Author Topic: Spammy Ads Keep Coming Up  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Shayla

• Nooboo
Spammy Ads Keep Coming Up
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:28:43 PM »
I've been using Carl's Sims guides for years and haven't had much of an issue until recently, where every time I try to look up a subject, a spammy ad comes on to my screen and won't go away. It's like one of those "Congrats you won an iPad" type stuff. This makes it practically impossible for me to read the articles. Not sure if it's just on my side. I'm on an iPhone. At first I thought it was because I would come on to the site through Bing, but I switched to Google and it's the same. Anyone else have trouble? It's making me kind of angry and I made this account today specifically to complain about it.  >:(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Spammy Ads Keep Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »
Thank you for letting us know. I pmed Carl to let him know of the issue. He may be in contact with you to get more details.

Guide readers experience different ads depending on region and possibly device type (e.g. mobile vs. pc).
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:14:15 PM »
I'm not seeing anything weird from my location but like you said MrsFlynn, we all see area-specific ads so contacting Carl is the best way to solve this issue. Thank you so much for letting us know @Shayla
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:34:54 AM »
@Shayla Sorry about this :( I've had a lot more trouble this year, and honestly look forward to making some changes to improve it in the long term, though it's not something I can do immediately.

As to the ad that is doing this, is it the ONLY mobile ad that pops up, or does it come after the one you can close? Any details you can provide would help.

If it comes second, it's a redirect and not ok. Finding them is like a needle in a haystack, but it could at least give me a lead. As Mrs. said, one of the problems is that who gets what ad is determined by geography and things like that. It's annoying that a lot of webmasters use this same network (it's a popular one) and we all kind of police/report bad ads, but shady marketing companies can put up new ones. I'd prefer if only ads approved by a person appeared and hope to make that happen.

It's been on my mind a lot, as this is not the first complaint but setting up a new provider presents some issues on my end.

anything