Author Topic: Island Living - First Impressions  (Read 4129 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Island Living - First Impressions
« on: June 19, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »

What's your first impression of the Island Living Expansion?

Please keep on topic of first impression of the pack. If you have questions regarding this pack, please create a New Topic so we can better help with questions.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline TomasGrizzly

• Townie
Re: Island Living - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 02:47:09 AM »
The launch is not worldwide at the same time, Europe gets it at midnight Paris time (23:00 London time) - at least that's what Origin shows to me.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:52:09 PM »
No, the release is according to your time zone. I've had the game for quite some hours now being in New Zealand. I'll pop back later for a detailed first impressions post. But I will say it is a very beautiful world.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 04:13:22 AM »
First, shallow, impression.  Shallow because I had to cut it short due to company arriving.  First of all it is a gorgeous world.  BUT, I think I would like it a bit bigger.  However, haven't even really begun to explore it thoroughly and there really might be enough.  Plenty of buildable lots, which is a big deal for me,  and quite a few inexpensive places to call your own that are not as shabby/ugly as most that have been built.  Low level but adequate appliances etc. but nice looking and good enough for a starter home.  First time I did not immediately have to hammer junk and start over with the shell so for me, that says a lot.  There are chickens!!!  You can't play with them, (at least I haven't figured out how), but the way it is in rural Hawaii you find chickens roaming everywhere so very authentic.  As a matter of fact, it really looks like Hawaii/Polynesia.  I've not been near the volcano yet, but stuck to my little house on the beach.  I did cross over a bridge, (actually she swam over instead of following my desire to have her cross the bridge), and got pretty tired because it was a long way.  I made a big mistake.  I chose spring time as my beginning time and it does pretty much nothing but rain.  Not fun and it's making my Sim tense.  Of course, I've only been there one day and one night.  The bar was ok.  Crowded with very friendly natives but could use a rebuild.  I'll work on that at some point.  Speaking of shells, if you find a conch and blow it you will get several shells right at your feet.  That was a pleasant surprise.  I don't know what else it does but I think it might call mermaids at some point or dolphins.  The jet skis and outriggers are awesome, although my Sim has not ridden in one or obtained one.  Still, awesome.  The reef under the water is gorgeous and I can hardly wait to really explore it.  If you walk on the beach you can click on it and "Beach comb" for either shells, or trash!  So far has not found either but it was interesting.  I think she would have one heck of a backache from all the bending over and brushing sand away.  You also get the option to build a sandcastle which she has not done yet.  My only minor, and I emphasize that it is minor, complaint is so far swimming in the ocean does not increase fun or hygiene and she is very low on fun at the moment.  Had her first experience with cava.  You know how the neighbors come to call and bring that awful fruitcake?  Well these bring cava, so a good time was had by all.  Why I was so excited and delighted over chickens I don't know, but I was.  Just made my day, but then in RL I happen to like chickens, they're cute and they cluck at you in a most familiar and friendly way.    The clothes and hair are really nice.  A bit wild for my taste but perfectly suited to the inhabitants and very attractive.  My sweet Leilani, (my Sims name), will look great in them.  I normally don't like tatoos on most Sims but these tatoos are lovely and appropriate and very tribal looking.  (Maori?)  So far has not found a fishing spot and has not tried fishing from her deck or anything but has found a fishing trap.  Interesting.  Also, has not found any harvestables, but again, time was short for me.  She made grilled cheese for her guests who were surprised at the meal, something I guess they were unfamiliar with, but loved it.  So, on the whole, it was definitely worth the money spent and I look forward to really getting the time to explore it.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
Played a little last night and this afternoon. Probably have not scratched the surface yet.

First the bad. It's small. From what I can see, 3 islands (neighborhoods). What's worse is there is a lot of impassable territory. Basically, you can walk on the sand. All that lush, green scenery is off limits.

4 new plants for your garden. Pineapple, coconut, taro root and kava root.

Several new fish. I caught one that was an "endangered species" and had the option to catch and release. Also fished up several treasures that are part of a new collection.

Explored 1 cave and found nothing.

There are buoys in the middle of the ocean that allow you to snorkel. Tested it for a bit with a high fitness sim and they can really swim fast in the ocean. But snorkeling and swimming just add to your fitness skill.

You can interact with dolphins, but the one I met didn't stay long.

There were some new food options at food stalls, but none of my sims learned the recipes after eating the dish. Not sure if they are just included in the cooking skill.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
The scenery is absolutely gorgeous.  Everything is crisp and colorful.  As for the game play, so far, what I have played, it was worth the money and it is a blast to play.  A lot of new items and things to do.  I fixed up a couple of the lots and then went and got one of my older families that I play and took them there to visit.  They had a blast.  Over all so far, I really like it.  Just have to give it a chance, it just came out today. 
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »
Well, I've thought a bit about this as my thoughts probably go against most other views but this pack really is very lacking in game play. The world itself is stunning and I adore the Polynesian flare as being a New Zealander this is very familiar and dear to me. The patterns are beautiful, the new CAS clothes and hairs are to die for and the male mohawk is killer (can't stress that enough, that hair should be illegal). It seems with each pack we get the textures and colors improve noticeably and this pack is no exception, it is beautifully made and is gorgeous to look at. The lighting is beautiful, particularly the paths of the island at night.

But... this is where it sort of ends for me. The new swimming style is fab but I'm somewhat bemused as apart from swimming in circles around a pool or out to a buoy to do some rabbit hole scuba, there is sort of nowhere to swim. Swimming or sailing doesn't take your sim to more game play...it just takes them to well... an increase in fitness skill, or back around to your sims home. My sim has jumped from his deck and then swam out to his fish trap to check it, which was pleasing and I love the addition of the fish trap, its also killer. Having spent years in my teens doing such actions it really brought a smile to my face. I love being able to fish off the out-rigger canoe, spent years doing that as a teen during summer also so that for me is another nice detail touch.

The career is great with having a reward trait for each branch when you max it but just by game-play style I almost never play careers with my sims so for me it will only get used once if I need to answer something here or on the guide. I'm not a fan or mermaids although I love supernaturals they just don't interest me. I'll play one and then maybe have to come back and edit in something great about them...

So I'm left with really just the beautiful world, which is fine but most of me feels quite disgruntled on dropping $50 on a new world for my sims to live in. This pack comes to life if you have many of the other packs and for me that leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I noticed that finally the fire dance from Get Together makes sense and tbh looks amazing around the bonfires in Sulani with the new CAS outfits on, but what if I don't have Get Together? Then I can just stand my sim around one and look at it... Again, I'm torn as I really like that prior packs seem to really fit well into new packs and visa-versa but then each pack should stand on it's own with a ton of new game play too. 

The Elementals and the lot traits add a nice little bit of interest and afford some pretty good moodlets that are long lasting. I like that the devs have configured it so other sims from other worlds do not come wandering around in Sulani and hopeful they might implement this into other worlds.

So how to summarize, well I like it and sadly I would buy it again despite it feeling like I've been a little bit ripped off - which is such a weird dilemma - probably because this is the first time a sims world has come pretty close to my real life world and feels familiar to me in a deeper way. 

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:11:08 PM »
@Playalot :  I agree.  While it is lovely, costumes and hair are great, it does leave a lot lacking and in some ways, it messes up your other Sims playing.  It's minor, but how often did you have a starving Sim who helped them self to left overs on a picnic, table?  Can't do that now because all grilled food goes directly into inventory.  I'm sorry but that is just wrong.  I almost feel like it's a nice place to visit, have a vacation home in, but except for endlessly cleaning up debris for the career, it doesn't offer a whole lot.  And having to have a home that is on the grid is also a pain.  Nice for cave men but not so nice when your job requires you to do research on a computer, which the Conservationist career does.  Even lap tops don't work, although I guess that makes sense.

