Author Topic: TAB Mode Controls Not Working  (Read 6429 times)

Offline anisimelle

• Nooboo
TAB Mode Controls Not Working
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
Hello everyone!

Ever since I first ran the game (without any mods, any custom content at all), I haven't been able to use the Q key in tab mode to get the camera lower. The E key to get higher is, to my annoyance, working perfectly.

I've even tried camera mods, nothing works.

There's Fraps and ReShade running at the same time as the game, but I don't think that causes any conflict since it didn't work even when I wasn't using anything to alter the gameplay.

Otherwise, the keyboard works just fine. So it's not a hardware issue.

I run the game on Windows 10, if that helps at all.

Thanks for any help, Ani.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: TAB Mode Controls Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »
Exit both Fraps and ReShade, they may be interfering with the way the Tab controls work.

-- It has been reported that screen capture/recorders, instant messengers/video chat or VOIP programs, like Discord may cause issues with Sims 4 and may need to be turned off or uninstalled if issues are severe. Also turn off any overlay those programs may cause issues as well. This is to be sure the program and it's overlay isn't interfering with the game.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline anisimelle

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
Exit both Fraps and ReShade, they may be interfering with the way the Tab controls work.

Sadly, that didn't help at all :( But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Offline wa-wa-world

• Vaguely Confused
  • Occult
  • Hi I'm Anna its nice to meet you
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »
Have you tried repairing your game through origin, or trying a different savefile?

In Origin > Games Library, right-click on Sims 4 and select Repair.
Gallery Id: Soda_Stealer

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:53:40 PM »
Here are a few more tips:

1. Make sure you don't have any mods that may interfere with trying to use tab mode. To test this, move your mods folder to the desktop, and clear the game cache and delete the localthumbcache.package from inside the Sims 4 folder and try again. This helps troubleshoot game and mod/cc issues.

-- Even if you don't play with mods or custom content installed, it's a good idea to clear game cache and the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder.

Delete Game Cache Files (What and How-To)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29288.msg401662#msg401662

2. Disable Game DVR and Game Bar. These are known to cause issues with some games.

How to Disable Windows 10’s Game DVR and Game Bar
https://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how-to-disable-windows-10s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

3. Turn off Origin In-Game:
Open Origin, Select Origin > Application Settings > Origin In Game tab and click the on/off switch to disable Origin In Game. - This deactivates Origin In-Game, as it has been known to cause problems with games.

4. Repair Game:
In Origin > Games Library, right-click on Sims 4 and select Repair. - Do note this repairs the game's install files for the actual game. It does not make any changes to the saved game files. Meaning that your saved games are safe, they won't be deleted. If you'd like you can copy the Sims 4 folder to a USB key.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline anisimelle

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »
Thank you both for all the suggestions, tried all of them, and it still isn't working. I just don't know what to try anymore, I think we've exhausted all the options :\

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
I thought I'd mention this even though you might have already tried this?

A Sims 4 factory reset, with new game no mods folder or old saves.

Try a Sims 4 Factory Reset - (What & Howto)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29292.msg401669#msg401669

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »
Silly question - Are you using the Sims 3 camera style?

To get a closer/lower shot you may need to change your camera view in the game settings. Using the Sims 3 camera style you can get a much lower angle.

To change to the Sims 3 camera style go to the Options menu > Game Options > Game Camera - then check The Sims 3 Camera.

Offline anisimelle

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
I thought I'd mention this even though you might have already tried this?

A Sims 4 factory reset, with new game no mods folder or old saves.

Try a Sims 4 Factory Reset - (What & Howto)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29292.msg401669#msg401669

Do you think that a factory reset might work, even if the Tab Mode Q control never worked in my game to begin with, not even when it was fresh installed?

And yeah, I'm using the Sims 3 camera. I mean, not being able to get lower isn't bothering me all that much, but it's an annoyance.. Sometimes I just want to get a different shot and I just can't.

I'm beginning to think it's something about my laptop 'cause I have literally never seen this issue anywhere else.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
I don't know for sure if a Sims 4 factory reset will work, specially if it's not an issue with the game. It maybe that there's some kind of conflict with another program on your computer that's not allowing you to use specific keys.

I've asked this before, but want to make sure that none of these types of programs are interfering with the game.

Do you have any screen capture/recorders, instant messengers/video chat or VOIP programs, like Discord and/or any overlay programs installed? These have been reported to cause issues with Sims 4 and will need to be turned off or uninstalled.

Do you by any chance have Sims 3 installed? If so, are you having any issues using tab mode in the game?

I've seen similar issues, and came to find the cause was one of the programs listed above. The reason why was that it had the same key combination as Sims 4.

Offline anisimelle

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 04:42:31 AM »
I do actually have sims 3 installed, and it all works fine in that game.

I don't use any of the programs you listed.. I shut down like every other program before running the game to test the functionality.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
Trying to avoid uninstall/reinstall unless absolutely necessary.

If you used to use a non-US keyboard and are using one now you may need to look up how to change the keyboard mapping in windows.

anything