Author Topic: GRRRRR Sims 3 Launcher/Origin/EA Play  (Read 6208 times)

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
GRRRRR Sims 3 Launcher/Origin/EA Play
« on: August 23, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
So, Sims 3/Origin/EA Play has once again removed my access to all of my store bought content. It happened while I was actually in game playing in one of the store bought worlds.

When I've tried to go back and reinstall it, the system told me I already it all ready to use. I think it is the interplay between Sims 3 and Windows 10, but who knows, and I have no option but to use Windows 10.

Is there some way of launching the game without the Sims 3 launcher through origin oh sorry, EA Play? I have done all the usual things - clearing caches, repairing the game etc. EA Play/Launcher/Origin have all been updated

Thank you

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: GRRRRR Sims 3 Launcher/Origin/EA Play
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
It's my understanding that if you've got the Origin version of Sims 3 that you cannot by pass the Sims 3 Launcher.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 07:24:35 PM »
How's it blocking it?
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »
How's it blocking it?

If I knew that, I'd know how to solve it. :)

None of the store bought content appears where it usually appears. I have done nothing to remove them. The program itself tells me 'you already have access to it', when I try to down load them again.

Oh well, maybe I should continue to spend more time in Star Trek online and less time in EA products not even Star Trek online forcing me to reset my password each time I attempt to play is as annoying as this ... afterall, I didn't have to buy a thing for Star Trek online, so some inconvenience can be expected and accepted. But I did buy every expansion and stuff pack for Sims 3, all the store bought worlds and just about all the other store product, for them to turn around and carry on in this was is ridiculous.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 12:32:05 AM »
- Dek, I sent you a pm about this.

I'm wondering if it may have happened due to a Windows update and not being able to turn off OneDrive?
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 01:03:26 AM »
- Dek, I sent you a pm about this.

I'm wondering if it may have happened due to a Windows update and not being able to turn off OneDrive?

Oh good point, never thought of that being the potential issue, I'll try it and see

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
Also, hear me out on this: the Sims 3 Launcher actually runs through Internet Explorer on Windows machines for communication and authenticating. Try resetting Internet Explorer as a possible solution, it worked for me when I wasn't able to log in and download Store content.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »
Oh what a great idea, Trip!! I was just thinking of that the other day. That when I have launcher issues, delete IE cache is the way to go!!

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »
Never realised that about the Sims 3 launcher and Internet Explorer. So me deleting all instances of Internet Explorer from my computer probably wasn't the best idea I had.

Thank you Trip

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 11:01:06 PM »
It's been reported that deleted Microsoft Edge browser cache helps fix launcher issues as well? For those that don't have IE installed anymore.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10607/microsoft-edge-view-delete-browser-history

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
*Sighs* I saved and closed game. I went back in to continue playing at a later time, and all store bought content is gone again. Guess I'm just playing with stuff pack/expansion pack/base game content from now on. :(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 01:47:15 AM »
Thanks for posting an update.

I'm really sorry to hear your store content is gone again. I'm wondering if it could be something Windows 10 updates related. In that something breaks the symbolic link regardless if you do a hard link or soft link.

You might try asking over at Microsoft's Help Forum?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

They might be able to confirm if the Windows updates are messing up the symbolic links. And if so maybe there's a way around that.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
@Deklitch can you find the dccache folder in Electronic Arts -> The Sims 3? I wanna know if it's empty or not since that's where installed content through the Launcher goes (don't worry if you don't understand it beyond this)

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 10:09:12 PM »
I'll look that up once I get back to my home computer @ home (rather than my work computer @ home), Trip.

I found very early on during this time that trying to do work at home on a computer that also has Sims 3 and Heroes of Might & Magic 3 installed on it is not a very good idea for me.

Online Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 05:55:48 AM »
I have looked, I seem to have Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > dccache folders on both C Drive and D Drive. both of them have files in dccache. They also have downloaded worlds in the sims 3 worlds folder. Not sure what's going on, as none of the saved worlds appear for me.

Dek