Author Topic: Sims 3 - How To: Saving folders/files to use on a different computer  (Read 25339 times)

Offline Machine1k

• Llama Wrangler
... Besides the save file?

I having been looking over all the web and their solutions are all over the place and I'm hoping I could get some clarification what what files I need to move also. 

I have some modes and I know to move those, but what else should go with and if I custom color and item will that pattern/color move to the new machine too?

Thanks much!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Sims 3 - How To: Saving Folders/Files
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
Sims 3 - How To: Saving Folders/Files

How-To: Save Folders and Files
Saving Issues - Lots and Game
Notes
Extra Information
Reference Links
Sims 3 Factory Reset (What & Howto)

How-To: Save Folders and Files:

Go to: (\Documents\Electronic Arts) - right-click on the Sims 3 folder and select Copy/Paste it to the desktop or a usb drive, external drive or any back up media of your choice.

What I like to do when saving my Sims 3 folder for backup purposes or to play on a different computer is to take the whole Sims 3 folder and save it to a USB stick and/or an external hard drive. You could also upload it to any cloud storage service you might have. Google Drive for example.

This way you won't loose any of your saved Sims, lots, mods, custom content, video/game options and other files and folders that are within the Sims 3 folder.

If you want/need to break it down even further than that. You just save the following folders and files:

*** The folders/files below will help with what to copy over to your new Sims 3 folder and want to play with your previous game saves and such.

Folders: -

- DC Backup - for this file = ccmerged.package.
- DCCache - Contains all installed Custom Content/Exchange/Store items that you installed through the Launcher.
- Downloads  - .Sims3Pack files to be installed.
- Exports - .Sims3Pack Files you export from the game via CAS or Edit Town.
- Installed Worlds - Custom or Store Towns you have installed.
- Library - Sims and lots that you've installed or saved.
- Mods - Mods and custom content
- Recorded Videos - Videos taken in-game using the V key.
- SavedSims - Saved Sims that are in the SimBin.
- Saves - Game Saves.
- Screenshots - Photos taken in-game using the C key.
- WorldCaches - Cache files for your installed custom and Store towns.

Files: -

* Options.ini - Game and Graphics Options
* userPresets.package - Saved colors, patterns and textures

If you would like to learn more about Sims 3 user files, please see the article on ModtheSims:
Game Help:TS3 User Folders Explained: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_User_Folders_Explained

Saving Issues - Lots and Game:

🟌🟌 If having issues saving lots or even saving your save-game.

Save the Sims 3 User Folder to Desktop:  I like to save my Sims 3 folder to the desktop, usb drive or external hard drive and then clean out the Sims 3 folder in Documents to help with troubleshooting. Go to: (Documents\Electronic Arts > right-click on the Sims 3 folder > copy/paste to desktop, usb drive or external hard drive.

Back in my current Sims 3 folder - (C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3) I like to delete the files that are in:

- CurrentGame.Sims3: If your game has crashed, it's a good idea to delete the contents of this folder. It is a backup of a previous save. Not really current.
- DCBackup: all files - except for the ccmerged.package file. The file helps your store and other .Sims3Pack files work properly when installed via the Sims 3 Launcher.
- DCCache: Delete the missingdeps.idx file to help possibly refresh broken store content. Or when I have problem CC that just won't delete. I delete all files in this folder. **Be aware you will need to reinstall all your custom and store content that are .Sims3Pack files.
- Downloads: These files can be removed from this folder after being installed.
- Exports: The files can be removed from this folder.
- Library: After you've got Sims and lots installed into your save, you can remove these files.
- Recorded Videos: The files in this folder can be removed.
- Saved Sims: The files in this folder can be removed after added to your save file.
- Saves: Keep only a few (a handful) current saves in the folder. The rest can be removed to help game performance.
- Screenshots: Can be removed.
- SigCache: Information about activities in EADM and the Store. Files will be created again, if deleted. -  platform.bin: Probably some info about your Computer/OS -- igs.bin: Login-Data for the store.
- Thumbnails: Cached thumbnail pics. Saved here for faster loading the next time you start your game. If you have any trouble with strange thumbnails ingame, delete these. They will be recreated next time you start the game, albeit a slightly slower game when it is first loaded, after the contents of this folder had been deleted.
- Sims3LauncherLogFile.log: This file tells you what happens when you try uploading/downloading to the Exchange. It might contain some useful info if you have trouble up- or downloading. - Safe to delete when troubleshooting.
- Sims3Logs.xml: A log file of your computer specs and some settings. Safe to delete from time to time.
- UserPresets.package: This file can be deleted from time to time. Specially if Create a Style is lagging. However, please remember any textures, colors saved will be removed from CAST.
- tslus.bin:Can be delete. Related to the Sims 3 Launcher. Not sure exactly what it does, but I've deleted it and game is okay.
- Version.tag:  Can be deleted. It helps with Sims 3 Launcher issues like Downloading/Installing.

I clean out my Sims 3 folder either before I start playing or just after I'm finished playing.

Notes:

When you copy all of these files and folders the game should have all store and custom content installed along with game settings and options and be ready to play.

However, it's a good idea to check over your mods and custom content at this time to make sure everything is running okay.

✽  If you're having issues with any .Sims3Pack files not working correctly, leave out the DCCache folder.  Reinstall any .sims3Pack files you have. This will help the game create new cache files for the installed content in the DCCache folder.

If you don't, you may run into the same issue of the store or custom content not working. Due to the files not being refreshed.

To help check over Mods and Custom Content in .package file format, see the troubleshooting tips post linked below:

Sims 3 - How-To: Fix Problems with Mods/CC
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=31759.msg506010#msg506010

If the store items have only been downloaded, then they should be in the downloads folder. If you've downloaded and installed store items, they should be stored in the DCCache folder.

Saved Sims, and lots can be found in the Exports folder, if you have saved them via CAS or the Edit Town menu.
C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Exports
C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SavedSims

Otherwise you can find them through the Library folder and in-game in the library via Edit Town.
C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library

Extra Information:

Sim Bin references the bin you save custom Sims to in CAS.

--- When in-game:

Click the Household tab to find Sims and families that are in their homes.

Click the Show Empty Houses tab to find any houses you've downloaded or saved to the library.

Click the Community Lot tab to find community lots.

Files with a star-like symbol on it are downloaded items.

Files with a folder-like symbol on them are in-game households, houses and community lots you've saved.

Reference Links:

How To: Save a Household
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=19060.msg356789#msg356789

How To: Save a House/Community Lots
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=19062.msg356791#msg356791

How To: Save Sims 3 Files From the Library (Exporting Files)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20751.msg380782#msg380782

How-To: Save Sims From the SimBin
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=31201.msg443042#msg443042

Sharing Sims 3 Files via the Library Folder
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=32055.msg509780#msg509780

============
============
Created: June. 2013
Updated: July. 2023
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Machine1k

• Llama Wrangler
Re: How To: Saving folders/files
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:56:07 PM »
Awesome, this was the exact guidance I was looking for!  I knew there we as more to it then what was out there on the rest of the web.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: How To: Saving folders/files
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 04:18:37 AM »
Sorry, I should have caught this six months ago.  I'm moving this to the Technical Help board.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."