There is still more to explore.  I chose the 40x30 lot with a fishing sign on it, small island off to the side of the volcanic one, which is perfect for working on that island but so far she's roughing it, being off the grid.  I am amused by the fact there are more things that increase fitness, which is important in the careers, and logic, again important.  The stronger they get the fast and better they swim.

I did love talking to and feeding the dolphins but mermaids?  Eh.  Might be nice.  Haven't met one yet so can't say.  Again, the longer you can interact with the dolphins the more you can do, to a point.

Nice, unusual fish but awfully hard to find three places to fish from.  I finally gave up and took a trip to Willow Creek and San M. to get those three places.  I did like the fact that you can come up with a rare, endangered specie and are given the choice to do the right thing and release or let it go.  Our whole family enjoys fishing so we're pretty aware of that sort of thing.  If you won't eat it, don't catch it to kill it.

I was sort of looking at it to see of it would be good for dynasty play.  Only one lot, 50 x ? which is pushing the size and not a whole lot to do on the Islands.  Not sure it would work.  A nice place to vacay though.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 01:05:24 AM »
OK I have played this expansion quite a bit now. It has it's pluses and minuses. Over all I give it a solid B.

First the pluses.

The world is beautiful and ocean swimming is a nice change of pace. I like the world even if it has some issues. I also like you can improve it. It is great eye candy.

Mermaids and new lifestate is a good thing in my book. While they are not as developed as vampires they are still fun to play. Plus if you don't want them they blend in and will not be in your face. you have to look for them if you want them. I also love making storms. Great fun.

Odd jobs are kind of fun when starting out. I like them. Lifeguard is a great teen career with new permanent activities and socials it is a great add for a part time career.

Conservationists This career has great traits if you earn level ten and is an active career. I think it is worth pursuing. It does have some down side though it is very isle based and not really feasible if you don't live on the volcanic island or plan of traveling there a lot.

I love the volcanic lot trait. My dreams of building a post-apocalyptic word is reality. I also love the island spirit lot trait it feels more haunted than haunted does in my opinion.

Now for the minuses.

There is sometimes pathing issues in the town especially if you have to cross the water.

Mermaids and the conservationist career are not exactly compatible. In the stay in home mode you will be asked to "survey ocean wildlife" at least in the Marine Biologist branch. This is a snorkeling interaction a a buoy. Mermaids can't snorkel making it impossible. In fact this eliminates all actions at several buoys. This is just bad game design. Conservationist career has another issue as well, you can't really do that career if you are on a lot that is Off-the-Grid like two of the three lots start out as on the island the career start as. This is made worse by the lack of a library in town.

Then there is the issue of scouts not being able to count fishing in the island fishing holes toward the outdoors badge. This is likely a bug but it is annoying.

Also that brings up another issue the play is pretty limited to just one world. Mermaids are kinda tied to the water limiting there play outside of their little world. Yes you can play them but they are kinda nerfed if you do. The main career is limit to the world that it came with as well. Swimming in the ocean is a one world activity. See a pattern? it is kind of self contained like Strangerville. It's main impact outside of the islands it came with is largely limited to CAS and build/buy items. For an expansion I expect a bigger impact on the whole game.

And the last negative that annoyed me is you can't build basements or ground level pools is lots with ocean on them. This kills a lot of what could be done with these lots.

Overall I am a fan of this pack and am extremely glad I have it. Adding a new occult alone is worth it to me. I feel it is a good addition. It isn't as game changing as Seasons and is somewhat self contained, but I enjoy it. It could have been much better though and somethings in my opinion was not quite thought out. I give it a solid B. It is a great expansion but it could have been so much better. Honestly it feels kinda more like a game pack then an expansion to me. I still love it though. They had me at Mermaids. And had I bought it instead of had it gifted I would be happy with it. I feel it is worth its purchase price.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »
Sulani is really beautiful, and the first time I sent my Sim there, I felt more relaxed and laid back myself. I love the volcano and am looking forward to an eruption.

I'm not disappointed in the expansion, but I have to say, Sulani feels more like a destination world to me than a place where my Sims would live. Maybe that's because I'm using it as a vacation spot for the Sims I'm currently playing. I think it might be a good starting world for The SimTech Dynasty, but I wouldn't use it for the Immortal Dynasty.

I do plan to have my Sims learn more about the culture, and I'm curious whether there's a story behind that stone outcrop that's carved into the shape of a turtle. I also like the new music for the intro and build/buy.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
Sulani is really beautiful, and the first time I sent my Sim there, I felt more relaxed and laid back myself. I love the volcano and am looking forward to an eruption.

I'm not disappointed in the expansion, but I have to say, Sulani feels more like a destination world to me than a place where my Sims would live. Maybe that's because I'm using it as a vacation spot for the Sims I'm currently playing. I think it might be a good starting world for The SimTech Dynasty, but I wouldn't use it for the Immortal Dynasty.

I do plan to have my Sims learn more about the culture, and I'm curious whether there's a story behind that stone outcrop that's carved into the shape of a turtle. I also like the new music for the intro and build/buy.

I agree with most of what you said but disagree about it not being a good world for doing an ID.  At the moment I'm playing my "founder" as if she was doing an ID, though it won't ever be a story.  (Too many no no's been done).  There are what, two?, lots that are the bare 50x50 minimum.  I chose the shipwreck and while leaving it looking pretty much the way it was, (you don't really have a choice in that unless you bull doze), I'm building down, (so far two levels), as well as up, (greenhouse).  So the accommodations work at least there.  Unfortunate you can't have a pier or such there but there is so much more on the island you can just skip that feature.  The same careers are available, children are possible, and the same, as a matter of fact more, aspirations are available.  Of course you would have to NOT do body builder but you can max it without doing the aspiration.  There are even local part time jobs for teens, (or adults if that's what you want, like my mermaid is a life guard and my merman, husband of founder who is human, is a diver.)  As for pollinators, if you so choose, there is really not much sexier than a mermaid/merman kiss.  So romantic!  I doubt they'd even have to wear that funny looking outfit my pollinators usually get.  Since there are few restrictions on travel, they can go anywhere to do the usual things you would do in a dynasty.  Master handiness and go to the grotto, visit the hermit, go see Salvadorada.  It might be tricky, but I think it's doable and so much more fun than some of the gloomier spots.  As for the SimTech Dynasty, yeah, that would be a lot of fun but having to bull doze island after island would not.    Of course, it does lend itself to the "garden of Eden" theme, doesn't it and if I remember correctly, you don't need a huge lot like you do in ID.  Hmmm, the different times could be really challenging!

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Puppetmaster1

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 12:05:54 PM »
A mile wide and an inch deep.

It looks beautiful.  Paradise Island was my favorite expansion in Sims 3, and in comparison EA didn't put very much energy into Island Living.

They already have the tech in the game for Retail and Restaurants, so it shouldn't have been too difficult to put in Resorts.

Offline Savuti6

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 05:41:33 AM »
Thank you for letting me back in to the forums it certainly has been some time! I deliberatley did not rush out and buy Sims 4 early as have been trolling around here for some time and reading Carls guides , watching the great You Tube videos and really was not sure I would like to go back to a Sims 2 way of playing the game. I have deliberately left off of buying these expensive packs (especially with Origin as have had mega problems with them in the past as we move around the world and they were blocking me every time I had a new IP adress...With Sims 3 at least I could play with my discs offline!) I have finally bitten the bullet and now am back home, after much consideration and your guides and forums have decided to come back in out of the cold.

Re: Island living First Impressions
; I am playing a nerdi mermaid conservationist off-grid and loving it! We spent a year in the Pacific vertually living off-grid and really relate to this EP I have the new Premium Base game (automatically patched) and have bundled
 with Get to Work and Jungle Adventures , have deliberately NOT installed Seasons as I am sure it will rain alot.. my mermaid can sleep in the Ocean!  Poor thing has really got the miniumum and when she is working from home and has to do reseach on the computer has to travel to Willow Springs to the library, no biggy,as she can spread the conservation message around to the kids and townies there , pick a few fruit not available on the island spawners and do her research. She is now level 5 in gardening and has been promoted 4 times after 5 days of her life ..I noticed on Carls guide he said there was no increase in salary if promoted when working from home ..Mmm maybe they fixed this in the new patched version?
She found a cute islander who was really showing his moves fire dancing and she was getting rather stressed living off grid and doing too much water collecting adding ice to the fridge 3 times a day and needed a help mate, after some flirting around the fire pit , drinking" Kava" (sic) and calling him over the next morning I admit to cheating and adding him to the family..Suprise suprise he was a mermaid too! Very slim build and long dreadlocks in his shorts I was confused to see his mermaid icon, blonde hair , makeup and chest covering (scales or body make up? looked like a bra) I wondered if the Kava had gone to my head the night before and the mermaids chatter is very high pitch and dolphin like..My mermaids name is Mansu so oh well as she has a short boys haircut and he/she in mermaid disguise was quite confusing!
They definately clicked and as EA has been celebrating Gay Pride..P'uha's first wish was to whohoo with Mansu (gregarious trait ) despite the fact they were not friends yet and the pink bar had only upped less than 3% ..Off to the mirror to check and off with the make up and wig just to check he was a he, and onto the waterfall; despite the fact she was embaressed from seeing her shower nude and the orange bar had come up, hearts and firworks were soon comming out of the waterfall (lol) Loving Island Living !
The Pro's;
Love the outrigger canoes and avoiding those pesky townies/neighbors popping in so I can get on without their constant babble living on a
deserted island and making a differce to the enviroment appeals to me in real life, love the volcano and the dolphins havent  met any elementals yet my mate is a "Child of the Ocean" Meremaid/ Man and came in with a grade 3 violin skill (none in his inventory?) ..Go figure. Not sure how I can get this quest yet, hope it is possible?
The Con's;
No music to dance to living off grid? Even the fishing skill in Sims 2 and 3 allowed you to carry around your beat box in your inventory! The computers. I can live with my tablet playing games etc but my Mermaid has these regular urges to buy or dance to the stero.  She has obtained level 3 cooking on gas
(Is that gas I smell? came up and gave me a laugh..I do it all the time) Hell's Bells they even have a battery icon for being "energised" Having lived "off grid" for a large portion of my life everyone in Africa, West Indies and Kiribati/Fiji  walks around with a beat box, suggestion to the developers :-
Allow for battery operated radios/beat boxes! Perhaps the new Ecco Living with solar panels etc can fix this would also be nice if we could draw water from a well (salt water showers are icky..I know)
I agree with Puppetmaster 1 Paradise Island was my favourite and do miss the underwater scenes Kudos for the team and re-writing EA's glitchy Sunset Shores and definately intend downloading it afterwards but had to keep moving my main family in Sims 3 to a new world to complete Adventures all of the family trees getting borked and lost my mod during a re-install, so had to give up with any legacy challenges I was excited to play with emotions again after having played and owned all the Sims 2 games (legally despite latter spyware trying to block me everytime I moved to a new country and the latter blue screen of death that players were issuing) I have been a simmer since the very beginning and despite not having interest in dolls as a girl as now a Grandma enjoying my "doll's house" was very frustrated at first with some of the new building tools , not being able to put floos on top of pillars etc; but thanks to Mrs Flynn and some of the building tuts here am enjoying Sims 4 building ; hate the camera controls and the fact that shortcut T doesnt work in live mode anymorehaving to control and right click and drag the right mouse to get my right view is very time consuming.

Just wanted to say how much I appriciciate all you do for the community~Savuti 6

anything