Author Topic: Roofing complications  (Read 4890 times)

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
Roofing complications
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:19:22 PM »
Still using Sims 3. I'm behind the times. Actually i just picked it back up after almost a year of not playing.

I'm forever doing that with games.

So anyways. I've started building a modern house. Sharp angles, monoplane roofs, the whole shebang.

I wanted it to seem very "open" - it's... okay, well, it's a good sized house, placed on a custom-placed 64x64 lot because I wanted the ocean in the backyard.  It's got a library/study, kitchen, dining, family room, rumpus room, three small beds and a master suite. 3.5 baths. So it isn't small by any definition of the word. But the dimensions of the walls and rooflines make it look a lot bigger than it is inside.

To cut down on some of that bulkiness, instead of doing a closed 2-car garage, I did two porte cocheres - you can see them above, the two gaping holes in the side of the house, with the blue walls dividing them. But because of that, and the divider in the middle, I had to do some crazy roofs to ensure the areas above the walls actually had... walls.

I painted one of the sections that I'm talking about green here, to make it easier to see:

That side of the building has four or five roofs, all stacked on top of each other. And I think it looks pretty good in there (if I do say so myself.) But the problem is the roof itself. Because of all the roof stacking, I now have this:

Those little black spots and lines are from the... I'm going to call them "under roofs," the roofs that I built to give myself the walls I needed to complete that section. But here's the thing:

I had downloaded some bad CC windows (Shame on me) and couldn't get it to go away. I had already built the house, but then I had to completely uninstall. So this is attempt #2. And I am 98% certain that I didn't have those roof problems the first time around.

Short of getting rid of my neat blue divider, do any of you know how I can fix this? It isn't game breaking at all, but it's... aesthetically unappealing.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Roofing complications
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »
I'm honestly not sure how to fix that other than delete the little bits of the "under-roofing". That's what I do when I get things like that poking out of my rooflines.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »
I'm honestly not sure how to fix that other than delete the little bits of the "under-roofing". That's what I do when I get things like that poking out of my rooflines.

Unfortunately, if I delete the "under roofs" themselves, the walls they produce disappear as well.

Though I haven't tried doing the "delete-undo" that gets rid of floating bits of wall caused by CFE....

Edit: No dice. I found the offending roofline and deleted it, hit undo, and the spots are back. I also tried adjusting the height/angle of the roof, but that just gave me horizontal lines across the length of the roof.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
I'm sorry, maybe @Twinmum may know some tips to try. As she's better at this sort of stuff that I am. :)
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
Pah! There's no need to apologize. Thank you for trying! I'll just turn my attention to the interoior of the house for a while.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
The house looks amazing by the way. I absolutely love the roofline. Will you be showing photos of the finished house?

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
The house looks amazing by the way. I absolutely love the roofline. Will you be showing photos of the finished house?

Thank you! :DD I was thinking about it, but I won't be able to share it - too much custom content. It's like a disease, I can't stop adding more.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:58:47 PM »
Oh no, that's understandable, that's why I was asking if you'd just share photos of the house when you're finished furnishing/decorating it. :)

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
Oh, well, in that case. Yeah, I most likely will.

I'm working on the family room right now. I really miss the old upright piano. Grand looks nice and all, but it takes up so much room!

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 06:53:13 PM »
The problem is partly due to the roof pieces not being lined up exactly. I've tried to recreate your roof and you can see on the edge that the three pieces are not quite at the same height causing a small stepping which will cause lines accross the roof - depending on what roof finish you choose, the lines on the roof itself will be more or less visible.

You need to grab the pieces and ever so gently pull them down till the step on the edge of the roof dissappears. I find it easier to check this on the edge of the roof as opposed to the roof surface.
You can see in tis next image, the stepping has gone.

While I was trying to create the roof, I did get a couple of little black lines like in your picture. I found the problem was that my roof pieces were different widths. Is your roof made up of just three pieces? I found that when I made the roof in just three pieces, that little black line was gone. Each roof piece needs to be the full width from the front to the back of the area. The first piece went from the far left wall to the left wall of the centre piece. The next bit of roof went from the far left wall to the right wall of the centre piece and the last bit of roof went from the far left wall to the far right wall.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

My wonderful circling skills. I deleted the roofs so that I could break my process down more easily.

The overall angle slider is set as low as it can go.

The roof over this side of the house is actually five different roofs stacked on top of each other. The cyan roof creates the "wall" that fills the gap on the left side of the left parking spot. The yellow forms the right wall.The green forms the left wall of the right parking spot. The pink roof creates the back wall, and the red roof covers it all.

Even if I hadn't decided that, for the sake of symmetry, the left side would be two squares, I would only be able to get my count down to 4 roofs. I may just have to settle for weird black lines on my roof.

Also, get a load of these:

I've got no clue where they came from or what they are. I can only see them from certain angles, but they're all over the yard.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »
Pretty sure the offending piece is that 'pink' one to create the back wall. Because it is not the same width as thhe others you get the black mark. You don't really need that piece anyway. You just need four pieces (I didn't realiise in my first effort that the wall on the left was a block and not just a wallThe first one should be to cover the left wall....

The next piece will create the left hand wall on the centre piece....

next one create the right hand wall on the centre piece

The final piece covers the lot

When you delete the front walls, you can see that the back wall is complete, so you don't need to do an extra piece for that.

In this picture, I made a roof piece that didn't come all the way to the front and you can see the black mark like on your roof.

As for those white planes in your last image, they are remnants from somethng you have done before using the CFE cheat. You need to just angle the camera around and delete them.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:14 PM »
But without the pink roof, then I just have a hole leading back to the very very back wall. If I had, say, a second floor there (but for what, I don't know), that'd be one thing. It seems in my drive for aesthetics I've made that section infinitely more complex than it has any right to be. I'm either going to have to sleep in the bed as I've made it, or figure out something to put on the second level there.

Put the master suite above the kidlets' rooms, perhaps? Make the living room two-level? Hmm

Offline roguebait

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »
Also I missed the bit about the white squares. I had been trying to delete them with the floor tool. Don't even know why I didn't try the sledgehammer.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »
Oh, there's a room behind the carport area? I didn't realise that. I thought that roof was just covering the carport.

anything