisa! The fact that she befriended his dog before she did him! The will-they, won't-they situation of living together, facing an arranged marriage. And then the heart-melting story of Blakely and his friend. Who wouldn't fall for that guy?
Oh, man. Things are looking good for Team Blakely! I love this couple, and it was definitely worth the wait to see them finally get together. Such a satisfying kiss! *sigh*
Plus, the serious amounts of smolder going on in that shot of Blakely doing the interrogation. Phew! Yup. Team Blakely, all the way! Bravo!
p.s. Oh no, they did NOT go after Maxim! You do not mess with the dog! Whoever these people are, they are in for a world of pain! *shakes fist*

@FrancescaFiori

^^ Glad you liked it!  I know, right?  I love Blakely a lot ^^  I told oshizu already, but I have that particular screenshot as my background lol! 

Yeah... is it bad that I am ok with people getting hurt, but the minute you go after the dog (or any animal really), I'm ready to take their head off? lol

Building interlude incoming!  Tomorrow, Adrian's second week incoming as well!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.2 New 4/23/18
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 03:54:08 AM »
Building Interlude #2

Here's another building tour!  Well, at least it will highlight some of my favorite parts of the two builds coming up.  The first is Scholarly Sway.  It is the Campbell family home. Never as rich as many of the other noble families, they still take pride in their home.

I rather enjoyed building this one.  It was based on a plan, loosely anyway.  I was rather proud of the outside, the curb appeal.

ScholarlySway01.jpg

Here's the top down views of the first and second floors.

ScholarlySway04.jpg

ScholarlySway05.jpg

I wanted something a bit different, so the middle of the second floor is entirely open.  And I used a bit of a hexogon shape.

ScholarlySway03.jpg

I really like how the kitchen turned out, even though I wasn't sure at first at how long and thin it ended up being.  But playing in it has been fine.

ScholarlySway07.jpg

The little nook ended up working nicely, I think.

ScholarlySway08.jpg

The heart of the home, the place that Beatrice (and many generations before her) spent their time in, was the study/library.  Beatrice spends a lot of time there now as well.  And Mira keeps her company.

ScholarlySway13.jpg

ScholarlySway14.jpg

That's it for the more important parts of Scholarly Sway.  Here are the pertinent links if you wanna check out more photos or download it.

Gallery Link: Scholarly Sway
Full Picture Link: Picture Gallery
Hashtags: #Wolfie #carlsguide #RKC #nobles

Adrian visited the Oak Barrell Tavern in Newcrest.  It was a place to escape.  It was also one of my first community lot builds for the RKC.  To be honest, for the most part, I'm not overly fond of building community venues hehehe, but I decided to try my hand at a few for this.

I found a reference online and used it for the outside, then just did the inside myself.

The Oak Barrell Tavern01.jpg

It's set up as a bar, but it could easily be remodeled a little bit and turned into a full restaurant.

The Oak Barrell Tavern02.jpg

The Oak Barrell Tavern03.jpg

The barroom is pretty simple, but that was the point in some ways.  Wanted it to be easy to move in.  And wanted it to seem a little rustic, since Newcrest is more medieval than the other kingdoms yet.

The Oak Barrell Tavern04.jpg

The kitchen is for the owner/staff.  Could easily have a chef's station put in there, put a window in there as well.

The Oak Barrell Tavern05.jpg

There are bedrooms uptairs.  If it were turned into a restaurant, it could be reconfigured into an owner's suite.

The Oak Barrell Tavern09.jpg

That concludes the tour for the Oak Barrell Tavern!

Gallery Link: The Oak Barrell Tavern
Full Picture Link: Picture Gallery
Hashtags: #Wolfie #carlsguide #RKC #bar #tavern

Stay tuned.  Up next will be Adrian's second week.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC Building Interlude #2 New 4/27/18
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »
Thank you for the build tour!
I started it last night but then I had to go to your blog to "look something up," and ended up staying there longer than I'd expected, hehe.
The large rooms on the ground floor are so nice.
I was surprised by the kitchen in your overhead shot but love the way the counter bar and nook+bay window area turned out.
The kitchen's opposite side could be home to another pet, lol. The enlarged window in the study is a lovely touch.

Wow, I really really love the Oak Barrel Tavern. It somehow reminds me of the tavern in The Sims Medieval. :D
I went to the Gallery website just now to check the lot size and see that it's 30x20!
Congrats though on 100+ downloads of your Rosa Manor!

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
I love these builds.  I wish I could cozy up by the fire in the Campbell's library.  And I think you did a great job on the tavern.  It looks both charming and functional.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2018, 11:24:46 PM »
Thank you for the build tour!
I started it last night but then I had to go to your blog to "look something up," and ended up staying there longer than I'd expected, hehe.
The large rooms on the ground floor are so nice.
I was surprised by the kitchen in your overhead shot but love the way the counter bar and nook+bay window area turned out.
The kitchen's opposite side could be home to another pet, lol. The enlarged window in the study is a lovely touch.

Wow, I really really love the Oak Barrel Tavern. It somehow reminds me of the tavern in The Sims Medieval. :D
I went to the Gallery website just now to check the lot size and see that it's 30x20!
Congrats though on 100+ downloads of your Rosa Manor!

@oshizu

You are quite welcome ^^  Hehehehe yeah, easy to get lost on the blog.  I do keep track of a lot XD  Yeah, at first, I wasn't sold on the layout, but as I completed it, it worked really well.  A lot better than I thought it would.  Yeah, I had fun with the Oak Barrell hehehe.  I wanted it to look Medieval.  It's been ages since I played Sims Medieval.  sadly, I no longer have my copy, otherwise I might have gone back for inspiration.

I love these builds.  I wish I could cozy up by the fire in the Campbell's library.  And I think you did a great job on the tavern.  It looks both charming and functional.

