Author Topic: Missing Origin Program  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
Missing Origin Program
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »
Before I get into this problem with Origin, I need to explain what has been happening with my computer lately as it might have something to do with it, I hope you don't mind.

About a month ago, my laptop cooling fan stopped worked so I had it replaced, but the new one I have is running all time, I took my laptop home with the intention of returning it to deal with this problem some other time.

A few days ago, I shut my computer off in the middle of updates and then it refused to boot up again for hours, I keep getting this error message about not being able to access the Boot Drive or something. It gave me the option to refresh my PC which did nothing, then a few hours later it booted up, while doing so I got a bunch of message telling me it was preparing my PC Settings, installing apps etc. So now it works but all my apps got uninstalled including Origin, so I downloaded and installed that.

Now here's the problem, today after turning my computer on I get this error message saying that Origin can't start as it's missing this program: Qt55vg.dll and I need to install it. Except I don't know how to do this or even where to find this thing.  :-\ I have submitted a report to Origin and am waiting to hear back from them, I haven't tried playing any of the games on my account so I have no idea if they work or not. (I'm a bit afraid to, tbh).

Can someone help with this? I don't want to mess with things if I don't know what I'm doing (Which I don't), I could really use some help here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Missing Origin Program
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »
When I've run into problems with Origin, I found the easiest thing to do is uninstall, run Ccleaner and reinstall.

Uninstall/Reinstall Origin
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21898.msg431239.html#msg431239

However, some have had luck with deleting Origin cache files and reinstalling Origin.

Delete Origin Cache Files (What and How-To)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29289.msg401663#msg401663

Neither of these options will delete Sims 4, as the game and Origin are installed in separate folders. If you're concerned backup your Sims 4 folder to the desktop before uninstalling Origin.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:53:55 AM »
Posted by: MrsFlynn
« on: Today at 12:27:24 AM »
Neither of these options will delete Sims 4, as the game and Origin are installed in separate folders. If you're concerned backup your Sims 4 folder to the desktop before uninstalling Origin.

When you say that reinstalling Origin won't delete Sims 4, do you mean my saved games/files? As I don't really have any right now. Will I need to reinstall the Sims 4 after this? Should I remove my Mods folder and CC before going ahead with this? I'm going to try this option first I think.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
It won't delete any of the Sims 4 files, neither programme or user, so you won't have to re-install Sims 4 and you will keep all your saves .  If you want to do a backup first then the folder to copy to desktop is the EA one in your 'My Documents' folder.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
The problem seems to have corrected itself as I'm no longer getting those error messages so it's possible that Origin did something after I contacted them, weird.  :-\

I'd like to still do the clearing of the Cache thing but I can't find the files you mentioned, where exactly are they?  :-\

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
Here's a how-to with photos that better explains how to clear Origin cache

How to Clear Origin Cache
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *