Author Topic: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread  (Read 141304 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Re: The Legacy Help, Tips, and Strategies Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:34 AM »
Earlier in this thread I posted about the troubles I was having, focusing the camera when a painter captures a still-life, as a means to paint a portrait for a legacy. I continued to have such a hard time with it, that I changed the rules of my legacy so as not to require portraits. Now we have the Immortal Dynasty Challenge, and I was already feeling like I'd be unable to participate for that same reason. I needed to resolve my portrait problems.

I got onto my maxed painter sim and played around with the camera and it dawned on me that I'd been struggling with trying to focus on a moving target, when in fact the tilde key would pause the movement. I had thought there was no way to do that. So, with my confidence back, I had my painter paint a couple self-portraits and to my surprise the other problem I'd been having was still there. Despite a large variation in sim traits and skills, all the portraits come out looking like these, dotty and unclear:

Is there a way to get clearer portraits? Or is this just a result typical of "still life portraits"? She doesn't have a "portrait" option, even though she's maxed.

I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2010, 01:12:26 AM »
@LlamaMama:

Your painter can paint portraits at level 7.  You just need to click on the easel and select Portrait.  What happens when you try to do that with your painter Sim?  As for the grainy paintings, you can't control that.  It's just what the painter happens to paint.

As for the Immortal Dynasty Challenge, it specifies portraits, not still life.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »
Does Portrait only come up if there is someone else on your lot? Isn't still-life the only option for self-portrait?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline applejackkxo

• Llama Wrangler
  • "Blame it all upon a rush of blood to the head."
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2010, 01:17:51 AM »
I believe portrait would only come up when someone is on your lot, similar to painting ice sim sculptures. I'm also pretty sure still life is the only option for self-portrait.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »
I just double-checked and my only options are paint, paint from memory, paint still-life, paint stylized still-life. I think it must be because she's alone on the lot.

As for the Dynasty, then, one would need to have more than one painter to at least level 7 if self-portraits are not an option?

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2010, 01:27:47 AM »

As for the Dynasty, then, one would need to have more than one painter to at least level 7 if self-portraits are not an option?

That is exactly what I am going to do, have at least 2 sims that are at level 7 painting to do the portraits.  Our spouses will be excellent for this I feel.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »
Right, being alone on the lot would explain why the portrait option isn't coming up.

I've sent a message to Metro about the portraits for the Immortal Dynasty Challenge.  My thought is that you will need a painter other than the immortal Sim to do a portrait.  It was Pinstar's rules that allowed a still life to count as a portrait, but not Metro's.  I'll hear back from him about it tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2010, 01:35:45 AM »
Thanks. I just invited a sim onto the lot and the portrait option did come up, resulting in a much better-quality image than the self-portraits. Those self-portraits were masterpiece quality despite the poor realism.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2010, 08:47:45 AM »
Hi everyone. I'll jump in here and respond. Portraits only for Immortal Dynasty. A still-life self portrait does not fulfill the requirement.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2010, 08:09:44 PM »
My legacy home is getting pretty crowded, and my spare has almost reached his LTW. If I kick him out, he might leave town, but if I buy him a house for his family, then my legacy funds are less. What do you do?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
If you have played them they shouldn't move out? I think?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »
My legacy home is getting pretty crowded, and my spare has almost reached his LTW. If I kick him out, he might leave town, but if I buy him a house for his family, then my legacy funds are less. What do you do?

He might leave town even if you buy him a house.  I've had that happen before.  If it was me, depending on how much is in family funds, I'd probably kick him out.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
I can't kick him out now. I've spent his 50K happiness on a Food Replicator for the family.

I love the real estate options now. The 4 adults all get the same wish regarding venues or partnerships, and when one takes the action, all 4 of them get the big points!

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2010, 01:58:38 AM »
I'm discovering one unexpected side-effect of playing 7 sims in a household. It takes forever to get through a generation (pause/queue, rinse, repeat x 7). I'm going to have to move the adult spare and his family out of the house. I was thinking of moving them into his wife's mom's house (the mom has a baby younger than theirs!). I assume I have to do this through some ingame method, not in Edit Town. If the wife makes nice with her mom, will the option come up to move her entire family into the mom's house? If not, how would I do this?

Edit: Never mind, I'm such a ninny. It was way less painful to kick them out than I realized.  :-X

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »
My solution was often the Grandparents!  ;) Take control of both heirs and only control the other sims if necessary!
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]