@BallerinaHippo

Thanks so much ^^ That's the idea with the library hehehe.  Only thing with building in the Sims... I get jealous of some of the stuff I build XD One day, far in the future, I want a library like that.  Yeah, wanted the tavern to work well, be rustic.  Glad it comes off that way ^^

Update incoming!

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »
2.3: The New Lord Rosa

"Happy birthday, my son."  Lady Ferina kissed her son's cheek.  It seemed impossible that he was becoming a young man.  In fact, after that day, he would officially be Lord Rosa, head of the Rosa family.

"Thank you, mother."  Adrian hugged his mother tightly.  With people surrounding him, he stepped up to the counter and leaned down to blow out his candles.

2.3 #1.jpg

Once the candles were blown out, the guests cheered.  Lord Donovan clapped him on the back.  "Happy Birthday, lad!"

"Thank you, sir."

Lady Ayla, his friend Antonio, all the people congratulated him. It was a bit of a blur.  Then he heard a familiar voice behind.  He turned, smiling.  "Lady Marisa."

"Lord Adrian."  They grinned at one another.

2.3 #2.jpg

Marisa leaned close to him.  "Perhaps once the rest of your guests leave, you can take me to that place you promised?"

He eyed her sideways.  "You want to go to the Tavern?"

"I'd like that, a lot."

"It's not exactly high-brow."

She cocked a brow at him.  "Adrian, are you trying to talk me out of it?"

"No, no, not at all.  Just- surprising, that's all."

"Shouldn't be.  I like people, same as you."

Adrian grinned.  "Alright.  It's a date then."

The party eventually wound down.  The guests begged off, said good night.  Adrian waited until his mother retired before he slipped out of the house.  He may have officially become Lord Rosa, but he still didn't relish provoking his mother's wrath.

He wandered down the street, breathing in the night air.  He was older, though he wasn't sure he felt any different.  Still, he was looking forward to going to the Tavern, especially with Marisa.  She may be of noble blood, but it was easy to see that she was very like him.

She was already waiting for him.  He took her hand and kissed it.  Still holding hands, he led her into the tavern.  They sat down at the table in the corner, everyone calling out to Adrian.  He introduced Marisa to the men and women he felt closer to than most anyone else.

2.3 #3.jpg

"This is wonderful."

Adrian nodded.  "It's a good place.  No one here really cares where you come from.  I come here to- escape, I think.  Good place for it."
"
"It makes sense and it seems that way."  She grimaced.  "There isn't many places to escape in Windenburg, not like this.  Then again, I suppose here in Newcrest, there aren't as many- games." A far-away look came into her eyes.  "I was a child when the war first started.  Kellen should have been king without question.  But- there were those among the noble families that wanted more.  And so, our lands were thrown into chaos for years."

He reached a hand over to enfold hers.  "I'm sorry.  I-I never really thought much of it, I suppose.  There's always a bit of squabbling, but no, here, power struggles have been avoided.  The Bulwarks have ruled for centuries.  And even now- the King has come up with a solution to avoid any kind of power struggle."  He laughed, the sound a little bitter.  "I don't know what kind of King I'd make, or even if I really want it."

"For what it's worth, I think you have what it takes to make a great King."  She smiled.  "And truth be told, I think anyone who wants to be King is either crazy or not fit to be King."

Adrian laughed and raised the glass in a salute to her.  "Hear hear!"

The two enjoyed their evening.  Before it ended, Marisa leaned over and murmured, "Why don't you join me tomorrow?  There's a wonderful restaurant in Winding Willows.  Since the Elves have been a bit more open, I've found I really enjoy the food there."

"I'd be delighted to join you.  Until tomorrow then, M'lady."  He kissed her hand and the two parted.

Adrian looked around him.  Winding Willow had been called a magical, mysterious place.  It was certainly that.  The ride over had been pretty spectacular.  Marisa was once again waiting for him.  He smiled at her.  "You look beautiful."

2.3 #4.jpg

She kissed him cheek.  "Thank you."  She led him up the several sets up steps to the restaurant proper.  Like many things in Winding Willows, the restaurant was situated among the trees.  The two of them were quickly seated.

2.3 #5.jpg

Adrian gave their order to the waitress and sat back to enjoy the meal with his companion.  Things were going well, the two were enjoying their time together.  Adrian found it easy to talk to Marisa.  Even when they weren't talking, there was an easy quality to the silence.  But as more people began to fill up the tables around them, Marisa stiffened. Her smile disappeared.

2.3 #6.jpg

"Marisa?  What's wrong?"  Adrian reached across to take her hand.

For a moment, she didn't answer, her gaze pulled toward the other side of the room.  She leaned close, her voice low.  "I-I'm sorry.  The man other there?"

Adrian flicked his gaze in that direction.  "Who is it?  I feel I've seen him somewhere before."

"You most likely have.  Lord Ezekiel Villareal.  He's-"  A shiver ran down her spine.  "My brother and sister-in-law believe that he is one of those behind the coup attempt.  But it couldn't be proven.  He makes my skin crawl." 

2.3 #7.jpg

There was something more.  He gave her hand a squeeze.  She looked at him.  "When I was a teenager, I was at a ball at the Villareal estate. He- approached me.  It's well known he- he isn't faithful to his wife.  He doesn't much care, either.  He made it clear he would be more than happy to- educate me."

Adrian's hand caressed hers gently, even as something alien welled up within.  He wasn't a stranger to anger, but this was something new.  A rage, a rage at someone he knew nothing about for putting such a look on the face of a woman that Adrian very much suspected he loved.  "Marisa, look at me."  He waited until she slowly turned her gaze to meet his.  He brought her hand up so he could kiss her knuckles.  "I promise you, I will protect you.  No one will harm you."  His eyes had gone hard. 

"Adrian, I-"

2.3 #8.jpg

He shook his head.  "Marisa, I mean what I say.  If nothing else, my name has weight.  And while the Rosa's are more known for their tact, I assure you, I am not a dandy.  I'll use whatever I have to."  There was a part of him that wanted to get up from the table and go to Lord Villareal and challenge him then and there.  The only thing that stopped him was the one bit of sense he seemed to still possess.  "I will protect you, Marisa.  No one will make you feel like that again, not as long as I draw breath."

2.3 #9.jpg

Marisa swallowed and her thumb rubbed over the back of his hand.  "Thank you."

He smiled at her, needing to see her return the smile, to banish the darkness in her eyes.  It worked.  Her smile might not have been as bright as he would have liked, but it was a start.  Their food arrived.  And things were much lighter, though Adrian kept one eye on the couple across the room.

As Lord Villareal and his wife got up to leave, Adrian blew Marisa a kiss, wanting to distract her.

2.3 #10.jpg

The rest of the meal passed in much more merry conversation.  After they were both full, Adrian paid the check and the two stood up.  He held her hand all the way down to the street.  Both of their cars awaited.  He kissed her hand.  "Marisa?  I meant what I said in there.  Will you meet me at the Bath House in Newcrest tomorrow evening?"

"Of course."  She threw her arms around him and then they parted ways.

Adrian walked up the steps of the Lighthouse.  After knocking, the door was opened by Lord Donovan himself.  He wore a large grin.  "Lord Adrian!"  The two shook hands as Donovan showed him into the living room.

They settled onto the sofa.  "I thought I'd be seeing you before too long."

Adrian grinned.  "Aye.  Well, here I am.  Now, I know you and mother talked of this.  But I wanted to come to you myself.  I plan on asking your sister to marry me.  I was going to come to ask your blessing, but decided it wasn't necessary."

2.3 #11.jpg

Lord Donovan's brow furrowed.  "No?"

Adrian shook his head.  "No.  Because the only one who's blessing I need is Marisa's."

At that, Donovan let out a booming laugh.  "Good man.  So why are you here then?"

"To let you know and to assure you that I plan on taking care of Marisa for the rest of my life.  I have come to know her and to love her in the little time we've had together."

Lord Donovan smiled, then let out a sigh.  "I am glad to hear that.  Truly.  Though my sister has a mind of her own, there's a part of me, as her brother, that wants to see her taken care of.  Of course, she's well capable of taking care of herself.  Still."

Adrian nodded.  "Regardless of what happens with the throne in Newcrest, I will see to it that she is protected and will want for nothing."

The two men shook hands.  "Thank you.  Brother."

Adrian had no idea why he was so bloody nervous.  He stood outside of the Bath House, awaiting Marisa's arrival.  The Bath House was where many of the treasures of Newcrest were kept.  King Darian's father had had it built to house those treasures.  It had become a gathering place as well and was lushly decorated.

He had chosen this spot for its symoblism.  But was it right?  He ran a hand through his hair.  Even as he fretted, the car pulled up and Marisa stepped out.  Adrian had to pull in a breath even as he smiled and extended his hand to her.  "M'lady."

She kissed his cheek.  "M'lord."

His nerves still jangling, he took her hand and led her into the musuem, down the steps to the pool that gave the place its name.

2.3 #12.jpg

They stood by it for a moment, neither saying a word.  Adrian brought a hand up to her face and brushed the backs of his fingers over her cheek. 

2.3 #13.jpg

"Marisa Xavier," he murmured.  "Since the day we met, there's been something here-"  He brought his other hand to his heart.  "I can't get you out of my mind, or my heart.  I find I don't want to."  A calm descending over him, he dropped to one knee.  He pulled the ring he had in his pocket.

2.3 #14.jpg

Marisa let out a little gasp, her eyes wide.  "Lady Marisa Xavier, will you do me the honor of marrying me and becoming my wife?"

With shaking hands, she took the ring, her eyes meeting his.  She slipped it on her finger as she let out a breathless, "Yes.  Yes I will."

Adrian let out an ungentlemanly whoop and the two pressed their lips together gently.  Then with a cry, Marisa leapt into his arms.  He looked at her, a big grin on his face.

2.3 #15.jpg

She looked back into his eyes.  "Lord Rosa."

"Lady Rosa," he murmured back.  "I believe we have a wedding to plan."

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.3 Up! New 4/27/18
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »
Nooooo, they can't get married before Blakely and Maxim marry the witch lady!!!
Marisa is very beautiful and strong yet feminine--Adrian never had a chance!

I was fascinated by the appearance of the Villareal sim--his facial features faintly resemble the modern-day Villreals, glimpses of Jacques, Max, Hugo...
Is he actually a new CAS sim or is he partially related?

Adored Marisa in that white gown! And I loved the Winding Willow restaurant too.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
Nooooo, they can't get married before Blakely and Maxim marry the witch lady!!!
Marisa is very beautiful and strong yet feminine--Adrian never had a chance!

I was fascinated by the appearance of the Villareal sim--his facial features faintly resemble the modern-day Villreals, glimpses of Jacques, Max, Hugo...
Is he actually a new CAS sim or is he partially related?

Adored Marisa in that white gown! And I loved the Winding Willow restaurant too.

@oshizu

Bahahahaha, sorry, hun.  They've beat Blakely to the marriage punch.  And something else as well as you will see in the upcoming update.  And no, Adrian never had a chance.  He fell hook, line, and sinker for Marisa.  They are too cute, in game, btw.

And you are observant as ever!  When I decided to keep the Villareal family around, what I did was take the original family, deleted the kids, then made Jacques's parents, and then his grandparents.  I got rid of Jacques and his parents and that's how I got Ezekiel and Camille.  Then made Nina as a servant and used the genetics to get Gunner and his half siblings.

So, next Adrian update coming!  Hope you guys like... little nervous about this one XD

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2018, 12:30:33 AM »
2.4: Lady and Lord Rosa

"Sire- sir.  Thank you for coming."

King Darian Bulwark smiled at Adrian.  "I wouldn't miss it, lad.  I'm sorry, Lord Rosa.  You're a lad no longer.  And before today ends, you will be a husband."

Adrian laughed.  "Aye."  He ran a hand through his hair.  "Hard to believe."

King Darian clapped him on the shoulder.  "Not so much.  You and the Lady Marisa make a fine pair.  And I can see the way you look when someone mentions her name."

2.4 #1.jpg

Lady Ferina poked her head into the study.  "Sire?  Adrian?  It's time!"

"Of course, mother.  Thank you."

Darian laughed at the panic that flashed over the young man's face.  "Don't worry, lad.  Once the- frippery is over, then it will be just you and her.  Hang in there."  Darian left to go join the other guests.

Adrian pulled in a breath.  The King was right.  Once the ceremony was over, Marisa would be his wife and then their life together could begin.  He just had to survive the ceremony...

Much of it was a blur; the congratulations, the people gathered.  It wasn't until he stood beneath the arch, Marisa in front of him that it all came together.

2.4 #2.jpg

As the music began to play, Marisa leaned close, "Are you ready?"

"More than ready," he replied.  "Are you ready to become Lady Rosa?"

"More than you know."

2.4 #3.jpg

"Lady Marisa Xavier.  I swear to you that I will love you, honor you, protect you all of our days together.  I promise to wake up beside you every morning, to laugh with you, to cry with you, to walk beside you."  He slid the ring on her finger, his gaze never leaving hers.

"Lord Adrian Rosa."  Marisa slid the ring on his finger. 

2.4 #4.jpg

"I promise you that I will love you, honor you, stand by your side no matter what life throws at us. I will be there to tend to when you are ill, when you healthy, and everything in between.  I will stand by your side for the rest of my life."

There was cheers and applause from their gathered guests as the two embraced and shared a seering kiss.

2.4 #5.jpg

As the confetti rained down around them, they lingered with one another, waiting to prolong that moment where it was still just the two of them in their own little world.  "I love you, Marisa," Adrian murmured.

"I love you, too, Adrian."

2.4 #6.jpg

The spell was broken.  But the festivities were only beginning.  Their guests milled around, congratulating the couple, a few of them (mostly Antonio and Donovan) making a couple not so thinly-veiled inneundos regarding their wedding night. Antonio got a not-so-gently punch to the arm and Adrian grimaced at Donovan, then had to laugh.  He supposed it was a mark of the man's respect for him that he could joke about his sister's wedding night.  Marisa had just rolled her eyes, then arched a brow and asked a pointed question that had Donovan flushing scarlett before he roared with laughter.

"This is why I never could come out ahead in an argument," he commented ruefully.

"I'll keep that in mind," Adrian told him.

He and Marisa mingled for a moment, then it was time for the cake.

A bit of deviltry entered his eyes as he contemplated the piece of cake.  Marisa's eyes narrowed.  "Unless you want to spend our wedding night in traction," she warned, "I would think very carefully about what you are about to do."

There was a perverse part of Adrian that wanted to test that.  But after careful thought, he decided to go with the smarter choice.  He had to hold in the chuckle as he and Marisa fed each other a bite of the cake. 

2.4 #7.jpg

"I have an idea for this cake, for later, since I was good boy," he murmured to her.

She almost choked on her piece.  Her eyes sparkled.  "Hm, I can get behind that.  I'll squirrel a piece or two away for us." 

Enjoying their little joke, they once again separated.

Adrian was taking a breather when his mother approached.  "Congratulations, my boy."

"Thank you, mother."  Adrian opened his arms and his mother gripped him in a tight embrace.

2.4 #8.jpg

"I'm so proud of you."  She put him at arm's length.  "Not just for marrying well.  It's a nice bonus, but what I am most thankful for is that you are happy.  That's all I want for you.  And she makes you happy.  That's all a mother can ask for in their children's partner."

"She does make me happy, mother.  And she'll make a terrific Lady Rosa."

"Yes, yes she will."  Something passed over her face.  "Adrian?  There's something I need to talk to you about.  Not now, not now."  She waved his concern away.  "Don't look so worried.  It's just something I need to tell you.  Go on, enjoy yourself.  It's your wedding, after all."  She hugged him again.  He watched her go, his brow furrowed.  Shaking it off, he went to go see to the guests.

The day wound down.  The guests slowly began to disperse.  On his way out, the King congratulated both of them, kissing Marisa on the cheek and welcomed her to Newcrest.

As Marisa stood in the kitchen, taking her own breather, Ferina came in.  "Oh my dear, don't worry about that.  Daichi will take care of the mess."

Marisa smiled sheepishly.  "Can't help myself."  She let out a little sigh.  "Thank you, Lady Ferina."

Ferina waved that off.  "Please, call me Ferina.  You're my daughter now."

2.4 #9.jpg

"As you wish, Ferina."

The older woman smiled.  "Thank you, dear.  I do believe Adrian is looking for you.  You both should retire."  Her eyes sparkled. 

Marisa laughed.  "Hm, perhaps we should.  Good night."

"Good night dear."

Marisa found Adrian in the hallway.  "Ah, there you are."

She was still chuckling.  "I'm fairly certain your mother wants us to uh- get to giving her some grandchildren."

Adrian's eyes widened.  "She-she said that!?"

"Not in so many words.  She said we should retire."  Marisa was giggling.

2.4 #10.jpg

Adrian flushed, red staining his cheeks.  It only made Marisa giggle harder.  "Come on.  Let's go, husband of mine."  Marisa led him upstairs.  She found his embarrassment a bit sweet.  She tugged his hand and they went to their bedroom.  In fact, they went to the master's chambers.  His mother had insisted.  He was lord of the manor now.  The newlyweds disappeared into their room.

"Mother?"

Ferina looked up as Adrian stepped out onto the back deck.  It was fairly late the next morning.  She was pleased to see he was smiling and a light in his eyes.  He looked happy, and what was more, relaxed.  She couldn't remember the last time he had been relaxed, truly relaxed.  Her boy wasn't always the easy sort. 

She patted the seat next to her.  "Come, join me, son.  It's a beautiful day."

Adrian sat down by his mother.  "You wanted to speak to me, mother?"

Ferina arched a brow.  "Now, why are you here, when you should be with your lovely new wife?"  Adrian grimaced, that slight blush creeping up his cheeks at his mother's implications.  Ferina laughed and patted his knee.  "You shouldn't get so embarrassed.  I'm aware what a married couple does.  How do you think you got here?"

Adrian winched.  "Mother..."

She laughed.  It faded.  "Actually, son, that's something I wanted to talk to you about."

2.4 #11.jpg

"What?!" He sputtered, his cheeks heating even more.  "Mother, I just had my wedding night.  Don't you think I'm beyond that talk?"

Ferina blinked, then threw back her head in laughter.  "Oh-oh my boy."  She had to wipe the tears from her eyes.  "It's not that kind of talk."  She blew out a breath.  The mirth was gone.  In it's place was a melancholy of sorts.  "Adrian, I have a confession to make.  One I had every intention of taking to my grave.  But- seeing you with Marisa, I changed my mind.  This is something that you have every right to know."

Adrian said nothing as his mother shifted.  She didn't say anything for a full minute.  Then she pulled a chain out from beneath the bodice of her dress.  A locket hung on it.  Adrian frowned.  He had never seen it before.  She reached behind her and unclipped it.  Then she handed it to him.  "Open it."

Still frowning, he did as she told him.  He recognized a picture of his mother, one he had seen before.  It was her as a young woman, just before she had gotten married to his father.  On the other side was a picture of a man that Adrian didn't recognize.  He looked at the pictures, then up at his mother.

"Adrian, you've never asked about the accident that took your uncle and- and Marcus."

"I- it seemed to upset you so much, I didn't bother."

Ferina nodded.  "Adrian, it wasn't an accident.  My-my brother challenged Marcus to a duel."

"A-a duel?  What?  Why?  Why would he challenge the Prince?"  Adrian's head spun.  What was going on?

2.4 #12.jpg

Ferina had to moisten her lips.  She hadn't spoken of it in too long.  No one alive knew the truth, save for her.  "Because, Marcus and I- we did not wait for our wedding night, Adrian.  My brother found out- he was furious.  It didn't matter to him that we had been betrothed since we were children or that we loved each other.  He only cared about what he thought of as an insult to our family.  He had never really liked Marcus.  If he could have broken the betrothal contract, he would have after my father died." 

She swallowed, waving that away. "Anyway, Marcus accepted.  He- he was often rash.  I suppose we were young enough that it seemed impossible anything bad would actually happen.  And maybe I never believed my brother would go through with it."  Tears swam in her eyes as she remembered that awful day.  "But he did.  Both he and Marcus were fatally wounded.  There- was nothing that could be done."

Adrian took his mother's hand in his and held it gently.  He hated to see her upset.  What must it have been like to lose her brother and her fiance all in one day? And he knew her well enough to know she blamed herself.

There was silence between the two of them for a moment.  Ferina pulled herself together and gave Adrian's hand a squeeze.  "Terrance- he was a good man.  He had been my friend for years. I-"  She stopped.  "Adrian.  I want you to know that I don't tell you this to put pressure on you.  As I said, I planned on taking it to my grave.  But you have the right to know.  What you do with this is up to you."  She picked up her locket and starred down at it before looking him in the eye.  "Adrian, Terrance- he raised you and was your father in every way.  In every way except for blood."  She handed him the locket.  "Marcus Bulwark is your father.  I-I didn't realize I was pregnant until a month after the duel."

Adrian could only stare at his mother in shock.

2.4 #13.jpg

"What?  What?"

She put her hands on his shoulders.  "Look at me.  This isn't meant as a pressure.  I-I realized, watching you with Marisa, you had a right to know.  Adrian, Terrance was a wonderful man.  But you have a right to know where you came from. You- you remind me of Marcus in a lot of ways.  And I realized that you should know. I didn't tell you this to put pressure on you, Adrian.  In fact, if you want to forget it, do so.  If you don't want to be King, don't.  I just- I want to see you happy.  Marisa makes you happy."

Adrian said nothing for a long time, trying to process it all.  His gaze looked at his hands in his lap.  When he finally raised his head, he looked at his mother.  "Mother, I'm a Rosa.  I-I don't want to be anything else.  Not really.  I-I'll continue in this competition because I promised I would.  I may have Bulwark blood running through me, but I'm a Rosa.  If I win, as a Rosa, so be it."

Ferina bit her lip.  Then she threw her arms around her son.  "I'm so proud of you, Adrian.  You are a Rosa, through and through."

Marisa couldn't stop grinning.  She had felt something several days ago, but hadn't thought anything of it.  Until it hadn't stopped.  So she'd followed her instincts.  And it was confirmed.  She couldn't wait to tell Adrian!

2.4 #14.jpg

He was eating breakfast.  She sat down, brimming.  He smiled at her.  She opened her mouth to tell him, then stopped.  There was something behind his eyes.  "Adrian?  What is it?"

She could see him hesitate.  He sighed.  "I learned something a while ago, after our wedding day.  I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I've spent the last little while trying to figure it out."

She slid a hand over his.  "Tell me."

His gaze met hers.  In her eyes, he saw the rest of his life.  So he told her.  All of it.  All that his mother had told him.

Once he finished, her thumb rubbed gently over the back of his hand.  Her smile was soft.  "You're right, Adrian.  You're a Rosa.  It-it can't have been easy for your mother.  But I'm glad she told you.  You do have the right to know.  We'll make our own way, you and I."  She leaned across the table to kiss him.  "Oh?  And Adrian?"

"Yes, love?"

"There's a little Rosa on the way."

