Author Topic: @Mentions Idea Implemented  (Read 19058 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
@Mentions Idea Implemented
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
@_Annika_  your idea to have us make @notifications actually work on the Forum was a good one, and we've now got such a system. I have to thank Dragooon of the SMF modding community for creating this complex modification. This functions very similarly to Facebook's mentions system. If you type @Carl or any other member, you will cause a notification to be placed under Profile > Mentions that can draw that member's attention to the thread where you've asked them a question, mentioned them, or replied to them etc.

A couple of things to note:

Email notification of mentions doesn't seem to be working. Many of you would probably want to be notified. You can try going into Profile > Mentions and toggle the Email notification mentions off to on. It is on for all members by default, but might not work just yet. I've gotta figure out why that is. Those of you who never want them can just untick that box. This setting works dynamically and doesn't require you to click save unlike others on the site. Just tick it, and it'll change the setting for you.

This will help communication between members and was a solid idea. I am grateful to the mod maker, since this will help ensure less posts get missed.

I will not be able to fix any bugs related to this system, although the email is possible. The mod maker did go through a lot of revisions and improved it, so it should be stable.

Edit: Note that when you have been mentioned, a number will appear next to Profile in the main menu. This will alert you that there are mentions you have not yet seen. This system is excellent and a great addition to the Forum. I'm really happy with it :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: @Mentions Idea Implemented
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
Ok, we have a little bug it seems. Apparently you can't edit a post and have the mentions system work.

For anyone who is in the dark, to use this you type @ in a message and begin typing the member's name. With most browsers, a menu should come up to show you a list of member names. You can finish typing the name or select it from the list.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
One more to let people know that I hadn't enabled the permission to use this feature in membergroups. It should be working for everyone now. Thanks to @Schipperke  and Metro for helping me test the system :) Also, people will get emails when mentioned! Great!

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »
Thank you so much Carl, I look forward to using this.  ;D

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
Carl, I don't know if it's working yet. I had a (1) next to Profile above, and when I clicked on Profile, it showed that there had been a mention, but there was just blank space underneath the categories. Also, e-mail notification was checked, but so far I haven't gotten an e-mail about it.

This isn't criticism -- I think it's a good idea, but I thought you would want to know if something wasn't working.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »
@Carl Excellent! I logged in today and saw I had a [1] next to my profile. Upon clicking it, I was taken here - so it seems to be working well for me :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
Today, I did get an e-mail notification of a mention, and also when I clicked on my Profile, then Mentions, I got the post where the Mention was, so apparently everything is working!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up. I confess I'm relieved since there isn't much I could do with someone else's modification. It might have been a browser cache issue. I seem to have trouble getting the 1 to go away after viewing mentions, but it's not a big deal with the emails letting me know of new ones. Glad you guys like it. It was a great idea for the community's communication needs. :)

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »
The [1] seemed to go away when I came back to the page a few hours later, so no worries :)

Offline Rikki8528

• Occult
  • Sims 3 Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 12:54:59 PM »
I keep having the [1] next to my profile, but when I click Mentions there's nothing there.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
@Carl

This has happened to me as well a couple of times recently. Looked at the mentions and didn't see anything new. I just figured it was a forum hiccup?

MrsFlynn

==========
I keep having the [1] next to my profile, but when I click Mentions there's nothing there.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
Have you tried a hard-refresh? Try pressing Ctrl+5 (I guess Cmd+5 on a Mac? I'm not sure though) next time it happens, maybe that'll fix it.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »

I have the same thing happening except mine is currently showing [5] mentions. It's like it isn't resetting after looking at it just keeping a running count.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »
Mentions have a task that runs every day at a set time. When mentions are seen, it is supposed to remove the notification. I suppose the mod author did it this way in order to conserve resources, since real-time removal would involve a lot of processing. I've relied on email to know when I have a new one that hasn't been seen. Please tell me if numbers are changing for you all given the routine should have run by now?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »
The mention notifications have cleared for me. And seem to be working okay now.

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *