Author Topic: Household Skills Project Mk 3  (Read 13763 times)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: Household Skills Project Mk 3
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2015, 04:53:49 AM »
Ama emerged unscathed after her night in the Cursed Sarcophagus of the Kings, merely feeling oddly powerful and with an athletic skill to match her sister’s – but maybe she should sleep in her bed in future.  (In fact, I had to put the sarcophagus into the family inventory because they all seemed to be irresistibly attracted to it.  I’d have thought a comfortable bed would be a far more appealing sleeping place.)

Lara was determined to prepare herself thoroughly for any future encounters with mummies, working out whenever she got the chance and, on their next trip to China, visiting the Academy to start learning martial arts.

Ama had registered as a self-employed photographer just after her teen birthday and less than a week later she reached the top of the career.

There wasn’t much point in continuing with schooling.  Lara was close to ageing up anyway and Ama joined in with the early birthday cake.

Those are Lara’s work clothes, by the way – she’d rolled a wish to get a part-time job and so was temporarily working at the mausoleum.  The girl behind Ama, on the left of the screenshot, is a babysitter who’d been called to look after Fleur several days before.  She was asked to hang out so that Ama could get the ‘Babysitter’ photo and had somehow failed to go home again.

Both girls had chosen their lifetime wishes long before and Lara was looking as though she’d finish hers pretty quickly.  She’d already explored six tombs in Egypt and six in China with her father.  Now she took a solo trip to France to polish off the final six.  Except it wasn’t that easy.  By this stage, the game was getting pretty buggy from all of the travelling and it hit Lara in a very big way.  After her first day in France, she was no longer able to do anything in tombs other than ‘use stairs’, even when there weren’t any.  Research online showed that this isn’t that unusual a bug, even though I hadn’t seen it before, and suggested that the first day of any given trip was likely to be OK, even if the Sim was affected by the glitch otherwise.  So Lara cut short her holiday, went home to recover from the travelling and then back to France as soon as the moodlet had faded.  With the aid of a teleporter in their holiday home, she rushed around getting to the final room of various tombs as fast as possible and managed to complete the sixth before the day was over.

Marco was fast approaching his elder birthday and still hadn’t completed his own lifetime wish.  He was having a real problem with the James Vaughan Command Centre: the family who lived in the house above were always out until late at night, even though they had young children, and then insisted it was too late to visit when they did come home.  It took two trips to Egypt just to catch them in – and then Marco couldn’t find one of the codes.  He’d used the loo and turned on the stereo but where was the book with the final number?

Maybe I’d remembered the wrong bookcase….  No, there only seemed to be one.  Finally, after pausing the game for an inordinately long time, it occurred to me that Marco might not be able to interact with the bookcase because it only contained basic skill books and he was a pretty skilled Sim by this point.  Fortunately, Ama was along on this trip, getting another set of Egyptian photos, since her original ones had forgotten where they’d been taken as soon as she arrived back home.  I sent her over to the house and, yes, there were skill books in the bookcase that she could read – and, in the first one she picked up, the missing code.  Now Marco could start exploring the tomb.

Or not, as it turned out.  The family decided that Ama was acting inappropriately and kicked them both out.  And then it was too late to visit again.  And then the family went back to being out all the time.  And then Marco’s visa ran out.

Finally, on his next visit, he was able to complete the tomb and continue with the adventure chain.  After that, he whizzed through the remaining tombs, picking up his final visa level and achieving his lifetime wish on the way.

(I didn’t managed to get a screenshot of the big numbers over his head, because there was a pop-up about the next stage of the adventure in the way.)

The day after his return home, Marco aged up to elder and, immediately afterwards, Grim came for Crystal.

(You’ll notice that Marco, like his twin, tended to revert to minionhood when he aged up.)

I wasn’t sorry to lose Crystal.  She and Marco had never managed to repair their marriage.  Their relationship bar was still maxed out, thanks to Marco’s charisma challenges, but they acted as though they were only acquaintances.  And then there was her other odd behaviour. In the last few days of her life, Crystal had taken to wandering to the front edge of the lot and just standing there – for hours, if I didn’t notice and tell her to do something else.  Sometimes she needed resetting.  Given the number of things I was trying to do in this house, I was quite glad not to have to keep an eye on her any more.

Time passed.  Inigo and Fleur aged up to teen and were both taken travelling by their dad.  Fleur spent most of her trip to France either photosynthesising…

…or hanging out with plants in Tuatha’s Garden and the cellars of the Landgraab château.

Soon after her return, Fleur reached an ‘A’ in school and took the chance to overtake her elder brother.

She chose the Bottomless Nectar Cellar LTW…

…and achieved it at once, thanks to the venerable vintages Marco had collected in his travels.

The entire cellar was sold immediately thereafter.  I wasn’t sure whether the existing bottles would count towards the self-employed nectar-making career but I wanted Fleur to do it on her own anyway.

Fleur turned out to have inherited the mascot trait, even though she’s not genetically related to Crystal and Marco.

That costume looks really odd with a green face  :-\.

The morning after her birthday, she went down to the cellar and started on her new skill.

Ama was still trying to complete her supermax and lifetime wish.  I’d thought, in my out-of-date Simming innocence, that ‘Pleading to the Sphinx’ would be the only tricky shot in the ‘Sims in Motion’ collection.  Wrong.  Last time I tried it, rifling through bins was dead easy.  I assume it was the University patch that took it back to where it was in the early days of Sims 3, when only police, journalists and private eyes could do it.  Well, if dumpster diving had become something you did in actual dumpsters, maybe they’d also updated the requirement for the photo.…  No, apparently not.  I got several family members to try but ‘Dumpster Diving’ failed to register on Ama’s camera.  OK, then, why not put someone into a job where searching through bins was desirable?  So Lara became an investigator.

It seemed to take a long time to get a suitable case but, in the meantime, she was asked to investigate an outbreak of hacking by her Aunt Chi.  It was nice to see her again.

Finally, a case required searching a bin and mailbox for clues.  I called Ama over… and nothing happened.  Again, the photo was only ‘Family Member’.  Once that stage of the job was finished, I randomly tried clicking on the neighbours’ bin to see whether Lara could interact with it.  She could.

And the photo registered!  Ama now only needed two more shots to complete the collection and her supermax.

Marco had now completed all of the tombs in the game apart from the Dragon Cave.  Repeated visits to Shang Simla hadn’t improved the situation – the assorted locals who became the target Sim still insisted he had to go to China to continue the quest even though he was already there.  I sent the whole family on holiday there again and this time, I used testing cheats.  After all, Marco and Lara had completed their lifetime wishes – it was only my desire for completeness that was keeping the explorations going.  So I went into Edit Town and put an unlocked door next to the locked one.  Marco finished the tomb in a few hours – although he continued to be plagued by phone calls from Chinese Sims inviting him to travel out there and continue the quest.

With everything explored, Marco returned to the family’s holiday home to spend time with his children – and maybe with a few other people as well.  He was showing signs of turning into the Merry Widower, chatting up every attractive female in town and providing Ama with several missing romantic photos.  He’d already acquired a naughty reputation thanks to the flirtatious relic dealer in Al Simhara, so maybe he thought he should just make the most of it.

One evening, the garden suddenly acquired a cheap fireplace and a pile of rugs, which soon needed the attentions of a brave Sim.

‘Fighting Fire’ was the last shot that Ama needed.

Although I have had a couple of other Sims who have supermaxed photography, this was the first time that I’ve managed to get all five challenges to register simultaneously, so I had to take a screenshot.  :D

After clearing up the mess, I left them mostly on free will for a few days.   I felt they (and I) deserved a break.  Then the unexpected happened again.  I’d had the camera on Inigo, who was taking photos at the Academy, when the view suddenly panned back across town to their holiday home.  It was Marco.  Just like his big sister, he seemed to have spent too long diving – and now it was too late for a rescue.  Grim was already on the lot.  Making the best of a terrible situation, I told Inigo to teleport home at once.  Ama was already there.  And so they became my first Sims to successfully snap ‘Death on Vacation’.

Depressed, I sent the survivors home immediately afterwards, only to find that another bug had bitten.  I could see them arriving home.  I could see Lara playing Gnubb and Fleur tending the garden but I couldn’t look inside the house.  In fact, they were no longer the active family.  Nor was anyone else.

After a few restarts and no improvement, I concluded that the death of the Sim who’d booked the holiday had probably messed up the whole travelling mechanism and that the only thing to do was to go back to an earlier save, before Marco had drowned.

This time, I fenced off the pool.

All of the travelling, as well as bloating the file to a ridiculous extent (after two generations, it was bigger than most of my dynasties), caused quite a few glitches.  The family tree got totally messed up at one point: Inigo was the only one of the kids that still registered as the offspring of both parents.  Lara was now unrelated to Crystal, while Fleur was recorded as Crystal’s daughter rather than Marco's.  Poor Ama was unrelated to anyone else, which was genetically accurate but didn’t reflect the emotional reality.  Laura had disappeared from the family tree altogether, while Damien was suddenly a resident of Champs les Sims, which he’d never even visited.  I used Master Controller Cheats to correct most of the errors but was unable to sort out Damien’s nationality or to rescue Laura from oblivion.

Possibly the oddest effect was on the imaginary friends.  Riverview had been an IF-free zone until Inigo was born but both he and Fleur were sent dolls by obscure relatives.  Inigo’s doll became a fully-fledged IF as soon as he aged up to child, mostly because I wanted to try to complete the Generations photo collection…

…but when he travelled for the first time, Puzzle became just a doll again – and a second IF doll appeared in his inventory.  By moving time, he had four of them.  Fleur’s doll, Pat, had remained just a doll – but when she came back from France, Fleur found she had an almost-real imaginary friend, called Buddy.

Pat was still in inventory and was later joined by another doll.  All very odd.

And is this a Chinese imaginary friend?  She’s just a random Sim the family met in Shang Simla but that hair colour looks very IF-like.

Offline Alex

• Occult
Re: Household Skills Project Mk 3: updated 23 May
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:43 AM »
I often have that problem with IF dolls getting replaced - usually after travel, and occasionally completely random  :-\ Annoying, isn't it?

Where's Ama's teen dress from? So pretty!

< br/>
Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »
I often have that problem with IF dolls getting replaced - usually after travel, and occasionally completely random  :-\ Annoying, isn't it?

Very.  I like IFs but often feel they're more trouble than they're worth.

Where's Ama's teen dress from? So pretty!

Island Paradise.  It's available from teen to elder and is one of my favourites.

Offline Alex

• Occult
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »
Very.  I like IFs but often feel they're more trouble than they're worth.

Me too - simbots as well.

Island Paradise.  It's available from teen to elder and is one of my favourites.

Oh :( I thought it probably was, and I don't have that one.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »
Wow! Kudos to you on sticking to the challenge despite all of those nasty bugs and glitches.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2015, 02:57:07 AM »
Me too - simbots as well.

I've hardly played with SimBots - most of my inventor Sims have been members of dynasties and so had to release them into the wild at once.  Apart from the Twinbrook ghosts, I've nearly always played with human Sims.  Experimenting with other life states is one of the things I wanted to do with this project.

Wow! Kudos to you on sticking to the challenge despite all of those nasty bugs and glitches.

Thanks :).  It really was the buggiest household ever.  I thought I was going to have to give up on the game a couple of times, which would have been quite upsetting, ten generations in.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
At the second attempt, the Haskills managed to finish off their Chinese break uneventfully.  Shortly after arriving home, Lara moved out.  I was realising that there was still a lot to do in this house and time was running out.  I really needed to concentrate on the family members who still had things to do.

Fleur was progressing well with the nectar-making skill but had only completed Mix Master of the challenges.  So I divided up the garden: grapes on one side, to be tended by Fleur, and everything else on the other, for Marco to look after.

With help from a gardening station and flagrant moodlet manager abuse, Fleur was making good progress towards Vizard of Vine.

Inigo had his young adult birthday and was given hydrophobic as his last trait – I wasn’t going to risk losing another heir.

And then the game crashed.

Back to teenaged Inigo.  Back to mad grape harvesting.  Rinse and repeat.  Rather a lot.

Eventually, I realised that the crashes were always caused by Marco or Fleur trying to get through the other’s garden gate, resetting and then becoming unresponsive.  So the fence in the middle of the garden was deleted, along with a lot of high-quality plants, both gates were unlocked and Marco moved out into the bungalow once occupied by his mother.

Fleur harvested and squished lots of grapes, reached level ten…

…and, a surprisingly short time afterwards, supermaxed.

Now all that was left was her career.  Although some of her grape recipes were high-valued, they probably wouldn’t be enough.  So I switched her over to pomegranate and life fruit and turned my attention to Ama, who had changed somewhat since her return from Shang Simla.

(I’d put the sarcophagus in her room – which was, appropriately enough, the Egyptian Room – since she had effectively finished her requirements and I needed a mummy in the family somewhere.  It didn’t take any encouragement: she happily ignored her bed and slept in the sarcophagus instead.)

Now that Fleur was on the last lap, I emptied Ama’s camera and hung all of the photos in the sub-basement, where the collection had been growing since shortly after Marco moved in.  I kept stopping, camera on Ama, waiting for the numbers to appear over her head.  Nothing.  I’d kept the photos sorted by location, so it was relatively easy to check through and see what the problem was.  The value must have been way in excess of the requirement but somehow there were only nine photos that registered as being from Al Simhara – and only six from Champs les Sims.

So Ama-the-mummy took two more solo holidays, snapping considerably more pictures than should have been needed – which was just as well.  In the end, her lifetime wish was completed with something like fifteen photos from each location.

Suddenly, moving day was in sight.  I sold off the cellar again and Fleur got to level ten of her career, although, sadly, yet another glitch meant that she missed out on her trophy.  Inigo (still in random clothes and hair, since I’d got fed up of doing his YA make-over repeatedly) found some more oddments in the chest…

…and constructed another sarcophagus.

After sleeping inside for two whole days(!), Ama emerged, returned to her old self.  Well, almost.

She and Fleur moved out together…

…Inigo got his somewhat delayed new look…

…and he also moved house.

Three large tombstones were left behind in Riverview: Damien, Laura and Crystal.  Chi died shortly before the move, and had also earned a large tombstone, but it disappeared from inventory almost as soon as Ama collected it.  The twins were both still alive.

The family had also amassed a pretty impressive set of collections, which were left behind in an attempt to reduce the excessive file size:

the Chinese Tomb Symbols and the Chinese Vases,

the Egyptian Tomb Sigils and the Gold Figurines,

the Canopic Jars and the French Tomb Signets,

the Dangerous Creatures,

the Zodiac Animals…

the Dropa Stones...

…and Marco’s certificates of partnership with all three destinations.

They also collected all of the beetles from the base game and WA, plus a plasma bug from UL…

…and all of the base game/WA butterflies.

As well as collecting, the family (and especially Crystal) experimented extensively with transfiguration.

Large ingots:

Compendium   Woohooium   Supernovium
                                                                          Iridium  Titanium   Platinum   Gold
                                                                            Copper   Mummitomium   Iron
                                                                      Plutonium   Palladium   Silver   Mercury

Large skull-cut gems:

Amethyst    Topaz    Ruby    Quartz
                                                                            Alabaster  Tiberium  Tanzanite
                                                         Opal   Rainbow Gem   Pink Diamond   Septarian Nodule

Yellow Sapphire   Turquoise  Geode  Soulpeace
                                                                         Jade   Luminorious Gem   Citrine
                                                             Lapis Lazuli  Smoky Quartz   Diamond   Emerald

(Fluorite will have to wait until later, along with gems and metals from later expansions – they only have two cut fluorite gems so far.)

House 10 summary
Skills: photography  and nectar-making

Marco
 LTW: Seasoned Traveller
Supermaxed gardening; level 10 athletic, martial arts, charisma, photography, handiness, collecting and homework (and 16 skill challenges completed, together with all of the challenges in the Adventure Journal).
He was also by far the happiest member of the family to date – when he moved out he had almost 600,000 happiness points, most of them unspent.

Crystal
(Traits: flirty, commitment issues, daredevil, clumsy, party animal, kleptomaniac – yes, she arrived with six traits.  I suppose it makes sense, given that she was already a level 9 jock.)
LTW: Private Museum
Level 10 photography (and Gnubb)

Lara
Traits: athletic, brave, photographer’s eye, adventurous, disciplined
LTW: Great Explorer
Level 10 photography, athletic and martial arts

Inigo
Traits: artistic, good, photographer’s eye, charismatic, hydrophobic
Level 10 photography
Career to be finished started  ;) in next house.
LTW to be finished in next house.
Building/property: Sunflower Spa
Unique rewards: Inappropriate but in a Good Way, Body Sculptor

Ama
Traits: (artistic, ambitious, photographer’s eye), evil, childish
Career: Photographer
LTW: World-Class Gallery
Supermaxed photography
I needn’t have worried so much about Shutternut, as it turned out.  Ama eventually completed eight collections: Plants & Flowers, Architecture & Buildings, Animal Kingdom, Still Life, Sims in Motion, Travel, Everyday Moments and Collectables (with help from a mod to correct the faulty code that stops the Dropa Stones collection from registering).

Fleur
Traits: (friendly, couch potato), neat, green thumb, natural cook
Career: Nectar Maker
LTW: Bottomless Nectar Cellar
Supermaxed gardening and nectar-making

< br/>
Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: Household Skills Project Mk 3: updated 31 May
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »

Marco was an amazing Sim; really easy to look after (when he wasn't unexpectedly drowning, that is  ::)) and with an endless enthusiasm for learning new things.  He also completed all of the adventure challenges - I've just gone back and edited that in.  The rest of the family weren't bad, either - although I intend to take it easy with a small family in the next house.  This one did get pretty manic at times.

I realised on re-reading that I'd somehow lost the screenshot of the Dropa Stones.  I was really proud of them, too: this was the first time I'd managed to complete the collection.  I've now added the pic, along with a better-lit screenshot of the beetles.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
House 11

Inigo arrived in Sunset Valley and joined his chosen profession at last.  Since I wasn’t in a building mood, he moved into a slightly adapted version of Linden’s house from the previous attempt.

He immediately started working on ideas to improve it.

His drawing skills were excellent but he definitely needed a lot more practice with a paintbrush  :P.

One of the nice things about playing in Sunset Valley after a long break is seeing what all the old familiar Sims are getting up to.  Inigo went to the park in search of potential spouses and I noticed that Jamie Jolina had acquired a family of horses, which must have been quite hard to cope with in her little house…

…and the senior Clavells were as devoted as ever, despite Buster’s new scales.

NPCs, though, were notably absent.  Still, he was only a young adult and I didn’t intend him to have a large family.  He could concentrate on his career for now and find a wife later.

Except that, as his adult birthday approached, he still hadn’t met anyone.  I took to spending a lot of time roaming around the map while he was painting and eventually noticed something.  I thought I’d removed all of the Showtime lots, because they were occupying several of my favourite building plots.  It seemed I’d missed one, though.  There was still a Performance Park.  I dragged Inigo away from his drawing board and sent him over to look for the proprietor.

It was Narcissa Vatos – and Inigo was immediately smitten, to my considerable relief.  Before long, they were watching the stars together.

The following morning, instead of talking to clients or sketching out new furnishing ideas, he went back to the park to carry on from where they’d left off.

Then he asked her to move in.

I normally like to leave the Sunset Valley townies looking like themselves (with the obvious exception of Agnes) but Narcissa’s dress is so unflattering that it had to go.

After her makeover, she stayed on at the salon to join the stylist profession.  She wasn’t altogether happy at first – she really wanted to be a five-star chef.

The original plan for this household was for one of Inigo’s children to become the stylist but Narcissa, friendly schmoozer that she was, seemed like a good match for the career.  Of course, that did mean I’d be playing two professions at once, which wasn’t quite the relaxing game I’d had in mind.  In fact, it worked out reasonably well – Inigo could build his performance by ignoring jobs for now and working on his painting skill instead, while Narcissa drove around Sunset Valley making over the populace.

Some more sympathetically than others.  Thornton Wolff, a notably picky but oddly frequent customer, started off with a minor hair recolour and slightly different suit, which he hated, but became more bizarre-looking with each makeover.  Oddly, he quite liked some of his more outrageous outfits.

In the evenings, Narcissa joined Inigo in the studio and worked on design ideas.

Career-wise, they were both doing well but I felt their relationship needed a nudge.  So they ignored their clients for a day and went out on a date instead.  After a romantic meal at the bistro, Inigo proposed.

The wedding took place on the following Sunday, the only day of the week when they were both off work.

The honeymoon was mostly spent in their studio.  (In fact, they both sneaked off there even before the guests had left and I found them companionably painting in their wedding finery.  They did eventually get ‘first woohoo’ wishes – but not until their current artworks were finished  ::).)

Inigo maxed the painting skill and achieved his lifetime wish the day after the wedding…

..which was also his adult birthday.

He promptly threw a midlife crisis wish to grow a beard.  Narcissa was only too keen to contribute styling advice.

Just before returning to work, he became a Dictator of Design.

Now he could make a serious start on the renovations…

…and he and Narcissa could start a family.

I don’t think the mayor was impressed by Inigo’s new facial hair  ;D.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: Household Skills Project Mk 3: updated 31 July
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
The mayor was certainly not impressed with Inigo's facial fair. That face said it all.

Offline Alex

• Occult
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:35 PM »
I love their painting room - and the mayor's face. She may have a point about that beard :D

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »
The mayor was certainly not impressed with Inigo's facial fair. That face said it all.
I love their painting room - and the mayor's face. She may have a point about that beard :D

Believe it or not, I actually thought the beard looked pretty good in CAS  :-[.  From the front, it suits his face.  Pretty silly from the side, though (but then, lots of the beards look daft from the side - I hate the way the fuller beards don't meet up with their hair unless you choose exactly the right combination of styles).

The painting room is a revamp of Linden's dogs' room, using all of the lovely arty bits and pieces from UL.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
Inigo and Narcissa’s daughter was born at home.  They named her Harmony.

Even as a toddler, the resemblance to her mother was striking.  She’d inherited the Haskill hair but otherwise was a little clone of Narcissa.

She was very much a mummy’s girl – which was probably inevitable, given that Inigo was spending most of his days rushing around Sunset Valley carrying out renovations.  His achievements were recognised with a second presentation at City Hall.

(He was my first architect to earn the empirical building model.)

Harmony had another birthday…

…and started school, leaving Narcissa free to resume her career as a stylist.  In quick succession, she reached level 10 of painting…

…and became a Fashion Phenomenon.

Inigo aged up to elder and retired.

Now he’d stay at home, painting and doing the housework, while Narcissa took her turn as the darling of Sunset Valley.

Harmony grew up into a somewhat unusual teenager.  She was voted prom queen, despite having only just started high school and turning up to the event in her workout clothes, which included rather interesting tights (aka mermaid scales – they somehow turned up as an option in CAS, despite her human life state and I thought they suited her.  When I changed my mind they were no longer a CAS option, which means she’s probably stuck with scaly-legged athletic clothes for the rest of her life :P).

As the heir presumptive, she learned the basics of several useful survival skills…

…but, like her parents, she was happiest in front of an easel.

Towards the end of Harmony’s teens, Narcissa, now an elder, was summoned to City Hall again, to be presented with a Dazzling Looking Glass.

On her next day at work, she reached fifty makeovers.  She gracefully accepted her award ribbon and then retired to spend more time flirting with Inigo.

It was looking as though Harmony might become the first heir to move on her young adult birthday, since Inigo had unexpectedly supermaxed painting during his retirement and she was rapidly approaching level ten.   Then I noticed their age bars.  Harmony was due to age up on the same day that Inigo would hit 90 – and he still needed a graduation photo to compete the Generations collection (plus, he had a wish to see his only child graduate).

So Harmony had an early cake.

She graduated as valedictorian – but also Most Likely to Offend Others.  I wish I’d been able to hear her speech  :-\.

She’d chosen her lifetime wish and had joined her career as a teen, so there was nothing left for her to do in this house but carry on painting until she maxed the skill.

Right on cue (sorry  :-[), Inigo passed away at 90 days.

Since he was in the games room anyway, Grim took the opportunity to have a go at table football…

…at least, until Harmony gave him an earful about inappropriate behaviour.

Despite grieving for her father, Harmony carried on painting and, less than a day later, had reached level ten.

It was time for another move.

House 11 summary
Skill: painting

Inigo
Career: Architectural Designer

LTW: Visionary
Supermaxed painting; level 10 photography, charisma and handiness (also Gnubb and homework)
Photo collections completed: Collectables, Around Town,  Architecture and Buildings, Home Sweet Home, Still Life, Generations.

Narcissa
(Traits: friendly, flirty, lucky, schmoozer, virtuoso)
Career: Stylist

LTW: Fashion Phenomenon
Level 10 painting

Harmony
Traits: artistic, virtuoso, insane, perfectionist, avant garde
Career and LTW to be finished in next house
Level 10 painting
Building/property: Llama Memorial Stadium
Unique rewards: Extra Creative, Perfect Host

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: Household Skills Project Mk 3: updated 27 January
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
Glad you're still working on this story, Hazel!

She graduated as valedictorian – but also Most Likely to Offend Others.  I wish I’d been able to hear her speech

I definitely would have wanted to hear her speech too. I'm sure it would have actually been pretty entertaining.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: Household Skills Project Mk 3: updated 27 January
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
Yes, I'm still working on it.  It keeps getting sidelined in favour of other projects but it's still there in the background.  I'm currently struggling with construction of the next house (modern architecture is definitely not my strong point as a builder), so I'm not sure how long it'll be until the next update.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
House 12

Harmony said goodbye to her mother and drove down the hill into town.

Pinochle Point might have suited her parents but she wanted to be somewhere more central.  As the daughter of an architect, she also wanted a house that made a statement.  (Possibly one that said 'I am insane but extremely rich'  ;).)  So she bought an interestingly sloping plot of land and had the existing house demolished and a new one built in its place.

She bought a guitar, so that she could make a start on the second half of her lifetime wish, and then started looking for a husband.

Playing in the park failed to attract any NPCs, although she did add considerably to her number of friends.  She gave up for the night and went home to bed.

The next morning, the post arrived and she rushed out to meet the (clearly male) person who’d delivered it.  She quite liked whatever-his-name-was but he had awful traits and appeared to be a full adult already.  Ideally, I’d like her to marry someone younger.  Maybe keep him as a reserve…

There was a SimFest at Performance Park that afternoon.  She met the grown-up paperboy Skip Javeed (seen inexplicably onstage talking to the current contestant in the screenshot below) and a singer she very much liked, but both of those NPC types were already represented in the family tree :(.

Over the next few days, she wandered rather desperately all over Sunset Valley.  A tattooist seemed like a reasonable match but, unfortunately, when she visited the salon, the tattooist turned out to be Milton Tong, who was both old and prematurely underground, with only his walking stick visible.

At last, she met someone.  The One, in fact.  An Egyptian tourist, the internationally-named Cartier Sawalha, was doing nothing very much at Summer Hill Springs… and, for once, “Caught anything?” made perfect sense as a conversational gambit.

Cartier was, like the postman, apparently already an adult but he had great traits (virtuoso, handy and a great kisser).  He was pretty obviously also evil but I could live with that.  And, more to the point, Harmony fancied the pants off him.

Within the hour, he had moved in.

His fifth trait turned out to be neat.  Better and better.

Oh.  :o :(

Cartier was only three days away from elder.  So much for my plans for a small but well-spaced family in this house.  Still, he was a good match for Harmony in every other way.  I’d just have to speed up the programme a bit.

By the end of the day, Harmony was pregnant.

Despite his evil nature, Cartier wanted to make an honest woman of her at once.  Harmony took a little longer to come round to the idea but eventually she agreed to a romantic private wedding at the beach.

That evening, the bride, still in her wedding dress, was admitted to hospital with abdominal pain and came out, unexpectedly, with twin boys.

No sooner had they got the babies settled into their new cots than Cartier started sparkling.

Yep, an eventful day all round.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »
Riff and Chad became toddlers and proved that Narcissa’s genes are nearly as persistent as Arlo’s, although there was a hint that Cartier’s very wide nose might have been added into the mix :(.

(Riff on the left, Chad on the right)

Once Harmony had taught them the basic skills, they were free to spend the rest of their preschool life playing…

…while their parents provided the soundtrack.

Cartier had arrived with the Hit Movie Composer LTW but it seemed unlikely that he’d have time to complete it.  Shortly after the twins were born, he was able to change it to the much more doable Golden Tongue, Golden Fingers.  While Harmony ran the house and family, he concentrated on skilling – and achieved his wish on the twins’ next birthday.

Artistic Chad wished to learn painting as soon as he aged up.

Riff carried on playing.  Whenever he could, he dragged Chad away from his easel to join in the games.

With Cartier now free to share the housework and the boys able to look after themselves, Harmony had more time to practise the guitar.

She and Cartier often played for tips in town.  They had no need at all for the money but kept wishing to make more anyway  ::).

Narcissa, who must have been well past ninety, came to watch her daughter one evening (or maybe to admire some of her odder makeovers of surviving townies).  That was the last time I saw her – she died a day or two later  :'(.

Harmony maxed guitar and completed her lifetime wish shortly before the twins aged up to teens.

It seemed like a good time to add to the family.  Cartier was in his late eighties by this point, so they’d better hurry.

The boys had their birthdays…

…and Harmony celebrated by going into labour.  Cartier had been wishing for a daughter since Harmony had told him she was pregnant, so she’d been gorging on watermelon.  Very late in her pregnancy, she decided she also wanted a girl.  They got their wish.

Cartier had never seemed all that bothered about his sons but he was obsessed with Melody.  Since her mother and brothers were also keen to feed, change and cuddle her, there was a lot of queuing and foot-stamping around her cot.

Cartier didn’t have much time with his adored little daughter.  Three days after her birth, he started sparkling while loading the dishwasher.

It was Prom night.  The boys still went but I don’t think they enjoyed it much.

While they were away, Melody had her first birthday.

Riff wasn’t a teenager for long.  As soon as he’d reached an A in school, he had an early cake.

Or tried to.

I’d never noticed before that cake fires start on the floor below the table  ???.  It spread horribly quickly, while the family panicked and I wished I’d made one of them brave and/or installed a fire alarm in the living room.

Even after Harmony called the firefighters, they still took ages to arrive.

With the blaze finally extinguished, the carpet cleaned and the (surprisingly few) burnt items replaced, Riff tried again.  This time, he aged up uneventfully.  Well, unless you count his young adult look.

It’d be quite hard to think of a style less suited to a future rocker :D.

He ran off to the mirror and dresser to sort out something more appropriate.

I think he turned out quite well, considering.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
While Riff started learning the guitar (at last!) Chad carried on working on his street art and rebel credentials.

He was still devoted to his little sister, spending every unsupervised moment playing with her.

A few days after his twin’s birthday, Chad became a level ten rebel and was ready for his own cake.

He went right back to defacing the walls.

He became Street Credible (and simultaneously supermaxed the skill) before his first shift as an art appraiser.

Melody also had a birthday.

She became a diva, which put a strain on her relationship with hot-headed Chad.  They never quite reached the point of fighting but there were at least two or three heated arguments every day.  Somehow, they always made it up afterwards and remained best friends.

Harmony’s career as a painter had been on hold since the last house move; she’d been at level eight for ages.  Now she put her guitar away and returned to her easels.  Shortly before her elder birthday, she sold her final masterpiece and reached level ten.

I can’t remember any other artist Sim taking anything like as long to max their career.

With the rest of the family all needing a lot of watcherly attention, Mel’s childhood was largely ignored.  It came as quite a surprise when she aged up again.

She inherited Cartier’s old acoustic guitar and played it every night between homework and bedtime…

…although she seemed to despair of ever being as good as her big brother.

Harmony didn’t quite live long enough to see her youngest child graduate.  I’m pretty sure she’s the first Haskill to fail to make it to ninety.  She seemed happy to go anyway.

Less than a day after her mother’s death, Mel became a young adult.

Like Chad, she graduated as valedictorian (but also Most likely to Burn Down Her Own House.  Her clumsy trait, presumably.  In fact, she was very unlikely to do that – a day or two before her teen birthday, she’d rolled a wish to buy a blocks table and had been addicted to the handiness skill ever since.  Maybe it was a hidden trait passed down from her handy father.  Whatever the reason, guitar practice and upgrading appliances were pretty much tied for first place in her affections – and all of the fireplaces were now fireproof.)

Life went on quietly for a while but then everything seemed to happen at once.  First, Riff became a Rock Star.

Chad maxed his career the following day.  As soon as he’d fulfilled a wish to max the painting skill, he moved out to the old Crumplebottom house.

Riff was asked to compete in his third guitar contest at the theatre.  I was pretty sure it was his tenth opportunity (but then, I’d thought that about the previous two :(.)  He arrived early and filled in the time by playing for tips.

Despite his audience’s apparent lack of interest, it was enough to take him over §25000, to complete the Money Maker challenge – and winning the contest did make him a Guitar Star.  He was overjoyed ::):

That same evening, Mel was given a work opportunity to travel to Egypt and learn about the local musical traditions.  Clearly, they’d lost the notes that Riff had made when he’d done the same thing a couple of weeks earlier.

Quite a few of my Sims have done this opportunity but I can’t remember seeing this response before ;):

With her research completed, Mel spent the rest of her visit playing for tips in the marketplace.

Shortly after her arrival back in Sunset Valley, Riff completed his supermax…

…and, a few hours later, Mel reached level ten of guitar.

She delayed her move for a day, so that she could cash in the credit for her Egyptian trip and join the symphonic branch of the music career.  Then she and Riff placed the family gravestones in the cemetery…

(From left to right: Inigo, Narcissa, Harmony and Cartier)

..and she drove out of town.

House 12 summary
Skills: guitar and street art

Harmony
Career: Painter
LTW: Master of the Arts
Supermaxed painting; level 10 guitar and street art

Cartier
(Traits: (virtuoso, handy, great kisser, evil, neat)
LTW: Golden Tongue, Golden Fingers
Level 10 guitar, charisma and handiness

Riff
Traits: virtuoso, heavy sleeper, rebellious, dramatic, party animal
Career: Music (Rock)
LTW: Rock Star
Supermaxed guitar

Chad
Traits: artistic, heavy sleeper, rebellious, avant garde, vehicle enthusiast (rebel), hot-headed
Career: Art Appraisal (Appraisal)
LTW: Street Credible
Supermaxed street art; level 10 painting

Melody
Traits: virtuoso, absent-minded, diva, hopeless romantic, clumsy
Level 10 handiness and guitar
Building/property: Central Park
Unique rewards: Change of taste (to classical music, pink and a food that I’ve forgotten  :-[), carefree.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2016, 03:55:45 PM »
House 13

I’m not superstitious about the number thirteen.  This has to be pure coincidence…

It started out all right.  Melody’s new home suited her hopeless-romantic nature and she happily took to her two new skills...

…but even with only one Sim in the house again, the game was taking more concentration than usual.  Mel had always been absent-minded but it was never all that obvious back in Sunset Valley.  Maybe being saved to the library and plonked down in a new town upset her.  Whatever the reason, it was now hard to get her to do anything at all.  She kept dropping her action queue and standing around going “errrrmmm…..”.

Finding the next spouse was also proving to be a problem.  The trouble with playing this challenge in Moonlight Falls is that most of the NPCs are supernatural Sims.  It only occurred to me far too late that she could have asked them to Forsake the Whatever and become human.  Never mind.  It wasn’t as though she found any of them particularly attractive, anyway.

Time passed.  Mel was approaching full adulthood and the top of her career (despite being The Most Absent-Minded Sim Ever, she did manage to get to work every day), with no obvious prospect of continuing the Haskill line.  Eventually, I got her to Call for Services and adopt a little boy.

Oh! An attractive human NPC at last  ;D.

While Dorian was sorting out his hair and clothing – and discovering the dressing-up box – Mel invited Brett, the adoption worker, back over for a chat.

By the end of the day, the household had tripled in size.

Then I looked at their traits.  Oh, terrific  ::).  Dorian was an adventurous coward (how does that work?) while Brett was unlucky and frugal.

All three of them got on well, united by their shared love of classical music, but Mel seemed reluctant to take her relationship with Brett to the next stage.  For a hopeless romantic, she was unbelievably slow off the mark.  It took some pretty forcible nudging from me to get them beyond friendship.

Even then, they seemed happier duetting than kissing.

Melody became a hit movie composer…

…and got home from work just in time to see Dorian age up from child to teen.

He was only at high school for a day or two.  Thanks to Mel’s tutoring, he was soon on an A and ready for an early cake.

Dorian joined the business career, with a lifetime wish to match, but his first love was music.  So far, I’d managed to keep him away from keyboards (as well as any other skilling objects) but I wasn’t confident of doing it for long.  Now he could start to learn the piano.  I’d never tried supermaxing any of the Late Night instruments before and had no idea how long it would take.  To start with, it went amazingly well.  He received four opportunities on consecutive days and another one a few days later.  Then it all went very quiet.  Brett was asked to play the organ at the stadium but it appeared that no-one was interested in his talented stepson.

I don’t know whether it was her midlife crisis or his revealing swimming trunks that did it but Mel suddenly started rolling wishes about Brett – and he reciprocated.

On their next shared day off, I sent them out on a date.  They watched a film, ate at the bistro and ended up at the beach.

I’d assumed a hopeless romantic would want to get married at once but Mel took the standard three days to roll the wish.  Brett, who could have used the happiness points, didn’t roll it at all.

They had a private wedding at Stone Troll Fishing Hole and then hurried back home so that the groom could go indoors… and so that they could both get back to their pianos.

They did eventually get around to more conventional honeymoon activities… with the conventional result.

I had several girl’s names picked out for the piano house but (naturally) Mel and Brett both wished for a boy.

Blake was born at home, while his father and big brother played pianos elsewhere in the house, oblivious to the screaming.

I wasn’t sure whether I’d prefer another redheaded Haskill or for the baby to inherit his father’s unique blond hair.

He got Granddad Cartier’s greenish brown instead.  Of course  ::).

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
Amazingly, Moonlight Falls provided a really good babysitter, although he looked a little worried by the whole looking-after-a-toddler business.

He had an unconventional dress sense, as well.  (Jacket and tie with ripped jeans?)  Maybe that was why Mel wished to retire as soon as she had her elder birthday, so that she could take care of Blake herself.

Dorian’s career was going well, even if the piano opportunities were still noticeable by their absence.  I always forget how fast the business career goes at the higher levels and Dorian caught me out by being promoted to CEO while I was watching Mel teaching Blake to walk.  By the time I’d moved the camera across town, the numbers over his head had disappeared.

I also missed him becoming a power broker two days later  :-[.  At least I did manage to capture the moment later that evening when he reached level 10 of the piano skill.

Blake aged up to child and chose his lifetime wish about thirty seconds later.  Progress was slow at first: with all objects that might tempt Dorian to pick up another skill banned from the house, Blake had to practise painting at the fire station.

He had a cake on the morning of his teen birthday…

…so that he could legitimately take the day off school and spend the time being skill-tutored by Mel instead (something she kept rolling wishes to do).

The following day, Blake had a mood swing.  I’ve never been so please to indulge a ‘dye or cut hair’ wish.  He changed it to black and, later, to a custom dark brown without even a suspicion of green.

After what seemed roughly like forever, Brett finally became a celebrity psychic…

…and promptly joined his wife in retirement.

Late in life, they’d discovered they really were very fond of each other but were running out of time to indulge their sudden flurry of romantic wishes.  Mel cooked a celebration dinner – or, at least, she started to and I failed to notice that she’d wandered off to play her violin instead.

And Dorian had another opportunity!  This one was to play for tips and he completed it almost immediately.

Realistically, though, I had to accept that a piano supermax had become vanishingly unlikely.  It had been nearly five weeks since the previous opportunity and Dorian was now in late adulthood.  His chances of getting even one more were very slim.  So House Thirteen would be the first where nobody supermaxed a skill.

I’m not going to give up on the game at this point – after all, the rules do say that only one instrument has to be supermaxed (although I wrote that before I bought Late Night, expecting that I’d either use just the guitar skill or do all of the instruments in the same house).  After two musical houses in a row, I’m going to concentrate on different skills for a generation or two and then do drum and bass later, either together or separately – and I’ll try not to mind if I can’t supermax them either  :-\.

A quiet Sunday at the Haskills'.  The boys are jamming together (no surprise there)…

…while Brett has voluntarily gone outdoors, just so that he can harass a poor innocent pillar…

…and Mel… (camera suddenly pans across)…

Mel has unblocked her last toilet.  RIP, Melody Haskill.  Hopefully you’ll be able to do whatever you want in the afterlife and not have to remember anything.

The rest of the family found some comfort in their music.

Mel had tutored Blake to level nine in both violin and piano and that night, as the zombies gathered outside, he maxed his first skill.

With the difficulty several recent heirs have had in finding mates, I wasn’t going to leave anything to chance with Blake.  The family had been burgled several times since their arrival in Moonlight Falls and the same policewoman, Donella Cuffs, had turned up every time.  She’d never managed to catch the thieves but had partially made up for it by becoming a best friend of both Mel and Brett and one of Dorian’s most generous tippers.  As a fairy, she was still young, so Brett invited her over and she and Blake got acquainted.

They were so busy chatting about books and painting that she was still there when the birthday sparkles arrived…

…and Donella realised that, now he was legal, Blake was really rather attractive.  I hope this bodes well for the next house.

Blake graduated as valedictorian and was voted Most Likely to Become a Rock Star.   Another one.

