Author Topic: Launcher Not Closing Out  (Read 4781 times)

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
Launcher Not Closing Out
« on: August 23, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »
Hi, I don't know what's causing this, but my launcher is not closing out when I close the game. The first time I noticed this is when I went to shut down my comp for the night and I got a msg saying that there was a program (the launcher) still running. Now, I have to go into task manager and manually close out the launcher before closing down my comp. Is there any solution to this?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Launcher Not Closing Out
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
Updated: Sept.9.2018

The post linked below gives a tip on how to stop the script error from happening.

Sims 3 Launcher Running in Tray While Playing
https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Sims-3-launcher-running-in-tray-while-playing/m-p/7010161#M231841

The script error doesn't effect gameplay, meaning you can still play the game. It's just that if you open the launcher at any point during the game, you will need to manually close it down or use Task Manager to close it. Open Task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) search for a file called Sims3Launcher (32 bit) Right click on it and select End Task.

To fix this, see the tip Puzzlezaddict gives. I've tried it and it works really well and I can still add files to the downloads folder and install files.

What is happening is that the launcher is trying to connect to EA servers and timing out while doing so. Making the launcher give that error.

Things I've tried:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
I think I'll ask over at the official forum and see if anybody there knows. I hope EA didn't change this. Once I close the game down, usually it's for the night and I don't need the launcher.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
I did find others having the same or similar issues.

Sims 3 Launcher Running in Tray While Playing
https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Sims-3-launcher-running-in-tray-while-playing/td-p/6993691

Sims 3 launcher running in the tray
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/946906/sims-3-launcher-running-in-the-tray

-- Just tested this again. My launcher didn't close. It gave me a message:

The upload process is running. Do you want to cancel this process and exit the application? I click okay, and it closes.

–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »
Thanks! I'll try it. I can understand the launcher running while I'm playing, but not closing out when I close the game.

You were right! It did fix the problem. I just closed it out and the launcher closed w/it. I wonder though, if the problem is related to many saved games in the folder? I do have many saved games.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
I don't think it's related to too many saves in the saves folder. As I have 8 saves right now.

What seems to be happening is the launcher is getting stuck in an upload process that can't be finished. Unless you close out the warning message or close it using Task Manager.

Open Task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) search for a file called Sims3Launcher (32 bit) Right click on it and select End Task.

What I find a little odd is that I just did a factory reset June. So whatever went wonky did it between then and now.

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 02:01:26 AM »
I play a lot of multi generation families in the apocalypse style. Over time, I think things get a bit wonky.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
I hate to say this, but this was short lived. I don't know if it's b/c I transferred some of my saved games or what, but the launcher refused to close down by itself last night. :(  Back to the drawing boards.

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 08:26:00 PM »
Well, I did go to the EA forum and it seems as though many players are having this same problem. As the lady who responded to me said though and as you have said, it doesn't affect game play; it's just annoying to have to manually close down the launcher after a play session. The only way around this is to bypass the launcher to open the game. : /

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
Playing offline works. I don't get the warning message when opening the launcher.

When I tried playing online again I got the warning message. It's definitely something in the launcher that is trying to connect to something. What I don't know.

Online Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 10:27:51 PM »
I never get any msgs when I open the game or play it, just when I try to close down the comp. After I end my play session, the launcher is still running. I have to close it out manually.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
Right. I think what's happening is that the launcher is crashing because it's trying to do something it can't.

anything