Author Topic: Unusual Bug: Inactive Toddlers/Children Getting "Lost" Instead of Aging Up  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
So to expand on the title: this isn't a case of those kids getting culled at all. These sims are still in relationship panels (albeit with a blank portrait), show up on party invites if stuck as children, can be chatted with on the phone, etc. They are still technically a part of their original households. But they won't show up if invited over for whatever reason and are essentially not in the world at all. If I install MasterController and go to Status -> Personal for that sim, they are listed as "out of world". Even worse is that the households they are in cannot be made active, and if attempting to move anyone else from the household into them, will cause the game to be stuck at "processing" the move. And that I don't have a good cause or solution for it.

It happens in multiple saves (all my testing has been in a fresh Moonlight Falls because it tends to hit the same few pre-made households within a week, but I also ran into it in Bridgeport, Sunlit Tides, and Appaloosa Plains in the past). The EPs I have on or off don't seem to matter. The cause: unknown, possibly CC. I have been working to figure out the problem packages but it seems to be multiple ones and even those that I've used without issue in the past (Colorbox's elder female clothing) or content that's reasonably popular now and not reported as problem causing (Ifcasims hair). Nothing shows up as corrupt or even a duplicate/conflict on Delphy's dashboard and yet the problem persists. So if anyone's experienced this bug and has identified problem pieces, lemme hear it. Or maybe this is a red herring. I can still do elimination tests but it takes up to a sim week of waiting.

The solution: I've only found one so far that fixes the issue after it hits and it is Overwatch and ErrorTrap. Well of course. But the thing is that I usually don't play with them for dynasty reasons and the solution isn't perfect anyways:

1. It seems to only kick in when I make the affected households active. I don't play mutiple households so this isn't just something I naturally would do anyways.
2. It doesn't always work (in my first save where this hit, I had both mods and others in the NRaas site and it wasn't able to fix my town's lost toddler, so I ended up transferring her genetics to a random "pod person" sim and manually attaching the new sim to her old parents and so on...it could have been a different issue but it had all the hallmarks of this)
3. If it does work, it has altered the face of the affected sim on more than one occasion. Not optimal.
4. It's better to not have the problem at all than to have two mods scramble to fix it.

For what it's worth I have repaired and fully reinstalled my game on multiple occasions in the time I've experienced this (for other reasons), I'm currently working from a new "The Sims 3" folder, and I've been on patch 1.69 since its release.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline deedee_828

• Watcher
I've not had this particular problem specifically, but blank icons is typically related to outfits.

With you mentioning that the 'fix' altered the face of the affected sim, I couldn't help thinking that maybe you have hair or eye cc that is not coded well for toddlers and children that does the same thing?
Is their a way to check those toddlers/children using stylist to check their hair without the game crashing?
Or edit in CAS to check hair and eye color?

But then you said the 'same pre-made households' so it would be odd if they were showing up in game with cc hair and eyes if they were pre-mades!

Are the toddlers/children occults that maybe some cc outfits aren't working with?
I'm grasping at straws to figure what could be wrong!

As for their MC status being listed as 'out of world', I've read at NRaas that stray pets are listed as 'out of town' when they are hibernating and not active in the world.
I know toddlers can't be interacted with when their parents are both at work, the game hibernates them until a teen or older comes home.
But I'm not sure why a child would have such an issue, unless they were at boarding school.
But you didn't mention that and I don't believe inactives have children in boarding school anyway.

And none of that should prevent you from making the home active or cause the game to get stuck when moving someone into the home.

I've done a bit of searching at the NRaas site but haven't come across this particular issue yet.
Have you posted about your issue at NRaas?
Probably not since you don't use mods with your dynasty games, but it may be worth it if someone's come across this before.

But maybe someone else here on the Forum will have had a similar issue and will be able to provide a solution.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
@deedee_828 I tried dragging them to MC Stylist or CAS but I guess they're in that limbo where you can run some MC functions on them but not those ones. Too bad because it sounded like a sound idea! I don't have that option to me anyways according to dynasty challenge rules so it's kind of moot (and let's be real as part of the challenge team, it's a bad look to deliberately break them, also this has all been done in a copy of my main file so no one's disappointed but myself) Pre-made kids age up into CC if you have it because it's treated like any EA CAS part, and it should be a non-issue. I posted my issue at the official forums too (this isn't an NRaas mod thing at its core so I'm sparing them) but we're all confused and very sad. Thanks anyways though!

karlissa

When the sim is missing do they still show up in the household in edit-town split household. If so does taking them out and then putting them back in fix them?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
@karlissa: I swore I tried it but tried again. The action just doesn't happen. I'm having better luck redownloading all my CC (a tragic feat! I keep my digital and IRL hoarding tendencies off this forum but they're a problem that blows up every now and again)