2.4 #15.jpg

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.4 Up! New 4/29/18
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2018, 02:38:54 AM »
What a fabulous update, Jess!
The lovely wedding, Ferina's shocking revelation, and Marisa's big surprise.
They are a gorgeous couple and I like how Marisa embraces who he is, not who he should or could be.
She is perfect for him!

As for Blakely, I'm not worried. His relationship is rockier because his love is a very self-sufficient type. #TeamBlakely

Thank you for sharing your process for creating that Villareal ancestor. So they are Jacque's CAS-grandparents!
I cracked up at Adrian's embarrassment when he thought his mother was going to give him "The Talk." Hahahaha

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2018, 02:13:36 AM »
What a fabulous update, Jess!
The lovely wedding, Ferina's shocking revelation, and Marisa's big surprise.
They are a gorgeous couple and I like how Marisa embraces who he is, not who he should or could be.
She is perfect for him!

As for Blakely, I'm not worried. His relationship is rockier because his love is a very self-sufficient type. #TeamBlakely

Thank you for sharing your process for creating that Villareal ancestor. So they are Jacque's CAS-grandparents!
I cracked up at Adrian's embarrassment when he thought his mother was going to give him "The Talk." Hahahaha

@oshizu

Hehehe, yes, that is very true about Blakely ^^  I had a bit too much fun writing that part, with Adrian and his mother lol

Update for Beatrice incoming!  This one took a while to get right... The next update will be easier, but going to the movies tomorrow, so not sure when it will be up.  Probably not until late evening.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2018, 02:17:41 AM »
For anyone interested, I have thrown up the rules to both One to Rule Them All as well as the Royal Kingdom Challenge

2.5: Into the Lion's Den

"I'm just going to take your temperature, ok, sweetie?"  Beatrice smiled at the young girl sitting on the exam bed.

The little girl nodded.  She looked a bit green around the gills.  Beatrice was gentle as she placed the thermometer under the child's tongue.

2.5 #1.jpg

Beatrice kept smiling at her and when it beeped, she pulled it out and checked the reading.  "Looks like you have a fever.  The doctor will be in to see you in a couple minutes, ok?"

"Ok.  Thanks, Lady Campbell." 

Beatrice nodded as she went to go complete more of her duties.  At least she was able to work with patients now, even if it was still fairly simple things like taking temperature.  Then again, anything was better than being home.  Even cleaning the analyzer.

2.5 #2.jpg

She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck.  Ever since she had agreed to marry Gunner, he was over every other night so they could plan the wedding. At least, that's what he told his family. Thankfully, tonight it was just going to be her and Mira.

In fact, when she got off shift, Mira was waiting for her.  She was no longer a kitten, but a full grown adult cat.  She often waited for Beatrice to get home.  Beatrice had to admit that it was nice.

2.5 #3.jpg

Mira was a good companion.  Beatrice picked her up and took her inside.  She changed into something comfortable and made herself a late dinner.  Mira jumped up on the counter to join her mistress.

2.5 #4.jpg

Beatrice smiled.  It was probably not a good habit for Mira to get into it, but Beatrice didn't mind it.  And this was Mira's home as much as hers.  So Beatrice didn't say anything.  In fact, she gave the cat a quick pat on the head.

Beatrice was thinking about heading to bed when her phone went off.  Frowning, she looked at the read out.  She sighed and picked it up.  "Yes, Gunner?"

"You sound so enthusiastic," he teased.  "I know it's been a long week.  Why don't we make tonight about fun?  I have reservations for two at Nim Isilme Cafe.  Join me?"

Beatrice sighed.  "For two?  Sure of yourself, hm?"

"Most days.  C'mon, Lady Campbell.  You need to eat, right?  Join me?"

She looked down at the meal she had prepared for herself, then sighed.  She would be married to the man in less than a week.  She supposed she should try to play nice.  "I will meet you there."

She could hear the smug grin in his voice.  "Excellent.  Reservations are for 8.  See you then."

She hung up and looked at Mira.  "What am I getting myself into,  hm?"  The cat looked up at her and mewed.  Beatrice chuckled and went back upstairs to change.

The sun was just beginning to set when Beatrice stepped out of the car she had called for.  A figure in white and blue stood on the sidewalk.  She recognized the swagger.  He turned and stopped.  "Oh, wow.  You look beautiful."

Beatrice squirmed a bit at the genuine look in his eyes.  She was used to his arrogance and nonchalance.  She was not used to seeing him bow respectfully, nor was she used to a genuine smile.

2.5 #5.jpg

She looked toward the ground.  "Thank you."

He offered her his arm.  "Shall we?"

She took the offered arm and the two walked up the steps.  Gunner approached the host and they were shown to their table immediately.

2.5 #6.jpg

They ordered first.  Once the waitress left, Gunner arched a brow at her.  "You look a bit- uncomfortable.  Are you ok?"

Beatrice frowned.  Her discomfort showed?  It wasn't suppose to show.  The fact that Gunner noticed it was somehow worse.  She was a bit more defensive than she wanted to be as she said, "I'm perfectly fine."

The arrogance was back as Gunner preened.  "I suppose you don't know what to do about having dinner with such a handsome man, huh?"  He winked at her.

Beatrice rolled her eyes, even as the waitress was returning to their table with their food.

2.5 #7.jpg

After their steaming plates were set on the table, Beatrice reached for her wine and took a sip as she looked at Gunner over the rim.  Her brow furrowed and she looked at him for a long moment.  "You're not nearly as shallow as you pretend," she murmured, more to herself than to him.  "So why the act?"

Gunner took his own wine, though he didn't drink from it.  "How do you know that?  I am as shallow as I seem."

She shook her head.  "No, I don't think so.  I may be much better with information as opposed to people, but I've been studying you the last few weeks.  Oh-"  She gestured with her wine glass.  "You know you're a handsome devil.  And you sometimes use it.  But you are much more shrewd than you wish to appear.  Also much more- real."

