Author Topic: Strange basement message  (Read 1307 times)

Offline skipsmooth

• Townie
Strange basement message
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:31:36 PM »
Hi.

I am trying to build a basement on a house in Egypt (the Fig House).  There is no foundation on the house - it is built right on the ground floor.  However, when I create a basement at the back of the house and try to add a spiral staircase, it won't allow me to place it.  I get the message 'can't be placed through a foundation.'  This is puzzling since there is no foundation on the house.  Why would I get that message?  Is it a bug?  Is there a way to override this error?  Thanks in advance.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Strange basement message
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:12 PM »
When I get "error" messages like that it usually means that there's something or things interfering with the placement of the stairs.

The only way I know of how to fix it is to:

1. Build the stairs on the outside of the building and then build the house around it.

2. Move the objects/decor and roof out from the space where you want to add the stairs and replace those items/objects/decor and roof and flooring from the ceiling when finished placing the stairs.

-- Make sure you've got level ground to work with, or it may not allow you to place stairs.

I found the house you're talking about and was able to add a spiral staircase behind the bathroom. (added the stairs to outside of house)

Click image to see larger view.

I built a wall around it and added an archway, flooring, wall covering, a light, windows and a door to the room with the two single beds in it, as it didn't originally have a door.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline skipsmooth

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »
Cool!  Thanks again for your help, Mrs. Flynn.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »
You're welcome!! I did save a copy of the house, like it is in the photo if you'd like to have it? To see how I did the remodel "in-person".
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *