Author Topic: Nuts for Collections  (Read 14502 times)

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
Re: Nuts for Collections
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 07:20:30 AM »
So I think I worked this out correctly but please tell me if I'm wrong.

14 complete collections

1400 - 35 (7 knights) = 1365

22 aspiration (11 milestones each) = 2.1

1265 x 2.1 = 2866.5 Total

Wasn't sure about the decimal, should it be rounded or left?

This was a frustrating but fun challenge, thanks Lena and team.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:32 PM »
Nanabeth and Novaleah had a lot of fun collecting.  Great challenge, I really loved it - and I literally played all day today.

10 complete collections = 10 X 100 = 1,000 pts
Minus 5 points for each Knight of the Octagon Table = 1,000 - (3 knights x 15) = 985

AM = 1.00 + (28 components X .05) = 1.00 + 1.40 = 2.40

Total = 985 X 2.40 = 2,364
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Noyo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 12:59:40 PM »

My completed collections points and Knight of the Octagon minus is exact same on the example. :)

5 x 100 for collections, 2 x 5 = 10 points minus for Knight's, 490.

2 sims completed 25 components of nature aspirations; Aspiration multiplier is 2.25

Final score is 490 x 2.25 = 1.102 points, i could easily achieve 3 - 4 more collections, im aware of, strategy mistakes...

Finished on 1.102 pts then, have fun all. :)

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 04:13:18 PM »
Hello! I 've got some questions please:
-as gaining money is allowed only by selling duplicate collectible items,I guess exploring space with the rocket is off limits,because some missions may make you gain simoleons?
-are we allowed to sell only the duplicate collectible items we find,or is it ok to sell all duplicate items,even collectible items we buy?
-is it ok to sell items via every possible way existing in game,or only via inventory?
-is there a limit of knight of the octagon we are allowed to buy?

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Okay, I think I'm actually going to need some clarification about the limitation on making simoleons. There are at least two collections that give you a monetary reward upon completion; I only knew about one of them, and was more than prepared to leave it incomplete and buy a statue to polish it off, but I've just discovered a second literally at the end of my test run and now I'm paranoid that there's more. Since this was really only a test, I wasn't able to finish all the collections I intend to aim for in my real file, so as things currently stand I'm worried that I'll accidentally invalidate my playthrough by stumbling across a third, hence the need for some clarification...

(also, as Nikitachi's pointed out, there are some... interesting consequences of not being able to make money in any other way, and I very quickly broke the rule in this test file without necessarily meaning to... at least I know what not to do now!)

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
Hello! I 've got some questions please:
-as gaining money is allowed only by selling duplicate collectible items,I guess exploring space with the rocket is off limits,because some missions may make you gain simoleons?
-are we allowed to sell only the duplicate collectible items we find,or is it ok to sell all duplicate items,even collectible items we buy?
-is it ok to sell items via every possible way existing in game,or only via inventory?
-is there a limit of knight of the octagon we are allowed to buy?

Only gaining simoleons is off limits, so if you know you will gain them by doing certain actions you should not do the action.
All duplicate collection items can be sold as the only way to gain simoleons. No restrictions on how you sell them.

And no limit on the knights, just remember they affect your score.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
Okay, I think I'm actually going to need some clarification about the limitation on making simoleons. There are at least two collections that give you a monetary reward upon completion; I only knew about one of them, and was more than prepared to leave it incomplete and buy a statue to polish it off, but I've just discovered a second literally at the end of my test run and now I'm paranoid that there's more. Since this was really only a test, I wasn't able to finish all the collections I intend to aim for in my real file, so as things currently stand I'm worried that I'll accidentally invalidate my playthrough by stumbling across a third, hence the need for some clarification...

(also, as Nikitachi's pointed out, there are some... interesting consequences of not being able to make money in any other way, and I very quickly broke the rule in this test file without necessarily meaning to... at least I know what not to do now!)

You can only gain money by selling duplicate collectibles items. Nothing else.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
Only gaining simoleons is off limits, so if you know you will gain them by doing certain actions you should not do the action.

So as far as I know, I didn't gain simoleons anyway other than selling duplicate items.  But, I ran rocket missions - don't know that I gained simoleons on them (not that I noticed), but leads to my question.  What if we don't know we will gain simoleons doing something, and then they come as a surprise? 

I didn't knowingly do anything to gain simoleons other than selling duplicates, and I don't know that I actually gained simoleons doing anything off limits, but now I am wondering if I did something I shouldn't have.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
So as far as I know, I didn't gain simoleons anyway other than selling duplicate items.  But, I ran rocket missions - don't know that I gained simoleons on them (not that I noticed), but leads to my question.  What if we don't know we will gain simoleons doing something, and then they come as a surprise? 

I didn't knowingly do anything to gain simoleons other than selling duplicates, and I don't know that I actually gained simoleons doing anything off limits, but now I am wondering if I did something I shouldn't have.

Yeah, these concerns are now playing on my mind too. Just now, in a new file, I used debug to complete a collection that I'd achieved in my test run and discovered that completing it gave me simoleons, a fact I'd completely missed while playing previously! So not only is it completely possible to gain simoleons by surprise, it's also awkwardly plausible that the gain will be missed...

EDIT: yep, I'd have disqualified myself had I not come up with this debug wheeze - one of the collections where I was missing just one item in the test run has a hefty cash reward, and it would have taken me completely by surprise!

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
I talked with Metropolis Man about it. And its really hard for us to change any rules two weeks into a challenge.

I for one have never really noticed that i gained simoleons by completing a collection, as that was not where my focus was when completing the challenge. So if i had tested one of those collections it would have come as a shock for me. Same goes for the space trips, they normally cost me simoleons instead as my rocket breaks.

So only work around for this i can come up with is that if you unintentional gain a bit of simoleons by doing something to gain a collectible item or complete a collection then this wont disqualify you, but you should not do it again. If we talk about a ammount of simoleons that would really impact that you could buy a extra knight, then please PM the team so we can take up what we do from there.

If anyone feels this makes them want to do a restart of the challenge, please do so, but I know there is only a week left of the challenge, so I apologise for this.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
There's no neat way around it, that's for sure, so what you've said is entirely fair. My debug experiment has ended up confusing me, in fact, because I've now been given cash rewards for eight collections, two of which I am like 95% sure I have never been given simoleons for before! I'm wondering if this might have been a thing that got changed at some point...

(as it stands, I've had §100 five times and §150, §500 & §5,000 one time each - I've got to stop for now, but I'm definitely gonna keep going later on tonight...)

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »
Ok,thanks to the team for answering.

Doing space missions often gave me some simoleons (no big amounts,max 200-300 I think) in my testing file.
But it's the only way to get space rocks. Is then this collection off limits for the challenge?  Are space missions allowed,or not?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
I have never collected cash awards for completing collections. This is something I watch closely. I am a lover of the collection part of the game. When I am in game later today I will pay closer attention to this and see, but in research every site and rereading Carls guide for collecting, nothing is stated about this anywhere.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2020, 02:21:20 PM »
I for one have never really noticed that i gained simoleons by completing a collection, as that was not where my focus was when completing the challenge. So if i had tested one of those collections it would have come as a shock for me. Same goes for the space trips, they normally cost me simoleons instead as my rocket breaks.

So only work around for this i can come up with is that if you unintentional gain a bit of simoleons by doing something to gain a collectible item or complete a collection then this wont disqualify you, but you should not do it again. If we talk about a ammount of simoleons that would really impact that you could buy a extra knight, then please PM the team so we can take up what we do from there.

If anyone feels this makes them want to do a restart of the challenge, please do so, but I know there is only a week left of the challenge, so I apologise for this.

That sounds fair @LenaLJ.  I am not going to restart.

And yeah, I spent a lot of money repairing the rocket and they never did have much in the bank, so if they did receive something unintentional, it wasn't enough to help them out any, or to be noticed.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 02:48:51 PM »
I don't remember getting any money from rocket ship missions that I completed. I also think if I had and it was a large amount I would have noticed the increase in funds.

EDIT: Just did some testing and of the missions I know I did I didn't get any money reward just a collectable if I got lucky.

anything