Gunner laughed.  Beatrice didn't miss the underlying bitterness in it.  "That's quite an analysis, Lady Campbell."  It was all he said as he tucked into his food.

2.5 #8.jpg

Conversation after that was fairly light.  Then Beatrice saw Gunner gave a slight nod.  She turned around to see a couple sit down at a table behind her.  She recognized them immediately.  The King and Queen of Windenburg were well-known to her.

2.5 #9.jpg

"This wasn't planned," Gunner muttered.  He sounded almost defensive.

It made Beatrice laugh.  "I didn't believe it was.  Excuse me for a moment.  I think it's time I introduce myself, hm?"  She stood from her seat and had to pull in a breath.  It was never easy for her to put herself out there.  It could be considered a fear of hers, though she rarely let it show.  At least, that was her hope.

"Your highnesses," she murmured as she approached their table and bowed.  "It is a pleasure to meet you.  I am Lady Beatrice Campbell, of Newcrest."

2.5 #10.jpg

King Kellen's smile was warm as he stood and took her hand.  "Lady Campbell, yes.  I know who you are.  I have much to thank you for."  He dropped his voice low.  "Thank you.  For your information, of course, but also for what you are doing for my friend."  Only his gaze went to Gunner, still at the table.

Beatrice could only keep her smile in place.  "There is no thanks needed, your highness.  I only wished to say hello.  I will leave you to your meal.  Good evening, both of you."

The evening ended shortly after that.  Gunner walked her to the car that returned and helped her inside.  He held the door open for a moment and leaned in close.  "Beatrice?  You will be getting an invitation to the Villareal estate for dinner.  Don't accept it."

Beatrice frowned.  "Why not?"

He shook his head.  "It was my father's idea.  I don't trust it."

"Gunner, I am quite capable of handling an evening at dinner."  Something about the way he was so adamament she not accept the invitation made her hackles go up.

"Of course you can, I just- I don't want him near you!"

Her chin went up.  "We aren't married yet.  You go too far in trying to order me around.  I will decide whether to accept the invitation or not.  Am I clear?"

His own jaw tight and his expression stony, he jerked his head.  "Of course, Lady Campbell, you're crystal clear."  He closed the car door with a bang.  Beatrice jumped a little and turned quickly as the car pulled away.  She watched the long figure on the sidewalk, silhouetted in the street lights, until the car disappeared around the bend.

Beatrice approached the Villareal estate, her evening bag clutched in her hand.  Perhaps it was foolish to ignore a warning from Gunner just because he made it sound like an order.  But he had sounded too much like her father for her peace of mind.  He would learn in short order that she didn't follow dictates.  She had barely raised her hand to knock on the door when it was yanked open.  Instead of a butler or servant, Gunner stood there.  His eyes flashed.  "Nice to see, m'lady," he growled through clenched teeth.

For some reason, his bad mood brought out a smirk.  "Lord Gunner, how nice to see you again."

Bad-temperedly, he moved out of the door way so she could enter the home.  It was a nice home, more spacious and certainly more set up for entertaining than her own. As she followed Gunner to the dining room, her gaze roved over it all.  Gunner was certainly tense.  Oh, he was good at hiding it.  His smile didn't slip once, but she could see it in the way he held himself, the dark light in his eyes.

"Gunner, introduce us!"  Several people were approaching.  In the lead was a young woman that looked very much like Gunner.  Beatrice knew this had to be the heir, Lady Dianna.

The smile reached his eyes this time.  "Easy now, Dianna," he murmured.  "Dianna, this is my soon to be bride, Lady Beatrice.  Beatrice, this is my sister, Dianna."

"Pleased to meet you."  Beatrice curtsied.

Dianna rushed forward and threw her arms around Beatrice.  Beatrice froze.  "Thank you."  It was whispered so softly, Beatrice almost didn't hear it. 

She forced herself to relax.  So, the girl cared for her brother and if Beatrice was any judge, Dianna knew more than she let on.  Perhaps the girl was more like her brother than she was like her father.

"Dianna!  Control yourself!"

The voice was sharp.  "Lady Beatrice, this is Lady Camille Villareal, my step-mother."

The woman inclined her head in greeting.  "A pleasure, Lady Campbell."

"The pleasure is mine, m'lady.  Thank you, for having me in your home."  Lady Villareal smiled and bowed.

"The little one there, currently trying to escape, is Anthony, my younger brother," Gunner supplied, suppressing a grin as a little toddler tried to make a break for the front door.

Beatrice smiled at the boy.  It earned her a bigger smile from Lady Camille.  So, the woman cared about her family.  Even Gunner, though there was a bit of tension there, if Beatrice was any judge.  There was one person missing.  Then again, Beatrice supposed that was to be expected.

"Ah, Gunner.  Is this the lovely lady?"  Lord Villareal himself stepped up, smiling.

Beatrice inclined her head at Lord Villareal.  Her own smile was polite.  "My lord, it's an honor to meet you."  She could feel Gunner behind her, could feel the icy rage that came off him in waves.  She dare not look behind her to see if he was under control of himself.  Instead, she moved forward and put a hand on Lord Villareal's arm.  "You're home is magnificant."

"Thank you.  Please, let me get you seated.  Dinner will be served promptly."

He pulled out her chair, waited for her sit, then pushed it back in before he went to take his place at the head of the table.

Gunner took the seat opposite her, Dianna took the seat at the opposite end.  Lady Camille sat next to Gunner.  Little Anthony was in his high chair next to his mother.

2.5 #11.jpg

The meal was a quiet one.  As Beatrice ate her soup, she was reminded of dinners when her father was actually home. They had been unpleasant affairs.  But after a little while, Gunner began to tease Dianna, interact with his step-mother, and even play with Anthony when the little boy began to feel sleepy.

The only one that didn't seem to participate was Ezekiel.  He sat at the head of the table, as if surveying his own private kingdom.  She was aware that his gaze often went to her during the meal.  She raised her head and met his gaze.  She held it, letting him see she was not afraid of him.  Then she went back to eating her soup.

Beatrice was making small talk with Lady Camille when Gunner cleared his throat.  "Beatrice?  This is my mother, Nina Barone."

2.5 #12.jpg

She inclined her head.  "A pleasure, Ms. Barone."

The woman looked Beatrice up and down for a moment.  Beatrice saw Camille's mouth go into a thin line out of the corner of her eye.  It couldn't be easy knowing the woman your husband had a child with still lived in the same house.  Oh, it was a common occurence for many of the noble families, but few of them ever acknowledged the children out of wedlock.  Gunner was one of the rare ones.

Oddly enough, Beatrice did enjoy Gunner's family, at least his sister and his younger brother.  Watching him interact with them brought out a geniune smile.

Once dinner was through, Gunner walked Beatrice to the door.  He still wasn't happy with her, but he did brush his hand over her arm.  "Don't work too hard tomorrow," he told her in lieau of goodbye.  "I'll be there when you get home so we can finalized plans, alright?"

She nodded.  "Good night, Gunner."

The image on the screen blurred in front of her for the third time.  Beatrice closed her eyes tightly.  But her head was pounding.  She had woken up that morning not feeling the greatest.  It had only gotten worse during her shift at the hospital.  She was trying to analyze a sample, but she could barely see the screen.

2.5 #13.jpg

She managed to make it through her shift.  But by the time she got home, her head felt like it was going to explode.  She went upstairs and changed.  The thought of just crawling into bed was at the forefront, but there was still a few things to do before she could do that.  At the ring of the doorbell, she sighed.

She finished changing and went downstairs to answer the door.  When she saw who it was on the other side, she winced. 

2.5 #14.jpg

She had forgotten that he had said he would be coming over. She opened it.  "Gunner, can we do this-"  She didn't get to finish her sentence as he got a good look at her.

A curse left his mouth, one that had her eyes widening.  "Don't you know how to take care of yourself?" he snapped as he crossed over the threshold to stand directly in front of her.  She realized she had to look up to see his face.

"Excuse me?"  She fisted her hands on her hips.

"You need a keeper," he growled as he passed right by her into the house.

Indignation warred with her headache as what was foremost on her mind.  "A keeper?  Just who do you think you are?" she demanded, following him into the kitchen.

He whirled on her.  She took an involuntary step back when she saw the raw anger on his face.  "I'm going to be your husband in a few short days!" he snapped.  "And by the looks of it, you've run yourself into the ground!  Now, where do you keep the medicine?"

Beatrice tried to articulate a sentence, but nothing would come out.  Gunner let out a sound of disgust as he went through her cupboards.  He found what he was looking for.  "Now, will you take this like a good girl, do am I going to pour it down your throat?"

A part of her wanted to refuse, even to throw him out.  But at the moment, he looked angry enough (and she wasn't in the best of shape right then) that he'd carry through with his threat.  So she took the bottle from him, calmly poured some into a cup, and then downed it.  It tasted awful, as medicine was wont to do.  She grimaced.  "There, are you happy?"

"Not remotely," he growled, his arms crossed over his chest.  "Now, obviously you are in no shape to hash out more of the details tonight.  I'll be taking the guest room like I did the other night.  You, are going to go to bed, alright?"

Beatrice threw up her hands in frustration, then stomped up the stairs.  She was angry enough that she doubted she would sleep, but soon after her head hit the pillow, she was out.

It was about half an hour before her door opened quietly and Gunner padded in.  He hadn't slept much the night before so had planned on passing out in her guest room for a bit.  But he wanted to check on Beatrice.  He smiled as he looked down on her while she slept.

2.5 #15.jpg

He sighed softly, rubbing the back of his neck.  "Hope one day you'll trust me," he murmured before turning and leaving, making sure to be very quiet so she could sleep.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC 2.5 Up! New 5/4/18
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
Beatrice and Gunner seem to have the rockiest road to romance.
Beatrice doesn't make things easy. She seems constantly tense and unhappy in this update.
Compared to, say, Adrian, Beatrice seems (to me, at least) to lack the charm and grace to be ruler.
Of course, a good ruler is not all charm and grace but Beatrice seems better suited to working behind behind the scenes, despite her stunning beauty.

Just the impression I got after reading this update.
(If anyone can melt Beatrice's heart, Gunner can...)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »
I'm a few updates behind so I can't comment on them, yet.  I just wanted to pop in and say again that I love this story.  I don't always get to comment before the next episode is posted, but I wanted you to know that I am reading and it's wonderful.  Now, I'm off to go catch up.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2018, 03:11:35 AM »
Beatrice and Gunner seem to have the rockiest road to romance.
Beatrice doesn't make things easy. She seems constantly tense and unhappy in this update.
Compared to, say, Adrian, Beatrice seems (to me, at least) to lack the charm and grace to be ruler.
Of course, a good ruler is not all charm and grace but Beatrice seems better suited to working behind behind the scenes, despite her stunning beauty.

Just the impression I got after reading this update.
(If anyone can melt Beatrice's heart, Gunner can...)

@oshizu

Yeah, they definitely have the hardest road. And no, she doesn't make it easy. Heh, well, she is a loner.  In fact, you'll see more of it in the next update, but she has a phobia of being with people, particularly large groups. She has to get through that in order to interact with people at all.  Hehe, she tends to agree with you XD  Hehehehe, you'll see how it goes in the next update which is forthcoming.

I'm a few updates behind so I can't comment on them, yet.  I just wanted to pop in and say again that I love this story.  I don't always get to comment before the next episode is posted, but I wanted you to know that I am reading and it's wonderful.  Now, I'm off to go catch up.

@BallerinaHippo

That's quite alright!  I know it can be hard to keep up.  My updates are pretty wordy XD sorry about that!  I'm just glad you're enjoying it ^^

Next update incoming!

anything