Author Topic: Chronicles of the Secret Fire: Bedtime Story (55)  (Read 72870 times)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Chronicles of the Secret Fire: Bedtime Story (55)
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »
Life of a Mooch

He was happy with himself. The stubble on his chin was scruffy enough to make him endearing, yet not so wild as to appear bestial. His hair was likewise shaggy, having not been combed for several weeks, and likely not for several more. All in all, Thor thought he was ready to head out.

Mooching is an art, after all, or so Thor liked to think. He preferred to think of it as diplomacy. Charm passing neighbors with tact and wit, then presuade his newest "friends" to make him a deal. Thor receives the much-needed assistance in living, and they receive the warm feeling in their heart of having done something good for someone else. Some accused him of being no more than a con man, but Thor truly needed their help.

After all, living in a public restroom is demeaning enough.

The onslaught of snow just made it downright insulting.

Miraculously, a small onion plant had managed to survive the frigid weather and bear fruit. Thor knew an opportunity when he saw one. Fresh food is a rarity in his class, and should never be turned away.

Especially not when he could roast his newfound onions not 30 feet away in all their roasted, onion-y decadence.

Or so he hoped. As it turned out, roasted winter onions are not quite as appetizing as they sound, and they don't sound particularly appetizing to begin with.

Truth be told, there was another reason Thor chose this particular camp to make a living at. Not many beaches this remote could boast about having Claw Machines, after all, and Thor hoped to catch something particularly nice.

Thor's eyes shot open as the claw honed in onto his plushy bear prize. This would be the perfect gift, he thought with glee. He could use something to lift his spirits this time of year. Today, of all days, perhaps he could have something to bring a smile to his face.

But alas, today was not the day.

Chapters of the Secret Fire

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: Chronicles of the Secret Fire
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 09:57:25 PM »
Ooh, this is an interesting start. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Louise56

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »
Awesome start! Poor Thor, only a roasted onion? :P
Welcome back Audren. ;)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
Interesting - and intriguing start.  I'm wondering what Thor's story has to do with Secret Fire.  And what happened that Thor is living in a public restroom.  But mostly I'm hoping he can find some warmer clothes, because I'm shivering just looking at him in his t-shirt out in the snow!

By the way, I've had roasted onions and they're really good!  :D

Looking forward to more.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Chronicles of the Secret Fire: Recruitment
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »
Recruitment

Disappointed with his recent failures, Thor needed a rest, something to take his mind off his struggles. A rather slobbish and disheveled man he once saw across the street answered this with cheap nectar, but Thor decided not to go that route. (1) As he gazed over the horizon, he saw a tiny figure across the bay. What kind of fool would willingly go outside in this blizzard? Thor wondered, but he couldn't think about this oddity for long. Just as he noticed the unusual character, his phone rang.

Well, not his phone, per se. Thor was amazed how quickly his "neighbors" would throw away cell phones that stopped working, especially when it turns out that they can be fixed. Still, nobody had ever called the phone before. Thor put on his best schmoozing voice, ready to take advantage of the situation.

Thor: Ah, my friend! It's good to hear from you again! How are you, dearest friend?
Voice: I'm not giving you money, Thor. Don't try to fool me.
Thor: Are you sure? I'm almost positive that you're the man who bumped into me a few weeks ago on the street. Have another 10 simoleons for me?
Voice: Far more than 10, but you'll have to earn it. I know who you are, Thor. I know what happened on the Plains.

Thor: Th-the Plains? Who are you?
Voice: Who I am is not important, though you won't remember me fondly. Who you are, and where, is important. I can see you from here, and so can you. Are you enjoying yourself in a public restroom?

Thor: How do you know these things?
Voice: Were you to know that, you would close your mind to my offer. Now, I need you to listen.
Thor: Is this a scam? You of all people ought to know I can't give you anything.
Voice: Oh, that is far from the truth, Thor. You are many things, but you are not a liar. Perhaps our arrangement will surprise even you.

Thor: Somehow I doubt that.
Voice: Of course you do. Meet me at Varg's Tavern in an hour.
Thor: Why not now? I don't exactly have anything planned for the day.
Voice: Unfortunately, I do. I have someone else to talk to.
Thor: You must be a popular guy.
Voice: Not to her.

After that, the mystery man hung up. Thor had half a mind not to show up, and half a mind to pretend to, but something intrigued him about this stranger. Something in his gut told him that he knew this man. Something else in his gut told him he didn't want to.

There wasn't enough room in his gut to expect this.

(1)This slobby man being a certain Nameless protagonist portrayed by a certain renowned lover of black devils. (2)
(2)Yes, I've added footnotes to fiction. Sue me.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
I can't believe I just spent an hour uploading my 1000th screenshot. (among others, of course) Even with the deletions I made, it's still close to 40 screenshots.  :o

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:57:06 PM »
And the supense builds!  Oh, this is just getting better and better!  Is this the mysterious "her" from the Mole story, by any chance?  Did A become a pirate after the second season of the Mole?

By the way, Nameless asked me to tell Thor that the offer to share a bottle of nectar still stands.  Much as it pains Nameless to share his precious nectar, that bothersome Good trait sometimes compels him to be generous to others.

More, please!  :D

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
Ohhh! A's a pirate now. The ecomy has been pretty ruff in Simnation, but I didn't think anyone needed to resort to stealing. :P Looking forward to the next update!
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
Ohhh! A's a pirate now. The ecomy has been pretty ruff in Simnation, but I didn't think anyone needed to resort to stealing. :P Looking forward to the next update!

Well, A's a traveler at heart, and he recently vacationed to the idyllic coastlines of Barnacle Bay. A felt like setting the mood with his outfit. I swear A spends more time on his outfit than "she" does!  :P

And the supense builds!  Oh, this is just getting better and better!  Is this the mysterious "her" from the Mole story, by any chance?  Did A become a pirate after the second season of the Mole?

By the way, Nameless asked me to tell Thor that the offer to share a bottle of nectar still stands.  Much as it pains Nameless to share his precious nectar, that bothersome Good trait sometimes compels him to be generous to others.

More, please!  :D

I'll answer that with a picture. (It's too awesome not to show, but I can't figure out how to add it into the story) I might post an update tonight, but I'm not sure. Depends on my mood.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Chronicles of the Secret Fire: Bars and Secrets
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »
Bars and Secrets

A'd been waiting for some time. His previous visit had... gone as expected, if nothing else. He hoped that Thor would at least be a more accepting ear, if not a punctual ear.

At last the guest had arrived. A watched him as Thor slowly walked towards the table.

Their eyes met in a Texas standoff, neither speaking nor looking away. Both men stared, determining whom would speak first, and what they would say. At last, the silence was broken.

Thor: Dude, what's up with the pirate costume?
A: Would you rather me dress like the other kind of pirate? Even I wouldn't dress up as one of them.
Thor: Touche. So why am I here?

A: I'm sure you've heard of aliens, Thor?
Thor: Don't tell me you're one of those conspiracy freaks. They aren't any aliens living among us!
A: That's what I thought, too. Until I learned what really happened on the Plains.
Thor: ... I'm listening.

A: I investigated the Plains after... after what happened. Tried to figure out how it went down. But it didn't make sense. What purpose would a Sim have in doing that?
Thor: Do they need a reason?
A: I suppose not, but I determined that it wasn't a Sim. Therefore, it must've been aliens.
A: I've spent 10 years searching for them, to find out the true story. I found one in Twinbrook, but all he did was cast me away and abduct my cast.
Thor: Cast?
A: Not important. What is important is that I've found one now. Or, I'm close to it.

Thor: And who would that be?
A: Look over there, headed to the bar.

Thor: Who is that?
A: I'm not sure, but something's not right with her. I've seen her waiting for strange persons after dark.
Thor: So? Maybe it's a boyfriend she doesn't want her parents to know about?
A: Maybe. But look at those eyes. She knows who we are. Or who I am, in any case. I think she's an informant, a spy for the aliens. I summoned you to Varg's Tavern because I'd like you to investigate her.

Thor: Wait, what?
A: Talk to her, talk to her friends. Stakeout her house. Find out if she's connected with the aliens.
Thor: Why should I?
A: Closure on the events of the Plains? Discovering the whole story? If that's not enough for you, I have money. Enough to get you a house of your own. Please, just help me, and you'll help yourself.
Thor: Fine. Where should I start?
A: You know, you look thirsty. Maybe you should get a drink.

Thor: Thanks for the drink.
Woman: No problem. It's what I do.
Thor: And how long have you been doing this?
Woman: Long enough. Hey, I've got to head out. Check on my mom. Nice talking to you.

Thor: She must've known.
A: Probably, but he won't. He's the other bartender. Ask him what he knows.

Thor: Hey, you wouldn't happen to know that lady who just left, would you?
Henry: You mean DeeDee? Of course I know her. Why, want her number?
Thor: No, that's fine. I'm just, er, writing a book on the history of Moonlight Falls, and I want to know about the neighbors.
Henry: Well, DeeDee's a nice enough woman, for a witch.

Thor: A witch?
Henry: Or something like that. She's got these strange powers. Lots of the neighbors have them, too, but DeeDee's different.
Thor: Different how?
Henry: Well, for one, I've never seen her use a wand. Don't witches need wands to use their magic?
Thor: That's what I've heard.
Henry: And she's always meeting wih these people, over by the Van Gould mansion. I've never gotten a good look at them.
Thor: How intriguing.

Thor: Well, thank you for your time.
Henry: Sure you still don't want her number.
Thor: No, I'll manage. There is one more thing, though.

Thor: You wouldn't happen to have any money to spare, would you? You wouldn't believe how expensive paper can be for my book nowadays.
Henry: Uh, sure. I could spare a few simoleons.

Ordinarily, A would've made some sort of retort at Thor's continued mooching, perhaps reassure him that those talents won't need to be put to use for much longer. A was, however, not paying attention to Thor. Out the window, he could see the wintry downpour of white. It was a day like today when he talked to her for the first time in quite a while.

Louise56

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 07:27:27 AM »
Who is the woman A is thinking about? I cant wait to find out. Great update!

Offline Roxanne07

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »
Very intriguing start! Looking forward to meeting the mysterious "her"!  :D

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
  • Sims3 - because being omnipotent is fun!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »
Wow - I've been away from the Forum for a while, but this is SUCH an amazing find now I'm back :D Nice work Audren, can't wait to read more!

Offline Blayzen

• I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! =P
  • Townie
  • Just Believe.....
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Welcome back, Audren! As usual, you are off to a great start and I can't wait to see what happens next! Will we finally meet the elusive "her" and find out why A is haunted by his memories of her? Biting my nails and on the edge of my seat...
Tenshin - A Bachelorette Bromance =)

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 04:59:55 PM »
Ooh, how mysterious. I wonder if "her" is who I think she is. Great update Audren.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations