Author Topic: Graphics Help - AMD Radeon RX 580  (Read 5371 times)

Offline hannahbullistic

• Nooboo
Graphics Help - AMD Radeon RX 580
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »
Hello!

I recently got a new gaming pc specifically to play Sims 3 since there is no console game, so my ps4 is no help. Anyways, I was following along with a forum that had me change/add a few lines in the 'GraphicCards.srg' and 'GraphicRules.srg' I typed: or match("${cardName}", "*RX 580*") into the GraphicCards.srg under vendor "NVIDIA". I also changed the specs so that it would allow 1024 MB(1GB) instead of 32MB <<OVERRIDE>> in 'GraphicsRules.srg' but once I rebooted sims and rechecked the DeviceConfig it still says: Name (database): Radeon RX 580 Series [Found: 0, Matched: 0] (also it says it's running OS version:      Windows 8  6.2.9200 when I actually have Windows 10 home 64-bit?) btw I am not very tech savvy and this is my first forum and first desktop.

Update: So I went back and made sure there were no errors wherever I modified something and now my DeviceConfig page is only displaying :=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Graphics Help - AMD Radeon RX 580
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:23:37 AM »
When the DeviceConfig.log is empty that means that you need to update your video drivers.

Finding and Updating Drivers
http://help.ea.com/en/article/finding-devices-and-updating-drivers/

If the above doesn't help, try uninstalling the graphics driver and reinstall it.

Uninstalling AMD drivers
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hannahbullistic

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:57:29 AM »
I did both of these things and it's still empty? Could I have made an error somewhere in the GraphicsCard.srg or the GraphicRules.srg?

IS it bad for the graphics card to play the sims 3 if the DeviceConfig page is empty?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
I have attached a zipped file that has both sgr files in it. These should be recognized by your graphics card and game, as well as hopefully allow the DeviceConfig.log file to show the information correctly.

Download and unzip. You can overwrite the current .sgr files with these. - Delete or overwrite the old graphic files with the new ones.

You may need to load the game to main menu and exit to make the Deviceconfig.log file be aware of the change.

Then the DeviceConfig.log file should be able to say "Found: 1, Matched: 1"
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline hannahbullistic

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »
Okay, so last night I had uninstalled sims 3 and all of the files and reinstalled them this morning so that the DeviceConfig file wouldn't be empty. Just now though I copy/pasted the new GraphicsCards.srg and GraphicsRules.srg that you sent me- I pulled up sims 3 before checking the DeviceConfig file and I found the DevicConfig file empty again :/

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
I checked over both files and saw that I didn't do the texture memory thing in GraphicsRules.sgr.

seti textureMemory       1024
#  setb textureMemorySizeOK false

So I edited that, zipped the files again and re-attached the file.

Offline hannahbullistic

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
And we are in business! :D
"Name (database): Radeon (TM) RX 580 Graphics [Found: 1, Matched: 1]"

Thank you so much for your help! This has been a great learning experience for me :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything