Author Topic: 2018 Tournament Finale: That Belongs in a Museum!  (Read 21729 times)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
Re: 2018 Tournament Finale: That Belongs in a Museum!
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
My sim completed 19 collections and all 5 aspirations (20 components)

Total Score = 1900 * 2.0 = 3800.

*goes into shock*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZWFEFwgBw

LOL

This was really an example of pushing to the very end - I'd finished 17 collections and was feeling good about that.  I had 2 that I thought there was no way I could complete them with only a little over a day left.  But I figured I should go to the end, and in the end, the game gave me what I needed.  The last three messages were the notice that the collection completed, the notice about the last item of the collection, and the first message from grim - all showing the exact same number of "minutes ago" - that's how close that last collection was.  Once it's all done, I'll post that screenshot, but since it shows which collection it was, I'll wait a little longer to share it.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
Wow, @GlazeyLady  -- that's called hanging in there!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2018, 10:33:19 PM »
That's totally awesome @GlazeyLady!  I'm excited to see that screenshot and how everybody did after time is up for everyone.

Good luck to everyone finishing before the deadline in your timezone 8).

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2018, 10:52:18 PM »
Congratulations GlazeyLady.
I can see i was close, but not close enough. I got to 18 collections, and all 5 aspirations completed. Which is clearly not enough to take the lead.
I am glad I set a timer to remind me to send in my score, being in another timezone really messed me up a bit haha.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2018, 11:57:01 PM »
Okay I'm done.

I finished with 5 aspirations done and 7 collections complete. I should not have waited til this late to start.

7 complete collections = 7 X 100 = 700 pts

CM =  = 1.00 + 1.00 = 2.00
Total = 700 X 2.00 = 1400

Good night

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2018, 12:11:43 AM »
Lol, my sim has a few more days left but his watcher is burned out.

He completed 4 aspirations and 15 collections.

15 x 100 = 1,500 pts
CM = 1.00 + 0.8 = 1.8
1,500 x 1.8 = 2,700

I can't believe this is the last challenge of this year's tournament!
Thank you, Challenges Team, for bringing us so much fun and...challenge! ;D

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2018, 04:45:08 AM »
I was too tired and I still had about 8-10 days to elder so i decided to just go to sleep.

My brain didn't tell me to post a partial score :)))

But waiting to see the strategies :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2018, 05:01:18 AM »
Woaw. I'm impressed by those hight scores.
Some collections felt impossibles.
I'm really impatient to see what you collected.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2018, 06:32:03 AM »
And that's a wrap, everybody. This event is now closed. 22 players participated in the Finale. Great job to everyone, and of course, a special tip of the hat to our 2018 season Champion and winner of the Finale -- GlazeyLady, but more on that later after I compute the World Ranking.

Thanks for all the participation, guys. I am so proud of everyone. My awesome team of wonderful ladies -- MarianT, sdhoey, LenaLJ, and Trip -- I could not do this without you. *huge hugs* I am very happy that more players participated in the 2018 Tournament events than last year, so that's a great thing. The team will take a couple weeks off, and then we'll post the first rule set for 2019.

Happy holidays, everyone. :)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
This challenge was a great wrap for the year, although it's hard to believe the 2018 season is done.  I'm off to work, but will post my strategy tonight.  But I wanted to share this screenshot - with about a day-and-a-half left, I was missing one metal (a Selvadorada one) and two crystals (one from Selvadorada and the other was Shinolite).  I considered stopping there because the likelihood of getting those in such a short time seemed so low.  But I sent my sim to Selvadorada and had her head to the temple, only stopping for dig sites - which there aren't many of - none around the cantina because I'd just dug those up on a previous trip.  She ended up getting the metal in the temple near the first set of traps, and then downstairs in the same temple, got the crystal.  Kind of unbelievable.  So I sent her home - she had about 5 hours left.  Sent her to Oasis Springs, then the area behind the businesses in Willow Creek, then the area by the tree that goes to Sylvan Glade - all she did was dig for crystals.  I had no expectation that she'd actually get Shinolite, I just could quite make myself give up.  It was quite a surprise when she actually did get it.  I sent her home and paused the game to help my granddaughter with something and didn't see the call from Grim until I came back, so that's why the screenshot was 26 minutes later, but as you can see, completing that collection was just barely before the call.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

So this is another time I'd like to be able to really see what's going on under the covers.  This makes me wonder if there's something in there that increases the chances of getting what you need when you have a collection nearly finished and focus on actions that attempt to get it.  I guess it could just be that in all the other digs these didn't come up, so the odds were just that it was time, but . . . . 3 items in a day and a half?  I don't know.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »
Well I'm going to start the pictures going.  It's the only time I'm going to be 1st with something :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »
Great shot, HelenP. I see you employ the "bear in the woods" mode of living that I typically do for challenges. Less walking = more efficiency. :)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2018, 03:39:01 PM »
Congratulations on winning the tournament this year and this challenge @GlazeyLady!  Great ideas for challenges this year, team.  It will be interesting to see what you guys think of for next year 8).
Awesome picture, @HelenP.

I collected the Fish, Decorative Egg and Insect collections, and completed the Fishing and Outdoor Enthusist aspirations, and got the first 2 milestones of Freelance Botanist.

She earned always welcome, morning sim, night owl, savant, and some other stuff, but since weather was off, she didn't need anything to protect her from heat, cold or rain.  When she became an elder, she bought some moodlet solvers to help her out before the call from Grim.

My strategy was to set up Flora Nature's home lot first.  I set the season to summer for 28 days and turned off all weather and had it not affect Sims.  I made her an unpainted 1X2 room with a cheap door to fit the cheapest toilet and a cheap sconce.  Outside, she had cheap bookcase and some handiness, herbalism and gardening books (fishing books aren't worth it.) and a trash barrel. Then, I bought her portable bed (more comfy and gives more energy than a tent for the rest of the nights), shower, cooler, tent for her 5 nights in a tent and the cheapest portable radio.  I set her home lot traits to peace and quiet to level faster with the books she read, homey and private. 

I sent her to the fishing spots in Willow Creek first (near the gym) because I had her work on and complete the fishing aspiration first.  Then, it was on to Oasis Springs in the park.  I sent her to various home world spots, and had her level on handiness by reading books and upgrading the radio and the toilet on her home lot, as well as other upgrades when we got to Granite Falls to get those fish, and the jungle fish (and buy some stuff to protect herself while fishing in the jungle) on another vacation, and finally opened up the Forgotten Grotto for the batfish in between vacations.  In a practice file, I got a batfish quickly at Forgotten Hollow, but then, I practiced with handiness, and it was easier to get at the secret location.  I also had her have an egg hunting holiday, and she got all the eggs in trees and the cabin from the big forest lot in Granite Falls forest.  After finishing the fishing aspiration, she went back to Granite Falls to do the Outdoor Enthusist aspiration and had to fish again for that part of the milestone, and She also read some of the herbalism books, and made herbal remedies on the Hermit's stove mostly.  She got all the insects because I researched where they spawn during my practice files. She got 2 milestones for Freelance botanist on her home lot between vacations, and I changed the lot traits to the gardening one and private one. 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
I was too tired last night to remember to take a shot of my sim's home lot.
But here's a weird shot of the gnomes.
In my single, allowed holiday, I choose the Gnome tradition among others. Things got a little hectic, so I left the gnomes out.
Strangely, they retained their halos and continued offering seed packs.
This shot was taken five days after my holiday ended.

At first, I was ecstatic but then I discovered that, no, those seed packs couldn't be sold for 100G each.
And since time passes while opening the seed packs, I just left them there for the duration of the challenge. (I had to move some to make room for other things)
This is my first time playing TS4 since the two latest updates. Is this a glitch?

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »
Collections

Microscope Prints (called over a handyman to mentor my sim in handiness and upgraded the microscope to get these faster); Space Rocks (from space missions); Geodes (Sixam); Aliens (space missions and Sixam); Experimental food (bought a chef station and hired a chef - can get 4-5 plates per hiring, so have to keep hiring; did this one while working on the "sleep 5 nights in a tent" task because this provided food while not using Rally the Troops and my sim didn't spend time cooking); Feathers (started with 3 cats, took them to the dog park and finished this in a day); Frogs (Looking for frogs and breeding - it was helpful that the "Look for frogs" option at the pond started working again); Insects (oddly, the Bee was the most difficult - she got stung 3 times before she actually caught one).

My Sims (mostly dig sites, got the last couple at the Flea Market); Magic Beans (got them from the rare seed packets; the red one is missing - I only had 1 and I used it to get the Forbidden Fruit); Snowglobes (got them all at the Flea Market, all at one time); Holiday Cracker Plushies (bought crackers until I got them all); Voidcritters (bought the packs until I got them all); Elements (sent extra crystals and metals to the Geo Council until I got them all); Decorative Eggs (Egg Hunt at Willow Creek Park - fast because there are so many flower bushes all together at the front of the park); Metals & Crystals (dig sites - spent a day and a half just digging at scientist work location; got some from Flea Market); Postcards (Pen pals); Gardening (mostly seed packets; bought Growfruit at Granite Falls, fished up cowplant berry, got UFO fruit from space mission, harvested quill fruit on Sixam, Got Glow Orb and Fang Flower by grafting cuttings with garlic, spent satisfaction points on the money tree seed, Forbidden Fruit from the Mystical Magic Bean Portal Tree, bought pomegranates and Bonsai Buds from the Purchase Gifts option on the phone, bought wolfsbane and plasma fruit on computer,  harvested the Granite Falls produce - Toxic Chamomile is missing - I only had 2 and I used them in the Clear Mind Distillation)

Initial setup and general notes:
  • Sim Traits: Insider, Loves Outdoors, Cheerful
  • Lot: Tranquil Crescent in Newcrest - because there are frogs, dig sites, and 2 fishing sites with a lot of variety of fish
  • Starting Lot Traits: Great Soil, Homey, Home Studio
  • Seasons:  Start in Summer, 28-day season; no rain/thunderstorms; no snow/blizzards, weather does not impact sims
  • Buy pile of presents at beginning and take/sneak presents throughout the game - sometimes get collectibles and can sell everything else.
  • Join Good Timers (for Rally the Troops); Create Collector club and have the members paint and sell the paintings
  • Flea market - go straight to the table that a vendor fills with collectibles, buy what you need, and travel to another lot immediately; come back and a new vendor will have new collectibles.  Do this over and over through the Flea Market day to optimize what you get from the Flea Market.
  • When exploring space, if the mission is one that doesn’t give something you need, cancel it so rocket will come back quicker.
  • Start early on Freelance Botanist - I planted all garlic because they grow so fast

Aspirations:
  • The Curator - first because it's so fast, so you get quick satisfaction points. Use them on Connections and get job as Scientist. Use Wishing Well to get promotion to Level 5 and invent the cloning machine - use it to clone moodlet solvers, Fungal Infusion Fertilizers and Insect Repellent Liniment
  • Outdoor Enthusiast - Complete insect collection while working on the aspiration; sleep the 5 nights in the tent on home lot while working on other collections such as Experimental Food Photos, Postcards, Voidcritters, Plushies, etc.
  • Jungle Explorer - buy everything you can from the market vendors (using items on the card challenges can get you good rewards such as crystals and relics); Raise Selvadorada Culture Skill to 5 at the cantina in a club gathering with the skill boosted - do it early so this is already completed when you get to that task and you don't lose time leaving the jungle in order to progress with the aspiration; try to finish Milestone 3 before completing the first temple so that opening the first chest will count toward the Milestone 4 task; high gardening skill is helpful, because if you lose your machete and there aren’t any at the vendor table, you can clear the gateways with your hands faster and more successfully when gardening is high.
  • Angling Ace - Fish in club gathering with fishing boosted
  • Freelance Botanist - Plant 20 garlic outside in the first couple of days and fertilize with pomegranates (one pom per garlic plant - you can do more, but only the first one gets the quality boost); when you can fertilize again, use poms again - this will get you to the first evolve; put 6 in home inventory (only need 5 but sometimes something goes wrong, so I saved 6 just in case); When can fertilizer again, use poms followed immediately by a Fungal Infusion Fertilizer - this will get you almost to the second evolve. When can fertilize again, use poms - they will always get you to the second evolve (other things would work too, but I stuck with poms because they consistently worked); put 11 ready-to-evolve plants in home inventory until you're on milestone 4 of the aspiration.  The other three plants are for the grafting requirement of milestone 3 (I had these from the beginning just in case one or two plants failed to reach the evolve state - so I could be sure to have 10 that did get to that state); plant the cow berry as soon as you get it - if it's grown before Milestone 4 of the aspiration, just put it in home inventory until you need it.

I've tried to cover the main things I did without writing a book, but if anyone has questions - where to find a particular insect or how to breed to get the frog you need or which space missions to cancel - just ask.  Of course there's a lot of luck involved but if there's anything I can help with, I'm happy to share what I know.

Thanks to the Challenge Team for a really fun year of challenges!  And to all the players who participate, because really, this is so much fun because we're all doing it together.

anything