Author Topic: Is it possible to switch career branches?  (Read 18691 times)

Offline Jase~

• Occult
  • Legacy Player
    • Jase's Sims
Is it possible to switch career branches?
« on: November 25, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »
Hi fellow simmers!

I have a small conundrum here...  :-\

While playing a family, I unfortunately selected the Musician branch of the Entertainer career path when I should've selected Comedian since my sim has the Joke Star aspiration.  I've tried having the sims quit his job and reapply, but I only have the option for Musician instead of Entertainer in the career/job options.

I've tried scouring the internet for tips/cheats and couldn't find anything.

Since alot of gameplay happened for the rest of the household members between the start of the last save and my major faux paus, I really didn't want to have to recover to a previous game save and loose everything.

Does any know of anyway to get the option of the Comedian branch or am I just out of luck?

Any advice would be much appreciated too!  ;D

You can read it here from the beginning.

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Re: Is it possible to switch career branches?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
Hi Jase~

First step, I think, is to have the Sim quit the job until they're back at the branching choice. Then have you tried having the Sim do bad at the job, so that they get demoted? I don't know if this works, but I've thought about trying myself. Since I've been in the same predicament.
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 01:59:17 PM »
I've seen the option to switch career branches in deadpool's mod, Master Control Command Center, though I've never tried it.
In an unmodded game, there is no way to switch to the other career branch--even with cheats, if I remember correctly.

There's talk in the below thread about a demotion ploy such as Nindigo suggests. It doesn't seem to work consistently.
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=28195.0

So sorry about your unfortunate click of a button. :/

Offline DarkWalker

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:01:21 AM »
In theory, if you want to avoid mods, you can:

1. Use "save as" to create a new copy of your save. You don't want to mess your existing save if this fails. I'll call this "Save A".
2. On Save A, have the sim you want to change branches leave their job, join a different one, empty that sim's inventory, then export the household to the Library. Save the game and go back to the main menu.
3. Start a new game with the exported household, but only keep the sim you wish to change the career of. You should now be able to leave the bogus career you joined before and join the career you wanted to change the branch of, starting from the start. As soon as the sim is in the correct, non-branched career, export the single-sim household again.
4. Go back to Save A, delete from Manage Households the sim you changed the career of, and merge the version that is in your Library.

If everything went well you should have your sim in the desired career before the branch, with as few side-effects as possible — though the side-effects are likely to include the loss all the relationships of the sim that you messed with. The last time I tried this was 4 years ago, though, so I'm not sure it still works. Even if it works I would keep the old save for a while, in case you decide the side-effects weren't worth it.

Explanation: saving a household to the library only keeps part of the sims info, and the past careers weren't kept, at least last time I looked at it. The trouble with this method is all the other information that isn't kept.

Offline Jase~

• Occult
  • Legacy Player
    • Jase's Sims
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Thank you for all the replies...
Except for a smaller mosaic mod, I usally play the game without mods; however, I found that using the MC Command Center to be the easiest way to do it since demotion ploy wasn't working.

My sim is now happily working in the comedian branch and I removed the mod once fixed.  :)

You can read it here from the beginning.