Author Topic: Testing New Mods/CC in a Safe Way  (Read 24293 times)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Testing New Mods/CC in a Safe Way
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:21:35 AM »
There are several ways to make sure that the mods and custom content (CC) you install are safe for your game. Of course you can never be 100% sure, but by following these steps you can eliminate some potential problems.

1. Always remove all mods and CC when the game is patched.
CC can mostly be reintroduced right away unless it's CC that is also modded (ads game features and not just a new look). Mods are trickier, you should always check with the mod's creator if they are compatible with the new patch before using them or try them out in a test file before adding them to your game.

2. Create a separate game folder to try out new mods and CC in. 
This can be done through doing a factory reset like in the sims 3. Rename the "The Sims 4" folder to "The Sims 4 -old" and open the game. The game will generate a new "The Sims 4" folder that you can rename, "The Sims 4 - test file". You can now switch between the two files by renaming the one you want to play "The Sims 4".
Now you have a safe place to test new mods and CC. If worst comes to worst and you download something that messes up your test file, you can safely delete it and create a new one, and best of all, you never got the nasty stuff close to your real game files where they can do damage.

3. Always install 1 thing at a time (or a few things at a time) in a "newly added" sub-folder
Once you have a test file you can start adding mods and CC to your game. But to learn what mods and CC are good and what mods and CC are broken you need to know what you added and when. I recommend you create a folder inside your mods folder where you add the latest mods/CC. It is then easy to remove them one by one if things are acting up and trouble shooting is way easier for you.

4. Evaluate the source of the mod
  • Have you heard good things about this modder from different sources on the web? Do you know someone personally that have used this mod without any trouble. Are there people commenting on the mod and have the mod been updated since it was released? These are all questions you can ask yourself when looking at mods. If the answer is yes to these question chances are the modder knows his/her craft fairly well and that the mods s/he provides are good quality that won't mess with your game.
  • Also, when downloading mods the creator will often comment on how likely the need to update the mod with each patch is. This is so you can be aware that some mods are more sensitive to changes in the game than others. If a creator does not comment on how likely it is that you have to update the mod after a patch at all, I would call this an unreliable source for a mod. Most good modders are very aware of what will effect their products and warn their users if there is any chance their mod will need to be updated.

Tips for improved load time when you have a lot of cc
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=28624.msg467183#msg467183

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
Re: Testing new mods and CC in a safe way
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
These are great tips, SaltPastillen!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:07:11 PM »
That's great information, Saltpastillen, thank you!

For people who want some basic information on mods and CC I would recommend visiting Crinrict's Sims 4 Help Blog.

Crinrict is an active member of the sims community and devotes a lot of time and attention to compiling game bugs and work-arounds until EA fixes them.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
It's worth noting that, depending on the mod, most of them shouldn't be broken by patches.

Anything listed as a "core" mod likely will be. Objects, clothing, hair, etc... that should all be fine. :) (I've been having a read of the official mod creation document)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
It's worth noting that, depending on the mod, most of them shouldn't be broken by patches.

Anything listed as a "core" mod likely will be. Objects, clothing, hair, etc... that should all be fine. :) (I've been having a read of the official mod creation document)

I know, most mods will still work after a patch. But it's better to take it out while patching, and then adding them one by one to see if they work.

I wrote these tips mostly for those who are new to mods and CC, we veterans of CC and mods in the past all have little tips that might be useful for the new crop of CC and mod users out there.

Offline trickai

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
My question is what happens if you aren't aware of a patch, and the game updates automatically before you can remove anything?

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
Yeeeeah. Origin doesn't generally tell you there is a patch.

You just open it up and it downloads. I -think- there's an option to turn that off so it'll warn you instead.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
My question is what happens if you aren't aware of a patch, and the game updates automatically before you can remove anything?

You can turn off the automatic updates if you go to Application Settings. It's a box to un-tick under General. If you do you need to make sure you can check if the game needs to be updated. I don't know if there is such a feature yet. In ts3 you could disable auto-updates in the launcher but it would still inform you if there was an update to install.

What happens if you have an incompatible mod in your game is usually that the game won't start at all, that is crashes in strange ways it hasn't before, or that there are some bad graphics glitches. So, if you don't remove your mods - just check your game after an update.

Also, when downloading mods the creator will often comment on how likely the need to update the mod with each patch is. This is so you can be aware that some mods are more sensitive to changes in the game than others. If a creator does not comment on how likely it is that you have to update the mod after a patch at all, I would call this an unreliable source for a mod. Most good modders are very aware of what will effect their products and warn their users if there is any chance their mod will need to be updated.

Offline kearn76

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
You can turn off the automatic updates if you go to Application Settings. It's a box to un-tick under General. If you do you need to make sure you can check if the game needs to be updated.

Is this in the Sims 4 game itself, or in the Origin launcher somewhere?  I haven't been able to find it.  In Sims 4 I find 'game options' with a 'general tab', but nothing about auto-updating.   :o  I must be missing something obvious, please help!?

Karen

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »

Is this in the Sims 4 game itself, or in the Origin launcher somewhere?  I haven't been able to find it.  In Sims 4 I find 'game options' with a 'general tab', but nothing about auto-updating.   :o  I must be missing something obvious, please help!?

Karen

It's in Origin (roll down menu that says origin), under Application Settings. Sorry this wasn't clear.

Offline kearn76

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
It's in Origin (roll down menu that says origin), under Application Settings. Sorry this wasn't clear.

Found it - Thanks! 

Offline fivine

• Goofball
  • Townie
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »
3. Always install 1 thing at a time (or a few things at a time) in a "newly added" sub-folder

sadly this is not possible for script mods which have to be placed directly in the mod folder.

For other mods (simple .package files) check that you don't create or have  sub-folder in this newly added sub-folder as it will not work too.

Offline Adz

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 02:47:47 AM »
I downloaded lots from The Sims Resource and when I'm about to apply it on The Sims 4, it always says "System Error", is there a way to fix this?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »
You may need to go to TSR Support page Link here to get help with the custom content and/or error messages coming from their site. They know more about their custom content and can better help solve download issues. :)

I downloaded lots from The Sims Resource and when I'm about to apply it on The Sims 4, it always says "System Error", is there a way to fix this?
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *