Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 1236530 times)

Leto85

Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #600 on: May 28, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
Apart from that I love this forum, I check everyday (if i'm not out on a boat). I think that everybody is so nice, friendly, and helpful. I've learnt so much from this forum, and I like the challenges..

Welcome to the forum malteser60. :) The atmosphere here is one of the things that keep me from finding another forum. In my experience, everybody is able to help each other until their problem is solved. If you asked your question in the wrong topic, some moderator will move it to the place where it belongs and you will get a notice of that. Talking about accommodating! :D

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #601 on: May 28, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »
Welcome (though belated ::)) malteser60!
Happy you're enjoying the forum. We're trying to do the best we can with it! ;D
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #602 on: May 28, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »
I was wondering, which two languages do you speak besides English (if it is beside), and what is the third one? I'm personally interested in languages, that's why I ask.  :)

English is my second language but I don't really consider it a second language, more like a co-first language, as I've been fluent since I started school at age 5. My native language is, what we (my people) call Low German. My ancestors originated in the Netherlands and spoke Dutch. They then moved to Russia and mixed in some of that. Then it was off to Germany where they actually took on German as a second "first" language, meaning everyone became fluent in both. Next move was to Mexico and they mixed a little Spanish into the "Dutch" they were speaking. Finally, they moved up to Canada and took up English. Anyway, so our Low German is a mixture of Dutch, Russian, German, Spanish, and English; mostly Dutch. I was actually able to read and understand the bit of Dutch written earlier in this thread somewhere! That was exciting.

On a family camping trip many years ago, we were walking back from the beach and were stopped by a couple in a campsite we were passing. They asked us what language we were speaking and it turns out that they were from Holland, spoke Dutch, and understood the majority of what we were saying! Most of what they couldn't understand was spoken too fast, they said. To my knowledge, Low German isn't an official language and doesn't have a written form.

As for the language I know a little of, that's German. My Grandparents' generation is the last to have both Low German and German as co-first languages growing up. My church, during my childhood, offered a youth Bible study class that was taught in German, and my mother made me, and my siblings, attend for 8 years! I started when I was in grade 1. Anyway, years later, during my 4th year of university I needed another option class and thought learning the German language might be fun. And boy was it ever! The best part is that I can have a (fairly simple) conversation with my Grandma in German. I think that's pretty special; it is to me anyway.

Well, was that a long enough explanation for you? I have to stop all this talking or no one will ask me another question!  :)

I'm gonna have to send you a PM!  Our family history sounds quite similar in some regards.  Half of my dad's side of the family are Mennonite and I know that a lot of them speak Low German. 

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »

I work as a Marine Ecologist in and Environmental and Engineering Consultancy. Hmmm, and I'm addicted to the sims!  ;D Because of work I can't always play the sims. I tend to go away on surveys quite a bit, as well as marine surveys I also do bat and newt surveys.

My brother just graduated with a degree in Environmental Science.  He's had several interesting seasonal jobs since then, mostly having to do with bird tagging and monitoring the salmon population.  He's a real outdoorsman, he's climbed several mountains and is really into rock climbing and stuff.  One of his jobs he ended up stuck in a lab counting fish scales, you can guess how much he liked that one! lol, not one bit!  But now he's sort of in between jobs, which isn't much fun either.  We're all hoping he'll find something more permanent soon.

fantalover

« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »
I just registered (after failing the captcha like 10 times, lol) because this seems like a nice community that I would like to be a part of.
My name is Daniella and I'm from Sweden. I am 16 years old, I got the Sims 3 as a gift for Christmas but I didn't install it until last weekend, when I realized what an AWESOME GAME it is. My hobbies (besides playing Sims all the time :P) is to play golf and sometimes I go for a ride on one of my mom's horses (we live on a farm/ranch so we have like 8 of them, lol).

I don't know what more to say really, but now I have at least posted a first post. :P

Leto85

« Reply #605 on: May 31, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »
I just registered (after failing the captcha like 10 times lol) because this seems like a nice community that i would like to be a part of.
My name is Daniella and im from Sweden, i am 16 years old, i got the sims as a gift for christmas but i didnt install it until like last weekend, were i realized what A AWESOME GAME it is. My hobbies (besides playing sims all the time :P) is to play golf and sometimes i go for a ride on one of my moms horses (we live on a farm/ranch so we have like 8 of them lol).

uuuuh i dont know what more to say really, but now i have atleast posted a first post :P

Welcome to the forum Fantalover/ Daniella. What a great place to live must that be, with eight horses! Sounds lovely. And I think you will like it here. Because like you've mentioned youself, this is indeed a nice forum. You will see, by the way, there are a lot of Swedish people around here. I'm not one of them, though (I'm Dutch), but they will welcome you probably very soon. :D

fantalover

« Reply #606 on: May 31, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Fantalover/ Daniella. What a great place to live must that be, with eight horses! Sounds lovely. And I think you will like it here. Because like you've mentioned youself, this is indeed a nice forum. You will see btw, there are a lot of Swedisch people around here. I'm not one off them though (I'm Dutch) but they will welcome you probably very soon. :D

And, well, one thing which really sucks is that I live in the middle of nowhere. It's nice thats it's quiet and stuff, but sometimes I feel like getting a shotgun and shooting all of the freaking birds, the sounds are driving me crazy. xD

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #607 on: May 31, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Ha, ha, välkommen till forumet Daniella!
Jag är nog den svensken här man ser mest av. ;)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

fantalover

« Reply #608 on: June 01, 2010, 12:10:05 PM »
Najs att det är några andra svenskar här :P, tackar för välkomnandet :D

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
  • Illumination now with energy saving light bulbs!
« Reply #609 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »
Most of the northern-european languages look like each other; I was actually able to read what it meant, Fantalover!
Le mot impossible n'est pas Francais

The word "impossible" is not French

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

fantalover

« Reply #610 on: June 01, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
Haha, cool. Though I can't read Norweigan or Danish, maybe it's because I'm blonde and therefore stupid. xD

Leto85

« Reply #611 on: June 01, 2010, 02:51:05 PM »
Most of the northern-european languages look like each other; I was actually able to read what it meant, Fantalover!

Wow Illu, really? Maybe I am not Dutch enough, because I didn't understand a single word of it.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #612 on: June 01, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
Haha cool, though i cant read norweigan or danish, maybe its because im blonde and therefore stupid xD
I can both read and understand spoken Norwegian (though for me to speak it is harder). Danish is even further away, so I can just read it and hear some of the dialects, but most of Jutlandic is extremely hard to comprehend.

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
  • Illumination now with energy saving light bulbs!
« Reply #613 on: June 01, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »

Wow Illu, really? Maybe I am not Dutch enough, because I didn't understand a single word of it.

My father is French, so I'm not 100% dutch either...
Le mot impossible n'est pas Francais

The word "impossible" is not French

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #614 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
Ok folks, I'm really happy that you all share a language, but let's keep it in English on the Forum. Otherwise, I'll have to start running posts through translators so that everyone can understand them and to make sure there's nothing inappropiate. And I really don't want to do that.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."