Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1073445 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2010, 08:07:03 AM »
Well I just finished a Modern Home, it is large with several bedrooms and Cots, two garden areas, open lawn area and one major thing it is Very Colourful! It looks like a mini city to me so I named it accordingly!  ;)

ColourTastic 'City' House
Price - $215,692

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2863815

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I originally started this For Pam, the modern family home with colour... Maybe I went a bit to overboard on that part!  ;D All the 'Blocks' as I call them are coloured to the outside colour to make a theme but in the 'Red Block' the rooms will probably be changed to match sims favourite colours.  :)

Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »
Wow!  That's amazing.  Thank you, Samoht!  I won't be lacking for large modern houses now with this and the one from TommyT.  :D

Edit:  My browser is acting up, so I'll have to download it later.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »
Do you like the colours or did I go a bit to far?  :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Teatoo

« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
All of your houses are so good! Samoht your one is amazing! :) I started building a house yesterday, a small, simple modern house. I thought it was okay but I'm really struggling with the interior. I always find that if I try and make it look interesting, colour and flooring wise, it always just clashes and it looks bad. I then have to resort to making it look extremely plain and nearly the same all over. It's even harder for me in an open plan house, which is what I was making. It looks terrible. I might post some pictures, to get some advice because I'm really disappointed with it.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »

I think it's amazing! I can imagine how much fun the kids would have playing on top of all the levels and units! I think you'll have a generation of freerunners!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Teatoo

« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »
Teatoo, what I find with open plan interiors is that if you tend to use the same design wallpaper on all 4 corners, it will tend to look too bland (if the design is plain) or too crowded (if the design is patterned).

Here's a few tips:

1) Designate maybe a couple walls that will have a pattern/design, make the rest of the remaining walls plain (or use a plain wall that allows you to have some kind of small bordering at the top where you can then take the pattern from the patterned wall and dump it on the bordering). Then either mix and match the colours, ie. either take a colour from the patterned wall and dump it on the plain wall, or the other way round, choose a colour for your plain wall and then dump it on the patterned wall and see how the colours turn out. That way, even if the walls are different, you still get some kind of continuity in your interior.

2) Keep your crowns/kick mouldings/skirting boards/dado rails the same all throughout the open plan area or otherwise two different ones meeting each other on a wall might turn out looking odd or may even clash against each other. There are wall sets that you can modify in order to have different types of wall design, but all have the same crowning/skirting board design, etc. This will aid continuity in your design and help unify the floorplan.

3) Open plan kitchen and living room can sometimes be a nightmare with your wallpapers. If any two rooms are sharing the same wall, but you want to clearly designate the divide, use the same methods as above with the wall design, but at the seam where the patterned and the plain wall divides, put a high bookshelf (the ones that nearly reach the ceiling), or maybe a high glass door, or a high archway to hide the seam/change in the wallpaper. That way, the rooms can still share the same open plan wall but don't look the same.

4) Use the large rugs on your floor (or use a different type of flooring to create a rug effect on the floor) to again help you designate the "rooms" in an open plan area. Or maybe for the living room, arrange the sofas and arm chairs so that they are sectioning off the living room from the rest of the open space. Also, use counters or breakfast bars, or juice bars again to help you section off either the kitchen or some kind of eating area. The screen dividers will also help you achieve sectioning off of certain areas.

5) By using the above ideas, you can almost certainly get away with using the same design and type of flooring for the whole open plan space. This would then help you unify all the separate designated areas or so called "rooms" in your house.

@samoht - I love the rainbow-tastic idea ;)
Woah, thanks, that was really, really useful. ^_^ I've definitely learn't a lot from that. I'll try to apply that to my house, I've got a few ideas now. :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »

It's brighter and bolder than I was expecting, but it has a certain appeal with the way it's designed.  If it weren't for the blocks look of the whole thing, the bright colors might not have worked.  But I think it's quite clever.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Yeah, it goes very well with the modern style of the house.

It might be a bit tacky otherwise in another house (like victorian styles), but you fit the only exception to that precisely. :)
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline TollingBells

• Occult
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
I finally got to level 3 visa on my recent sim's game, and I bought one of the larger models in the city. Boy, what a train wreck...gray and bleak brown, cruddy, unthemed furniture, and a few decorations. I knew I had to change that.

[img=http://s2.postimage.org/cvoa9.jpg]
The Angel China House
Price:
Before makeover: 63000 simoleans
After makeover: 90000 simoleans

This is the entire building, after I recolored the outside of the building to something more...pretty. I went with gold and red. and fenced in the walkways, while also adding a easel and a telescope to the upper entrance. I added a few trees to the court yard, and some zen gardens, as well as two guardian statues on either side of the entrance porch.

[img=http://s1.postimage.org/EyW0r.jpg]

As you can see, the kitchen and second bathroom were dark and dingy, looking like years of grime covered the ancient stone tiles. I turned the bathroom into a lounge bath room, adding a amazing tub, bamboo flooring, and a boom box for soothing music. I also added a freaking DOOR, that EA forgot to put in...Then, I added a small study, with some displays and a laptop for working on vacation, and redid the kitchen and dining area, adding lanterns and candles everywhere, for lighting.

[img=http://s1.postimage.org/EBU59.jpg]

The bedrooms didn't look at all like the usually cozy bedrooms EA creates. They looked more like they were just scraped together haphazardly. The beds themselves were awful, and didn't fit my needs- The owner's son and his significant other, and their teenage daughter, who prefers being alone. I did up the bedrooms in their favorite colors, Yellow and Lavender, and made sure each had a dresser, lighting, rugs, and a comfy chair. I also did some different tiling in the stair's hall, and added a few lanterns for lighting.

[img=http://s1.postimage.org/EG7Zr.jpg]

This was a extremely odd room , and I hated the look of this entire section. I did the bathroom up in a more black and white theme, made a main bedroom for the couple, and converted the extra space into a study lounge. I did add more displays for items and more lighting and decoration. I also added in my favorite music player that I downloaded in a 'Steampunk' set, the phonograph. I felt it added a more 'Victorian orient' room feel. And, yes, the bedroom has a display case for some example of potter I added later.

[img=http://s1.postimage.org/EGJoA.jpg]

This room had a lot of potential, but obviously was not very attractive. I've moved around some things, since the picture, but otherwise it looks the same. The room has a reading area, a TV and video game area, and a chess area. I also added the large bookshelf so the family can store their books, and later a bamboo object and display for a favorite relic.

Edit: Gosh darn it...Just click on the links, I can't reload the pictures.
You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew, what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow

-Katy Perry, Fireworks

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »
Nice job!  I would like to buy a house in each country and redo it.  I had not traveled at all until this week, but WA is very cool.  I love your colors, especially the red.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »
@TollingBells:  The best way to get images into your posts is to use the instructions found here.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TollingBells

• Occult
« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2010, 08:21:13 PM »
I know how to post pictures, I just messed up the tags. I'm not sure how to fix 'em either.

Thanks, Justwright.  ;) I like using colors akin to the country, and in China it seems to be red, black, gold and jade. If I get to france, I'd like to do colored rooms, like a red room, blue room, white room, pink room...The flag colors and different valentines day colors.
You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew, what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow

-Katy Perry, Fireworks

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:20 AM »

Well here's my latest work, started out as sort of a rowhouse and then blossomed with a few angles and extensions.  The room placement might strike you as a little weird, kitchen in the way back, the bathroom in the home extension (makes you wonder, where was it before?), but I can't help but like the quirkiness.

Starts with a nice, spacious foyer into the hall, passing the bedroom and bath to the kitchen, while the bedroom features a few striking angles to seperate the sitting area from the bed itself.

The kitchen is sectioned with columns and a bar style serving station.

The bathroom includes an antechamber and doored toilet and bath for those privacy freaks.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2891150

I've actually added a bit of heather following the screenshots, but prior to the uploaded.  Thinking of going back and breaking up some of the lawn area with varying terrain paints, and painting the columns in the kitchen to stone.

Hope ya enjoy.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2010, 01:56:59 AM »
Very pretty!  I might have to snag that one.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2010, 05:59:31 AM »
I'm snagging it right now.  Have a perfect lot to place it on.  Thanks for sharing!
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.