Author Topic: Sims 3 - How to Start the Game Without the Launcher  (Read 163928 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Sims 3 - How to Start the Game Without the Launcher
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
Updated: Aug.30.2018

These instructions are for Windows only and may only work with the pre-2012 disc and Steam versions.

*This may not work for the Origin version*

Steam User? Read this article to help bypass the Sims 3 Launcher

There's a way to bypass the launcher and go straight to starting the game. To bypass the launcher:

1. Click on Start in lower left corner.
2. Click on Computer.
3. Double click C: drive.
4. Click Program Files or Program Files (x86).
5. Double Click Electronic Arts.
6. Double Click on the Base Game folder.
7. Double Click Game.
8. Double Click Bin.
9. Look for a file called TS3W.exe file, right-click on it and select send to desktop.
-- See below for path.

To create a new shortcut to Sims 3.

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Base Game\Game\Bin and on the TS3W.exe file, right-click and send to desktop.

** Depending on where the game is installed, the path might be different.

-- Please be aware, there is a bug with the launcher at the moment, that if you use it you may need to manually close it. Or use Task Manager to close it.

Open Task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) search for a file called Sims3Launcher (32 bit) Right click on it and select End Task.

If you're using Mac, or the Steam version, please see this thread on the AHQ Sims 3 Forum for troubleshooting tips.

Sims 3 Launcher Running in Tray While Playing
https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Sims-3-launcher-running-in-tray-while-playing/td-p/6993691
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

takeng04

Re: How to Start the Game Without the Launcher
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »
 ;D

Hi, does this mean I can play the game without the need to insert the DVD everytime? What is the next step after I found the file?

Thanks!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
You still have to use the CD, Pam was just giving people an option, for instance, you could not play the game via the game launcher, which has happened.  She is giving us a workaround for that, you always have to have CD.  Of course there are the people that get their game from certain sites, but, that is the only way you don't need a CD.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

lianne

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:18 PM »
Actually it's legal (in the UK anyway) to use a crack so that you don't need your CD - on the condition that you do actually own the game. It basically replicates how it would work if you'd bought the game digitally and didn't have a disc, by letting you run it straight from your computer.

takeng04

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »
Actually it's legal (in the UK anyway) to use a crack so that you don't need your CD - on the condition that you do actually own the game. It basically replicates how it would work if you'd bought the game digitally and didn't have a disc, by letting you run it straight from your computer.

From where I am, I don't see any harm in using crack, hope you can tell me how. My intention is to spare my drive from getting used incessantly and now it resulted to getting broken. I bought an external drive now to be able to play the game. I have til Ambitions exp. pk.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »
From where I am, I don't see any harm in using crack, hope you can tell me how. My intention is to spare my drive from getting used incessantly and now it resulted to getting broken. I bought an external drive now to be able to play the game. I have til Ambitions exp. pk.

No, you will not be told how. Our forum is not the place to discuss CD cracks.

lianne

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
I agree, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it at all but I would never go any further than that on this forum. Sorry guys, I'll keep it zipped.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

winnow

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »
If Pam's instructions don't work, you can also try to launch the game from the main Sims 3 (base game) folder in program files x86, not from the latest expansion folder (step 6). My game would not load when I used the application icon in the Ambitions folder but it would load when I used the application icon in the Sims 3 (base game) folder.

Offline gmyers2486

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
;D

Hi, does this mean I can play the game without the need to insert the DVD everytime? What is the next step after I found the file?

Thanks!

When you LEGALLY buy a game, you can register it with the EA Download Manager, now called origin.  Every game comes with a digital copy which you can download and not need to use the disk every time.  I like it because it keeps my disks from getting scratched.  Here's the link: http://source.origin.com/about

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 05:11:35 AM »
Since patch 1.22.9 (released after Generations EP), this method has changed. The game is not launched anymore from a '.exe' in the last EP/SP folder, but from a generic TS3W.exe in the base game program folder.

Follow the steps 1 to 5 in the opening post from Pam.
6. Double click on your base game folder, so The Sims 3
7. Double click on Game folder
8. Double click on Bin folder
9. Look for TS3W.exe, right click and select Copy, go back to your desktop, right click and select Paste Shortcut.

The complete path to the game is thus:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe"   if you have a 32-bit OS.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe"   if you have a 64-bit OS.

Et voilą!

Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
Thanks so much Pam my launcher had just stopped working and then I saw this article. You are a life saver.  :D

Beelz

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 05:03:24 AM »
Agreed, thx Pam. My launcher also stopped working yesterday (spooky), but this work around worked.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »
Yeah, there were some problems with the launcher on EA's end.  Hopefully they've gotten it fixed now.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Sahteene

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »
hi, i have these words on how to start the game without the launcher. When I launch the game through steam the Launcher portal thing hangs there and doesn't do much. Sometimes the game won't start but when it does the background song is still playing and the launcher takes up system memory and CPU usage, slowing down my game. The song can be muted easily but the CPU problem persists.

If I leave the launcher on I get a message saying "Requires internet connection to connect to portal..."

I guess I can bypass this by starting the .exe without the launcher but I don't know how.

Offline thesimslover828

• Playing The Sims 3 again, WooHoo!!!
  • Immortal
  • Death To The Visitors, V Is For Victory
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:39:32 AM »
I never use the launcher, but how I do it is pin the game to the taskbar. I use windowed mode but I wouldn't think you would have to. I just like it like that because I can look up stuff on the internet, (the forum) while I'm playing the game. It's very useful for me. I have windows 7 by the way so that might help I don't know.
We are of peace, always but this is war.
We are of peace, always.
We'll help build a resistance. We have to fight.

When all you've ever loved has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.
For the truly wronged, satisfaction can be found in one of two places,  absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness. When deception cuts this deep, someone has to pay.