Author Topic: Forum Page Refreshing Issue  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
Forum Page Refreshing Issue
« on: August 31, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »
Hey there,

I have noticed that I have to manually refresh any forum page I'm at, or it will not update. For instance, if there is a new reply to a thread or a new message in my inbox, it won't register. It also happens with replies and messages that I have already read - if I don't refresh the page, it doesn't register as already read. Hope that is not too confusing an explanation ;D

~Nindigo
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Forum Page Refreshing Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
I've been noticing this happens to me too. I thought it was only me, so I didn't say anything. I've been fixing it by logging out, clearing my browser cache and then logging back in if needed.

Not sure what's causing it. It seems to have started after I updated my browser.

I'll pm Carl to see if there's anything he might be able to do to fix the issue.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
It's still happening to me after clearing my cache, but I'm glad I'm not going crazy on my own. :P
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
Right, sorry I meant to say clearing browser cache is a temporary fix to whatever the problem is.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 01:14:11 PM »
Looking a page headers (which tell the browser to cache a page or not) we seem to have the right settings and "last modified" up to the last second. I've just tried disabling letting browsers go back to cached pages, but it's really only supposed to impact specifically the back button.

Not sure what's changed to cause this to just pop up on its own as we haven't changed anything with the server in quite a while. Let me know if this seems to have worked or not?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
Welcome to 2020  ;D

Yep, I went there!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 01:42:35 PM »
Something is still wonky... cause I clicked show unread posts since last visits to see if anything new would show up (aka Sdhoey's post) and it didn't show, even though I looked in the forum and it shows on the forum homepage that it's a new message.

-- errm is any of this making any sense? lol!! :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
@sdhoey  Sounds about right lol

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »
I've now made some server changes to hopefully more explicitly shout, "Hey stupid browser don't cache this page".

Caches are necessary but I hate them sometimes. I've had a lot of problems myself making changes to pages and having them be really sticky from time to time. This may have worked.

Who knows lol. Sorry this is happening to apparently everyone but me, because I'd love to have this problem too! That way, I can see it happening and have an easier time finding the problem.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
It seems to be fixed on my end of things. Hopefully it's fixed for others?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 02:57:35 PM »
That'd be awesome. I did mark all as read and have been using the clock, but I've never paid attention to if the clock is always right. It seems like it will let you go back to cached unless something has changed, which would be a good thing I guess. Until I changed the last thing, it did take me on a time travel journey to just hours ago when I first visited in firefox. It was quite a trip.

So I did isolate it down to being a firefox thing, it seems like what everyone has in common. The browser is being told not to cache it... if this is still happening I'm going to have to know what firefox version you guys are using so I can look into the release notes. It's clear it's some new change on their end and it may just be stricter enforcement of some kind of cache instruction that chrome is more lax about.

Please let me know if its better now or let me know browser version so I can take a look at it from that angle.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
Things seem to be working on my end. Firefox did just have an update. 80.0 is the version I have. Just wanted to note that just in case. :)

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »
I think the issue has solved for me as well. I base that on the fact, that I don't seem to have to refresh a page in order to view my newly added comment anymore. *thumbs up*
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
Whew ok. Thanks you both. Also thanks to Seabody for first telling me the other night that helped get my attention to this. I was actually looking into it this morning when this popped up. I'm glad we got it figured out.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 04:59:43 PM »
Just noting I still seem to be experiencing the issue (Firefox 80 / Ubuntu 20.04) though since it's working for you all up the thread I'm checking to see if there's anything messed up about my browser right now.

EDIT: Noticed after a few more CTRL+F5's it was only occurring on initial page loads now - so nuked my browser cache from orbit and it looks like it's fine again. :)