Author Topic: Forced to launch Sims 3 through Origin  (Read 4406 times)

Offline beardeux

• Occult
Forced to launch Sims 3 through Origin
« on: January 31, 2020, 01:52:04 AM »
   Hi All,  I have been playing Sims 3 for years through an icon in my task bar tray and the disk in the drive.  When I started to play Sims 4, it was seldom, but Origin did an update every time.  No problem.  I've been playing Sims 4 for a while now and Origin updates daily.  Again no problem.
   However,   Suddenly, a couple days ago, out of the blue, My Sims 3 game is being launched through Origin with the Launcher showing (which is no longer supported).  This annoys me greatly.  Is there any way for me to bypass Origin on the Sims 3 and play strictly through my disk which has to be in the drive even with Origin.
   I hope I have been clear, but please let me know if you need more information.  I'm playing on Windows 7.  I have no video/graphic problems.  The game plays fine.  It is the fact the Origin is forcing me to use their launch for a complete series disk owned game.  Thanks in advance for your help.
bear deux    :'(
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Nice things come in small packages.
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Forced to launch Sims 3 through Origin
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
If I remember correctly, it was around early 2016, Origin released a patch that tied Sims 3 into Origin. And if you didn't or don't have game updates turned off, your copy gets tied to Origin.

To Untie Sims 3 from Origin, you would have to turn off game updates in the Origin Client > Application Settings >Client Update - Automatic Game Updates.

Then uninstall Sims 3 from Origin, and then reinstall from the disc version.

How to Uninstall Sims 3
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg425178.html#post_Uninstall

Install Sims 3 via Disc
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg425178.html#post_Disc
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:04 PM »
Hi MrsFlynn, I looked at Origin settings and all the application settings are already greyed out including game updates.  So as far as I can see, this shouldn't have happened.  With all the Sims 4 updates it has performed (with game updates greyed out), I can't understand why it would update anything and why just now pick on Sims 3.  If Origin has been tied to Sims 3 since 2016, it has never noticed my Sims 3 till now. 
   I appreciate your quick response.  I'm not sure this can be rectified now unless you/anyone knows of another tactic.  I'll have to carefully consider an uninstall/reinstall.  I have a lot of content.  It's a day's job.
bear deux
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »
As for why it happened if you've already got game updates turned off I don't know.

You may want to ask about it over at AHQ Sims 3 Tech Help Board - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/the-sims-3

They may have some insight into why it updated Sims 3, even if you've got the game updates turned off.

Be aware they may suggest something similar to making sure the option is turned off and uninstalling/reinstalling Sims 3. As that's the only way to get back to patch level 1.67.

If you've got your store content tied to your Sims 3 base game disc, you should be good to go with having store content show up if you reinstall the disc version of the game.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »
Thanks MrsFlynn, I will look into this further. 
bear
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

anything