Some of Mel’s absentmindedness seemed to have rubbed off on Brett and Dorian.  They didn’t actually make it into Commonwealth Court for the ceremony but stood outside gossiping instead.  Then they went home and left Blake to graduate on his own.

It’s been a while since a Haskill went to university.

Blake became the first Fine Artist in the family.

Asking one of your lecturers to pose nude on your first afternoon isn’t exactly a conventional approach to study but it didn’t seem to do Blake any harm.  He graduated with an A, maxed-out nerd influence and a job offer.  After a quick reunion with the family, he moved out.

Now to settle into his own place and invite Donella over…

House 13 summary
Skills: piano and violin

Melody
Career: Music (Symphonic)
LTW: Hit Movie Composer
Level 10 handiness, guitar, charisma, logic, piano and violin

Brett
(Traits: athletic, frugal, unlucky, hates the outdoors)
Career: Fortune Teller (Scam Artist)
LTW: Celebrity Psychic
Level 10 charisma, logic and piano

Dorian
Traits: (adventurous, coward, loves the outdoors), ambitious, virtuoso
Career: Business
LTW: CEO of a Mega-Corporation
Level 10 piano (plus two challenges)

Blake
Traits: artistic, virtuoso, bookworm, supernatural fan, family-oriented, gatherer (nerd influence), great kisser (degree)
Level 10 piano and violin
Building/property: Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries
Unique rewards: Nerd influence, Philosopher’s Stone

Skull cuts of the three Supernatural gems (found, cut and transfigured by Dorian) were left behind in the old house.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »
House 14

Although I’ve grown very fond of Supernatural for building, I realised after Brett became a Celebrity Psychic that that was the first time I’d finished a Supernatural lifetime wish.  In this house, I’m planning to do several of them, along with supermaxing alchemy for the first time.  This could be chaos ;).

At least the house has plenty of space.  House 14 is the log cabin mansion I built for the family back in Hidden Springs but didn’t use in the end.  I’d realised that it would fit equally well into Moonlight Falls.  It’s had a slight makeover, from autumn to spring, largely because I wanted to use the daffodils from the Renaissance Faire.

Blake invited Donella over as soon as he’d moved in but she had to leave almost immediately.  That night, she was back – there was another attempted burglary and Donella continued her unbroken record of failing to catch thieves  ::).

After that, things improved considerably.  They progressed rapidly from friendship to romantic interests and then boyfriend/girlfriend.  There were still a few hiccups, though – this wasn’t quite what I was expecting when Blake asked Donella if he could sketch her nude  :P.

Blake asked her to move in…

…and a day or two later, Donella suffered an embarrassing incident at Fae Ray Gardens.

After a pregnancy of almost constant exposure to kids’ music and kids’ TV, it was slightly surprising that she didn’t emerge from the Bloom Institute carrying a basket.  On the plus side, both twins were sparkly.  My first fairyboos!

Donella visited the arboretum for a second time…

…and emerged as a human.

With two babies at home, the couple settled for a quiet wedding in their own garden…

…and a private celebration afterwards resulted in more chimes.

Leaf and Grace, the fairy twins, became (exceedingly cute and self-sufficient) toddlers…

…and were taught their skills at top speed, so that they could have early cakes and make space in the nursery for the upcoming addition to the family.  Donella was far too busy to watch TV this time and Blake kept turning the stereos to classical, so I wasn’t expecting a second set of twins.

The babies aged up and Severus turned out to be dark-haired (yay!) but also to have the rosiest complexion of any of the kids.  That’s just not right – I may have to send him off for plastic surgery after his young adult birthday.  Wolfgang was another Haskill redhead.

They had a slightly more relaxed toddlerhood than their older siblings.

Wolfie had time to practice hunting rabbits across the landing, while Sevvy contemplated skills he wasn’t yet old enough to learn…

…and got into a few sticky situations.  Maybe you should leave Apparating until you’re older, Sev.

Even so, it wasn’t long before they too were ready for early cakes.

The four kids had a single day of shared childhood before the older two were due to age up again.  Since it was Saturday, they made the most of it.

That was one of the quieter moments.  The day was mostly filled with tag, giggling and booby traps :).

Early on Sunday morning, Leaf and Grace became teens.

They made an immediate start on the skills they’d need for their (as yet unselected) lifetime wishes.  Leaf started planting a garden, while Grace headed off to a mirror to practise speeches.

She also became very fond of the train set.

Now that all four children were at school, the house was starting to feel very quiet during the day.   Blake and Donella did their best to rectify the situation ;).  Sybil was born before the week was out.

I’d been intending the family to have the full complement of six kids (Donella had changed her lifetime wish from Fashion Phenomenon to Surrounded by Family long before this) but the option to try for baby inexplicably disappeared after Sybil’s birth.  Clearing caches and restarting didn’t help.  After a day or two (my time), it was back, as mysteriously as it had disappeared.  By this point, Donella was only two days from elder.  Fortunately, there were chimes on the first attempt…

…and Wanda’s arrival completed the family.

A random screenshot to end with: one full moon, a zombie singer appeared in the garden.  He didn’t appear to get any tips, poor thing  :-\.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
By the way, I’m aware I bent my own rules to the breaking point in the last update. Strictly speaking, Donella was human by the time she became Blake’s wife and so she was technically a human spouse but that’s splitting hairs really  :-[.

I tried to get Blake to ask her to forsake the fae shortly after he moved house but the option wasn’t there.  After that, they stayed in touch while he repeatedly bought out the elixir store in search of a potent cure.  None appeared.  I was going to get them to try for baby anyway but of course the NPC household was (more than) full, as usual, and so the option was greyed out.  Eventually, Blake asked her to move in and I decided to get them to try for baby without waiting for the elixir.  A potent cure turned up in the middle of Donella’s pregnancy but I decided to leave it until after the babies were born to use it – after all, none of my previous Sims had produced a fairyboo and I didn’t know then how easy it would be to turn a human into a fairy through alchemy.  And then I noticed that the ‘forsake the fae’ option had appeared, and so the potent cure was put into storage for later.

Blake reached the top of the Video Game developer career and then, a couple of hours after arriving home from work, maxed writing and completed his lifetime wish.

26.Illustrious_Author.jpg

The younger twins became teenagers.  Now there were four of them in the house and mood-swing-free days became a rarity.  Sev, who had taken to alchemy with great enthusiasm, threw an elixir at his twin…

27.Bottled_curse.jpg

…and the family acquired a moody teenage werewolf.  Oh joy.

28.Werewolf.jpg

Shortly afterwards, there was a quadruple birthday: the fairy twins were due to age up to YA on the same day that Syb would become a child and Wanda, a toddler.

29.4birthdays.jpg

Three of them aged up uneventfully but Sybil was left in the nursery and had to have a cake on her own a bit later.

30.4birthdays.jpg

[31.Youngest_two.jpg
                                                                                       Sybil and Wanda

32.Eldest_two.jpg
                                                                                         Grace and Leaf

Leaf (who doesn’t have the party animal trait but really should) was delighted.

33.Leaf_dance.jpg

Meanwhile, Severus sat out on the drive and contemplated the meaning of meaning.

34.Brooding_Severus.jpg

Grace headed off to the library to pick up her last couple of charisma points…

35.Library.jpg

…and then went to the park to practise fairy magic.

36.Fairy_trick.jpg

The moon became full and Wolfgang transformed for the first time.  Syb took it in her stride.

37.Transformation.jpg

Sev retreated to the attic and his alchemy station.  I think he’s composing a speech about the beauty of potion-making.

38.Alchemy.jpg

Grace starting casting Inner beauty on the hapless citizens of Moonlight Falls…

39.Inner_beauty.jpg

…and the younger twins became young adults.

40.YA_2nd_twins.jpg

Sev was close to maxing alchemy…

41.Alchemy.jpg

…but was reluctantly torn away from his experiments to go to the hospital for plastic surgery, followed by a visit to the tattoo parlour.

42.Sev_makeover.jpg

Sybil aged up to teen (and Wanda to child) but I missed it because I had the camera on Donella.

43.Donella_LTW.jpg

The two youngest had broomsticks as birthday presents.

44.Broomsticks.jpg

A day or two later, Grace completed her Magic Makeover LTW and moved out.

45.Grace_LTW.jpg

A few hours after his twin, Leaf completed his Lifetime Wish.   I missed the screenshot because I thought he still had another ‘bloom’ to go – so here’s a picture of him becoming King of the Fae almost immediately afterwards.

46.Leaf_LTW.jpg

Leaf hung around for quite a while, gardening and fishing, but I don’t think he appears in any more screenshots after this.  ‘Bye, Leaf.

And, three days later, Sev also completed his lifetime wish, although he would be working on his supermax for quite some time yet.

47.Sev_LTW.jpg

Thanks to Vera_J for the Dark Mark tattoo.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
I remember saying a while back that none of my young Sims had ever been put in time out.  That’s no longer true.

48.Time_out.jpg

Thanks, Sybs.  I think.

Wanda, in the finest dynasty/legacy tradition, had her teen birthday in a bathroom…

49.Wanda_teen_BD.jpg

…and Sev gave her one of his special presents.

50.Witches_brew.jpg

I think she appreciated it more than Wolf did.

51.Witch.jpg

And, of course, every witch needs a familiar.

52.Crookshanks.jpg

Welcome to the family, Crookshanks.

53.Crookshanks.jpg

It’s been a while since one of my Sims had a narrow escape from a meteor.  Run, Sev!

54.Meteor.jpg

55.Meteor.jpg

56.Meteor.jpg

And, back at home, a different sort of disaster was striking.

57.Donella_death.jpg

RIP, Donella Cuffs-Haskill.  You were a devoted wife and mother, even though you made surprisingly few appearances in the story.  Sorry :(.

Sybil was so overcome by grief that she toadified herself, despite being quite a competent alchemist by this point.

58.Toadified_Syb.jpg

Sybil reached her YA birthday and Wanda had an early cake.  Why not have three sets of ‘twins’?

59.YA_BDs.jpg

Actually, that one didn’t take.  I’m not sure whether it was the Flight of Felicity that Leaf had gifted her with (Wanda seemed to spend most of her life surrounded by a fairyish glow) or just random variation but Wanda failed to blow out her candles and had to try again later.

60.YA_Sybil_Wanda.jpg

And at last, the Haskills had a teenager-free house.

61.Graduation.jpg

62.Graduation.jpg

After graduation, Sybil rushed off to the gypsy caravan where Grandpa Brett had worked and signed up as a trainee fortune teller.

63.Fortune-teller.jpg

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2016, 05:24:47 AM »
Ever since his teen birthday, Wolfgang had been working hard on his lycanthropy, roaming the town, hunting and howling.  He’d been a huge help to the family’s practical alchemists, Sev and Sybil (the others mostly learned from books) but his own lifetime wish was going infuriatingly slowly.  He didn’t have much trouble adding to the town’s werewolf population (although biting through a mascot outfit looks like a tricky proposition)…

64.Turning_mascot.jpg

…but he seemed to be a much more successful hunter on his own than with the pack.  As a group, they preferred hanging out at the Toadstool or howling at the moon together to concentrating on adding to the Haskills’ considerable wealth.  Come to think of it, I don’t really blame them.

65.Pack.jpg

Wolfgang was in mid-adulthood by the time they finally reached §40000-worth of collectables.  He celebrated by going to the park and biting one last victim.

66.Last_victim.jpg

67.Leader_of_pack.jpg

I have to say, if I never do Leader of the Pack again, it’ll be too soon.

Wanda had a much easier time, although she wasn’t quite the good witch I’d envisaged when she was growing up.  It was much easier to toadify people and then cure them.

68.Toadified.jpg

69.And_cured.jpg

Not even her own father was safe.

70.Toad_Blake.jpg

She completed her LTW in a matter of days, finishing a few hours after Wolfgang.

71.Last_cure.jpg

72.Last_cure.jpg

Suddenly, the next move was imminent. All that was left was for the two youngest to max alchemy.

73.Level10.jpg

Early the following morning, Sybil phoned the estate agent…

74.Phonecall.jpg

…said goodbye to her family and ran outside, eager for new experiences.

75.Moving.jpg

She climbed on to her brand-new flying vacuum and headed out of town.

76.Moving.jpg

House 14 summary
Skill: alchemy

Blake
Career: Video Game Developer (Game Artist)
LTW: Illustrious Author
Supermaxed handiness; level 10 piano, violin, painting, logic, charisma, writing, alchemy, cooking and homework
He seemed to know a remarkably small number of violin compositions, though:

78.Odd_stats.jpg

Donella
(Traits: genius, artistic, perfectionist, charismatic, friendly)
Career: nectar maker
(She only made one batch of nectar but maxed the career by selling off the single rack of nectar that the family had had in storage since Fleur made it, several houses ago – and this time I did get the trophy :).)
LTW: Surrounded by Family
Level 10 alchemy and logic

Leaf
Traits: loves the outdoors, loner, angler, green thumb, born salesman
LTW: Greener Gardens
Supermaxed gardening, level 10 fairy magic, fishing and alchemy
Mushroom collector

Grace
Traits: loves the outdoors, genius, friendly, charismatic, inappropriate
LTW: Magic Makeover
Level 10 charisma, fairy magic, alchemy and homework

Severus
Traits: loner, grumpy, genius, brooding, dramatic
Career: Alchemist
LTW: Alchemy Artisan
Supermaxed alchemy, level 10 logic
He made every elixir at least once.

77.Alchemy_collection.jpg
                                                           The complete collection of elixirs

Wolfgang
Traits: friendly, excitable, brave, charismatic, gatherer (+ lucky – nerd influence)
LTW: Leader of the Pack
Level 10 alchemy and lycanthropy

Sybil
Traits: friendly, easily impressed, good sense of humour, social butterfly, schmoozer (+ dramatic – nerd influence)
Building/property: Library of Lore and Vault of Antiquity
Unique rewards: Flying Vacuum, Excellent Groupie
Level 10 alchemy and photography

Wanda
Traits: good, friendly, neat, cat person, vegetarian
Career: Bookstore clerk
LTW: Mystic Healer
Level 10 alchemy

anything