Author Topic: House Hunters Challenge: The Baker's Dozen  (Read 35351 times)

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
Re: House Hunters Challenge: The Baker's Dozen
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »
This year looks like it will be the year of last minute sprints for me. I just logged in to see when this challenge ends (was sure is next Sunday) and I just realized I have 8 hours to finish this (and I am at my 3rd home in the trial run)

Wish me luck everyone  :o

WP

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
This year looks like it will be the year of last minute sprints for me. I just logged in to see when this challenge ends (was sure is next Sunday) and I just realized I have 8 hours to finish this (and I am at my 3rd home in the trial run)

Wish me luck everyone  :o

WP

Good luck, Whimsical! And you can post your current score if you don't finish.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
My sims ended up with 2,888,677 for their 13 homes. Can't wait to read strategies.

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
Midnight came here  :'(

My dear sims have moved into the 7th house and the score including the 7th house is 607048

Cheers,
WP

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
We switched to summertime in Denmark today, and nearly made the fatal mistake to look at the wrong clock and then put in my score to late.
The score ended up being 4,367,325

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
OK, 13 houses gets me £4,455,261

Can't believe I've done so well, here's hoping it lasts.

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
Ember and Jana D'Main got $3,287,756.

I thought I had a good strategy but I guess others thought it out more than me. Can't wait to read what you guys did!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
Total value of my 13 flipped houses was $3,142,417.

That took longer than I expected, been at it all day. This will teach me not to procrastinate until the last day.

On the plus side, neither of my sims died this time!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
My 13 houses had a final value of $5,643,722.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2018, 08:54:02 PM »

I think that deserves a Tommy Boy...Holy Schnikes!!

Offline xyliajames

• Nooboo
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
 :o

@reggikko, wow! I suspect we’ll be offering you our congrats in a few hours so let me go ahead and get mine in. Congrats!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »

I think that deserves a Tommy Boy...Holy Schnikes!!

Haha. I'm never sure until you say it's closed, but thanks!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2018, 06:34:42 AM »
This event is now closed.
Great job to all participants. @reggikko came in with an 11th hour performance that really sealed the deal. Wow. Very impressive. @cyclonenic PM'd the team yesterday with her strategy because she is going to be out of town most of this week and was unsure of her ability to post herself.

Sims Set Up: Roommates, both Cheerful, Good, Dance Machines with Renaissance Sim (Q Learner).
(Almost went for LTO and Business Savvy, since skilling wasn't really part of this challenge and in hindsight I would have probably started as BS with more testing).

Day 1: Bedlington Boathouse, Brindleton Bay $19,331 Lot Trait: Natural Light (NL), Home Studio (HS), Penny Pixies

Get both sims to painting level2 then set up Painting Factory Club with condition “painting lvl 2+”.
Invited Anaya, Ulrike (level 5),  and Brent (level 4) and initially Jesminda (level 5). Replaced Jesminda with Alice (level 4) when realised pregnant women do nothing but stand around complaining they need to give birth during permanent club meetings!

Worked on Soulmate Aspiration for reward points for Connection whilst painting club produced paintings for me to sell.

Lot Value: $20,793

Day 2: Slipshod Mesquite (Zest), Oasis Springs $25,594 Lot Trait: NL, HS, Science Lair

Finished Soulmate for Connections reward.
Work on getting Frugal for both sims (stacks).
Cycled through careers (leaving Astronaut, Detective, Tech Guru as 3 highest paid @ level 4) remaining on Scientist. Worked to get 3 breakthroughs needed for SimRay.
Note: I don't think you need both sims in the Scientist career to use SimRay, I just did it as it was easier for me to keep track of.

Added sim 7 and 8 to club: random townies called Karim and Gilberto.

Lot Value; $26,568

Day 3: Rindle Rose, Willow Creek $36,774 Lot Trait: NL, HS, PP (used from here on out)

Built 2 x SimRay and upgraded both to Transform.

Started transforming the $275 post modern shower stall (cheapest shower) as it transforms to higher valued showers, fridges, grills and easels (for the painting club, painter career ones) including the occasional $14K Schmapple Fridge.

Club: Worked on RTT then Happy 2 and 3.

Lot Value: $112,708

From here on out my sims transformed showers whilst the 6 painting club members made artwork for my sims to sell.

