Author Topic: Guide jumps to bottom (Ad Problem)  (Read 3058 times)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
Guide jumps to bottom (Ad Problem)
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
I don't know if this a problem on my end or just in general but when I am trying to read some info on the guide it jumps to the bottom of the page. I scroll back up and read a couple more lines but then it does it again and again and again. I am getting really frustrated with this. I use Google Chrome and also have Internet Explorer which I have already checked and it does it there as well. Am I alone in this problem? Does anyone know how I can fix this? Also it only does this on the guide. It doesn't happen on the forum or any other pages like yahoo. \

Edited: I now realize this has to do with the ad at the bottom. Everytime a new ad shows to jumps to the ad. I cannot pause the ad or anything to stop it from happening. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Guide jumps to bottom (Ad Problem)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Thank you for letting us know of the ad problems. I have let @Carl know of the problem.

Something you may want to try in the meantime is clearing your browser cache if you haven't already and try viewing the guide again. As we've been having ad issues lately, but should be cleared up.

wikiHow to Clear Your Browser's Cache
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 12:37:24 AM »
@MomOfMany I've had to report a lot of these lately. They're not supposed to pull you around like that at all, and it's some sleazy tactic that keeps popping up in multiple exchanges. The network I reported it to has been working with others to try to prevent them. I'd never seen it before a few weeks ago. I suspect it's one bad actor that is putting them up in multiple places. Now it's like playing whack a mole to try to remove them.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »
@MomOfMany @Carl I've also.had this problem. At first I thought I was leaning on my keyboard. But at least now I know I'm not losing my mind.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
I also noticed that the ad kind of "follows" me down the page and covers some of  the information.  I think that's a separate issue, but it is still an issue when I read the guide.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
The ad that "follows" you down the page maybe normal (?)

I've asked @Carl about this before. He has reported it.

I experience it often when visiting the guide. The ad covers about 1/4 of the page from the left side into the middle. Sometimes it's a large rectangle ad, sometimes it's a square ad. Regardless it cover the links on the left side of the page.

Thank you to all that have been reporting ad issues with the guide. This helps try to keep the guide readable!! :)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:02:41 PM »
Thanks MrsFlynn --- I'm glad that Carl reported it.  I don't think it was happening when I found the guide.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
It has gotten worse as of lately. At this point the guide is completely unusable as now I can't even scroll back up. It takes me down to the ad and says "advertisement new video will display in ___" and counts down from 30 but for those 30 seconds I can't do anything. If I am lucky an ad will actually appear then I can pause that one and carry on for a while but it will do it again. Most of the time though an ad doesn't actually appear. Well I mean there is an ad playing during those 30 seconds but I guess it's not considered an ad. Anyways these ads are playing dirty.

Is there any kind of work around for the time being? I am going crazy not being able to read the guide.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »
This might help in Chrome: chrome://flags/#enable-scroll-anchoring - paste that into the search bar and press enter. It makes it so that nothing should be capable of telling your browser window to move without your permission. This is supposed to be a no-no anyway...

In the meantime, I will try to find the offending advertisement. I need a better long-term solution as they seem to hit every network, and it's disgusting how vile some fringe groups are becoming in an effort to make a fast buck.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 05:50:05 PM »
This might help in Chrome: chrome://flags/#enable-scroll-anchoring - paste that into the search bar and press enter. It makes it so that nothing should be capable of telling your browser window to move without your permission. This is supposed to be a no-no anyway...

In the meantime, I will try to find the offending advertisement. I need a better long-term solution as they seem to hit every network, and it's disgusting how vile some fringe groups are becoming in an effort to make a fast buck.

Thank you so much Carl. I did this and so far it has helped.

This is why we have you at the helm!!! :)

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »
Carl if it helps I would be willing to send you a video so you can see just what I mean!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 01:49:06 AM »
@Carl  @MrsFlynn  just letting you guys know that these foul adds have been reported again on the guide by a helpful reader.  :-\  Still all clear for me so I haven't seen them.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
I think I got it. It won't stop them from putting another up, but it seems I may have found a more reliable way to figure out where it's coming from. This one has been popping back up for 3 weeks now and messes with browsers that haven't been reinstalled recently or something. Supposedly this scroll anchoring feature noted above is supposed to be enabled on Google Chrome by default. If you don't have it set to enabled, an ad that changes like that is going to pull you every time it reloads.

I don't really want those that reload, nor those that use flash. Unfortunately you can't get 100% of people to disable flash, and some of them need it for websites that use it that have not been updated to the safer/faster html5.

Edit: Ok, I see how this has gone on so long and been frustrating to an extreme.. there are about 30 of them, they're obviously trying not to be banned. Have to ban youtube.com as a whole to prevent it for now, because they're pushing their bad channel :P

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »
I've done a lot lately to try to improve ad quality, so that there are more basic images and less video ads on loops that consume bandwidth. The latter may still happen but it shouldn't happen as often. I can't see every ad people get, I can only go off my own impressions. I'll keep checking and trying to block those offensive ones as best I'm able, and appreciate any reports from you guys. I definitely don't want things like screen pulling, it's not allowed on any of the networks that I use. Not to mention, it's highly undesirable for me to do all that writing this last decade and have people unable to read it...

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
Hey Carl, I just wanted to let you know that the page jumping has started again for me on the guide. I was using the gardening skill guide for grafting and all of a sudden it started jumping to the bottom of the page again every time I got back to the top or back to where I was at.

Shannon