Author Topic: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Away from Home (Oct 29)  (Read 16768 times)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Away from Home (Oct 29)
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »
Greetings!  Welcome to my SimTech Dynasty challenge.  All the rules can be found in the Challenges section of this forum.  Many, many thanks to the Challenges Team for coming up with such great content month after month, year after year.  This particular challenge is one that appealed to me right from the start.  I'll be writing it up a little differently than my Sharebear Legacy-- basically, more of a narrative style.  So, without further ado, I hope you enjoy the Tribe of Mann.

Chapters:

Introduction

No Tech Era
A Fresh Start
Close Encounters
Baby Makes 3
Another Sign
They are Growing Up

Low Tech Era
The Move
The Journey
New Alliances
The Spirit of Mann
The Changing Times

Mid Tech Era
The Story Continues
Away from Home

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann Tech Dynasty: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
Members of the Tribe of Mann
Names of family members contributing to the challenge will be in blue.

Founder: Wu
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Co-founder: Hu

Gen 2: Snow

Gen 2 spouse: Lee

Gen 2: Tally

Gen 2 Journey

Gen 3: Avery

Gen 3: Otto

Gen 3: Kay

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
Challenge Stats:

No Tech Era

Goal: max 5 of the following skills-- Charisma, Comedy, Fishing, Fitness, Mischief, Parenting, Singing
1.  Fishing: Hu, day 17
2. Charisma: Wu, day 19
3. Singing: Wu, day 21
4. Parenting: Wu, day 21
5. Fitness: Hu, day 23

Low Tech Era

Max 5 of the following skills-- Cooking, Gardening, Flower arranging, Guitar, Violin, Wellness, or previously unclaimed skill (Comedy, Mischief)
1. Cooking: Hu, day 30
2. Violin: Hu, day 33
3. Wellness: Wu, day 39
4. Gardening: Wu, day 40
5. Guitar: Snow, day 41

Complete 5 of the following aspirations-- Angling Ace, Freelance Botanist, Friend of the World, Outdoor Enthusiast, Serial Romantic, Soulmate, Curator
1. The Curator: Wu, day 24
2. Angling Ace: Hu, day 26
3. Soulmates: Hu, day 30
4. Friend of the World: Snow, day 36
5. Freelance Botanist: Wu, day 43

Mid Tech Era

Max 5 of the following skills-- Baking, Handiness, Logic, Painting, Pet Training, Veterinarian, Writing or previously unclaimed skill (Comedy, Mischief, Flower Arranging)
1. Handiness: Snow, day 47
2. Painting: Snow, day 47

Complete 5 of the following aspirations-- Big Happy Family, Body Builder, Fabulously Wealthy, Friend of the Animals, Painter Extraordinaire, Super Parent, or previously unclaimed aspiration (Outdoor Enthusiast, Serial Romantic)
1. Painter Extraordinaire: Snow, day 49

Builds:

No Tech Era
Lot: 40x30 Cypress Terrace in Willow Creek

Low Tech Era
Lot: 50x50 Oakenstead in Willow Creek

Mid Tech Era
Lot: 50 x 50 Oakenstead Lot in Willow Creek (same as Low Tech)

List of cc used:

I'll do my best to list cc that I used here.  The history challenge cc tumblr page is a great resource.  Also, I've found a lot of stuff directly at blackyssimszoo.

No Tech Era
Low Tech Era
Mid Tech Era

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
The Tribe of Mann: Introduction

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

My name is Wu, of the tribe of Mann.  I am the youngest child and only daughter of the honorable Chief Acu.  Under my father’s reign, the tribe of Mann experienced great prosperity and peace.  But the happy times did not last.  When my father crossed over to the spirit world, my eldest brother became Chief.  Soon after, the famine began.

That was also the year of the Great Winter.  The tribe of Mann suffered not only from a lack of food, but from sickness and the effects of extreme cold.  Our very wise and elderly Sha Mann believed that the spirits were testing my brother to see if he had what it takes to be a Great Leader.  If that was the case, then my brother failed miserably.

When the Great Winter began, several of the Hunters suggested that our tribe follow the herds.  We are a semi-nomadic people, so this was a reasonable plan.  There were others, however, who wished to stay put.  Perhaps the many years of prosperity we had experienced lulled them into complacency and made them too comfortable.   At any rate, my brother could not make up his mind whether to stay or go, and his indecision cost many lives.

By the time my brother decided to move on, we had already lost over half our number.  Morale was low and there was much bickering.  We could not even agree on which way to travel.  Most of the remaining Elders wanted to follow the river to the West.  The Hunters wished to go either South or East.  In a misguided attempt to assert his authority, my brother chose to go North.  North. 

We traveled for three days and then the first blizzard hit.

When it was over, there were only a few of us left.  As soon as the wind and snow stopped, my brother insisted we continue our journey.  My best friend, Hu, said no. 

Hu insisted that another storm was coming. He said we should build a snow cave and wait it out.  My brother called Hu a coward and Hu said my brother was a fool.  In the end, my brother set off again with the others following him.  I stayed with Hu.

Within a few hours, the next blizzard began.  For two days, Hu and I were stuck in the snow cave, huddled together for warmth.  When rays of sunshine finally peeked through the opening of our temporary shelter, Hu went out and looked around.  He came back with a handful of berries and said it was safe to move.   I asked if he had seen any sign of the others.  Hu hesitated before admitting that he had.  Fearing that I already knew the answer, I asked if any of them made it through the storm.  Hu just shook his head.

On our own now, Hu and I journeyed in a mostly southeast direction.   The rocky plains eventually gave way to hills and a vast forest.  That’s when I first started to believe that Hu and I might be alright after all.   Any place where trees could survive, so could we.

On the first day of Spring, we found our new home.   

Notes:  The scenes with the blizzard were done in a separate file.  The official challenge began in a fresh save on Spring day 1.   Per challenge rules, seasons are four sim-weeks long and will remain that way.  For No Tech, lifespan is set to short.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Introduction
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »
Excellent!!  Love the story and way you started it.  I kept mine aside to write about later but got caught up with the two I'm doing.  Can hardly wait for the next post.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Introduction
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
Excellent!!  Love the story and way you started it.  I kept mine aside to write about later but got caught up with the two I'm doing.  Can hardly wait for the next post.

Thanks!  I started this several months ago and wasn't sure whether I was going to write it up or not.  I finally decided to go for it.  I have fewer screenshots for this than my Sharebear Legacy, but I think that will actually make it easier to finish posts.  I'll probably have 10-15 pictures each update instead of 25. 

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: A Fresh Start
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
A Fresh Start

Our little clearing in the woods has everything we need.  There is a cave for shelter, a small pool of fresh water, and a stream nearby with fish. 

Hu helps me find rocks to make a fire ring, then goes off to inspect the stream.   I gather sticks and brush and get the fire started.  As I watch the flames slowly dance to life, I sit back and let myself relax for the first time in months. 

I’m still staring at the fire, lost in thought, when Hu returns carrying two fish.  He beams as he holds them up to me. 

“Full bellies tonight!”  he declares and lets out a whoop.

His exuberance is catching and I find myself laughing.

I’m tempted to eat the fish raw—it’s been so long since I've had meat—but I force myself to patiently roast it over the fire.  I glance over at Hu.  He has his eyes closed, savoring the aroma of roasted fish. 

I’m glad Hu is here.  Or rather, I’m glad we’re both here.  If I had followed my brother and the remainder of the tribe--  I stop myself.  I’m not ready to think about that yet.  I force my mind back to the present.  I’m here.  Hu is here.

This is Hu, of the tribe of Mann.  Hu is the son of Bo, a great Hunter.

Hu and I were born on the same day—the first day of Spring-- and the Sha Mann told our mothers it was a sign from the spirits.

“What kind of sign?” I remember asking my mother when she first told me the story.

“Spring is the season of rebirth.  Two babies born in Spring are a sign of good things to come,” she replied, adding a wink.

I asked Hu’s mother the same question.  “It means you share a special bond,” was her answer.  She also added the wink.

As a very young girl, I didn’t understand all the winking, but I knew better than to ask too many questions.  Now, as these memories flash through my head, something suddenly occurs to me.

“Hey Hu!”  I say, sitting up straighter.

“Hmm?” he replies lazily, lost in his own thoughts.

“Today is the first day of Spring.”

“Yeah,” he responds, then catching my meaning, “Oh!”

“Happy birthday,” we say in unison. 

It doesn’t take long for Hu and I to establish a comfortable routine.  Hu wakes early and spends most of the day fishing.  He’s usually already caught a few fish by the time the sun and I get ourselves up. 

I spend my mornings gathering the wild strawberries and snapdragons that grow near our cave.  Sometimes, I spot a nice rock with a bit of metal or a crystal in it. 

I also search all of the hollow logs for frogs.  The frogs aren’t good for eating, but they are otherwise great resources to have. 

In the early afternoon, Hu takes a break from fishing and we roast whatever he caught that morning.

Then, it’s back to fishing and gathering until the sun goes down.  In the evenings, we sit by the fire if it’s cold.  Or, if it’s warm, we take a dip in the pond.
It’s on one of those warm nights that I notice Hu is deliberately not looking at me. 

Why is he being weird? I wonder. Under normal circumstances we’d be married by now.

It’s true.  Our parents—the whole tribe, really—used to talk about us as if marriage was a given.  Not every marriage within our tribe was arranged so early. In fact, most weren’t.  But with Hu and me, a lot of things were just assumed.  Now that we are of age, there should have been a ceremony.  We should be husband and wife. 

This thought makes me blush, especially when I realize Hu must be thinking the same thing.  I cover up my embarrassment by aiming the biggest splash I can muster at the side of Hu’s face.  He sputters and splashes back and the tension is broken.

We’re still feeling playful later when we get out of the pool.  I can’t stop smiling.  This is a new side of Hu that I’m seeing, and I like it.

Hu grabs both my hands in his—a move that makes my belly do a flip—and suddenly he gets serious.

“Wu, there’s something I have to know,” he says.  “Are we, or are we not, the tribe of Mann?”

I’m not really sure what he’s getting at.

“What else would we be?” I ask, confused.

“We were born into a great tribe,” Hu says carefully. “But now we are all that’s left.  We have to decide: are we going to remain together as the tribe of Mann, or do we try to join another tribe?”

The possibility of joining another tribe isn’t something that ever occurred to me.  I have to admit, though, that it makes sense.  Our chances of survival would certainly improve as part of a larger group.  We would probably be well-received, too, since we are both young and strong and adept at learning skills.  However, we would likely be at the bottom of any kind of hierarchy and we would surely be separated for fear that we might try to start some kind of uprising together.  Could I really let that happen—even if our lives depended on it?

“We are the tribe of Mann,” I tell Hu, in a voice that sounds more confident than I feel.

“Good,” Hu says, exhaling.  I realize he must have been holding his breath while waiting for my answer.  “That’s what I thought.  I just needed to be sure.”

Then he leans forward and puts his lips on mine and I’m so shocked I just stand there like a stone.

Hu doesn’t seem to expect any kind of response, though, because he just turns and heads into the cave.  I stay up most of the night thinking about everything that’s just happened and pray to the spirits that I’ve made the right decision, for both of us.

Notes:  Sorry that some of the screenshots are dark, but Hu and Wu have no lights (not even candles).  I did what I could with editing.
You can see more of Hu and Wu's home in the third post of this thread under Builds.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Introduction and Ch.1 (June 14)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »
I love their outfits, and their looks.  Both gorgeous Sims.  Ah, sweet romance.  Nothing like cuddling together on long nights, eh?  I'm wondering if they will make up a ceremony of their own now they are the only members of their clan.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
First of all, I LOVE THIS! I read about this challenge awhile back and it seemed so cool and much different than the others (obviously). Also I love the play on words you did with their names. I chuckle every I read "Hu mann" and "Wu Mann", wonderful job! Can't wait to see more soon :)

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 11:34:02 PM »
I love their outfits, and their looks.  Both gorgeous Sims.  Ah, sweet romance.  Nothing like cuddling together on long nights, eh?  I'm wondering if they will make up a ceremony of their own now they are the only members of their clan.
Thanks!  I always like the beginning of a challenge when they don't have much but each other.

First of all, I LOVE THIS! I read about this challenge awhile back and it seemed so cool and much different than the others (obviously). Also I love the play on words you did with their names. I chuckle every I read "Hu mann" and "Wu Mann", wonderful job! Can't wait to see more soon :)
Thank you! I tried to resist starting this challenge while I still had my legacy going, but eventually I caved.  I'm glad you appreciate the names.  I've wanted to use Mann for awhile now and this seemed like the perfect family for it. 

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Close Encounters (June 15)
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 12:13:26 AM »
Close Encounters

There’s a new understanding between Hu and me.  Since we’ve decided to try to make it on our own, we’ve both been working extra hard. 

Hu studies the fish and decides to use my snapdragons as bait.  As a result, he brings home bigger fish more often.

I’m still harvesting and digging and looking for frogs.  I’ve also figured out how to breed the frogs.

The warm weather we’ve had lately brings out the wildlife.  We see bears, raccoons, and even some large rodents.  Most of the time it’s not a problem.  The animals around here are brightly colored and easy to spot from far away.

Even so, we experience a few close calls.  One morning, a raccoon startles me while I’m out collecting. Luckily, it doesn't follow me.

But the scariest encounter happens one morning as Hu is getting up to go fishing.  A bear comes right up by our cave and prowls around for several hours.

Eventually the bear leaves.  I sleep through the whole thing, but Hu tells me the story later.

One morning, Hu surprises me by coming back early.  When I ask him why, he gives me a goofy smile.

“I didn't go fishing this morning,” he admits. “I've been working on something and today I finished it and I want you to see it.”

I look around, wondering where he’s hiding this mysterious object.  Hu kneels down and clasps his hands together.

“My family ought to be negotiating with your family, but since none of them are left, we’ll have to settle this ourselves,” Hu says.

I feel a lump forming in my throat.  Is it because he mentioned our families?  Maybe it's because he really doesn't need to do this, but he's doing it anyway.

“Will you, Wu, daughter of the Great Chief Acu, be my bride?” Hu asks. He pulls a ring from his waistband.  He’s made it from a piece of bone and polished it until it’s smooth and shiny.

In a daze, I take the ring and hold it up between my thumb and forefinger.  It gleams and sparkles in the sunlight, brighter than any crystal. 

I realize Hu is waiting for an answer.  I don't know what to say, so I just turn to him and nod.  Hu grins and stands up.  Without thinking, I leap into his arms.

The next morning, we say our vows beneath the big oak tree.  It is our tribe’s tradition for marriages to take place at dawn because the sun rising symbolizes hope and new beginnings.   

Since we do not have a Sha Mann to perform the ceremony, we do our best to remember the vows on our own.  Fortunately, our efforts please the spirits and they shower us with white and gold sparkles as we finish.

It is unlucky to work on your wedding day so we enjoy a rare day off.  We watch clouds…

We sit by the pool…

We inspect the bushes…

After everything we’ve been through, we’ve never been happier.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
What a lovely wedding.  And then, "inspecting the bushes"!  Your writing is so clever and the words are so appropriate.  I can hardly wait to see how the Mann clan proceeds.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »
Lol, inspecting the bushes! I really like how thought out every section of your story is and how it flows easily into the next scene. Very well done!
Congrats Hu & Wu <3

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »
I love how this is shaping up. You're really a good storyteller.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Re: The Tribe of Mann SimTech Dynasty: Baby Makes 3 (June 20)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
@Joria @kattiq @reggikko :  I'm so glad you are reading, and thank you for your very nice comments! 

I lost power while trying to post an update the first time, let's see if I can finish this time!

Baby Makes 3

A few months after my marriage, the spirits send me a sign.  I am out collecting when I see the gold and white sparkles, and I know immediately what it means.

I find Hu at his favorite fishing spot and attempt to explain my vision.  At first, Hu looks at me with concern because I’m so excited that I’m not making much sense.

Eventually, I manage to string together enough of the important words— “spirits…sign…nooboo” --- for Hu to understand my meaning.

Then, Hu throws his hands up and offers praise to the spirits.  I put my hands up, too, and jump around like a crazy woman. 

Traditionally, an expectant mother in our tribe would be kept out of sight and waited on by other women, but I don’t have that luxury.  Hu and I only have each other, and I’ve got to keep working.  Hu tells me it will be alright, and I can’t help but believe him.

I weave a basket for our baby to sleep in, and Hu makes a tent from the furs he’s been saving.  And then it starts raining.

And it rains, and it rains, and it rains.  And that’s okay because the rain makes everything greener, and Hu and I are a whole lot cleaner.

Late one afternoon, the rain stops and is replaced by…snow.  Hu and I are in the pool when the weather changes.  The air is warm, the water is warm, and yet, it is snowing.  I haven’t seen snow since the Great Winter, and this snow is nothing like that.  This snow is unexpected and gentle and soft.

I find the situation so funny that I get out of the pool, stand in middle of our clearing, throw my arms out wide, and laugh. 

That night, our baby is born.

Hu and I feel that we have no choice but to name him Snow.

In the morning, I perform the naming ceremony by presenting him to the rest of the tribe—which in this case is just Hu.

“You are Snow, of the tribe of Mann,” I say. “Firstborn son of the reigning Chief Hu and grandson of the Great Chief Acu.  May you always find favor with the spirits of our ancestors.”

Now we are a tribe of three.

Notes: As much as I love a good name pun, I had no intention of naming this kid after a snowman, or of making a GoT reference.  But when it snowed in the game and the baby was a boy, I had myself a good laugh and typed it in.

Also, I wish the Off the Grid lot trait had been available when I started this challenge, but I guess it doesn't matter since they didn't have plumbing or electricity anyway.   :)

anything