Author Topic: 2018 Tournament Finale: That Belongs in a Museum!  (Read 21933 times)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
Re: 2018 Tournament Finale: That Belongs in a Museum!
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »
Wow! What a great strategy @GlazeyLady.  Congratulations again on winning this year and this challenge 8).  I agree that everyone doing these challenges at the same time is really fun, and it's great to read everyone's strategies.

Offline SueDenim

• Townie
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2018, 03:28:25 AM »
Congratulations @GlazeyLady

Snowglobes (got them all at the Flea Market, all at one time);
Could you explain this in more detail? There were never snowglobes for sale at my Flea Market.  I tried to trade a few times, but kept getting duplicates.  Was this just that I was unlucky? Or was I looking in all the wrong places?  I'd really like a complete snowglobe collection for one of my legacy games - they don't have one either.

Also, I'm blown away by your strategy.

The only things I did that were interesting:
  • Sent my dog hunting while I was going through Selvadorada. I got 11 of the 12 feathers that way (one of my close, but not quite collections)
  • Did all of my space prints at the telescope in San Myshuno - taking breaks to go collect city posters, frogs, & snowglobes (another all but 1 collection)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
Thank you for your detailed strategies and tips, @GlazeyLady !
It never occurred to me to return to the Flea Market in hope of a different vendor selling objects from a different collection!
Buying a chef station and hiring a chef to complete the experimental photos collection--another brilliant idea!

I have never completed the insect collection and would like your advice on how to find them all.
I've always gone about it haphazardly and do not know where/when they spawn. Is knowing that info crucial?
Besides the food photos and insects, I could not for the life of me finish my collection of space rocks and aliens.

I don't have anything to add to GlazeyLady's great guide.
In my game, I disabled Vampires and Jungle Adventures in the hope of completing more collections.
I ended up finishing my 4th aspiration with time to spare but wonder if I could have completed fishing & crystals with JA's additional "stuff."

Congratulations on winning the tournament, @GlazeyLady - extremely well played!
And @LenaLJ -- it's always a pleasure to hear your strategies, too! No. 2 by only .008 points?
Hats off to both of you for teaching us how to get more out of our games!

Enjoy your well-deserved break, Challenges Team.  Looking forward to another great year in 2019!
Echoing GlazeyLady's sentiments, it's been a pleasure playing with everyone, folks!

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:36 PM »
GlazeyLady, congratulations on your win and great score. I really enjoyed reading your strategy. I too had no idea you could visit the Flee Market several time.

The collections I completed were, in order:

Frogs
Postcards
Geodes
Experimental food pictures
Crystals
Magic beans
Aliens
Insects
MySims
Elements
Metals
Cracker plushies
Plants
Spaceprints
City Posters

I left everything I had installed, just because I didn’t want the bother. I would probably have been better off without Vampires, and maybe Wellness too (altough that only matters for fish, and I didn’t do those. I bought Seasons a few days before the end of this challenge, but didn’t install it until after I finished. I don’t have Jungle Adventures, so 4 aspirations was the max for me. Also, this wat the first challenge I played with Get Together, and I used rally the troops a lot.

My Sim was an alien, which was useful for transmuting crystals, metals and elements, and bringing to life dead aliens. She was also a geek and kleptomaniac and loved the outdoors. Klepto was based on idea from Oshizu’s legacy: you can steal insects from the cottage in Granite Falls! You do need mischief level 8 though, so I determined only to use it and level mischief if I couldn’t find the insects myself in a reasonably time. I did, so there was not a lot of stealing.

She completed The Curator, Angling Ace, Outdoor Enthusiast and Freelance Botanist in that order. One of the first things she did was visit the produce stand in San Myshuno. It makes for a good start on the gardening collection, and when planted, a start on the gardening skill. While working on the Curator I did start to fish, mainly to be able to start fertilizing (pomegranates would have been more efficient, I guess, but I didn’t think of that). It is also a useful activity when waiting for things to spawn (especially city posters). In the first week, she also started work on her rocket, just pausing to write to pen pals, and breeding frogs at the same time. The rocket got her to Sixam, for geodes, alien plants, crystals and metals, and found her some aliens and space rocks. Sadly I never found the large space rock. Aliens were also found on the Science career lot. Once I had found all of the dead aliens, I could revive the duplicate to complete my collection. She did also join the science career after buying Connections. I had planned to work on one promotion, to get the cloning machine. The game refused to create colleagues, however (even after repairing game and clearing caches), so she couldn’t progress enough (or ask colleagues for metals and crystals). The career was still useful for its dig sites. I bought Professional Slacker later on, so she could come back later and not do any work in the meantime.

Her first trip to Granite Falls lasted two days and got her through the first three tiers of OE. She got all of the wild plants, and 19 insects, which was better than I had hoped for. I did check where to find the rare ones, in the guide and other sources. The main one for me to know is the Dust Spirit. It only comes out at night and I’ve only seen it next to a fishing spot in the Forest. On her second trip, after finishing her aspirations, she got the last two, the dragon dragonfly and the fire ant. The dragon dragonfly appears next to the waterfall in either the Forest or the Hermit’s area. Most of the time those places will spawn regular dragonflies. I was lucky on that second trip that the dragon dragonfly spawned right away. The fire ant is actually common, but it took me a while to see it.

It took me a while to figure out how to do experimental food pictures in a reasonable time. I had her go to Chez Llama with her club, but she could only take a picture of her own food, and sometimes of that of the person sitting across from her. This way, it takes forever. The solution: order, then click ‘fishing together’, cancel the action. If everyone is away when the food arrives, you can sit at their chair and photograph. And while waiting for the order, you can pop open some holiday crackers. The staff and other guests don’t seem to think that’s weird at all.

I planted a cowplant fairly early on, but when it had grown, I promptly let it die. Oops… So I was very happy to learn that a dead cowplant still counts for the Freelance Botanist aspiration. After getting gardening to level 10, I started buying rare seed packages. I did the magic bean collection this way, and that enabled me to get the forbidden fruit. Together with the produce from San Myshuno and flowers from the Romance festival (including the UFO fruit, which was a pleasant surprise – I never could harvest anything there pre-patch) this almost completed my gardening collection. The bonsai bud remained elusive, no matter how many rare seed packages I bought. It eventually grew on a grafted plant when I had little time to spare. (And now, with Seasons, I can buy them on the computer, which feels unfair, lol.)

Transmuting as well at the analysis table from the Science career helped to complete the crystals, metals and elements collections.
Space prints I also mainly found in San Myshuno Meadows, while also waiting for posters to spawn. I did get a little lost in translation getting the last space print. Because I play the game in one language and use the guide in another (and didn’t pay enough attention) I thought I was missing a different print than I actually was and kept stargazing instead of searching for the truth. I noticed in time to complete the collection, luckily.
Microscope prints seemed doable, but I just didn’t have the time.

Finally, a big hats off to the challenge team! Even though I only participated in a few events, I really enjoyed them. If I find the time, I might play some of the challenges from this year just for myself.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
Congratulations @GlazeyLady

Snowglobes (got them all at the Flea Market, all at one time);
Could you explain this in more detail? There were never snowglobes for sale at my Flea Market.  I tried to trade a few times, but kept getting duplicates.  Was this just that I was unlucky? Or was I looking in all the wrong places?  I'd really like a complete snowglobe collection for one of my legacy games - they don't have one either.

Thank you, @SueDenim

Snowglobes are very frequent for me at the Flea Market, but not always the first thing, so leaving and coming back has been the key.  Sometimes a vendor will be selling all but one or two, but about half the time all of the snowglobes will be available from one vendor all at once.  Maybe try leaving and coming back - I did nothing else on Flea Market days, so I got a lot of trips and a lot of vendors, and I usually had snowglobes 2 or 3 times each day.  When my sim arrived, I had her go straight to the table where the collectibles appear and wait for the vendor who would arrive at the table shortly.

I didn't spend much time trying to Trade for Collectibles because whenever I did, I only got duplicates of things I already had. 

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:20 PM »
I have never completed the insect collection and would like your advice on how to find them all.
I've always gone about it haphazardly and do not know where/when they spawn. Is knowing that info crucial?
Besides the food photos and insects, I could not for the life of me finish my collection of space rocks and aliens.

Congratulations on winning the tournament, @GlazeyLady - extremely well played!
And @LenaLJ -- it's always a pleasure to hear your strategies, too! No. 2 by only .008 points?
Hats off to both of you for teaching us how to get more out of our games!

Thank you @oshizu!
There is a YouTube video that helped me find everything - I need to check this forum's policy on linking to videos because I can't remember what it is, but if I can't post the link here I'll message it to you.  Also, I will provide some additional info that I know about where to find the insects - I've found them to be pretty reliable, although the commons can present more of a problem than the rares sometimes because several commons spawn in the same places, one at a time - so you'll get insects spawning in those places very reliably, but by luck you could see, for example, ladybugs 3 times in a row before you get bees one time.  I'll get you more info on locations and times within a couple days - I'm working on a map that shows where they are.

Also, I want to say a big congrats to @LenaLJ - it was fun "battling" over the top spot and I owe you a big thank you for all that you've shared about the game and your strategies.  You've helped me to be a better, and more efficient, player.

Offline SarahSims

• Nooboo
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
Just adding my screenshot to the collection  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2018, 10:05:36 PM »
Awesome job, too, @LenaLJ!  It was exciting to see if you or Glazeylady would get the top spot.  So, so close, though 8).

Great strategies, everyone.

I found a great You Tube video about where insects spawn in Granite Falls.  If it's allowed, I'll post it, and if not, I can p.m. it to you, if you want it.  Of course, reading Carl's guide is always crucial, as well, but I needed to find every insect, and now, I know where they all spawn.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2018, 01:42:23 AM »
@Nandarelle

We both completed 4 aspiration and 15 collections, but you had the more interesting strategy by far!
What a smart idea to choose an alien for your challenge sim.
Your choice of collections also fascinated me.
Here is your list of collections; I crossed out the ones I couldn't complete but added the ones I did finish on right. ;D
Frogs
Postcards
Geodes
Experimental food pictures Voidcritter cards
Crystals
Magic beans
Aliens Fish
Insects Garden plants
MySims Decorative eggs
Elements Snow globes
Metals
Cracker plushies
Plants
Spaceprints
City Posters Microscope prints

I also liked your idea for collecting the experimental food photos!
I don't have anything to add to everybody's great strategies.
Oh, one new thing for me is that for the first time since I got Seasons, I tried the "Collect Swarm" and "Pollinate Nearby Plants" quite vigorously to speed up plant evolution.
One doesn't have to evolve 10 plants--just harvest 10 items from the Excellent plant then plant them.
Looking forward to next year's tournament, everyone!

@GlazeyLady
Thank you for the extra help with the insect collection. I swear I will complete one day!

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »
Maybe I can add one "trick" it's that there is often a selling table at the art gallery in San Myshuno. It's not everyday, but it can be useful, and it's were I found my globe collections.

I got stuck on some parts, one insect never appeared (the jewel beetle).

I did the aspirations in a different order, as I started with outdoor enthousiast, getting a head start in fishing/collecting/frog breeding there, and to not have to leave the house too much before starting my garden.

But I tried too many tests file on this one to balance things that I burned myself out before the real file. Well, it's still a good lesson.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
@oshizu From what I can see, it is okay to includes as long as the link doesn't break the teen rating, and this one doesn't so - Where to Find Insects in Granite Falls by King Millie was really helpful to me. 

I will also provide some additional images hopefully this week but over the weekend at the latest.  I'm looking forward to you telling me you found ALL the insects in, say, 3 sim days!  ;) 

Offline Nomac

• Nooboo
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2018, 04:42:31 AM »
This challenge was great; I'm really fond of the nature aspirations (even though it is a lot harder when you aren't allowed to switch between them), so it was right up my alley and I had a lot of fun during my test runs. I was actually relieved that we were allowed only one sim plus pets, because it's easier to focus, I find.
When I finally created my scoring file, it was really late in the challenge and I wasn't sure how far I would come. My sim was also an alien, so he could transmute items and wouldn't be abducted, and joined the science career. However, the last patch bugged my game and, like Nandarelle, when my sim showed up at work he had zero co-workers, and since I had about six days left and tons to do in real life anyway, I decided not to further pursue this challenge. It was fun, nevertheless and I'm looking forward to the next round!

Reading all the comments here, I went into shock. There are many, many things I was completely unaware of and I have a bunch of questions. For example, I was under the impression that decorative eggs were a seasonal collection, like sugar skulls. You can go egg-hunting?! I had no idea. How... do you do this?
Presents, I take it, are a feature of "Seasons"? I don't own this and would rather not buy it, either, because I'm put out that it changed the whole plant system, which I found to be much easier before. Is Seasons also the only way to collect magic beans? (Another collection I thought was a once-a-year challenge..) Rare seeds can't be purchased without the expansion, or am I wrong?
Growfruit.. can be bought? :o
That you could start a club meeting while on vacation was also news to me (and I've tried). Maybe it is only possible at the cantina?
Congratulations @GlazeyLady @LenaLJ and everyone else, and thank you for sharing strategies. Having a Handyman mentoring your sim in handiness is ingenious!

Enjoy your time off and happy holidays everyone. I'm in joyous anticipation of next year's challenges... hoping for another vampire one. ;D

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
With Seasons, you can use the calendar to set a holiday to have an egg hunt @Nomac :).  Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you enjoyed doing the challenge!

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
I used the same awesome video to help me to find where all the insects spawn @GlazeyLady 8)!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »
@Nomac  I believe you do have to have Seasons to buy the rare fruit seeds, so, yes, that's the only way I know of to get the magic beans.  Growfruit can be bought from the little supply stand in Granite Falls - that's the only place I know to get it.  Bonsai Buds can be bought from the Purchase Gifts option on the phone - but I just noticed that and I'm not sure if that is part of Seasons or was part of the patch right before Seasons (you didn't ask about Bonsai Buds but I thought I'd throw it in - took me awhile to notice that).  The Cantina is the only place I found that you can start a club gathering while on vacation.  I'm pretty sure I got the idea of having the handyman mentor my sim from some other ingenious person, but unfortunately I don't remember who at the moment so can't give credit.

I was reluctant to buy Seasons as well and preferred gardening before - I feel like it's more difficult and complicated now to grow a garden and raise the quality of the plants.  For me, gardening went from one of my favorite activities to one of my least favorite, and I rarely include it in my games anymore unless I need to for a challenge or to meet legacy requirements.  But there is a lot of good stuff with Seasons that I really like.  Key are the present pile, the holidays, the calendar, the grand meals.  I don't care much for the rain, but the snow is so beautiful - the graphics of it really are awesome.