Author Topic: Can you change where the Sims 4 looks for the Document folder  (Read 53592 times)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Can you change where the Sims 4 looks for the Document folder
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
When I installed The Sims 4 I've always had the folder that holds the saves, screenshot, ect. under D:/Documents/Eletronic Art/The Sims 4.
The other day I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and when I started The Sims 4 I noticed all my saves, settings, mods, ect. were gone just like starting a freshly installed game. After awhile of trying to figure out what was happening I found that after upgrading Windows 10 Sims 4 is now looking for the folder at C:\Users\My Name\Pictures\Documents\Electronic Arts.
For now I've copied the Sims 4 folder to that location and have all my saves and settings back. But is there a way to get the game to look in the original location again?
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Can you change where the Sims 4 looks for the Document folder
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
Hey, Grimsoul. Looks like when Windows 10 updated your computer it reset the Users folder to the default location at C:\Users\<name>

To get it back to the D:\ drive, go to the C:\Users\<name> folder in File Explorer and right-click on the Documents folder. Then go to the Location tab and replace the C with a D and it will move the folder once you click OK. You can do that for just about every folder in the Users\<name> folder except for OneDrive, AppData (you will only see this if you have hidden files/folders displayed) and some other possible folders.

Hope this helps and happy Simming. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »
Thanks Flynn, That did the trick. :)
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline AllanaSilva

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
my ea folder dont have a location tab

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 01:42:07 PM »
You may be looking in the wrong folder. You need to check the folder you installed the game to - for example:

Sims 4 default install path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4

In the post linked below are a few how-tos to help move the Electronic Arts folder or change the location of the Sims 4 folder.

Move the Electronic Arts Folder
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29295.msg401673#post_MEAF

If this doesn't help post your question to AHQ's Sims Tech Help Board ~
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

They may know of some easier steps to take. :)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything