Author Topic: Rug Rats: Surviving a Toddler Run Household  (Read 51164 times)

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
Re: Rug Rats: Surviving a Toddler Run Household
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2018, 10:03:18 AM »
@reggikko Great strategy. I chose Astronaut in a test run too as I thought it was the best to level autonomously but decided jobless gave more chance of whims when I could split the toddlers between parents. I forgot about highchair. I did use it as I didn't want a chance of grill fire but I just had one and got the one toddler to spam ask for food then hand of the watcher the food over to each of the other toddlers. Agreed this is a time sink otherwise and sooo annoying with the weird glitching and such that it normally gives.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
@GlazeyLady Great strategy in sending Dad to adopt before work. Once I realized I was going to have more money than I needed, I tried to think of ways to keep my working Sim at home, but didn't come up with any.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
Great strategy, @GlazeyLady, and a well-deserved win! I didn't know that toddlers would sleep more efficiently in the high chair -- I'll have to remember that.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
Wow!  Napping in the high chair is such a great tip.  Those toddler beds with their energy level of 1 are so frustrating- even in normal games. 

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »
Huge congratulations to @GlazeyLady I honestly don't know how you did it.  I was so impatient with this file, had it on double speed the whole time, it was so crazy.  The only thing I have to add is I did not have either parent get a job, and the trashcan was sufficient enough to adopt 23 toddlers. 

Thank goodness for the hand of the watcher rule getting reversed!

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
It's good to read I made some good choices (though I missed a lot of things, too. I definitely didn't connect that "watch" raised thinking; that would have changed some things. I also didn't know about the nanocan)

About halfway through the challenge, Tucker, the primary caretaker, gave up on life.  He'd just stand there in the middle of the floor and play with his phone until one of the toddlers badgered him into feeding them or he passed out.  Except, of course, when I'd send him to the adoption agency.

"Mr. Thornton, you obviously haven't bathed in days, you look like you're starving, you smell like stale popcorn, you keep spontaneously breaking into tears, and you fell asleep at the desk twice. And you'd like to adopt your 11th child?  Sure.  Sign right here."

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »
@GlazeyLady I don't think I would have! Great tip about the highchair. I don't think I would have noticed. I had my toddlers nap in the highchair when I was busy with the other little nightmares and didn't notice. But it's now filed away! You totally 1000% won this in impressive champion style.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #232 on: March 05, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »

"Mr. Thornton, you obviously haven't bathed in days, you look like you're starving, you smell like stale popcorn, you keep spontaneously breaking into tears, and you fell asleep at the desk twice. And you'd like to adopt your 11th child?  Sure.  Sign right here."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I never really thought about that.  So funny!

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #233 on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
@GlazeyLady, what traits did you pick for your parents and the lot (if any)? I was curious to see if people focused on the family traits or if they picked money-making/autonomous traits like @cyclonenic. I picked Family-oriented for both my parents but it seemed to take on my stay-at-home dad better. Mom would just keep wandering further to the edge of the lot (I don’t blame her at all for that!).

I did pick Neat for all the toddlers aging to children. Hand of the Watcher helped a great deal but I also wanted puddles mopped and trash taken out just for my sanity. None of my children spontaneously did homework but they all cleaned, slept, and cried under the blankets.  :'(

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
@xyliajames  I gave the dad Neat, Geek, and Loves the Outdoors (he was in Tech Guru career).  I gave the mom Neat, Creative, and Loves the Outdoors (I had hopes that she'd paint autonomously, but she never did).  In practice, I gave the parents the Family-oriented traits and Super Parent aspiration, but I really struggled with them interrupting the toddler's actions when I didn't want them to - talking to them when they were skilling, taking them out of the highchair before they ate, putting them in the highchair for no reason when they weren't hungry, etc.  So I didn't use those traits in the actual game - I think it helped because I didn't have as much trouble with that in the game as I did in practice.

For lot traits, I picked Child's Play to help with skilling, Sunny Aspect to help keep them from going to "Fine" and then not having an emotion whim, and Penny Pixies because I was worried money would be a problem - it wasn't though.  I didn't pay enough attention to really know how much money that got me.

I didn't pick Neat for the kids, because when they put the trash in the nanocan you don't get as much money for it as when Watcher drags it over and dumps it.  For example, if a kid throws away a bowl you may get $20, but if Watcher drags it over and dumps it you can get $80.  I didn't want them picking up the bowls, plates and glasses before I got to them.  I saw that with the parents in the beginning, but before long they were too exhausted, hungry and filthy to care about empty dishes.  :D

Something else I learned that I didn't know before was that Sim parents, like real parents, are very resilient.  I didn't know they could get THAT exhausted, hungry and filthy and still keep going.  They only passed out from exhaustion a few times.  I usually take pretty good care of my sims and don't let them get overtired, so I had no idea how far you can really push them.  Pretty far, actually.

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #235 on: March 05, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »
Yeah, I didn’t use the nanocan because I thought it wouldn’t make back its cost. I had forgotten that it gives out $10 per sim in the household since I usually play smaller households. I should have gone that route and not bothered to send anyone to work.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #236 on: March 05, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
@GlazeyLady --- Congratulations on winning this challenge, and great strategy 8)

Here's my strategy:

I had a pretty detailed strategy for this challenge. After toddler Mary came in from CAS with her parents, Victoria and John Bradford. On the first Sim day, John went out to adopt a toddler, and then came back and repeated the process, while Victoria stayed on the lot, and Mary played/skilled/completed whims for toddler satisfaction /took care of her needs (she was independent).  Therefore, by the end of the first day, there were 2 adopted toddlers, for a total of 3 toddlers.  After they each aged to teens, I moved them out to different households.  Then, I rinsed and repeated the process (adopting 3 toddlers each time there was room --- after children moved in with teens.)
I found that when toddlers were first adopted, they came with all needs in the green, so they could start skilling and getting whims right away and go for a pretty long time --- compared to other times in the game.

Both parents had the Super Parent Aspiration and the traits, genius, family-oriented and cheerful, so they did what needed to be done autonomously.  John got a job in the beginning as a tech guru, and he was eventually promoted to Quality Assurance.  Victoria was always on the lot, and she helped out the toddlers autonomously, and cooked autonomously. When children were still on the lot before becoming teens, they liked to play with the toddlers autonomously.

I also set up everything so nothing tall was in the way of short toddlers so I didn’t miss a toddler not skilling or completing whims.  When they needed to boost a skill, I had them make a mess (if imagination wasn’t maxed --- imagination was the only skill I completely maxed after the first batch of toddlers (although toddlers had some 3’s or 4’s --- but 1 skill would be a level 2 most of the time.) I bought cheap stuff (penguin TV, cheapest radio, etc, but spent 1,050 on the stove that’s a little better quality, along with a fire alarm. I set up the house (only an unpainted/unfinished floor bathroom with a tub/shower/toilet and sink and a cheap overhead light and a toddler part with 3 potties and an overhead light in a different bathroom, which was attached to the main bathroom by a door, and everything else was outside and close together --- except the stove which was a little bit farther away from other stuff.  I had 3 toddler beds outside throughout the game, and 6 children’s beds when the first batch of 3 toddlers aged up to children.  I put a painted 4 tile wide wall behind the beds for both types of night lights, above 3 beds, and on the other side of the wall, I did the same thing.  There was a kitchen area, a bedroom area (and the parents slept in their cheap double bed between the toddlers and the children,) a play area which included a bookcase and Wabbit Tablet, a living room with 3 chairs, a dance area and tv area, they ate on their beds, in the chairs, and on the floor/terrain paint grass.

The toddlers wore the following colors (3 toddlers per group)
Mary red clothes, John blue, Genevieve white
Carrie very bright pinky/purple, Grace pink, Helen green 
Rose orange, Frances gray, Betty Lou yellow
Lisa brown, Jeff black, Lane regular purple

Offline cyclonenic

• Townie
« Reply #237 on: March 05, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
@GlazeyLady I thought childs play only worked on child sims and not toddlers?  Also i had the same problem with F-O trait so that's why i avoided it like the plague too :)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #238 on: March 05, 2018, 04:48:54 PM »
@cyclonenic You're probably right about Child's Play - I never tested it, I just figured it was the only one that might help.  But now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing a moodlet related to that lot trait with my toddlers, and given that City Living was released before toddlers were added, it's probably unlikely that they'd go back and make that lot trait work on toddlers. Thank you for mentioning this - I probably wouldn't have thought any more about it otherwise.

anything