Author Topic: Cleaning up my game to make it run smoother?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Kay

• Nooboo
Cleaning up my game to make it run smoother?
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:31:59 AM »
I am trying to clean up my game and delete folders and things to get the game running faster and smoother. I have looked and read post after post on which folders and things I can do to just do a clean up. I know i can delete ( CasPartCache.package, ScriptCache.package, SocialCache.package, CompositorCache.package, SimCompositorCache.package )
and delete ( DCBackup except in the folder do not delete ccmerged )
But I am so confused about

Collections
Content Patch
CurrentGames.sim3
DCCache
Exports
FeaturedItems
IGACache
Installed Worlds
Library
Recorded Videos
Saved Outfits
Saved Sims
Saves
Screenshots
SigsCache
Thumbnails
WorldCaches
and then you have this other stuff
device config
launchermanifest.pid
load option
options
tslus.bin
user presents
version.tag
and then you have this other stuff like
xcpt B00mer24 and the date then 15.23.14
xcpt B00mer24 and the date then 15.23.14.mdmp
and more just like this with other dates and some the same date
just hoping someone could really help me. there are so many things out there and some say this and some say that but it would be nice to know just what to do thanks.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Re: Cleaning up my game to make it run smoother?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 03:07:12 AM »
* Please note: I am not an expert on any of this. Please wait for one of the Flynn's before doing anything that I say I have done below.

These are things that I've done in the past and my understandings of them.

I've deleted the xcpt files from my game in the past. They are the files created when your game crashes.
WorldCaches - if you play in a world that you have purchased from or have received free from the store (eg Monte Vista/Dragon Valley/Riverview/Sunlit Tides etc) a copy of the world file is put in here so that it loads quicker when you return to it. I have deleted these items in the past.

Screenshots/Recorded Video - these directories contain the screenshots (<C> Button) and videos (<V> Button) you take/record during the course of the game. If you copy them/save them elsewhere or have finished with them (or in my case, click V when I mean to click C), you can safely delete them.

Saves - The Saved Games - I don't know enough about these to say what to delete/keep here. I always do my deleting of the games from within the game itself on that screen where you choose to start a new game or play an existing game

Saved Outfits/Saved Sims - This is when you save a sim/household to bin and where you modify outfits in create a sim. Once again, I don't know enough about this more than that to suggest what is safe to delete

User Presets - this is where the stuff you save in options in game goes. I deleted this once, and it all reverted back to the default settings.

The other things, I really don't play around with, I'm sorry.

Once again, I'm not an expert on any of this, and I'd strongly suggest you wait for Mr/Mrs Flynn to chime in. Here's a nice treat for you MrsFlynn :) *Leaves something virtually tasty behind*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Cleaning up my game to make it run smoother?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
There are things on your list that I am not familiar (Launchermanifest.pid and the xcpt files.)

You may want to ask over at Sims 3 AHQ tech forum about those files.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/bd-p/the-sims-3

What I like to do when cleaning out my game to help it run as smoothly as possible is back up the following folders/files onto an external drive or USB key:

DCBackup
DCCache
Downloads
Exports
InstalledWorlds
Library
Mods
SavedSims
Saves
Screenshots

Options.ini file
userPresets.package

These files and folders will be recreated next time you launch your game. But it will be as if you're starting from a fresh new folder. So mods, custom content and store content will need to be reinstalled.

Backing up these files and folders will mean you have a backup of saved games, store content, Mods and custom content, houses, families and community lots you've made or saved to the library. And your game options file and userPresets.package files.

* Options.ini - Video and game options
* userPresets.package - Saved patterns/textures/colors

If you are unfamiliar with any of these files/folders I have talked about and want to learn more about them, please see Crinrict's page explaining about them.

Sims 3 User Files Explained -
https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything