Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1066150 times)

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:22 AM »
Solstice I am very much a fan of your house so far. The outside is just beautiful! I like that the top level has a different outside paint job to the bottom - it looks real professional. And how did you get the statue to be covered in moss?

Danefaith, I'll have to download your house and explore the tomb. I'll let you know how I find it.

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
Solstice, I love your house so far.  Such attention to detail!  Can't wait to see when it is finished.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »
Solstice, I love your courtyard idea! I didn't know I wanted one until I saw yours. I particularly like your use of tile to define the courtyard space. I will definitely download this home when you're finished. I'd be happy to get it unfurnished if you finish the outside first. What size lot is it?

In real life I live in a town with spanish/mediterranean-styled homes and buildings. I'd love to make one at some point, but the building materials available in the game don't really fit with that.

I've seen mention of finding inspiration in home plans found online. I'd like to try that, but I can never find a key to the symbols used, so I can't read them. It seems that each site should provide a key.
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »
And how did you get the statue to be covered in moss?

My best guess is using a pattern that has two colors and a patchy texture, like the rusty metal patterns, and coloring one part grey and the other part green.  Very clever :)

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
Here's a prison/asylum themed 'hotel' that I use as a community lot.  I built it pre-ambitions and I went to work on it today and realized I have no desire to finish it lol.  The construction is totally done except for creating rooms on the third floor.  Could definitely use some landscaping in back and also half of the second and all of the third floor are unfurnished, but the bread-and-butter stuff is all set.  16 bedrooms on the ground floor, 2 executive suites on second floor, 2 rec rooms, staff lounge, 2 dining rooms and 2 large kitchens.  There's hidden stairs in the backyard to go to the 'dungeon' area, not furnished or mapped out just something that some of you may like :)  It's supposed to go right next to the waterfall in SV, some townies stay here for days since it meets all of a Sim's basic needs.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2845846

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
That's just remarkable, TommyT!

some townies stay here for days since it meets all of a Sim's basic needs.

Do the townies autonomously inhabit the place?

I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »
Thank you, and yes because I have it designated as a community lot that allows visitors, so they'll just show up and hang out :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »
Can I ask, what exactly is CC? I just assumed that it was only custom made things downloaded from different sims sites, but does it also include things from the sims3.com exchange? What about if I changed the colour of a wood while making my house and saved it as a new wood, would that count as CC? Because I love doing that...

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »
Pally~  No worries, what you're doing is fine.  CC is usually when someone has created an entirely new item or clothing or hair style using their own programing skills.  If you have to download a mesh or some other such thing from a third-party site (ie. not from The Sims 3 official site) then chances are you're dealing with some CC.  Sometimes CC makes it onto The Exchange, like for instance that doll that people are talking about that's corrupted a whole bunch of houses there.  CC can really mess up your game, because it's added programming that wasn't originally intended by EA.  Which is why we don't endorse it, and why we don't want any houses shared here that include it.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2010, 12:31:37 AM »
Seems just a little too friendly to be prison themed, haha.

And oh yeah, my previous tomb upload ended up having a missing keystone and a few unlocked doors I forgot to relock/replace after my test run.  My fix up is here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2848700 Hope no one was inconvenienced for too long, trying to find that key!  Lol.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2010, 01:06:56 AM »
Thanks for the explanation AriaGirl - I have only ever downloaded one thing from the exchange - a tile with a dolphin on it - and I don't use it anymore, and I don't download custom made stuff. So I'm happy :) I'll still get to show you my renovated house when I'm done with it. It's turning out bigger than I thought!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2010, 03:33:08 AM »
These are really some great lots!  Quite impressive, everyone.  :D

And just to let everyone know, I've made an addition to the Forum Rules about posting links to lots that contain third party custom content. It's a very serious offense and will have serious consequences. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:11 AM »
I love little details that make things look like a home as well! I am in love with the miscelanious decorative items like a stack of cds, or the kitchen knives. I often buy those from the store when I have points because I love the clutter. And simmade paintings and photographs are great. I'll probably be displaying sculptures when I get around to them too.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »
I want to build something but I don't know what, anyone have any requests for me?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines.  I would like something smaller, but elegant.  I love windows and sunrooms and plants.  I usually end up with artists, so scenery is a plus.  Price is no object.  I have a household that is due for a new house and they have lots of money.  So if you can come up with something, it would be appreciated.  I have quite a few sets from the store and actually, it does not really need to be fully furnished.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

anything