Author Topic: Taking native resolution screenshots and videos in The Sims 2  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
Taking native resolution screenshots and videos in The Sims 2
« on: October 14, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
I play in fullscreen mode, in 1920 x 1080. I have an Apple keyboard and the screenshot keys are fn + shift + alt + F11. It works fine with The Sims 3 and other games. Not with the Sims 2. I only get a picture of a large blue background and the dock. It's frustrating.
As for videos, it's even worse, as my resolution is 16:9 so the final 4:3 video is not only small but also severely distorted.
Is there a way to take native resolution screenshots of the game with another way than the inbuilt screenshots that allow only small screenshots in live mode ? Maybe a software that can run in the background and that can use a shortcut to take a screenshot or a video ? I'd also be interested in such a software to capture videos of The Sims 3 (and other games) with sound and in native resolution (I've got a recent computer, with The Sims 3 running with no lag in high settings, so I think it can handle that). I can pay for it as long as the price is reasonable.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Taking native resolution screenshots and videos in The Sims 2
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
I've been trying to do some research on this today. And found some links that might help.

To "fix" this issue, the graphics files need to be edited. Which can be a confusing process. However, did find a program that might be able to help with that.

Graphics Rules Maker - Improve Compatibility with Modern Systems
http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

Here's another link to some screenshot basics.

MTS2:Creator Guidelines/Screenshot Basics
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Creator_Guidelines/Screenshot_Basics

The in-game screenshots are limited to 600x450 by default. There's no way to change this that we've discovered.

What you can do is use something like Fraps or Bandicam to take screenshots at the game's resolution.

A note of warning, some screen capture programs may make the game's in-game camera not work as it should. As they share a same key combo Shift-Ctrl-C. If you run into this problem. It is advised to uninstall the screen capture program.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
Re: Taking native resolution screenshots and videos in The Sims 2
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
Fraps is great, I've got beautiful screenshots and uncompressed videos with it ! Thank you @MrsFlynn :)

anything