Author Topic: Mods Make My Game Crash  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
Mods Make My Game Crash
« on: April 23, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
So, for the last few weeks, I've been having serious issues with my game. It crashed about two weeks ago and wouldn't restart. It got to the loading screen and then the game would crash and I would get an error message saying that TS3  has stopped working. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. At first that wasn't working either, so I decided to try taking out my mods folder. Mind you, before this I had never had an issue with my mods. But when I took out my mods folder, the game ran just fine, minus the features the mods added. So I tried putting back a few mods at a time to see if the mods were a problem,but no matter why combination of mods I used, it never worked, so I assumed that it was a problem with the mods folder itself. I really don't want to play without mods forever, as there are several mods I find quite useful. I don't know what to do. Is there anyone who knows how to solve this issue?

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Mods Make My Game Crash
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
Hi, Red the Wolf,

Quick questions for you - were you ever able to play successfully with mods?

Did you put your mods in immediately before uninstalling/reinstalling? Did you ever patch your game while keeping your mods folder in your Sims 3 folder?

I'm just tossing a few ideas out there. Let's see if we can figure this out.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 05:29:11 PM »
Yes, at one point I could play successfully with mods.

Before I uninstalled, I backed up all my game files, including mods, then uninstalled everything. After that, I reinstalled my game, made sure it had all the necessary patches, and then put back all my files that I had backed up.  It was really weird, because up until a few weeks ago, my game worked perfectly. No issues at all until it started crashing.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
There's been a few people experiencing this problem. Something that is said to help is:

If you're having a hard time getting your mods to work, try this:

Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Setup and Files
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

There is a ready-made "FrameworkSetup.zip and instructions.  It provides the creation of the Mod folder containing the Resource.cfg, Override and Packages folders.  Copy the mods into the packages folder.

If the above doesn't work, it may be that some of your mods are conflicting with each other. The best thing to do for that is to go through your mods one by one to see which one or ones are conflicting.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »
It didn't work. I'm still having issues with mods. Also, I haven't installed any new mods lately, and I didn't have problems with them before, so how could my mods be conflicting?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:31:25 PM »
I honestly don't know how they would be conflicting. But something odd is happening or else it wouldn't be crashing.

If you think it may be the Mods folder itself, you can rebuild it by doing a factory reset.

Sims 3 Factory Reset (What & Howto)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401814#msg401814

Then in the new Sims 3 folder, create a Mods and Package folder and copy over the Resource.cfg -- Or you can grab a copy of one from the thread below in step 4.

Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=9187.0

If the above doesn't work, and depending on where most of your mods are from. For example, if they are from Nraas it may be better to ask them over there what their thoughts are on the crashing. They've been very helpful in fixing mod related game problems.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
Okay, I'll try that and see if it works. Thank you for your help.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
Your welcome!! I'm happy to help.

The few times I've had problems with the mods I use (Nraas mods) they were either conflicting with each other at the time, or one needed to be updated due to a new patch - that was long time ago. So we had to go through them one by one. Since then I've had no problems. I'm still at patch level 1.67.

Hopefully the problem will be easily resolved. When you find what the problem is/was, please post back as I am very curious as to what's happening.

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »
Well unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work. I tried it the other day and would have gotten back to you sooner, but I was on a trip for the weekend and couldn't access the internet. I use Nraas mods as well, and they didn't seem to conflict before. I'm on patch 1.69, and people have said they experienced problems with their mods after updating to this patch, but all this started before I downloaded patch 1.69. I ended up being forced to download it because the disc I had for my Showtime expansion pack was messed up and wouldn't download properly, so I had to download Origin and then it made me update to 1.69 before it would let me download the expansion pack. So at this point I don't know if it's my mods, my patch level, an issue with the game itself or some combination of the three.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't think a fresh uninstall/reinstall would help this situation either.

As from what I understand when the digital download version of Sims 3 is used. You're stuck with patch level 1.69. And like you said there are problems with that patch.

However if you haven't yet. Ask over at Nraas to see if they have any ideas that might help.

Nraas
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
I'll do that. Again, thank you so much for your help.

Offline Red the Wolf

• Evil Overlord
  • Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »
Update! I finally got my mods working. I looked back through some old error logs and discovered the problem was Errortrap, so I deleted it and now everything's fine again. 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »
Wow!! You know, we had a problem with Errortrap before. But that was a really long time ago, probably around 2012. But because it didn't work, none of our Nraas mods worked.

I am happy to hear you were able to get it to work!! Yay!! :)