To get very focused: Citrus Soak $30 (+2), Ponder Moves, Studied Fossil/Element, Looked at Focused Object/Art, Happy Vibes Club (+2/3) and Good Vibes (from trait).

Rewards worked towards: Carefree (for Fun), Independent (for Social) and Antiseptic (for Hygiene). Energy, Hunger and Bladder maintained by Rally the Troops.

Aspirations work towards: Mansion Baron (for rebate) and Fab Wealthy (for investment) (hindsight MB not worth it for money lost in completion versus rebate seen)

From here on out use $15K violins and $8K statues + nearest valued objects to get the 8AM lot value as near to next house price as possible.

I am going to put some figures in the rest of the days so people can see that whilst mostly strategy based, the RNG gods needed to smile in your favour too for this challenge :)

Day 4 The Lighthouse (Bjornbergs), Windenburg $159,037

Sims: Astro Career Vacay 1

Highest Masterpiece: $3852 Ulrike Surrealism, Schmapple Fridges: 5, Fires: 0

Lot Value: $170,033

Day 5 Rio Verde, Oasis Springs $176,637

Sims: no work

Highest Masterpiece: $3493 Karim Surrealism, Schmapple Fridges: 4, Fires: 1

Lot Value: $188,789

Day 6 Hounds Head, Brindleton Bay $192,767

Sims: Astro Career Vacay 2

Highest Masterpiece: $3436 Alice Surrealism, Schmapple Fridges: 3, Fires: 0

Lot Value: $199,544

Day 7 Straud Mansion, Forgotten Hollow $202,339

Highest Masterpiece: $4621 Brent Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 8, Fires: 1

Lot Value: $219,999

Day 8: Affluista Mansion (Landgraab), Oasis Spring $228,909

Sims: no work/switched to Painter (in hindsight if I did more testing I would have split the painter career for my sims over more days to utilise the “sell to art gallery” feature more)

Highest Masterpiece: $3253 Karim Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 8, Fires: 0

Lot Value: $249,963

Day 9: Ophelia Villa (Goth), Willow Creek $254,721

Sims: Painter Vacay 1

Highest Masterpiece: $4682 Gilberto Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 3, Fires: 2

monday bills: $5525

Lot Value: $256,937

Day 10: Cypress Terrace (S-K-L), Willow Creek $257,077

Sims: Painter Vacay 2

Highest Masterpiece: $4672 Karim Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 6, Fires: 0

Lot Value: $258,989

Day 11: Oakenstead, Willow Creek $260,938

Sims: Painter Vacay 3

Highest Masterpiece: $4477 Alice Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 6, Fires: 1

Lot Value: $274,831

Day 12: Von-Windenberg Estate (Villareal), Windenberg $275,205

Highest Masterpiece: $4061 Brent Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 6, Fires: 0

Lot Value: $312,791

Day 13: Yuma Heights, Oasis Springs $314,608

Sims: quit painter, joined detective then Tech Guru

Highest Masterpiece: $1261 Alice Abstract, Schmapple Fridges: 1, Fires: 0

Interest made: $115,710 and $121,969.

Became adult at 8PM on Friday

Lot Value: $2,409,534

Final Lot total: $4,701,479

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
Congratulations on winning this challenge @reggikko!  I can't wait to see what you and others did.

Great strategy @cyclonenic :).

Here's mine:
My 2 YA Sims were married and both got jobs as tech gurus right away in the morning of Day 1.  They did their "work homework" at the Willow Creek Archive on the computers there --- and take a disco nap on the ottoman near the computers, if needed.  They eventually became Ace Engineers. 

They came home to sleep and shower --- and sometimes to eat.  I bought them each a cooler, so that they could eat if they were out.

Both Sims had the following aspiration/traits: computer whiz, genius, dance machine and cheerful. 

Lot traits of each home: penny pixies, gnomes (so they didn't have to pair for repairs or waste time repairing stuff) and private dwelling.

Each of them took 3 separate days off to harvest plants and trees, dig for things in as many places as possible, and fish for extra cash.  They also harvested, dug and fished after their work homework was completed ---- until they absolutely needed to go home and sleep.  They got up at 6:30 a.m. each day to do their morning routine before it was time to buy their next house at 8 a.m. each day.  At 9 a.m., they went to work from the new house.

They purchased the 13 cheapest homes in the game, across all worlds, but they did finish all 13.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2018, 08:57:35 AM »
I based my strategy on the fact that each house depreciates as soon as you move in. If I had bought the highest value house my Sims could afford, I would have lost over $300,000 in depreciation over the course of the challenge. Secondly, if I was “improving” lots as much as possible, I would have lost money buying violins or other high ticket items. Each violin depreciates by $3000. That adds up quickly to a lot of money lost. Instead, I focused on the least expensive houses—fewer buy mode items in a house means less money lost to depreciation. Instead of losing over $300,000, I lost only $33,462. I “improved” all but the second to last house by either adding a couple of the $525 columns (no depreciation on build mode items) or leaving something I transformed (more on that later).

The houses I moved to and their final values were:

1.   Nookstone 13,550
2.   Proprietor’s Square 13,524
3.   Crick Cabana 15,567
4.   Streamlet Single 16,335
5.   Daisy Hovel 16,897
6.   Rustic Residence 16,934
7.   Sandtrap Flat 16,731
8.   Havisham House 18,002
9.   AgaveAbode 19,014
10.   Widowshild Townhome 19,265
11.   Bedlington Boathouse 24,678
12.   Slipshod Mesquite 191,916
13.   Hound’s Head  5,261,309

I chose Hound’s Head as my final lot because, despite being relatively expensive, it only loses $17,907 to depreciation. In contrast, Yuma Heights, the game’s highest value lot loses $47,994 as soon as you move in. When improving Slipshod Mesquite, I just left a bunch of stuff I transformed on the lot rather than wasting money buying stuff.

Now, here’s how my challenge went. Initially, I was going to do the painting club. I rejected that strategy because one of your played Sims has to sell the paintings and that took time away from transforming.

My Sims were a married couple. Their traits were Loves Outdoors, Loner, Cheerful. Both Sims started with Fabulously Wealthy. Lot traits were Private Dwelling and Sunny Aspect. As soon as they moved into Nookstone I had them both join The Good Timers and then they also started a home club.  Good Timers already has Rally the Troops, so by joining that club I could start using it on my home club immediately. They started a club gathering and began working on Soulmate, which they completed at 10:52 Sunday night. Both bought connections and joined and quit all careers except Astronaut, Tech Guru, and Scientist. The Sim that was going to enter the Scientist career joined that last and the other Sim joined Astronaut last. They used Astronaut and Tech Guru for vacation days. Neither Sim ever actually went to work.

Once the career joining and quitting were over, the Sim in the Science career started working on breakthroughs by reading, tinkering, fishing, and showering while the other Sim dug up the necessary metals and crystals. By Monday at 5:30PM both Sims had completed several levels of Fabulously Wealthy (money from joining careers and selling violins via personal inventory) and were able to buy Carefree. This was a vital reward trait because it would prevent tense moodlets from fires and low fun. At 9:20PM Monday, the transforming began. I bought the Colorblock lockers ($200) for transforming. By Tuesday at 8AM, they already had $286,457. I made an average of around $500,000 a day.

I timed the completion of Fabulously Wealthy to the first Friday at 10AM because I wanted the payout to be based on my highest cash amount. On the last Friday at 10AM, my Sims got $243,308 and $255,473 in interest. I spent Friday transforming until just before 8PM, when they were due to age up, and then just bought Schmapple fridges and columns with all of their cash. I didn't sell anything they transformed but left the items to increase lot value.

I didn’t keep track of how often we got a Schmapple fridge, but if I had to guess, I’d say we got anywhere from 2 or 3 to as many as 8 or 10 in a day. The Sim Ray caused 8 fires over the course of the challenge. I rarely transformed anything more than once except in the cases where I got the cheapest shower or fridge or if the locker did not transform at all. Sometimes I would re-transform the spa day shower if I got it because it seemed like it had a higher chance to give me the fridge, but mostly I just transformed, sold, set up again, and so on. I set things up like an assembly line and had my Sims just move down the line transforming, only taking breaks for Rally the Troops and showering. I bought Antiseptic on the first Friday but I think I may have done better to get Steel Bladder. Even though Rally the Troops fills the bladder need, it’s also the one that decays the fastest, so I had to do Rally the Troops most often for low bladder.

Whew! I think that’s everything, but if anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer them.

anything